• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tupac is overrated

sunnz

Songs like Dear mama, ghetto gospel and changes alone make him one of the greatest...

nothing to this day comes close to those songs.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
2Pac created a lot of memorable songs, and that's why many people considered him one of best rappers ever.

Just take a look at the rappers from the 90's

Eazy-E
Dr Dre
Snoop
2Pac

Are these rappers lyrically better or on the same level as biggie? No. But there's no denying that they made great rap songs that are considered classics. Music is an art, and you don't have to be technically the best "artist" to create memorable work.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Infamous is a classic.

Ready to Die is a classic.

Tupac never released a classic.

Deal with it.
ROFL All Eyez On Me isn't a classic? That's crazy talk

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I’m not sure I’ve ever fully listened to a Tupac album, and I grew up with Hip-Hop/Rap from the late 70s.

Out of curiosity there really isn’t a lot of rap from the late 70s unless you kind of were at the epicenter in New York where it was growing in popularity. I grew up on the east coast in DC and other than Sugarhill and Planet Rock there was only rumblings of national popularity that early. I’m 50 and have been collecting music of the genre for a long time.

TFGB

Out of curiosity there really isn’t a lot of rap from the late 70s unless you kind of were at the epicenter in New York where it was growing in popularity. I grew up on the east coast in DC and other than Sugarhill and Planet Rock there was only rumblings of national popularity that early. I’m 50 and have been collecting music of the genre for a long time.
Indeed, but Hip Hop didn't merely revolve around 'rap' back then. I was mostly listening to funk on pirate London stations, but the beginnings of Electro occured in the late 70s. Kraftwerk's "Trans-Europe Express" was produced several years before Bambaataa used it as his inspiration for Planet Rock.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Indeed, but Hip Hop didn't merely revolve around 'rap' back then. I was mostly listening to funk on pirate London stations, but the beginnings of Electro occured in the late 70s. Kraftwerk's "Trans-Europe Express" was produced several years before Bambaataa used it as his inspiration for Planet Rock.

Love Kraftwerk, also Malcom Mclarren did some interesting fusion as well. Although I would say to some people in hip hop would dismiss it out of hand as not in the genre. When I think late 70s hip hop, I’m thinking about the film Wildstyle, Caz, Treacherous 3, Crash Crew, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash etc..

TFGB

Love Kraftwerk, also Malcom Mclarren did some interesting fusion as well. Although I would say to some people in hip hop would dismiss it out of hand as not in the genre. When I think late 70s hip hop, I’m thinking about the film Wildstyle, Caz, Treacherous 3, Crash Crew, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash etc..
Same here, but I think memory is hindering us both as I also imagined Wildstyle being the late 70s...but it was early 80s! 😳 I did have the vinyl soundtrack to the movie about 20 years back, but sold it along with all my breaks collection. :/

I remember the old ‘Double Trouble’ tracks and stuff from the original Cold Crush Bros. Classic!

I did pick these up a while back. Beat Street has never looked so good, and I still get chills when The Roxy battle kicks off lol. 😎

0Et3IVL.jpg

Last edited:
2Pac created a lot of memorable songs, and that's why many people considered him one of best rappers ever.

Just take a look at the rappers from the 90's

Eazy-E
Dr Dre
Snoop
2Pac

Are these rappers lyrically better or on the same level as biggie? No. But there's no denying that they made great rap songs that are considered classics. Music is an art, and you don't have to be technically the best "artist" to create memorable work.

Are you trying to name most of the N.W.A. members while leaving out the guy who wrote the lyrics and was the best rapper of the whole group?

Yeah, where is The D.O.C on that list

I knew that was coming. Late 80’s to early 90’s Cube put out nothing but great albums. N.W.A. tanked the second he left the group. Last I checked D.O.C. and Ren wrote most of the songs on the second album which is mostly garbage.

Cube and Chuck D. are both criminally underrated these days.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The list was to show that they all had one thing in common and that's a unique rap style.

No, they're not equally as talented, but they were still in some good rap songs which are considered classics.

Don't get me wrong, I like his stuff. But then he went on to diss all the hip hop artists who were better than him. Nas, Mobb Deep, Biggie.... the guy was insecure as fuck.

He thought Biggie's song "Who Shot Ya?" was about him (he's paranoid too) so he responded with "Hit 'Em Up". (fucking killer song tbh). But it makes no sense. Why would Biggie, who was friends with, idolised and looked up to Tupac, diss him? Just Tupac being an insecure bitch.

Nothing Tupac released comes close to Illmatic, Ready to Die or The Infamous.

I can respect that he rapped about issues that are still prevalent today but his stuff wasn't as good as many would lead you to believe.
I grew up in LA, I listened to Pac, I felt what he was saying. I witnessed what he was saying with my own eyes. I like Nas but I'm not from the East Coast so I can't relate to half the shit he said. He's not the best rapper, most lyrical, he is the best story teller though and that's why I like him. He paints a picture with his words like nobody else. Em and Kendrick are good story tellers but not like Pac was.

And about being paranoid... well damn, he went to go see Biggie in the studio and got shot, tf kinda bullshit is this? You wouldn't be paranoid if the guy as you say "who was friends, with, idolized and looked up to tupac" set you up and almost get you killed? And before you go on about "he didn't set him up" doesn't matter because thats what Pac believed.

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

Yo can´t talk about 2pac and not talk about politics,

At the time the discrimination against blacks was big so was the racism, you may not like his music but his words changed so social spectrum of the time.
so in that he was among the best

camelCase

Pac does get a lot of credit. Personally I think he's more deserving of it than em, for my money. But in the hierarchy of fame as it were for the 90's rappers, his place is surely undeserved.

TrainedRage

Banned
Have you heard these......?
This song is so damn relevant today; even though it was written 20 years ago.

I mean.... Come on.

Top Bottom