• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV GAF: Winter edition

Kadayi

Banned
Hey folks. What have you been watching?

Late to the party, but I've recently been tucking into HBO's Succession, which can best be described as a fictional black comedy take on Rupert Murdoch's clan and media empire: -

Great performances all round from a strong ensemble and some really sweet dialogue to boot: -

I have some news. Ewan is definitely coming to Thanksgiving.
Ewan? Bullshit.
Why? Why? Well, because he asked and said he'd like to come, and I said yes.
You're a pretty good liar.
It's not good to have rifts in the family.
It's not a rift. He lives in Canada and he's a prick.

Plus the theme music is killer

Recommended, especially for resident douches Roman (Kieron Culkin) and Tom (Macfadyen)

Snoopycat

Banned
Watched the latest Louis Theroux doc about the sex lives of lank haired weirdos. They all looked like they were having the least fun possible.

Makariel

Only got around to watch Daredevil season 3, but am not quite done yet. So far I like it a lot, much more so than season 2 and unless they mess up the last few episodes even more than season 1. Vincent D'Onofrio is MVP and it took me waaaaay to long to recognize Joanne Whalley. Daredevil is also still the marvel series with the best fight scenes, excellent stuff.

Kadayi

Banned
Only got around to watch Daredevil season 3, but am not quite done yet. So far I like it a lot, much more so than season 2 and unless they mess up the last few episodes even more than season 1. Vincent D'Onofrio is MVP and it took me waaaaay to long to recognize Joanne Whalley. Daredevil is also still the marvel series with the best fight scenes, excellent stuff.

Yeah, I enjoyed DD Season 3 a lot. A massive improvement on the disjointed nature of Season 2. Given recent events regarding the other defenders series, I do worry whether it might get axed though.

bigedole

Yeah, I enjoyed DD Season 3 a lot. A massive improvement on the disjointed nature of Season 2. Given recent events regarding the other defenders series, I do worry whether it might get axed though.

I liked it a lot too. I think if it does get axed, it'll only be so Disney can consolidate it onto their own upcoming streaming platform. It's definitely popular and will continue in some shape or form.

Kadayi

Banned
I liked it a lot too. I think if it does get axed, it'll only be so Disney can consolidate it onto their own upcoming streaming platform. It's definitely popular and will continue in some shape or form.

I'm not so convinced. AFAIK the shows themselves are Netflix commissioned so it's not a case that Disney can take the existing seasons and air them, and in fact I get the sense that given the Marvel shows they've greenlit with Loki and Scarlet Witch are going to be under the film studio banner under Kevin Feige directly (IIRC), it might well be the case that Disney will shutter the Marvel TV division. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

bigedole

I'm not so convinced. AFAIK the shows themselves are Netflix commissioned so it's not a case that Disney can take the existing seasons and air them, and in fact I get the sense that given the Marvel shows they've greenlit with Loki and Scarlet Witch are going to be under the film studio banner under Kevin Feige directly (IIRC), it might well be the case that Disney will shutter the Marvel TV division. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Well that would be a shame. I really liked where this season went with DD, don't care too much about the other Netflix Marvel shows though so it's probably for the best to shut it down for them.

Neverwas

I think The Good Place is the only current television I'm watching. I'm also catching up on Dirk Gently season 2, and I'm just getting sadder with every episode, knowing there won't be more of this brilliantly insane show.

Recently finished DareDevil s3, and enjoyed it very much. Up there with s1.
Also finished Haunting of Hill House, and that was a complete waste of time. Just bland in every sense of the word.

Joe T.

I'm really liking Jim Carrey's Kidding, a little letdown by Jennifer Garner's Camping (she's the weakest link) and wasn't quite as impressed with The Deuce's second season as I was the first.

Just started watching Ozark and loving it so far, four episodes in.

I binged through Castlevania S2 last night with two episodes left to go. Honestly...... It's kind of boring and the quality of animation has taken a drop from the first season. Overall I'm just not enjoying it as much as S1.

I like that they expanded the lore by adding some different characters from the videogame series, but I'm just not that huge of a fan of the Carmilla subplot.

TFGB

I’m really late to the Stranger Things party, but I’m hooked. I’ve binged nearly the first two series in the last three days. There’s something magical about it all and even the soundtrack is special.

I can see what all the fuss was about.

I watched Apostle last night on Netflix, it was pretty good.

What stood out the most for me was the outstanding set design, the whole village really sold the atmosphere for the movie.

Kadayi

Banned
Just ploughed through Season 3 of The Last Kingdom on Netflix. I was a bit worried that with Season 2 the show was descending into formula somewhat, but I have to say Season 3 subverted my expectations in a good way, and even pulled off a

iu

Moment early on that pure

iu

Season 4 confirmed by Netflix also. Good times.

Makariel

The woman and myself started watching House of Cards Season 6 and... meh. We stopped watching 5 episodes in, it's just way past it's peak. Never was as good as the BBC version IMO anyway. Now we've started Narcos: Mexico, but none of the characters has quite the same presence as Wagner Moura had playing Pablo Escobar.

Kadayi

Banned
I agree that Narcos Mexico doesn't quite live upto the the previous shows in terms of the characters, however assuming that they make a further season I can see it evolving into something compelling.

TFGB

I went to bed early last night and thought I’d put on episode 2/series 2 of Fargo on Netflix, to fall asleep to. I ended up watching the whole of the series. Can’t remember what time I eventually crashed out but I was hooked!

I didn’t think it was going to be as good as series 1 initially, but it just turned into greatness. I had a sneak peek at episode 1 of series 3 and it’s got me intrigued.

Last edited:

TFGB

Watched all four episodes of the (final) series three of Fortitude earlier.

As excellent as always, though I wish it had at least 10 episodes like the previous two series. Too short for such a unique and knicker gripping sci-fi thriller.

Kadayi

Banned
Been watching the second half of Season 5 of Vikings on Amazon. It's kind of odd coming back to it having just wrapped up season 3 of The Last Kingdom and the inevitable crossover of historical characters. Even more so given that Alexander Dreymon (Ultred in TLK) and Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Heahmund in Vikings) bear an uncanny resemblance to each other, though the production values and styling on each show is thankfully distinct. Albeit they've doling out Vikings on a weekly basis I have to say that the show is suffering somewhat from an overabundance of characters and locations. Hopefully, as the season progresses things will pull together but I do wonder how they're going to wring another full season out of matters, especially given they've already sidestepped history by killing Sigurd last season.

bitbydeath

Been watching the second half of Season 5 of Vikings on Amazon. It's kind of odd coming back to it having just wrapped up season 3 of The Last Kingdom and the inevitable crossover of historical characters. Even more so given that Alexander Dreymon (Ultred in TLK) and Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Heahmund in Vikings) bear an uncanny resemblance to each other, though the production values and styling on each show is thankfully distinct. Albeit they've doling out Vikings on a weekly basis I have to say that the show is suffering somewhat from an overabundance of characters and locations. Hopefully, as the season progresses things will pull together but I do wonder how they're going to wring another full season out of matters, especially given they've already sidestepped history by killing Sigurd last season.

Yeah, still not enjoying the Floki arc.
He’s also too serious now as well.

Kadayi

Banned
Netflix 1983 A Polish Netflix produced alternative history drama set 20 years after a series of Terrorist events take place across Poland in 1983 that radically impacts its history.

Pretty damn good Thriller actually. Albeit it is only 8 episodes, they a pack a lot in there and its a well told story with a lot of complexity to it, but a fascinating premise. Highly recommended, especially if you dig shows like Counterpart or The Bodyguard. Also, have to say the environments are beautiful, Props to whoever dis the location work.

I finally got around to watching season 3 of The Last Kingdom, and I think it may be my favorite yet. Such a fantastic and well-acted series. The dynamics between Alfred and Uhtred are rich, complex, and incredibly satisfying. Man, I can't stand Ælswith. Her hatred of Uhtred and closed mindedness drive me crazy! I also have a love/hate relationship with Æthelwold. He's such a worm and a weasel, but he's crafty and uses his strengths to greatest possible effect. Such an incredible show. (Me having Scandinavian roots doesn't hurt, but I'd love it regardless.)

Kadayi

Banned
I finally got around to watching season 3 of The Last Kingdom, and I think it may be my favourite yet. Such a fantastic and well-acted series. The dynamics between Alfred and Uhtred are rich, complex, and incredibly satisfying. Man, I can't stand Ælswith. Her hatred of Uhtred and closed mindedness drive me crazy! I also have a love/hate relationship with Æthelwold. He's such a worm and a weasel, but he's crafty and uses his strengths to greatest possible effect. Such an incredible show. (Me having Scandinavian roots doesn't hurt, but I'd love it regardless.)

Yeah, I have a lot of time for The Last Kingdom. Given events, I do wonder where they are going to take it in the next season, but I'm all on board. One thing I've consistently liked about the show is that Utred is a pretty flawed character throughout who can often times be his own worst enemy, and also be a complete dick in the process.

One thing I've consistently liked about the show is that Utred is a pretty flawed character throughout who can often times be his own worst enemy, and also be a complete dick in the process.

Yes, he's certainly flawed, and I love that in all protagonists. However, I think it's entirely understandable given his roots. Is he Saxon? Is he Dane? He's a man without a home and without and neat and comfortable identity. Despite, and maybe because of, his turbulent upbringing, he's a man of his word, and I respect that very much. What is there to hold onto other than his oath?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I binged through Castlevania S2 last night with two episodes left to go. Honestly...... It's kind of boring and the quality of animation has taken a drop from the first season. Overall I'm just not enjoying it as much as S1.

I like that they expanded the lore by adding some different characters from the videogame series, but I'm just not that huge of a fan of the Carmilla subplot.

It's pretty dull, yeah. As you say, no problem with additional lore and backstory and characters, but everything's so wooden. Carmilla's a wet blanket every moment she's on-screen, prattling on about all the men being stupid manchildren and plotting obvious schemes.

Most of the budget went into episode 7.

TrainedRage

Banned
Netflix 1983 A Polish Netflix produced alternative history drama set 20 years after a series of Terrorist events take place across Poland in 1983 that radically impacts its history.

Pretty damn good Thriller actually. Albeit it is only 8 episodes, they a pack a lot in there and its a well told story with a lot of complexity to it, but a fascinating premise. Highly recommended, especially if you dig shows like Counterpart or The Bodyguard. Also, have to say the environments are beautiful, Props to whoever dis the location work.

Is The Bodyguard worth watching? It looked decent.

fatty

The woman and myself started watching House of Cards Season 6 and... meh. We stopped watching 5 episodes in, it's just way past it's peak. Never was as good as the BBC version IMO anyway. Now we've started Narcos: Mexico, but none of the characters has quite the same presence as Wagner Moura had playing Pablo Escobar.
I agree that Narcos Mexico doesn't quite live upto the the previous shows in terms of the characters, however assuming that they make a further season I can see it evolving into something compelling.

Even though I also enjoyed the other Narcos more (first two seasons with Escobar being my favorite), I still really enjoyed Narcos:Mexico. And how they are setting it up for El Chapo has me looking forward to another season.

This series and the second season of Ozark have been the two things I watched this winter.

megamerican

Narcos Mexico definitely has a slower start, but it's worth sticking around for as it gets better as the season goes on. Diego Luna is just a straight up boring actor though. He puts me to sleep in everything. Even he comes alive a bit towards the end thankfully.

Highly recommend it even if it's the weakest of the Narcos seasons.

Kadayi

Banned
Is The Bodyguard worth watching? It looked decent.

I'd say the Bodyguard is worth a watch. Personally, I found the ending a little overboard, but at the same time it was still enjoyable and decent performances across the board, so yeah I'd give it a watch. However, if you do have Netflix, you should give 1983 a punt as well, as I'd say it's a superior drama.

Fbh

Russian Doll On Netflix:
It was pretty fun. Not the most original concept but still entertaining though I have to say a big part of my enjoyment came from the main character who really reminds me of someone I know.

Star Trek Discovery S1 and 2:
As someone who has never been into this franchise the complains I've seen that it doesn't feel like Star Trek didn't affect me. I actually disliked the first few chapters but kept watching and at some point it just clicked. The cast and some of the themes are eye rollingly woke but holy shit does this show have some amazing production values, I've seen plenty of decent budget movies in recent years that looked worse than this

Caught up with Westworld S2
From what I remember reactions were pretty mixed but I quite liked it. IMO it was as good if not better than S2.
But I think they should have ended it, what they tease for S3 in the end feels unnecessary and like they are just milking it

Ultraman on Netflix
I don't know why, it's so bad..

Last edited:
Top Bottom