• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Land pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard' amid flag controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

Now maybe we can get some more programs that were actually good on there.

Seriously, I want more Taxi re-runs.

Kaladin

I think the Dukes of Hazzard is a perfect example of a non-racist use of the Confederate Flag. It was simply a symbol of the south in that show, just as much as their car horn which had the tune to Dixie on it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Lee wasn't so much "against slavery" as much as he saw it as a necessary evil that would hopefully end down the road when blacks had learned to be a "proper" race. He was also of the popular belief at the time that slavery was God's Will and that it would end when He willed it.

"The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence."

So, while he didn't seem to have a taste for slavery, I wouldn't necessarily call him "against" it.

He also advised against black enfranchisement because he thought they were too uneducated to vote, though he also supported education for blacks as part of Reconstruction. Like a lot of Northerners at the time, his racism was expressed through paternalism.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dukes of Hazzard is an excellent TV show, and incredibly fun. However, it doesn't matter how I feel about it, it's how others feel, so I'm open to listen to why people feel it should be gone. It appears most people are ambivalent in the context that the Dukes used it, as it was only on the top of their car - and this sounds like it's a bit kneejerk in response. I believe it will be back with a warning at the beginning.

wildfire

Banned
isn't the ENTIRE point of the car ' GENERAL LEE ' is that it was one of the good general in the southern army ?

How can you miss the point like that ?

It's Dukes of Hazard. Very few people crowd surfing would know that unless they watched enough episodes. That said pulling it for the flag controversy wasn't necessary. The show was already made and it's not like people are expecting a network to be implicitly anything advocating a negative social stance based on a show like this.

Replace it with Get Smart. You shoulda never stopped showing Get Smart, TV Land.

Dukes was a bit before my time, but I remember as a kid I had a General Lee hot wheel. For some reason my brother had a Boss Hog action figure too.

Damaniel

Banned
I don't think this was really necessary (and I'm a huge proponent of taking the flag down and shaming it for what it is).

I don't see the practical difference. We don't have to compare him to Hitler. He didn't just decline to fight for the U.S. He actively fought for a side with horrendous ideas. Either way he doesn't deserve a monument in his honor. At best he wasn't a horrible person

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, with the distinction that there may not be a practical difference, since at the end of the day he did lead confederate troops against the union, but that it wasn't quite so black and white as it's painted to be, and that as far as confederate generals go, he's probably the only one that was and is respected by north and south alike. I admit I'm biased because I grew up in Virginia, but northern VA is one of the few places where you get a southern-bent to the history books combined with a bunch of really liberal teachers.

Krakn3Dfx

Wonder if Ubisoft will enact a mass recall of the popular videogame based on the TV series.
225px-Dukecover.PNG

Gonzalez

Banned
You shoulda never stopped showing Get Smart, TV Land.
This

They aired it for a year after the marathon, but then they pulled it. Then Time Life wanted me to spend an arm, and a leg just to buy the entire series on DVD. Absolute bullshit the way they've handled that series in syndication.

When my wife and I got married, she had friends from Wisconsin come into town and they stayed with us. The youngest daughter was some sort of freak for Full House, and she would go batshit if it was on and she couldn't watch it. The worse part was that she wouldn't call it Full House, she called it "Baby Owen".

She also hung on our fridge door, and since she was a chunky little monster, she bent the hinges/frame in a way that it wouldn't close properly anymore, and we ended up having to buy a new fridge.

Pretty much for that reason alone, I hate Full House, and we've never had those people back into our home.

Hahaha, what's "Baby Owen" mean? I'm a bit rusty on my "Full House" knowledge.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
This is similar to when TV Land pulled the Cosby Show due to his rape allegations. I have no problem with this.

Lunar15

I guess my question is, have people been calling to have Dukes of Hazard pulled due to its use of the confederate flag like people have been calling for state governments to stop flying the confederate flag long before the fallout with South Carolina?

But I dunno, I'm of many minds on this. I'm completely open to the fact that this truly does offend people, and it should be removed. But I also know that at some point we can't just remove everything that offends. Then again, like someone above me noted, this is no different than when they pulled the Cosby Show.

Kaladin

This is similar to when TV Land pulled the Cosby Show due to his rape allegations. I have no problem with this.

Except Bill Cosby allegedly raped women....Dukes of Hazzard....sure they had the flag on their car, but there is no racism or hate associated with the TV show's actual content.

I guess my question is, have people been calling to have Dukes of Hazard pulled due to its use of the confederate flag like people have been calling for state governments to stop flying the confederate flag long before the fallout with South Carolina?

Well according to the article, TV Land had just started airing it in a deal with CMT and the show goes back to CMT in 5 weeks.

This is likely a case of "Oops, what do we do now?"

FStop7

Banned
They were making their way the only way they know how.

But I guess that's just a little bit more than the law will allow. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Except Bill Cosby allegedly raped women....Dukes of Hazzard....sure they had the flag on their car, but there is no racism or hate associated with the TV show's actual content.

Dukes of Hazard was basically a cartoon. All I remember from it as a kid is enjoying the car chases a lot.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well according to the article, TV Land had just started airing it in a deal with CMT and the show goes back to CMT in 5 weeks.

This is likely a case of "Oops, what do we do now?"

I reckon CMT won't pull the show.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Pull the flag down, shit on it, burn it. I care not. But leave the Duke boys and their car alone you fucks.

.. On second thought I don't care. I'll probably never watch the show again. I mean I haven't watched it since I was a kid anyway.

styl3s

Dukes of Hazzard is an excellent TV show, and incredibly fun. However, it doesn't matter how I feel about it, it's how others feel, so I'm open to listen to why people feel it should be gone. It appears most people are ambivalent in the context that the Dukes used it, as it was only on the top of their car - and this sounds like it's a bit kneejerk in response. I believe it will be back with a warning at the beginning.
Are we really in such a overly PC world the Dukes of fucking Hazzard needs a confederate flag warning before an episode airs? In 50 years everything we drive in, wear and live in with be a neutral color with no logos and we may only speak words approved by the russled jimmies committee.

Don't get me wrong i am all for remove the flag from the pole. Burn it, shoot it, shit on it whatever but shits starting to get insanely stupid.

Are we really in such a overly PC world the Dukes of fucking Hazzard needs a confederate flag warning before an episode airs? In 50 years everything we drive in, wear and live in with be a neutral color with no logos and we may only speak words approved by the russled jimmies committee.

Don't get me wrong i am all for remove the flag from the pole but this shit is just getting stupid.

A warning got your jimmies rustled? I'll never understand that.

Daria

none of you even watched this show in the last 5 years probably, why do you care so much all of a sudden? it's nothing but reruns, there is no current development they're shutting down.

people getting upset at a company for doing something they think is right whether you support it or not is downright laughable. it's a fictional TV show, the flag is not.

stufte

There should be a how-to manual for these types of moves:

"How to feel like you're doing something meaningful without actually doing anything meaningful at all."

styl3s

A warning got your jimmies rustled? I'll never understand that.
I am saying a warning about a show with a confederate flag is absolutely fucking absurd and only a committee of rustled jimmies would implement it.

holy moly
Im shocked more people aren't shocked that a confederate flag warning before a tv show isn't absurd or the fact the show was removed because of it isn't.

I feel like i am slowly going insane i can't be the only person in this thread who finds this utterly dumb and unnecessary. Let me make it clear about the flag i hold nothing towards do whatever you want im not taking up for the flag but to censor everything because of it is a tad dumb

Don't get me wrong i am all for remove the flag from the pole. Burn it, shoot it, shit on it whatever but shits starting to get insanely stupid.

holy moly

We're getting closer and closer to where everything is going to be like that South Park Christmas Play. "Happy, happy, happy, everybody's happy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom