• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TS3:FP - New Screens from all 3 Versions

Error Macro said:
OH DOODZ, I KNOW!! HALO IS LIKE SOOO ORIGINAL!!!

Come on man, Timesplitters did not give console FPS's a bad name. What a load of crap. It was a good game in it's own right. TS2's multiplayer was better than Halo, IMO. So was the single player.
Seriously.... :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Littleberu said:
Depth? In Halo? Even Doom has more depth and strategy than Halo. Halo is a good game, and an awesome MP game, and only because it's an easy pick-and-play game IMO.

Now THAT is funny. You really don't know how to play Halo do you?

dark10x: First, I'd have to ask what you define as depth. For all intents and purposes, Halo has no more "depth" than any other DM title. You find a weapon, you aim at another person, you shoot, and try not to get hit. I know that's horribly generalized and I'd normally try not to that (you can generalize everything to something really basic), but in FPSes...that's it. There's no strategical decisions or plans. There's no sort of customization that would allow some sort of advantage on your behalf. Kill or be killed.

Oh, and insulting someone else's ability to play a game because they disagree with you doesn't make you or your points look good.

ge-man

"Oh, and insulting someone else's ability to play a game because they disagree with you doesn't make you or your points look good."

This is the GAF--everyone's opinion doesn't mean shit unless it's your own.

dark10x

Tre said:
dark10x: First, I'd have to ask what you define as depth. For all intents and purposes, Halo has no more "depth" than any other DM title. You find a weapon, you aim at another person, you shoot, and try not to get hit. I know that's horribly generalized and I'd normally try not to that (you can generalize everything to something really basic), but in FPSes...that's it. There's no strategical decisions or plans. There's no sort of customization that would allow some sort of advantage on your behalf. Kill or be killed.

Oh, and insulting someone else's ability to play a game because they disagree with you doesn't make you or your points look good.

The shield, the limitation of only two weapons, superior grenade usage, and slower movement are mechanical reasons. However, when you get down to it, Halo is MUCH more situational than just about any other FPS. When you play UT, you spend the match running around jumping while collecting as many weapons as possible and trying to own everything on the field. In Halo, you have to consider that many situations combined with your weapons loadout will yield very different results from all sides. Knowing how to quickly take down a shield and kill them is important and knowing how to do it faster than anyone else will give you plenty of kills. You CAN take damage because of the shield, so when played effectively, you can remain undamaged for quite sometime. In UT, when you hit someone with a couple rockets...you know that the only way for them to recover is to find health kits. In Halo, if you can not finish the job quickly, their shield will recover itself and your attack will have been for naught.

There really are no one hit kills, special combos, and level based tactical situations to worry about in UT. Halo is all about those types of things. Virtually everything has a counter attack that you must keep in mind.

The fact is, you can not simply move around a level in the same fashion as UT. At any moment death could come and you should always equip specific weapons depending on what type of area you might be in. You move so quickly and play so differently in UT that you NEVER see this sort of gameplay.

Perhaps later on, when I have time, I can explain with more detail just how important those things really are. I also used to feel that Halo had a very shallow multiplayer mode, but upon really learning it with others I discovered just how much MORE there is to it. You don't just run around, aim, and shoot...and if you do, you WILL die.

That's why my comment was NOT an insult. If someone believes that Halo has LESS depth than Doom, that is solid proof that they have not really put in the time with Halo (much less understand how the game can really play).

Halo is to VF4 as UT is to DOA3...

Based on your statement, your idea of depth is complex menus and all kinds of similar additions. Halo is deep from a pure gameplay standpoint similar to how VF4 is loaded with depth while only offering THREE buttons.

The shield, the limitation of only two weapons, superior grenade usage, and slower movement are mechanical reasons. However, when you get down to it, Halo is MUCH more situational than just about any other FPS. When you play UT, you spend the match running around jumping while collecting as many weapons as possible and trying to own everything on the field. In Halo, you have to consider that many situations combined with your weapons loadout will yield very different results from all sides. Knowing how to quickly take down a shield and kill them is important and knowing how to do it faster than anyone else will give you plenty of kills. You CAN take damage because of the shield, so when played effectively, you can remain undamaged for quite sometime. In UT, when you hit someone with a couple rockets...you know that the only way for them to recover is to find health kits. In Halo, if you can not finish the job quickly, their shield will recover itself and your attack will have been for naught.

There really are no one hit kills, special combos, and level based tactical situations to worry about in UT. Halo is all about those types of things. Virtually everything has a counter attack that you must keep in mind.

The fact is, you can not simply move around a level in the same fashion as UT. At any moment death could come and you should always equip specific weapons depending on what type of area you might be in. You move so quickly and play so differently in UT that you NEVER see this sort of gameplay.

Perhaps later on, when I have time, I can explain with more detail just how important those things really are. I also used to feel that Halo had a very shallow multiplayer mode, but upon really learning it with others I discovered just how much MORE there is to it. You don't just run around, aim, and shoot...and if you do, you WILL die.

That's why my comment was NOT an insult. If someone believes that Halo has LESS depth than Doom, that is solid proof that they have not really put in the time with Halo (much less understand how the game can really play).

Halo is to VF4 as UT is to DOA3...

Based on your statement, your idea of depth is complex menus and all kinds of similar additions. Halo is deep from a pure gameplay standpoint similar to how VF4 is loaded with depth while only offering THREE buttons.

Hahaha, you prefer one game over the other so it has masterful depth? What a bunch of malarkey.

The bolded part in particular is hilarious. "Playing with a 16 inch softball has more depth than playing with a baseball because I have the time to think about whether I'm going to hit it far, on the ground or in the air."

akascream

Banned
I made it this far:

After playing Halo and Ts2 multi this weekend, I've found I like Ts2 quite a bit more. Its more fun and more polished and more to my liking.

LOL.. wait:

you aim at another person, you shoot, and try not to get hit.

LOL.. what a flawed over-generalization. The strategies in Halo are top notch. Everything from situational gun effectiveness to grenade usage. And it all depends on which difficulty mode you are playing. The shield dynamic is brilliant, the gun interaction is solid, the AI fun to spar against. Everything about the game (minus some repetative level design) screams quality. The game is infinitely replayable.

Anyone that can honestly compare the genius of Halo to the shitty gun interaction, poor control and overall uninteresting nature of Timesplitters is in serious need of a fanboy check or a cat scan.

Matlock

Banned
akascream said:
LOL.. what a flawed over-generalization. The strategies in Halo are top notch.

Pistols.

That said, I enjoyed TS2 multiplayer more than Halo's because of the wide range of weapons and playmodes. Plus the fact it's fast-paced and batshit insane.

I'm looking foward to both of Free Radical games, Second Sight is looking very interesting, I think it will turn out better than Psi OPs.

TS3 problem would be the controls, they have to fix the controls. Hire someone who has knowledge in controller programming.

I love playing Halo and liked playing TS2, hitting someone in the back of the head in a melee attack, through a plasma grenade on someone while back is turned, timing grenade tosses so can flip the warthog so the read team doesn't score with flag.

To be honest I loved both them, TS2 variety in options its just mind blowing.

siamesedreamer said:
TS2 = worst aiming in a FPS ever

Agreed. TS2 is soooo over-hyped its not funny. And its graphics...
puke.gif

IMO, naturally. =)

crumbs

I'm pretty surprised how many people like TS2, the game was the defintion of mediocre. I was looking forward to, but luckily I rented rather than make a blind purchase. Single was boring, but multiplayer was above average. It had a lot of control options, but aiming never felt right. Maybe they can fix these things, but I'm not holding my breath.

=W=

TS2 > Halo

And unless they've completely changed Halo's horrible weapon selection and atrociously boring single-player, TS3 > Halo 2.

(Note: graphical comparisons excluded because I don't really give a crap which game has better graphics since it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever)

shpankey

not an idiot
I hated everything about Timesplitters 2, especially the control (worst aiming system ever). The game was utter shit in most regards IMO.

all these people talking about weapon selection importance in Halo are funny ...

Pistol > *

3 shots = dead

weapon selection is basically Pistol + Plasma or Pistol + Shotgun or Pistol +RL or Pistol + Sniper

AR or Plasma Rifle won't beat pistol, and needler wont beat anything...

shotgun isnt useful except close range...

plasma pistol is basically for the charge shot to kill shields in 1 hit...

RL + Sniper are 1 hit ill weapons, or if the 1 hit doesnt kill, swap to pistol for finish.. comserve ammo...

grenades = way to turn a death into an even trade...

though the pace of halo combined with the fire, grenade and melee buttons makes it almost like a fighting game...

dunno why i'm pointing all this out since i find Halo more fun than TS2 (though only slightly).. and did someone talk smack about Red Faction 2?!?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
aku:jiki said:
Covenant grenades in Halo are sticky?

Anyone who claims to like TS2 over Halo is (consciously or not) trying to be different. Fact.

Ah, sorry. I meant sticky remote-controlled bombs. ;)

And I'm not trying to be different. It seems that I am different though, from the regular mainstream crowd. Oh my. :p

"The shield, the limitation of only two weapons, superior grenade usage, and slower movement are mechanical reasons. However, when you get down to it, Halo is MUCH more situational than just about any other FPS. When you play UT, you spend the match running around jumping while collecting as many weapons as possible and trying to own everything on the field. In Halo, you have to consider that many situations combined with your weapons loadout will yield very different results from all sides. Knowing how to quickly take down a shield and kill them is important and knowing how to do it faster than anyone else will give you plenty of kills. You CAN take damage because of the shield, so when played effectively, you can remain undamaged for quite sometime. In UT, when you hit someone with a couple rockets...you know that the only way for them to recover is to find health kits. In Halo, if you can not finish the job quickly, their shield will recover itself and your attack will have been for naught."

Halo's not even the first to mix a shield and limited weapon loadout to begin with. Also, you're severely overcomplicating it in a way that it "seems" like depth. None of those factors change gameplay from the standpoint you're looking at it. (pseudo-related tangent: I could just engage an enemy in KOTOR and let it hack away, but that doesn't mean that the game is simplistic).

"There really are no one hit kills, special combos, and level based tactical situations to worry about in UT."

Tell that to anyone who has ever ate a flak shell, 2 rockets head on, head shot, shock combo, or a fully charged bio-rifle blob.

"Virtually everything has a counter attack that you must keep in mind.""

"counter-attack?" Please elaborate, because it sounds like buzzword-PR BS.

"The fact is, you can not simply move around a level in the same fashion as UT. At any moment death could come and you should always equip specific weapons depending on what type of area you might be in."

Uh...death can't come at any moment in a UT deathmatch? Now you're just being ridiculous. An instant kill can happen at any time, and I can't count the number of times I've seen someone/myself been frustrated because of kill-after-kill with absolutely no warning or hint.

"Perhaps later on, when I have time, I can explain with more detail just how important those things really are. I also used to feel that Halo had a very shallow multiplayer mode, but upon really learning it with others I discovered just how much MORE there is to it. You don't just run around, aim, and shoot...and if you do, you WILL die."

I'd really like to hear this.

"That's why my comment was NOT an insult. If someone believes that Halo has LESS depth than Doom, that is solid proof that they have not really put in the time with Halo (much less understand how the game can really play)."

His comment was (hopefully) hyperbole.

"LOL.. what a flawed over-generalization. The strategies in Halo are top notch. Everything from situational gun effectiveness to grenade usage."

How is "situational gun effectiveness" different from ANY other FPS? Hell, I'd say UT has better "situational gun effectiveness" than Halo for the simple fact that the primary/secondary fires of many weapons make them useful in more than one situation, but not all. Also, in tight halls, many weapons can have a negative effect (flak/bio-rifle), where Halo only has the grenade and the rocket launcher that are similar to this.

akascream

Banned
How is "situational gun effectiveness" different from ANY other FPS?

Most fps have shitty weaponry. There may be a couple different firing modes in UT2k4 weapons, but they are not situational.. merely player preference. In Halo, I find myself backtracking for a needler when I run out of nades, or to pull an elite off a ghost without taking damage (while saving the ghost), or making sure I have a pistol to fight hunters. I try to have a plasma weapon and a marine weapon whevever possible to quickly take down shields then flesh. Plasma is great at slowing enemies down, even how fast they turn (great for multiplayer against vehicles)! Hell, even the grenades have strategy. Sticky nades when you are confident in your aim or when you want to try and get one on a grunt to run one back to a crowd. Or frag grenades you can bounce into a spot, that are more difficult for enemies to detect.

When do you do that shit in UT2k4? Hehe, don't tell me when you fire up Halo, you merely "aim at another person, you shoot, and try not to get hit."

"Most fps have shitty weaponry."

Subjective.

"There may be a couple different firing modes in UT2k4 weapons, but they are not situational.. merely player preference."

"Sticky nades when you are confident in your aim or when you want to try and get one on a grunt to run one back to a crowd. Or frag grenades you can bounce into a spot, that are more difficult for enemies to detect."

Yeah, go on through a hallway blasting your flak cannon and see how that'll effect you. You can use the link gun secondary if you feel confident in your aim, the primary if you just want to cover as much ground as possible. You can coil or spread your rockets in UT the same way. Sound familiar? If you want to say it like that, the weapons in Halo aren't situational either. Don't make double standards to try to solidify your point.

Also, this entire thing between me and dark10x is about DEATHMATCH. Not singleplayer. It'd be a fairly lopsided debate to compare the two since UT's single player mode is nothing but botmatches.

I don't think people realize that in UT (2K4 at least), there are more weapons abilities than simply "fire" and "alt fire". The shock combo, the tight missile launcher spiral as opposed to the spread, etc. The game can be run and gun if that's all you want to think of it as, but there's a lot of things to consider at any given time. It's not completely simplistic.

I was surprised how many people I've played with didn't know about these thing till I told them.

dark10x

You know what? F*ck this argument...

I've just had a f*cking horrible day and I don't feel like bitching about something as worthless as "games" right now. F*ck it.

Halo is a piece of shit game, blah blah. Who cares?

COCKLES

being watched
arter_2 said:
why is the ps2 screans soo blurry compared to the others

You just answered your own question.

But seriously... can't see much here to sway an Xbox owner from HL2 / Doom 3 / Halo 2 et al.

akascream

Banned
Oh heh, I didn't see you were talking about deathmatch. I wouldn't say Halo's weaponry is above other quality fps (like UT2k4) in that case. But Timesplitters has really awful weapons for deathmatch IMO. A couple are fun, like dual sub-machineguns, or the big ass gatling gun.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Bluemercury said:
that's hardly surprising with a Halo avatar.....

Do you have to mention his avatar EVERY time he posts?

Jesus Fuck, buy a freaking Xbox already. You obsession must be fulfilled.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Society said:
Do you have to mention his avatar EVERY time he posts?

Jesus Fuck, buy a freaking Xbox already. You obsession must be fulfilled.

HA, typical Canadian response.

Top Bottom