• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Tuning up the gameplay" in Wind Waker HD: What could be done, other than dungeons?

VariantX

I'm not even sure what they could do besides fixing the tedious-as-all-hell triforce hunt quest. Everything surrounding that quest, with the rupee farming, and the sailing was just a black mark on what I felt was an awesome and timeless game. Outside of that one quest, the game just felt perfect to me, had the right length, fun combat, beautiful visuals. If anything, just add some extra mini-dungeons and islands to explore really and I'd be satisfied.

BowieZ

Banned
I fully expect a Master Quest, although I guess they haven't announced it in case they can't develop it in time.

"Tuning up the gameplay" in Wind Waker HD: What could be done, other than dungeons? #1

What could be done, other than dungeons...? A new Zelda game. Nintendo is the fucking master of rehashing.

Neiteio

"Tuning up the gameplay" in Wind Waker HD: What could be done, other than dungeons? #1

What could be done, other than dungeons...? A new Zelda game. Nintendo is the fucking master of rehashing.
They announced they have a new Zelda in development. Nintendo even said TWW HD is meant to tide us over in the meantime since development on the new Zelda is slow.

Neiteio

I do like the suggestion (made here or elsewhere) that the waves become rougher and wilder during a storm, for a truly adventurous feel as you survive the Great Sea. :O

Meesh

Something nonsensical but still cool was being able to play through the game a second time in Links pajamas. Maybe they could add a little touch by adding more alternate costumes, or perhaps play through the second time as either Links sister or Tetra?

Neiteio

Here's my crazy fanboy wishlist I know we won't receive:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Reborn (feat. Four Swords Adventures HD)

Now features two HD visual styles (Classic and Enhanced); two soundtrack styles (Classic and Enhanced); two play styles (GamePad and Wii Remote Plus/Nunchuk). GamePad features touch-enabled sub-screens, map markup, gyro-controlled items (optional), Tingle Tuner integration, off-TV play, and Miiverse support. Remote/nunchuk combo features 1:1 motion control. The visual styles, soundtrack styles, and play styles can be mixed freely, changed at any time. A "legendary" difficulty option is available from the start for greater challenge.

There are two new dungeons -- one near the end of the first half, one near the end of the second half -- with new items like the Fire Rod, and new enemies, obstacles, puzzles, and bosses, as well as new events preceding and following, featuring new areas and new characters, including a new race of people and a new character destined to be the third sage. Original seven dungeons reworked a bit for higher quality; ditto for every island across the Great Sea, for increased variety. At least one new island added to each square on the map, a 100 percent increase in land mass.

New NPCs, new minigames, new shops, new treasures, and new features like establishing home bases on various islands, furnishing them with decor, and changing your outfit there. A mirrored, remixed Master Quest unlocks at the end, along with Dungeon Select and Boss Select. Gossip Stones provide abundant lore, and Sheikah Stones provide guidance. Tweaks to the systems include more warp points, faster sailing, and dedicated buttons for the Sail and Wind Waker in the boat.

Four Swords Adventures is also included in HD, with an English localization of Tetra's Trackers, and both local and online play, supporting voice chat and closed communities. FSA is compatible with the GamePad, DS, DSi and 3DS.

[/dreamy sigh]

I think if they make the sailing in Wind Waker to be more like Phantom Hourglass, in that you use the touchscreen on the gamepad to chart your course rather than constantly spamming change wind direction, it will make the navigation of the overworld more enjoyable.

the fire and ice arrow caves need to full fledged dungeons and the game needs to be more stingy with the health and magic replenishments.

more dungeons and the game was too easy are my biggest complaints. maybe put some dungeons down in Hyrule too because the water world aspect was really quite boring also.

leroidys

I expect them to not change the course of the main game at all. The only thing I think they might touch is the triforce hunt.

I do expect for some sort of extra, optional content though. Mini dungeon(s) or a new island with minigames or something. God knows there's enough empty space to accommodate.

Maybe one new item.

Triton55

We've pretty much already seen one way it will be different:
wii-u-hands-on-impressions-battle-mii-and-zelda-hd.jpg

I expect this to be the main difference, alongside obvious stuff like streamlining the triforce quest, a boss rush mode, hint system, marking stuff on the map etc.

fallagin

Hold Wind Waker wand button + push a direction on the stick = new wind direction. Short musical theme follows.

This would be very superior to the current ww system. It so goddamn tedious as is.

Edit: they could make it so that swiping the screen changes the direction. That would make it more convenient and more interactive.

eXistor

As long as they don't touch the sailing mechanics. Sailing was perfect, I don't want Zelda to have auto-controls as well. If you take things like these out or streamline them you lose too much interaction with the game world, a problem a lot of modern games like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry 3 have.

At least one WiiU specific dungeon would be nice though

Inventory management is obvious, put that shit on the gamepad, this is one area where streamlining adds to the gameplay.

Extra difficulty option. I don't really mind it if games like these are on the easy side combat-wise, but WW was too easy, like no challenge at all. Make enemies do double/triple damage, stuff like that.

- Cut dungeons brought back
- Orchestrated remixes of the most major themes
- Enemy's AI is harder in general
- Ocean is either made slightly more compact or sailing is faster
- You can use bombs and attack while sailing
- Dungeons are given a Master Quest-styled remix when you go through the second quest

Realistically I only expect the 3rd and 5th points, but ideally while it's still my favorite Zelda game WW HD gets a significant rehaul.

Optional OVERWORLD BOSSES! I would imagine some kind of huge, legendary and rare Sea Monsters. They appear at random or due to certain circumstances. Before you can fight them, you have to localize and hunt them down by boat first, which should not be easy. Especially hard should be the fight itself: not so obvious patterns, clever use of items. If you fail, the next opportunity does not occur so soon.

Killing these bosses should not be awarded with things that change the gameplay. And please no rupees! I would like to see changes in the appearance of Link and the boat. You can choose to put on enameled and ciseled elements or graphic effects on your clothing, sword, items and boat, which somehow represent the boss.
Of course these elements can be put on and removed anytime. Maybe they let you do some minor changes in shape, colour or intensity of the effects for more individuality. You know, something that very successful hunters would like to show in Miiverse.

Besides, your victories should be something that the NPCs on the home island react to. Further, it would be fun if every victory would trigger a special and spectacular celebration in your hometown. Like a big firework or something. If you are online, you could invite a couple of friends from your friendlist to your hometown to enjoy the celebration with you. Friends are offered to buy (rupees) and bring along unique fireworks to the party. These celebrations can only be made once per playthrough (the game lets you choose when they start), for they should be something special.
Guests from your friendlist are provided a special and unique gift when they leave. This could be a little trophy or badge, which they also may put on their clothing, items or their boat.

Yes, that would be nice!

doesn't really need more. WW was almost perfect. I played it a lot of times - maybe move the figurine making hub into somewhere easier to get to/more film in the camera so the process of collecting the figurines will be easier.

extra dungeons x02 would be great.

Neiteio

Optional OVERWORLD BOSSES! I would imagine some kind of huge, legendary and rare Sea Monsters. They appear at random or due to certain circumstances. Before you can fight them, you have to localize and hunt them down by boat first, which should not be easy. Especially hard should be the fight itself: not so obvious patterns, clever use of items. If you fail, the next opportunity does not occur so soon.

Killing these bosses should not be awarded with things that change the gameplay. And please no rupees! I would like to see changes in the appearance of Link and the boat. You can choose to put on enameled and ciseled elements or graphic effects on your clothing, sword, items and boat, which somehow represent the boss.
Of course these elements can be put on and removed anytime. Maybe they let you do some minor changes in shape, colour or intensity of the effects for more individuality. You know, something that very successful hunters would like to show in Miiverse.

Besides, your victories should be something that the NPCs on the home island react to. Further, it would be fun if every victory would trigger a special and spectacular celebration in your hometown. Like a big firework or something. If you are online, you could invite a couple of friends from your friendlist to your hometown to enjoy the celebration with you. Friends are offered to buy (rupees) and bring along unique fireworks to the party. These celebrations can only be made once per playthrough (the game lets you choose when they start), for they should be something special.

Guests from your friendlist are provided a special and unique gift when they leave. This could be a little trophy or badge, which they also may put on their clothing, items or their boat.

Yes, that would be nice!
I'd be all for epic sea monster showdowns. The giant squids were great, but something new like a sea serpent that actually pursues you across the seas would be epic.

Also, to go along with this, we need rougher waves when the storms roll in and it starts to rain. Some truly dramatic swells to make the ocean seem even more dangerous!

Darryl

Banned
you guys are really getting your hopes up in here. besides adding touch screen and gyro functions, i expect them to do absolutely nothing.

Meesh

you guys are really getting your hopes up in here. besides adding touch screen and gyro functions, i expect them to do absolutely nothing.
You can't extinguish the burning hopes and dreams of mad Zelda fans.
Im one too.

Jarmel

Banned
Let's be real, they're probably going to move the menu and UI stuff to the controller screen and call it a day.

Revven

Let us dream, man. What's the harm in discussing possibilities from small to big tweaks? HUH? WHAT'S THA MATTA WID DAT?

Replaying the game, two small things I can think of:

1) Changing the way you fire bombs while sailing. It's so slow to rotate the cannon, and without a modern trajectory marker (like in Skyward Sword), it's impossible to tell how far to aim. At first it's kind of neat, because it's like you're a real captain trying to estimate your ballistics... then 10 seconds later you give up and just sail right up to the other ship so its AI freaks out.

2) Loading on the ocean. I know what you're thinking: that there wasn't any. Not any loading screens, but it was still obvious when you reached the edge of one map square. The GameCube or Wii suddenly got loud, the black 2D silhouette of the island suddenly became solid geometry, and any towers, submarines, or cyclones popped into existence in front of your face. The Wii U version could possibly increase the distance at which the LOD kicks in so it's not so obvious.

I appreciate why people dislike the tedium of sailing, but appreciated the realism there.
For me, I'd want a bigger ocean with more events and things, not less.
One thing though, I'll take like a nap function for link, when he sets a course as a form of fast travel.
Cause then, there could be awesome little predicaments he could get into.
I'd say, more towns, more side quests, more variety, less linearity.
Same request for every zelda.

Mazzo

That message that appears each time you get a resource material/ ruppee for the first time on a game session should appear only on the first time ever you get said item. It drives me mad.

Brera

Banned
Nintnedo, if you are reading this thread then PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MOST OF THESE REQUESTS!

1. Get rid of Tingle. We don't want no stinking peados in our game and he's a shit character! Fuxking awful!

2. Get rid of the wind direction shit and install a motor on the boat.

3. More islands. Big ones with towns!

4. Expand the hyrule section! This is the best part of the game. Give us a hyrule dungeon!

5. Stick in 2 more dungeons, the ones that were cut! DO IT!

6. More ganon please! Maybe a prequel flashback!

7. Bring back the celshading!

8. Did I mention no tingle?

9. Orchestral music remix! Music must equal the hd graphics!

10. Ditch the tri force hunt or make it more interesting!

Oh yeah, and: let me carry more than three of the decoration items in my delivery bag at once. I have nine slots. Make decorating Windfall Island a little less tedious.

And another thing I thought of while typing this: map overlays. Let me overlay things onto the main chart without having to pull up the other charts, i.e., Triforce, fairies, Beedle, submarines, platforms, etc. The Great Deku Tree manages to mark the location of the Koroks on your map with little leaf symbols just fine without making yet another chart you have to go through multiple menus to open.

Marlowe89

2) Loading on the ocean. I know what you're thinking: that there wasn't any. Not any loading screens, but it was still obvious when you reached the edge of one map square. The GameCube or Wii suddenly got loud, the black 2D silhouette of the island suddenly became solid geometry, and any towers, submarines, or cyclones popped into existence in front of your face. The Wii U version could possibly increase the distance at which the LOD kicks in so it's not so obvious.

That's a good one. The loading distance in the original version was decent enough, but it could definitely be improved.

jmc1987

Neo Member
I would like to see them maybe add some all-new islands and enemies. Maybe they could make you learn hidden skills like in TP, and put the location to learn them in different charts. Ultimately, I would like to see them incorporate maybe one new dungeon, and exchange it with the Triforce quest(I haven't beaten WW since my 2nd playthrough about 9 years ago).

086b6afafc7158c8bf87d0fdc34ce775b914fbd0.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

So what do you people think Nintendo are going to do with the Tingle Tuner? With the inclusion of the Game Pad, I think it's obvious that it's going to be included in some way, and hopefully expanded upon or made better. They could honestly probably make a really fun co-op mode with this if they expand upon it, maybe making it so the person using the Game Pad can control Tingle within the game itself, while the person playing with the Pro Controller (I'm assuming that we'll be able to play with it, at least) controls Link. Or maybe they'll even include it in one-player mode if you play with the Game Pad and make it so you have the Tuner at all times, who knows.

Neiteio

I'm not expecting them to add two extra dungeons, but in an ideal scenario where Nintendo did, I'd love to see these guys in the lead up to the dungeon for the third pearl:

HNI_0039_zps5caf7d38.jpg

And maybe even these guys, assuming they didn't become the Koroks:

HNI_0038_zpsbfeed28f.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Carlov in the Hyrule Historia thread.

Both races are scrapped concepts for The Wind Waker.

Top Bottom