• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to widow of dead Sargent: 'He knew what he signed up for'

Jackpot

Banned
You really think the family members of a dead soldier are all conspiring to lie about a phone call in their time of grieving?

He probably doesn't, but Republicans will. And if they set up recording of the phone call ahead of time it'll look like all they cared about was catching Trump out.

I can't find the comment now, but I read on here someone saying he can't lie his way out of this one because there will be transcripts. Is that not true then?

Saya

I can't find the comment now, but I read on here someone saying he can't lie his way out of this one because there will be transcripts. Is that not true then?

I'm sure every phone call the president makes from the White House has a transcript but they'll never release it.

Effect

This is going to get worse because trump refuses to ever acknowledge he made a mistake. He also doesn't have the skill or awareness to address this properly. I fully expect him to just outright attack this widow by the end of the day.

This all is stuff trump would say. That's how he speaks. He doesn't prepare for anything. He's not at all empathic. He's never shown to be. He could maybe fake it for a few minutes in person but this is over a phone.

Shadybiz

This is going to get worse because trump refuses to ever acknowledge he made a mistake. He also doesn't have the skill or awareness to address this properly. I fully expect him to just outright attack this widow by the end of the day.

Yes. Unfortunately, I sense an imminent attack on yet another gold star family. The man is a fucking disgrace.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

The entire white house team is probably sitting there.

"No, he wouldn't attack a widow of di..... Some get his phone quick!"

As much as people hate the Kardashians they're the heroes we'd need in a situation like this. Kim would let Trump dig himself into a hole made of lies for the entire day and then drop the transcript, phone recording and video of the call at 5pm.

Measley

You really think the family members of a dead soldier are all conspiring to lie about a phone call in their time of grieving?

Unfortunately since they're black, Fox News viewers think that they're lying by default. Also since the soldier was black those deplorable assholes don't care about his sacrifice or his family. All that matters is what furher Trump has to say about it.

Alucrid

Banned
Unfortunately since they're black, Fox News viewers think that they're lying by default. Also since the soldier was black those deplorable assholes don't care about his sacrifice or his family. All that matters is what furher Trump has to say about it.

as if fox news viewers care about proof or the truth. how many are still birthers?

holygeesus

Banned
God knows, I loathe Trump as much as the next guy, but the quote from the Washington Post makes it sound like Wilson is paraphrasing or taking insinuations rather than having Trump directly come out with the quote in the title

Wilson went on to say Trump “was almost like joking. He said, ‘Well, I guess you knew’ — something to the effect that ‘he knew what he was getting into when he signed up, but I guess it hurts anyway.’ You know, just matter-of-factly, that this is what happens, anyone who is signing up for military duty is signing up to die. That’s the way we interpreted it.

IMO there is a pretty big damn difference between him actually saying it and implying it.

God knows, I loathe Trump as much as the next guy, but the quote from the Washington Post makes it sound like Wilson is paraphrasing or taking insinuations rather than having Trump directly come out with the quote in the title

IMO there is a pretty big damn difference between him actually saying it and implying it.

The soldier's mother SAID it was accurate!

We shouldn't need a damn sworn statement to believe someone over Trump.

Alucrid

Banned

i mean you have the mother of soldier saying the rep's account as accurate

Johnson's mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, told The Washington Post on Wednesday that she was in the car during the call from the White House and that "President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband."

Jones-Johnson, speaking to The Post via Facebook Messenger, declined to elaborate.

But asked whether Wilson's account of the conversation between Trump and the family was accurate, she replied: "Yes."

The soldier's mother SAID it was accurate!

We shouldn't need a damn sworn statement to believe someone over Trump.

I don't understand why this keeps happening in every thread like this.

"I hate Trump but....I can't stand him but....He's a moron but...."

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Is it some kind of coping mechanism because people still can't believe someone this callous and devoid of morals is their leader?

Of course, he criticized Wilson on Twitter just like we all expected. Like clockwork, this guy.

I have never liked Congresswoman Wilson's sense of style (those HATS), but this woman has been upstanding in our community and always highly respected.

I trust her.

Her hats are weird, but an odd sense of style doesn't matter when she actually gives a shit about her constituents, her district, and her fellow human beings. I'm definitely glad she's my Congresswoman. Hold this embarrassment of a president accountable for the awful shit he says, Congresswoman. You're making us proud.

And now we have the widow backing up the statement as well. Go ahead, Trump. Please try running a war widow through the mud. See how that works out for you.

Measley

as if fox news viewers care about proof or the truth. how many are still birthers?

If you want to hurt your brain, watch a few Fox News primetime shows. It's three-four hours of straight Trump ball-licking. It's truly a fact-free universe.

Dyle

Even if he didn't say that exactly, which the mother corroborates, does it even matter? The wife came away feeling disrespected with the impression that he didn't know the dead soldier's name. There's no value in focusing on the minutiae of what was said rather than recognizing the fact that the president of the United States disrespected a dead soldier in a call to his next-of-kin, right on the backs of berating NFL players for disrespecting veterans in their protests and blatantly lying that previous presidents did not do these calls.

mnannola

Trump just is a horrible human being. I'm sorry but things like this should really be grounds for impeachment. Not because of any laws being broken, but just because of how horrible it makes the country look. This is our leader? This is who represents us to the world? This is who the rest of the country should look up, to emulate, to aspire to be? Who would want this man as their friend? Their neighbor? Their Dad?

He needs to go.

Trump just is a horrible human being. I'm sorry but things like this should really be grounds for impeachment. Not because of any laws being broken, but just because of how horrible it makes the country look. This is our leader? This is who represents us to the world? This is who the rest of the country should look up, to emulate, to aspire to be? Who would want this man as their friend? Their neighbor? Their Dad?

He needs to go.

He got elected after insulting a gold star family. So apparently insulting dead soldiers and their families is grounds for being president.

Kurdel

Banned
People still giving Trump the benefit of the doubt.

OAQY5h4.gif

Garlador

He gets the benefit of doubt over a couple of black women....

The guy who insulted John McCain's war record, who dodged the draft 5 times, who insulted and attacked Gold Star families, who falsely claimed other presidents didn't comfort family's of the fallen, all of this on record...

He's a pathological liar, and that's not hyperbole. He's been caught up in these lies time and time and time again.

He doesn't get the "benefit of the doubt". People KNOW he lies. His supporters CHOOSE to ignore the ugly truth, because burying your head in the sand is easier than accepting or admitting culpability that by electing him, they may have backed the wrong horse.

eshwaaz

The guy who insulted John McCain's war record, who dodged the draft 5 times, who insulted and attacked Gold Star families, who falsely claimed other presidents didn't comfort family's of the fallen, all of this on record...

He's a pathological liar, and that's not hyperbole. He's been caught up in these lies time and time and time again.

He doesn't get the "benefit of the doubt". People KNOW he lies. His supporters CHOOSE to ignore the ugly truth, because burying your head in the sand is easier than accepting or admitting culpability that by electing him, they may have backed the wrong horse.
Perfect summary. Dead on.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
He got elected after insulting a gold star family. So apparently insulting dead soldiers and their families is grounds for being president.

Didn't matter because they were not white. That's the mindset of Trump supporters.

Actually, i'm not even sure if they were, it would have actually change something.

His supporters aren't ignoring anything. The vast majority of them know just as well as you do what Trump is but will pretend that they don't because the pain he causes decent people is entertaining to them. This is just a nation wide expansion of "The Apprentice".

jimmypython

I don't understand why this keeps happening in every thread like this.

"I hate Trump but....I can't stand him but....He's a moron but...."

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Is it some kind of coping mechanism because people still can't believe someone this callous and devoid of morals is their leader?

some people just like to counter argue for the sake of counter arguing.

Maxim726X

Of course they're telling the truth.

But Trump can't be caught in the lie unless there is direct evidence... It will, again, be a he said/she said and it can't be pinned to him.

SuperPac

Whenever he makes off the cuff comments I feel like he just says a bunch of phrases, and if he's called on any of it later, he'll pick and choose which one he actually meant and disavow any knowledge of ever saying the other thing as if it never happened. Or he'll word-spew things about the person/group/media outlet trying to call him on it, or say that he has proof even when he does not.

Or he'll couch them with "I heard" or "people are saying" - where he doesn't have to prove anything. And if the media presses him (because who else would?), it's "fake news" and "you media are constantly attacking me / they're allowed to print whatever they want" and soon forgotten - because there is no comeback.

It's been the cycle since his campaign began and it's maybe the saddest part of this whole thing. Can we go back to when political careers were ended if a candidate let out a triumphant "yeaaaah!!"?

Its not his monumental fuck ups that are astonishing to me, its when he fucks up something routine that blows my mind.

Comforting grieving parents or a bereaved loved one isnt rocket science. Almost every adult has had to do this at some point or the other. Even if you dont want to take responsibility as a leader of armed men, you can still feel your way through this conversation and do fine.

But not him. How do fuck up a basic human interaction? Its not even about competence or professionalism when that happens. You failed as a human being when you do that.

Mahonay

Banned
Whenever he makes off the cuff comments I feel like he just says a bunch of phrases, and if he's called on any of it later, he'll pick and choose which one he actually meant and disavow any knowledge of ever saying the other thing as if it never happened. Or he'll word-spew things about the person/group/media outlet trying to call him on it, or say that he has proof even when he does not.

Or he'll couch them with "I heard" or "people are saying" - where he doesn't have to prove anything. And if the media presses him (because who else would?), it's "fake news" and "you media are constantly attacking me / they're allowed to print whatever they want" and soon forgotten - because there is no comeback.

It's been the cycle since his campaign began and it's maybe the saddest part of this whole thing. Can we go back to when political careers were ended if a candidate let out a triumphant "yeaaaah!!"?
This is actually a great explanation of how Trump works in general.

Maxim726X

He gets caught in lies with proof all the time. Crowd size? It wasn't raining during his speech.

Bloody hell.

Don't know if your reply is out of frustration or aimed at me directly, but no shit he lies all the fucking time.

His supporters believe he's telling the truth. His enabling party won't fight back because there if there is no tape of the conversation, they can simply say it's impossible to know. You want this to stick to Trump? You're going to need evidence.

Kurdel

Banned
Of course they're telling the truth.

But Trump can't be caught in the lie unless there is direct evidence... It will, again, be a he said/she said and it can't be pinned to him.

This happens multiple times per week for the last year.

He isn’t some kind of a nimble escape artist, he just smears more bullshit to cover up the previous bullshit.

Don't know if your reply is out of frustration or aimed at me directly, but no shit he lies all the fucking time.

His supporters believe he's telling the truth. His enabling party won't fight back because there if there is no tape of the conversation, they can simply say it's impossible to know. You want this to stick to Trump? You're going to need evidence.

His supporters don't care, evidence or not.

Maxim726X

This happens multiple times per week for the last year.

He isn't some kind of a nimble escape artist, he just smears more bullshit to cover up the previous bullshit.

Harder to squirm out of it if there's literally a tape of him saying this.

And it again muddies the water while he's trying to get his party to rally for his tax reform push.

shiba5

Its not his monumental fuck ups that are astonishing to me, its when he fucks up something routine that blows my mind.

Comforting grieving parents or a bereaved loved one isnt rocket science. Almost every adult has had to do this at some point or the other. Even if you dont want to take responsibility as a leader of armed men, you can still feel your way through this conversation and do fine.

But not him. How do fuck up a basic human interaction? Its not even about competence or professionalism when that happens. You failed as a human being when you do that.

He's a malignant narcissist with zero empathy. You can tell his brain just picks words and phrases that he thinks will make him sound like he cares. He doesn't feel anything (except for himself) and can't relate to anyone who does.

You were just given an example of a case with evidence. I'll give you another, the Access Hollywood tape.

Is this Trump fishing for sympathy? At least he knew what he signed up for....

But hey, at least he’s calling them unlike everyone other president...

Top Bottom