• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump wants health insurance for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
The crazy thing is that Trump is probably one of the few people right now that could actually get healthcare for all through this shitty congress.

The problem is no one seems to be working on a plan to do this. Trump basically has no plan and is relying on the GOP to come up with something. No way will they come up with something that covers all people, increases taxes to pay for it, etc. They will come up with some shitty voucher program.

Trump basically has the GOP by the balls, but he just is not a smart man so he can't use his base for anything really effective.

The GOP is pretty spineless about a lot of shit, but I guarantee you, they will fight any universal health care. I really don't know where you guys are getting this starry-eyed version of a GOP who is going to lay down for something they are almost universally against. It wasn't just the fact that Obamacare was from Obama. They don't want any type of universal, socialized healthcare in any real form. Even if Trump cared about this (and you know he fucking doesn't) they would block him every step of the way. Does the fact that they are already hard at work repealing this with no fucking plan at all give you guys no idea how much they are against this concept?

The crazy thing is that Trump is probably one of the few people right now that could actually get healthcare for all through this shitty congress.

Bams couldn't even get a gov't option off the ground as a discussion point with a Democratic congress. Why would you even consider it remotely possible that anyone, let alone Trump, could get full-blown universal care to happen with a Republican congress?

adj_noun

Bams couldn't even get a gov't option off the ground as a discussion point with a Democratic congress. Why would you even consider it remotely possible that anyone, let alone Trump, could get full-blown universal care to happen with a Republican congress?

'Cause if they don't pass it HE MIGHT TWEET ABOUT THEM!

I'm only kinda kidding.

Blatz

And we will never hear any details of this non-existent plan.

his-utter-confidence-12-percent-plan.gif

A public option bill was passed in the House. It was the Senate and Joe Lieberman specifically that screwed us.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Isn't it sad that this is basically our best case scenario?

Obama said he's fine with that. Don't even have to repeal, just officially name it.

That said someone brought up an interesting approach to this in a conversation earlier today.
- continue federal and state requirements for certain coverage tiers to be offered by all insurance companies, say bronze,silver,gold
- allow below and above tiers to create affordable solutions, say coal for "catastrophic only" and so forth.
- allow insurance companies to sell all plans across state lines only if they also offer the three main plans.
- shift Medicaid to block grants, and expand it for certain populations (kids, disabled...) while adding small copays and removing a lot of central reuquirements to allow flexibility
- negotiate drug prices for medicaid either by state since block grants
- negotiate medicare drug prices in a unified manner.

It's not a huge improvement if at all but it feels sufficiently like a "new plan"

There is no plan, there is no thought process other than to continue to spout populist bullshit that got him where he is.

"Down with Obamacare! Then replace it with the best coverage for everyone and the Mexicans will pay for it!"

Just more fascism.

Apathy

We'll repeal it now, we'll replace it later with something even better

*cue 4 years later *

No replacement, give me another 4 years and I promise you it'll be the best, bigly even.

*cue 4 years latter *

dasvidaniya comrades, I hope you forgot about insurance, excuse me while I go back to private life with billions of dollars waiting for me in business contracts in Russia.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Trump basically has the GOP by the balls, but he just is not a smart man so he can't use his base for anything really effective.

Well, he did use his base to get himself elected, didn't he?

A question: If somehow a health care bill gets passed that has at least the same amount of coverage potential that the ACA has, would that make you change your mind to consider Trump to be a smart man? Or would your gut tell you instead that it must have been something else?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's that his tax returns would reveal whom he has financial dealings with

Not really. That can be hidden among shell corporations and wouldn't show up on a personal return.

and illustrate just how hard the rich can play the tax code to legally pay almost nothing.
If he's doing this, then...

it's quite possible his tax returns would show that he's not nearly as rich as he claims to be.
...his tax returns would appear to look like this.

Although that still only covers his yearly income, and wouldn't necessarily include all of his valuable assets, including dividends that his corporations earn that don't fall under personal taxable income.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, he did use his base to get himself elected, didn't he?

A question: If somehow a health care bill gets passed that has at least the same amount of coverage potential that the ACA has, would that make you change your mind to consider Trump to be a smart man? Or would your gut tell you instead that it must have been something else?

