• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Justice Ginsburg: Resign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via NPR

Donald Trump is firing back at Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg after she disparaged him in several media interviews. He tweeted late Tuesday that she "has embarrassed all" with her "very dumb political statements" about the candidate. Trump ended his tweet with "Her mind is shot - resign!":

The New York Times ran an editorial Wednesday siding with Trump, saying he is "right" about Ginsburg and that "Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg needs to drop the political punditry and name-calling." Especially because it is an election year and the next president could affect the balance of the court, the Times writes, it is "vital that the court remain outside the presidential process."

Ginsburg had called Trump "a faker" with an "ego" in an interview with CNN. "He has no consistency about him. He says whatever comes into his head at the moment," she said. "At first I thought it was funny," she continued, "to think that there's a possibility that he could be president." She also criticized the candidate for getting free publicity and not turning over his tax returns.

Late last week, she told the Times: "I don't even want to contemplate" four years of a Trump presidency and the effect it could have on the high court. And to The Associated Press, Ginsburg said, "It's likely that the next president, whoever she will be, will have a few appointments to make," Ginsburg said, a clear nod to presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. The AP noted that Ginsburg smiled as she made that comment.

Trump responded earlier Tuesday to the Times in a phone interview, calling Ginsburg's comments and involvement in a political campaign "highly inappropriate" and "a disgrace to the court." He also said her making such comments "only energizes my base more."

Ginsburg isn't the first justice to wade into politics, but it is unusual for a Supreme Court justice to so directly criticize presidential candidates. Critics of Ginsburg point out that the court could easily find itself weighing in on the presidential race in an official capacity — as it had to in the 2000 race between George W. Bush and Al Gore.

nSrMlqN.png

Fuchsdh

I am still amazed that people respond to Trump's tweeting style. It always reads to me as if it's done by some guy who can't come up with a real cutting remark, and so he just says "well, that's dumb!" as a response.

Acorn

I am still amazed that people respond to Trump's tweeting style. It always reads to me as if it's done by some guy who can't come up with a real cutting remark, and so he just says "well, that's dumb!" as a response.
It's like a guy with English as a second language to me.

Volimar

While I usually prefer judges of any level to stay out of politics, it's not unreasonable to expect some of the most respected legal minds of our times to remark on the state of affairs in the country.

Drek

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (and women) to do nothing.

RBG is an American hero and anyone who supports Trump is either a racist, bigot, fascist, or someone ok with racism, bigotry, and fascism.

RBG was friends with Scalia do you know what kind of odious person Trump must be for her to come out against him

And don't worry RBG will retire when Hilary wins and let's her appoint her replacement

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (and women) to do nothing.

RBG is an American hero and anyone who supports Trump is either a racist, bigot, fascist, or someone ok with racism, bigotry, and fascism.

Yep, all bets are off when conservatives are this deranged.

Apharmd

This feels like those moments in rap battles where the enemy can't come up with anything good, so they just say generic things.

"Don't go after me bru, I'll style on you!"

Jag

Yes!

Slayven

This

As much I hate Trump, he is right, not about retiring, but about SCOTUS being unbias.

It's horseshit though.

I mean why else is it easy to guess more or less how contentious issues are going to go and by that I mean: it will be 5-4 depending on how much Kennedy feels the given issue will affect his legacy.

Why do you think we talk about the Kennedy swing vote?

FStop7

Banned
A president calling for a SCOTUS resignation is crossing a red line. Even a presumptive nominee doing so is very poor form.

GutsOfThor

Truth! His supporters should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

Thanks you RGB!

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
So GAF would be okay with a justice calling Obama a terrible human being. Everyone has bias but a justice should know better then to state them in public in an interview.

Maxim726X

A president calling for a SCOTUS resignation is crossing a red line. Even a presumptive nominee doing so is very poor form.

Decorum? What's that?

In a Trump United States, you just say whatever the fuck comes to mind, and then blame the liberal/PC media when there is any blow-back.

Is Obama now a terrible human being?

Trump is. Go RGB go.

Disagree. The SC has to be above the elections, no matter who is running. He has every right to be upset about this.

Maybe she shouldn't be commenting on the election, but it's not like anything she said is wrong. Trump is all of the things she said about him, and honestly her fears and reservations about him are justified. Dislike of Trump is hardly a political statement, I mean even his mannerisms and behavior are enough to turn off anyone who wants the office of president to be a serious and respected position. That's completely ignoring his policies, which are also incredibly despicable.

Personally I don't think Supreme Court Judges should make anything that could be construed as political statements like this.

That being said Trump is probably the worst, most dangerous presidential candidate the US has had in a long time so if you're going to make remarks about something this is a logical choice.

Trump's response is that of a 3rd grader's as per usual

Fracas

#fuckonami
Trump's an idiot but he's mostly right. Ginsburg is more than allowed to have an opinion, but it isn't really her job to make them public.

I completely understand why she spoke out though. Trump is the worse thing that can happen to this country in a long time.

I agree with everything Ginsburg said. Yet I still feel she should stay out of it and keep her opinions on gutter politics to herself. We need our Supreme Court to be beyond election year rhetoric.

Disagree. The SC has to be above the elections, no matter who is running. He has every right to be upset about this.

Everyone should be upset at the example it sets.

The same people here saying she right and she should speak up would freak out if Thomas did the same to Hillary.

So GAF would be okay with a justice calling Obama a terrible human being. Everyone has bias but a justice should know better then to state them in public in an interview.

Define ok?

Will I criticize because I think they're wrong? Sure

Will I say RESIGN? No I'd probably look forward to the day they get off the court *cough* Scalia *cough* but that's because I don't like how they rule on issues not because they said mean things publicly about someone.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So it is ok if it lines up with your political views?

Hes a racist misogynistic piece of shit who bullies people.

Political views have nothing to do with it. He is unfit to be president and that has nothing to do with conservative or liberal viewpoints he may hold.

Maxim726X

Define ok?

Will I criticize because I think they're wrong? Sure

Will I say RESIGN? No I'd probably look forward to the day they get off the court *cough* Scalia *cough* but that's because I don't like how they rule on issues not because they said mean things publicly about someone.

No one is justifying Trump's (predictable) childish response, but we expect this shit from him.

She has to be above this, and has been most of her career. SC Justices should never be political pundits.

JordanN

Banned

Drumpf is in no position to cry about being called a terrible person. It's actually ironic given his whole platform is suppose to be "telling it how it is". In retrospect, he's being complimented.

Obama is not Trump. Trump has said and done things that are so objectively deplorable that even a lot of republicans have called him out on them.

Should RBG have said what she said? Maybe, maybe not. But this isn't the same as talking shit about Romney or Obama or McCain.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I can see Trump's point.

Any SCJ should not be making public comments like this about the executive elections.

Is Obama now a terrible human being?

Trump is. Go RGB go.

Basically. And a conservative putz on the bench calling Obama horrible would be a 'water is wet' moment. Shocker of the century, that one would be. We would have fun calling whichever one said it a shit-heel, because check their history, now someone try and do the same with Ginsburg.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
No one is justifying Trump's (predictable) childish response, but we expect this shit from him.

She has to be above this, and has been most of her career. SC Justices should never be political pundits.

Thomas and Scalia have taken speaking engagements from the Koch brothers.

Mr. X

RBG was friends with Scalia do you know what kind of odious person Trump must be for her to come out against him

And don't worry RBG will retire when Hilary wins and let's her appoint her replacement
Ok I was right remembering she is one of the conservative judges on the bench. This is righteous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom