• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's health advisor tried to kill HIV/AIDS funding, said it went to prostitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
I lost it at her Zika tips

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanto...or-hivaids-r?utm_term=.nk2GkdWM9q#.nk2GkdWM9q

President-elect Donald Trump’s new health policy adviser, Katy Talento, tried to kill funding for HIV/AIDS research by claiming the money was going to support Russian prostitution, and she has suggested women can avoid the Zika virus by having their husbands sleep on top of the covers at night.

Former Rep. Henry Waxman, a California Democrat who fought efforts by conservatives to eliminate AIDS research funding during the George W. Bush administration, told BuzzFeed News, “This appointment raises a lot of alarm bells.”

“This is a key position in the White House for health policy,” Waxman said, adding that he is concerned Talento may represent a new push against contraception and efforts to combat the spread of HIV/AIDS.

“I hope this administration is not going to roll back the clock … on what we can do to prevent sexually transmitted diseases,” Waxman said.

Talento has a master's of science degree from Harvard University, and according to the Trump transition team’s press release on her appointment, she has “worked in the field on disease control programs in the U.S. and in Africa.” A biography posted at the Leadership Institute, where Talento serves as a volunteer faculty member, says she has also focused on “HIV prevention among injection drug users in the U.S. and Russia.” Talento is also a veteran Senate staffer who has worked on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, as well as for Sen. Thom Tillis, a North Carolina Republican.

The announcement was met with alarm from women’s health groups, who have taken issue with Talento’s belief that oral contraceptives can cause abortion, despite a clear consensus among researchers that they do not.

Talento’s recommendations for avoiding the Zika virus, blamed for severe birth defects in infants, have also raised eyebrows. In January she published a list of tips for avoiding the virus. While many of the recommendations are fairly standard — avoiding areas where mosquitos breed and using bug repellent, for instance — they also suggest that women “sleep with your husband, with you snug under the covers and him on top of the covers, offering himself as human sacrifice to the mosquitos, who will pick the easier target.”

Trump's doing a great service to humanity by gathering the most incompetent people in the country all in one room. Now we just need to swap the "PULL" sign on the inside of the door with "PUSH" and our problems will be over.

Considering males can get infected, and then Zika can then be transmitted through sexual intercourse to the woman... that is incredibly stupid.

Unless she is also implying married people don't have sex.

...which is also incredibly stupid.

Considering males can get infected, and then Zika can then be transmitted through sexual intercourse to the woman... that is incredibly stupid.

My first thought as well. Like, even if this bullshit sacrifice idea worked, it wouldn't matter because Zika is an std

women “sleep with your husband, with you snug under the covers and him on top of the covers, offering himself as human sacrifice to the mosquitos, who will pick the easier target.”
I can't even,,,

How is that sentence that a human being was able to conceive?

women “sleep with your husband, with you snug under the covers and him on top of the covers, offering himself as human sacrifice to the mosquitos, who will pick the easier target.”
I guess that thread about men being at the bottom of the totem pole was partially right

Sushi Nao

Holy shit at that Zika quote. How can someone who graduated from Harvard be so stupid?

None of this is stupidity, remember that. These are very carefully considered rhetorical constructions which will ultimately enable removing public money in order to give it to private interests.

...or not so carefully. The objective remains.

ZOONAMI

Sex is only for procreation. Duh

/s

AHA-Lambda

“sleep with your husband, with you snug under the covers and him on top of the covers, offering himself as human sacrifice to the mosquitos, who will pick the easier target.”

Come on. That's not real.

Come on...
SURELY, that's not real??

Bluenoser

How is it even possible that he could put together such an unqualified cabinet. It's like he's picking people from his contact list on his phone.

Do Better

I'm guessing she's pro life and pro diseases that affect the disenfranchised, and those are the reasons why she has this job.

Dai101

Banned
No one can seriously be this fucking dense, right?

...right?

Also lol at Russian prostitutes

UQKV940.png

Apathy

As a person outside looking in, this administration is going to make for so many funny and sad quotes. How in the hell could anyone seriously think up that zika statement, then let it process, then let it come out of her dumb mouth. Wow

As a person outside looking in, this administration is going to make for so many funny and sad quotes. How in the hell could anyone seriously think up that zika statement, then let it process, then let it come out of her dumb mouth. Wow

This isn't the first time we've had a cabinet full of dipshits. Look at what Reagan's administration heads had to say about poverty, starvation in Africa, race relations, school lunches, apartheid, drug addiction, the AIDS crisis, etc etc.

Fred-87

I feel i get stupider every time i read a trump topic. how can this woman be real. its like a cartoon character

As Someone Said the other day, we Assume that She actually has Some power. I don't Nessessarily think that is Accurate. Trump doesn't Exactly hAve to listen. Time will tell if I am Right. Unless My Perception is correct, of course

I'm all out of comments to make on this president, this cabinet, his supporters and the atrocity that is the GOP. They should be abhorred by all.

Its unfortunate that they have convinced so many that they are for you, when all they do is peddly in bigotry and degenerate ideas that will set the nation and the populace back years. I guess ignorance is bliss which is apt as the GOP has spent a large amount of their effort ensuring the masses are poorly educated. Trump relished in that and pointed it out to hia audience of supporters who wore it like a badge of honor.

Linkura

they also suggest that women “sleep with your husband, with you snug under the covers and him on top of the covers, offering himself as human sacrifice to the mosquitos, who will pick the easier target.”

blinking_sword_in_the_stone.gif

Dafuq.

It's like Trump is actively trying to find the worst possible fit for these positions.

jmood88

Holy shit at that Zika quote. How can someone who graduated from Harvard be so stupid?
Because graduating from Harvard isn't a measure of intelligence. School is an easily-gamed system that doesn't necessarily tell you anything about how smart a person is.

daveo42

Banned
That Zika comment is even better because she seems unaware that men can also transmit the virus to women through intercourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom