• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump wants health insurance for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

slit

He has no details to share but I'd like to know how the GOP is going to react if he tries to expand gov't influence in healthcare. Hopefully they all fall into a rage induced coma.

Trump vows health insurence for everyone

President-elect Donald Trump said in a weekend interview that he is nearing completion of a plan to replace President Obama's signature health-care law with the goal of ”insurance for everybody," while also vowing to force drug companies to negotiate directly with the government on prices in Medicare and Medicaid.

Trump declined to reveal specifics in the telephone interview late Saturday with The Washington Post, but any proposals from the incoming president would almost certainly dominate the Republican effort to overhaul federal health policy as he prepares to work with his party's congressional majorities.

Trump's plan is likely to face questions from the right, following years of GOP opposition to further expansion of government involvement in the health-care system, and from those on the left, who see his ideas as disruptive to changes brought by the Affordable Care Act that have extended coverage to tens of millions of Americans.

In addition to his replacement plan for the ACA, also known as Obamacare, Trump said he will target pharmaceutical companies over drug prices and demand that they negotiate directly with Medicaid and Medicare.

I'm ok with that. Not sure how it'll get done.

He won't. He just likes to say things because he knows nobody will ever hold him to it. Just like "The Wall" will go from "We'll make Mexico pay for it!" to "We'll pay for it but Mexico will pay us back!" to "Okay maybe we'llj ust build a couple of fences" to "Fuck the wall".

royalan

I'm with President Obama. If Trump/Republicans have a plan that is cheaper, covers more people, and provides the same quality of coverage, go ahead and show us.

It'll never happen, though. Because they don't.

All Trump's comments do is force Republicans to take sole responsibility when they inevitably fuck up the ACA.

RPGCrazied

Yeah right. Only if you have a salary. Low income and unemployed aren't going to get anything. Like it use to be before Obama came along.

Lol sure. Donald trump literally says whatever he thinks the audience he is speaking to wants to hear to make him like him. Have him go on Hannity and he will do a complete 180

But this is a nice distraction to try and stop people from protesting millions being thrown off their health insurance. Don't fall for this BS and if he is actually telling the truth wait for the dotted line to be signed

Beautifully covered....lmao

Much like his initial VP pick and the groups that are performing at his inauguration, what Trump wants and what he gets are often two different things.

It'd be great if he did it (and did it well), but I don't believe that he will.

RoKKeR

”It's not going to be their plan," he said of people covered under the current law. ”It'll be another plan. But they'll be beautifully covered. I don't want single-payer. What I do want is to be able to take care of people," he said Saturday.

So it is going to be universal healthcare then? Government safety net? ACA? There is no other way to have "everyone" insured.

I get the sense that he doesn't know what he's doing. Shocking, I know.

Even in the best case scenario that he actually wants this.

Does anybody really believe the GOP would let that happen?

That being said, I don't buy for a second that he has a plan or that he actually cares about health insurance for everyone, so.

Breads

Banned
Trump says a lot of things.

The only thing that's consistent with him is that he says what people want to hear at the time.

And his supporters are reaaaaaaaally sure he means it this* time.

Kusagari

I actually legitimately believe Trump does want a health insurance plan like this, he constantly said he wanted single payer before running for president, and is putting his party that wants nothing to do with this in the untenable position of trying to live up to his promises they can't/won't deliver on.

He won't. He just likes to say things because he knows nobody will ever hold him to it.
And this forces the Left to argue amongst itself about the validity of obstructionism at all cost when he is appearing to hold out a piece of meat they've slavered over for so long.

giga

”It's not going to be their plan," he said of people covered under the current law. ”It'll be another plan. But they'll be beautifully covered. I don't want single-payer. What I do want is to be able to take care of people," he said Saturday.
goodluckwiththat.gif

cDNA

How is he gonna pay for it if his main plan is reducing taxes across all incomes and reduce the taxes for business too?

GutsOfThor

Sure you do little man.

I'm betting by Tuesday he will have reversed his position and then by Friday he will come back to this.

danm999

Trump is an inspiration for kids everywhere who haven't done their homework and need to bullshit their way out of it with vague platitudes and general word salad.

Fox318

He has no idea why he hates Obamacare and no idea how to implement this.

People hate Obamacare because it has Obama's name in it and because people think the program is about taking money from their pockets to give to people who are illegal immigrants or on food stamps and welfare not working.

There are plenty of issues that need to be fixed like the impact on small businesses, doctors not taking insurances they used to, adults up to 26 staying on their parents plan instead of helping to pay into a company's health care plan to subsides the workers over 50, businesses reacting to changes by making everyone part time.

These aren't easy problems to fix. Unless the government is willing to completely pay a fixed rate.

They also need to go after hospitals and doctors using pricing models that aren't fair to consumers and insurance providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom