• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's latest budget proposal: "dead on arrival on Capitol Hill"

KSweeley

Link: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/23/playbook-donald-trump-budget-238708

TRUMP'S BUDGET OUT TODAY -- “Trump’s budget hits his own voters hardest: The president’s proposal for next year’s federal spending calls for more than $1 trillion in cuts to social programs, including farm aid,” by Andrew Restuccia, Matt Nussbaum and Sarah Ferris: “Rather than breaking with Washington precedent, Trump’s spending blueprint follows established conservative orthodoxy, cutting taxes on the wealthy, boosting defense spending and taking a hatchet to programs for the poor and disabled -- potentially hurting many of the rural and low-income Americans that voted him into office. …

“The president’s budget plan calls for more than $1 trillion in cuts to a wide range of social programs with millions of beneficiaries, from farm subsidies to federal student aid. That includes a $600 billion cut to Medicaid over 10 years, despite Trump’s repeated promises on the campaign trail not to cut the program. The budget also takes an ax to the federal food stamp program and Social Security Disability Insurance.

-- THE REALITY ABOUT BUDGETS… -- This budget -- like President Barack Obama’s budget before it -- is dead on arrival on Capitol Hill. But it does represent a negotiating point for the administration as they pursue other budgeting priorities. That being said, we believe it’s going to be difficult for the House and Senate to pass a budget this year, which could stall -- or stop -- tax reform.

old

If it's like health care, he'll keep pushing and pushing until he wins. He won't even care what is in it as long as he wins.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's not get crazy. Very real chance this was just a cover so the modified one that still screws over poor and middle-class doesn't look as bad.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It will be amazing if Republicans don't support this because it is something they have been dreaming of all these years. Haha!

If it's like health care, he'll keep pushing and pushing until he wins. He won't even care what is in it as long as he wins.

He didn't 'win' with heathcare. He barely passed a bill through the House, which is now looking to actually have to go back to House again, which starts the process all over again.

RPGCrazied

Trump supporters played themselves. This stuff will hurt them the most. Can't say I feel sorry for them though.

Lessons need to be learned.

Let's not get crazy. Very real chance this was just a cover so the modified one that still screws over poor and middle-class doesn't look as bad.

He's essentially trying his dumb tactic of going so far in one direction that his "true win" is meeting in the middle. The problem is that his proposals are fucking ludicrous.

shiba5

That's a relief - for now. I get SS Disability and literally started hyperventilating when I read it was on the list of cuts.
This President doesn't care about anyone but the rich.

People said the same thing about his Skinny Budget, too. No, this is the budget that the White House wants.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
TRUMP'S BUDGET OUT TODAY -- “Trump’s budget hits his own voters hardest

NO SHIT. It's almost like the thousands of experts who said Trump would be a terrible president and would make life harder for his base knew what they were talking about.

Bingo. Shoot for the stars, and you'll end up on the moon. Only in this case it's one of those moons from Dead Space that kill things.

He didn't 'win' with heathcare. He barely passed a bill through the House, which is now looking to actually have to go back to House again, which starts the process all over again.

Yes, but he got to say he did a thing, and that's all he cares about. Hell, half his brain dead supporters who don't know how the government works probably think "Obama Care" is actually repealed and replaced already.

shiba5

Yes, but he got to say he did a thing, and that's all he cares about. Hell, half his brain dead supporters who don't know how the government works probably think "Obama Care" is actually repealed and replaced already.

The way they were partying, I'm not sure the GOP knows how Government works either.

Tovarisc

Even more winning coming soon!

Gp2Qtt7.png

https://twitter.com/kevcirilli/status/867030787090239488

I'd actually take that bet. If it's one thing we've seen, the healthcare thing has brought a lot of people, even general 'low information voters', into watching this pretty closely. When it comes to something that directly affects them, even the less engaged person can get pretty fucking attentive pretty fucking quick.

There's a strong part of me tempted to see this pass, which then proceeds to fuck up his voters, THEN see them proceed to still defend Trump.

I really want to see how deep their madness would take them, how much they're willing to give to their American Idol.

His budget, like most presidents' budgets, is fantasy land. Congress isn't going to shred any of those programs. It's a good political attack, but there's no actual risk of this becoming law.

shiba5

There's a strong part of me tempted to see this pass, which then proceeds to fuck up his voters, THEN see them proceed to still defend Trump.

I really want to see how deep their madness would take them, how much they're willing to give to their American Idol.

I didn't vote for him and cuts to disability would hurt me greatly. I understand the feeling though. If only his voters suffered, I wouldn't give a shit. This is what they wanted.

I understand that desire for retribution, but it's always worth keeping in mind that these won't just affect Trump voters. There's a lot of people in this class who didn't vote for him that will be utterly fucked.

KSweeley

I didn't vote for him and cuts to disability would hurt me greatly. I understand the feeling though. If only his voters suffered, I wouldn't give a shit. This is what they wanted.

I have the same opinion.

I also did not vote for Trump knowing he would be a bad choice since he had no previous political experience which I feel Presidents should at least have some political experience.

I'm also on SSDI so cuts to the SSDI program would affect me. I'm already in poverty due to my only primary income is SSDI and my monthly SSDI amount is literally poverty level for a single person. I can't afford to rent an apartment in my area, my SSDI amount is that small.

Penguin

So I'm curious aside from those who worship Trump and everything he does, if this has no chance of passing... why roll it out?

Like it shows your hatred for most people and desire to give tax cuts to the wealthy on a public stage that will be used against him and his already low public standing?

shiba5

I have the same opinion.

I also did not vote for Trump knowing he would be a bad choice since he had no previous political experience which I feel Presidents should at least have some political experience.

I'm also on SSDI so cuts to the SSDI program would affect me. I'm already in poverty due to my only primary income is SSDI and my monthly SSDI amount is literally poverty level for a single person. I can't afford to rent an apartment in my area, my SSDI amount is that small.

I'm really sorry. Let's hope this goes in the trash bin of history.

Top Bottom