• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tupac blamed race in Madonna breakup letter

Kayant

Source - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40525347

Dated 15 January 1995, it was penned while Tupac was serving a prison sentence for sexual assault and 18 months before he was shot dead. Both artists were then at the height of their fame.

"For you to be seen with a black man wouldn't in any way jeopardize your career, if anything it would make you seem that much more open and exciting," Tupac, then 23, wrote from New York's Clinton Correctional Facility.
"But for me at least in my previous perception I felt due to my 'image' that I would be letting down half of the people who made me what I thought I was.
"Like you said, I haven't been the kind of friend I know I am capable of being," he wrote, adding: "I never meant to hurt you."
More at link. Lock if old.

Kayant

I feel the title is a bit reductive.

What are your thoughts OP?
I don't have much atm. The story caught eye from looking at my Google chrome feed. Don't follow tupac too much(personal life) so I lot of this is new to me.

Just found it interesting and thought I would share.

It was a lot more nuanced than race.

Also, the media continues it's tearing down of black leaders. Sad!

Tupac had limitless potential. Shame he couldn't even make it to 30.

Kinyou

He was in prison for sexual assault and he broke up with her?

Kind of expect this to go the other way around

Young man reflects deeply upon his self and relationships with others. This is an honest and thoughtful explanation he gave. Dude was clearly incredibly bright.

wait what, 2pac was a convicted sex offender..? ugh

AFAIK its very shady the manner in which he was convicted (I believe he raps about being set-up at some point).

Dude is clearly intelligent. But that definitely doesn't beget him being a sexual offender. But, like with MJ, my "personality radar" just doesn't go off for those type of things with them. Even MJ... he was fucked up but he never seemed sociopathic or a molester.

Now Bill Cosby, I could see that all day. Still surprising, given the depth of it, but not that surprising.

Same with that fuckwad from Lostprophets

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It was a lot more nuanced than race.

Also, the media continues it's tearing down of black leaders. Sad!

Tupac had limitless potential. Shame he couldn't even make it to 30.

It wasn't limitless. He limited himself by being so self destructive at times.

This was excluded from the recent biopic, right?

Of course. Just like the NWA movie omitted anything regarding Dre's assaults on women

This quote...
"I've been shot five times and He's brought me this far," Mr. Shakur said. "I put my faith in God. Once again, I have no shame. What happens, happens for a reason. I leave this in the hands of God."
I really despise when criminals try to absolve responsibility for their actions and leave it up to "God". No matter, because I guess God gave up on him a year later

Tupac a black leader? Ugh. Hard pass.

I think he is to a lot of people who'd not be able to name anyone but MLK as a black leader. MTV and VH1 has build up enough of a persona of him through decades that I feel confident saying that at least through a majority based western lens, he is most certainly seen as a truthsayer.
Probably also just proves the massive level of ignorance within different cultures.

AFAIK its very shady the manner in which he was convicted (I believe he raps about being set-up at some point).

Dude is clearly intelligent. But that definitely doesn't beget him being a sexual offender. But, like with MJ, my "personality radar" just doesn't go off for those type of things with them. Even MJ... he was fucked up but he never seemed sociopathic or a molester.

You're saying that some people essentially get off the hook more than others. It sounds wrong, but I think inherit bias within all of us makes it true.

There are other famous people, that if they were convincted of sexual violence, would have made listening to their music, make you a co-sponsor of sexual assault and rape. That sort of hair comb anger doesn't exist for guys like Tupac.
And had those people had threads pop up, every second reply would have been some variation of "fuck this piece of shit".

With MJ, it's just... When you think of a pedophile you think of a white van style overweight dude who creeps on kids.
MJ seemed more to be totally fixated and obessed about being a kid, and trying to relive the childhood he never had. His house was full of toys, he was totally lost in his Peter Pan wonderland, and then there are all the stories of him acting mentally like a child.
That just doesn't seem like the profile you'd imagine of a pedophile.

Even so it doesn't mean he couldn't be of course. It's also highly possible that he did creepy shit with the kids who visited him, but that sex was not really what he was after. It's possible the kids were just part of this make-pretend fantasy he tried to conjour up, to get away from the mental of abuse of his father beating the living shit out of him.

Not that, it makes it not creepy and off putting for him to sleep in the same bed as kids when he is an adult man, but I really think MJ was just damaged as opposed to a pedophile.
There are just so many things that seem to suggest his entire adult life was about literally trying to be a kid. From his childlike voice, to his ageless appearance. To stories about him crying in front of his producers when it was time to go to the recording studio because it interrupted his playtime, to his fights with Spielberg over being denied the lead role in Hook.

2pac apparently has more conspiracy theories than Elvis.

Not a conspiracy theory.

He was originally convicted of taking part in a gang rape, but after serving about 9 months of a 4+ sentence, the rape charges were dropped and expunged after evidence surfaced that he was innocent. This evidence, according to the prosection, was misplaced. The only charges that remained were forcible touching of the victim's butt, which still constitutes sexual abuse.

Didn't know about both facts mentioned here. Probably because i didn't care much for Tupac or Madonna but weird to not know this since both are so high profile.

Top Bottom