What's coverage potential? If a plan gets passed that keeps every person currently with coverage on new/same coverage, and the cost is better as he promised then he would definitely get major major credit for it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's coverage potential? If a plan gets passed that keeps every person currently with coverage on new/same coverage, and the cost is better as he promised then he would definitely get major major credit for it.

As in, the same number of people who could be covered under the ACA can be covered under whatever the replacement is.

Of course, it's not taking into account other factors like quality of coverage, etc., but I'm trying to keep it simple.

Fine, he got me: I agree with his push to negotiate with the drug companies. Its how other nations are able to get healthcare costs down. I want to say Canada does pricing based on the drug and its similar drugs and the cost in other nations. I could be wrong as that was in an economics class a while ago.

AndyD

aka andydumi
As in, the same number of people who could be covered under the ACA can be covered under whatever the replacement is.

Of course, it's not taking into account other factors like quality of coverage, etc., but I'm trying to keep it simple.

Not could but actually does cover. Many plans could cover, but don't do anything to ensure affordability. Technically any plan, even pre-ACA, could cover 100 percent, but if it's not affordable, it does not matter.

And quality of coverage is critical. Coverage is meaningless if it comes with a 10k deductible on top of high premiums. Or if it's catastrophicc coverage only which does nothing for you on a day to day basis.

You can't pick and choose to make it simple. It needs to be effective, available, comprehensive and affordable at least on par with ACA in each of those respects to be considered a good replacement.

You can do very easily do better on each of those criteria separately, but very difficult to do better on all at once. You can cover everyone by switching everyone to an hsa. You can lower prices by cutting benefits or cutting off preexisting conditions. You can increase benefits by upping the price.

Chumly

That's too big of a variable. I'm sure you could sell cheap plans on the marketplace but limits the insurers responsibility to 10k. that would easily cover as many people as the ACA would but I wouldn't consider that a win. That would be a fucking disaster.

If trump somehow managed to cover as many people as the ACA with coverage that is at least decent I would give him credit. But right now it's all smoke and mirrors unless he fronts something that people can analyze

Skatterd

Republican Sen. Roy Blunt told CNN that lawmakers are still learning how to interpret Trump's statements.
"It's possible the information is conflicting, it's possible we're just not used to hearing the new president communicates yet," Blunt said of Trump's comments.
The Missouri senator gave his interpretation of what Trump means when he says Obamacare will be repealed and replaced at the same time.
"The president saying that this will be repealed and replaced at the same time doesn't necessarily mean it's in the same piece of legislation," Blunt said. "But you and I all hear it that way when we first hear it. But when he hears it he says, we've got a deadline when this goes away, we're going to have something to replace it by the time we get to that deadline or before."
Meanwhile, Rep. Sean Duffy said Tuesday the Trump administration and lawmakers on both sides of the aisle will have to come together on a health care package. The Wisconsin Republican acknowledged the high hurdles to Trump's goal.
"I'm looking forward to Mr. Trump's plan because I haven't seen it yet and I think it's tough to do," Duffy said on CNN's "New Day."

Ahaha

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can someone translate that blurb into English?

Republicans are trying to interpret Trump's words to fit what their goals are. Essentially repeal now and replace later, hence the discussion of different pieces of legislation and discussion of deadlines. Plus they are saying they want to see his plan, which everyone else is saying too.

The preferred Republican Congress approach will likely be like this:
- Repeal ACA next week with a staggered delayed effective date of 12/31/18 (post mid term elections).
- This buys them two years to sign a replacement and gives them cover until after midterms.
- As the deadline approaches, Democrats will be be more and more pressured to sign something, anything, even if worse than ACA, in order to at least keep some people covered.

Trump said he has a plan to replace it immediately "in the same hour" as the repeal, cover the same amount of people and give better coverage with less costs.

They're basically coming to the stunning conclusion that healthcare reform is hard. If they weren't so damn politically motivated (and cared for their constituents a little more) they would have realized that 7 years ago.

Ithil

People need to start understand that more or less nothing he says can be taken as something he means.
He says whatever he thinks the person or people in front of him at that very moment wants to hear to like him. He has no convictions, no morals, no beliefs, his only interest is in feeding his ego and his wallet by any means necessary.

Any answer he gives like this, he will have given the exact opposite answer to someone else because it was what he thought that someone else would want to hear.

Biske

'Cause if they don't pass it HE MIGHT TWEET ABOUT THEM!

I'm only kinda kidding.

There is actually a nugget of truth to this.

So far Trump has been using the bully pulpit pretty well.

So I think in a bizarre world, he probably could get something like National Healthcare through.

Average republicans are too scared not to be his bitch at this point.

mnannola

If he comes up with a plan that somehow provides at least the same amount of coverage as the ACA and doesn't cause rates to skyrocket, I will take back what I said. Without the mandate though, I just don't see how that's possible.

slit

Republicans are trying to interpret Trump's words to fit what their goals are. Essentially repeal now and replace later, hence the discussion of different pieces of legislation and discussion of deadlines. Plus they are saying they want to see his plan, which everyone else is saying too.

The preferred Republican Congress approach will likely be like this:
- Repeal ACA next week with a staggered delayed effective date of 12/31/18 (post mid term elections).
- This buys them two years to sign a replacement and gives them cover until after midterms.
- As the deadline approaches, Democrats will be be more and more pressured to sign something, anything, even if worse than ACA, in order to at least keep some people covered.

Trump said he has a plan to replace it immediately "in the same hour" as the repeal, cover the same amount of people and give better coverage with less costs.

They're basically coming to the stunning conclusion that healthcare reform is hard. If they weren't so damn politically motivated (and cared for their constituents a little more) they would have realized that 7 years ago.

Yeah, I just don't know who speaks that way. It's like a bunch of words randomly jumbled together.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So they're claiming "repeal and replace the same day" means repealing, then delaying the effects of the repeal for two years, and the day the effects go into place to pass a replacement.

And what if they lose control of the house and the senate in that time? Of course this is just placating verbal-diarrhea moving target nonsense.

Obama brought it up in his Vox townhall on ACA. If it's this unmitigated disaster that must be halted to save lives and money, then why delay the effects? And if it's merely flawed legislation that should be replaced in time, why is there a rush to repeal on day one?

I'm just sad for the US at this point.

Price held firm on providing access instead of insurance for everyone.

Everyone already has "access" to healthcare, which he is aware of and has become a buzzword to confuse the ignorant. Of course he knows someone with cancer even has access as long as he pays out the nose for it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Price held firm on providing access instead of insurance for everyone.

Everyone already has "access" to healthcare, which he is aware of and has become a buzzword to confuse the ignorant. Of course he knows someone with cancer even has access as long as he pays out the nose for it.

Yep, the line this morning on NPR was "make sure insurance companies can cover those who can pay" and "the nation must cover those who cannot".

Of note, this bill was filed this morning in TN. TennCare is Medicaid in TN.

TennCare - As introduced, (the bill) directs the commissioner of finance and administration to submit a waiver request to the federal centers for medicare and medicaid services to enable the state to provide medical assistance to the existing TennCare II waiver population and persons with incomes below 138 percent of the federal poverty line by means of a block grant of federal funds.

The ground game for Medicaid block grants is starting.

RenditMan

Banned
It's not that we think he's cheating. It's that his tax returns would reveal whom he has financial dealings with and illustrate just how hard the rich can play the tax code to legally pay almost nothing.

There's also the fact that part of Trump's appeal is that he's some great businessmen, and it's quite possible his tax returns would show that he's not nearly as rich as he claims to be.

He's almost certainly an asset billionaire, can't imagine he's got billions in cold hard cash floating around in his personal accounts.

As long as actual supervillains remain in power over in congress, this won't happen. Privatized healthcare has ensured countless Americans have been rendered bankrupt or dead as a result of exceedingly high costs, but the GOP doesn't care; they'd rather have their pockets lined by the orgs they represent or invest than see citizens live and prosper.

Blunt is pretty much straight up saying that there is no Trump plan. Instead there are some goals that they will try to turn into legislation. So health insurance for everyone means its good to have health insurance. Repeal and replace the same day means we want to replace Obamacare in a reasonable timeframe.

I'm also worried about something. I do quality for health insurance, thankfully. However, should I go ahead and buy my health insurance now? I'm just wondering if Trump will repeal Obamacare immediately, or at least let it run until next year.

Any thoughts? Can he do this? I don't want to buy something that he just appeals two weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom