• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
If the ratings of The Return are in any way correlating with the downloads I've been getting on my Twin Peaks podcast, I think they are gonna be in good shape.

Each week when I release an episode we easily beat our previous record for single day downloads. So perhaps the show is seeing a similar climb each week as word of mouth spreads about it?
Showtime said the viewers have been increasing every week since episode 5 (which makes sense as episodes 1-4 were all dropped at once).

Cth

We've got Duchovony, I wish Lynch had gotten Anna (Fringe) Torv for Tammy. I'm still working my way through the episodes, but Bell kind of reminded me of her in a way.

But yeah, I want an X-Files/Twin Peaks/Fringe mashup.

Whenever I see posts where people think Cooper genuinely won't come back this series, I think about dogs that assume their owner has abandoned them each time they go to work. The story is clearly setting up his return. It's in the title of the show. It's the story they're telling, and are clearly building toward it (slowly, but surely). The thought that people seriously think he's just gonna be this way, without resolution just baffles me.

This isn't in regards to one particular user or anything (no shade intended Ashby), I just see that kind of post all the time and am kind of surprised.

Cheebo

Banned
We've got Duchovony, I wish Lynch had gotten Anna (Fringe) Torv for Tammy. I'm still working my way through the episodes, but Bell kind of reminded me of her in a way.

But yeah, I want an X-Files/Twin Peaks/Fringe mashup.

Anna Torv really doesnt seem like Lynch style actress to me. Nor fits the fresh green sort of character Tammy is meant to be.

Also Duchovony's role in Twin Peaks predates X-Files. ;)

Flipyap

The story is clearly setting up his return. It's in the title of the show. It's the story they're telling, and are clearly building toward it (slowly, but surely).
...Twin Peaks?

Because that's the only title chosen by the dudes who wrote this story. While I'm sure this isn't going to be Everybody Loves Dougie, I don't know if I would bet that the Cooper we're going to get will be the same old eccentric Boy Scout people think of when they talk about Cooper coming back.

While I'm sure this isn't going to be Everybody Loves Dougie, I don't know if I would bet that the Cooper we're going to get will be the same old eccentric Boy Scout people think of when they talk about Cooper coming back.

Yeah I don't think it's just an immediate switch that's going to flip, and he'll obviously be pretty different after what he's experienced, but I think there'll be enough of that character there to make everyone happy.

Ashby

I mean, even if we got Coop back the second he came out of the Black Lodge he still would be a radically different person from the last time we had seen him after spending a quarter of a century in there.

A-V-B

Whenever I see posts where people think Cooper genuinely won't come back this series, I think about dogs that assume their owner has abandoned them each time they go to work. The story is clearly setting up his return. It's in the title of the show. It's the story they're telling, and are clearly building toward it (slowly, but surely). The thought that people seriously think he's just gonna be this way, without resolution just baffles me.

My sympathies for David Lynch's dog.

Kadayi

Banned
I mean, even if we got Coop back the second he came out of the Black Lodge he still would be a radically different person from the last time we had seen him after spending a quarter of a century in there.

^So much this.

25 years stuck in a perpetual purgatory and then suddenly you're pulled out and thrust into a reality you barely remember, you're going to be all sorts of messed up for quite some time.

Sure I get it, that it's frustrating for some, but I think once Cooper is reunited with Gordon.
Which is going to happen pretty soon once those finger prints of his are run, then a dare say he'll be on the road to recovery, though I suspect the realisation as to what befell you is probably going to be hard to take.

Linkin112

I was honestly expecting before the show started for Cooper to just be trapped in the Black Lodge for like half the season, so I was surprised when he came out in Part 3. I'd gladly take the Dougie stuff over what I thought.

My original prediction for the Cooper return was Part 9, but I'm saying Part 12 now. Part 10 is too soon for all the Cooper threads from last episode to come together imo, Part 11 is being shown Friday at Comic Con and there's no way they'd show the actual "Return" episode early, so Part 12 seems good. A Cooper meeting with the FBI at the very least.

Did he always work like that? Because I feel like it's been biting him in the ass like never before (or at least his awful new editing tricks have made it apparent to everyone that he failed to get that perfect take).

If so news to me. I recall reading about how many takes he had Richard Beymer do for the baguette eating scene to the point Beymer pulled the "what do you want from me?" card out of frustration. Guess that's not the norm though.

Now that I think on it I remember Nevins saying how efficient Lynch was in staying on shooting schedule while principal was going on, well no wonder if it was an average of 1-2 takes per scene lol. I dunno as you mention what with things like editing tricks occurring multiple times it's hard for me to believe there wasn't an element of "go go go" going on at times during the production, especially with some of the location shoots. However, if it's all intentional and that's just his style so be it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I remember there was an early screening of the first few episodes, and one of the impressions that made it onto Twitter was something like "Twin Peaks fans are going to be SO mad". It made me genuinely expect Cooper to get killed off in the second episode, so the fact that he's around - even as Dougie - is a step up from my original expectations.

I may be thinking of the same one you saw, someone claimed it was a friend that went to the premiere that shared their impressions, said it didn't spend hardly any time on the original cast except Cooper and very little time in the town, and that it was "unwatchable" lol. Took it with a grain of salt ofc, the little time spent on original characters could've been guessed based on Kyle saying it wasn't a nostalgia trip, and the general focus on him getting back to the town.

Oh wait, I think I know the one you meant, was a journo (can't remember specific site) that broke the press embargo, and actually revealed a bit too much as far as who showed up in the first two parts, iirc they edited it down after backlash on twitter but kept the general impressions up. They did say they enjoyed it overall from what I recall.

I may be thinking of the same one you saw, someone claimed it was a friend that went to the premiere that shared their impressions, said it didn't spend hardly any time on the original cast except Cooper and very little time in the town, and that it was "unwatchable" lol. Took it with a grain of salt ofc, the little time spent on original characters could've been guessed based on Kyle saying it wasn't a nostalgia trip, and the general focus on him getting back to the town.

Oh wait, I think I know the one you meant, was a journo (can't remember specific site) that broke the press embargo, and actually revealed a bit too much as far as who showed up in the first two parts, iirc they edited it down after backlash on twitter but kept the general impressions up. They did say they enjoyed it overall from what I recall.
I found the one I was thinking of

r9Jv93J.jpg

Yeah that's the same guy I was thinking of.

Here's the article in question

I remember these cryptic teases hyped us up quite a bit:

• The best new face... does not have a face.
• One actor plays two characters, and wears a hilarious wig for one of them.
• There is a shocking moment that is among the scariest things I've ever seen on TV.
• The new opening credits may have some viewers reaching for the Dramamine.
• Episode 2 uses a song by the Chromatics that may haunt your playlists for weeks.
• The first two episodes alternate between cryptic, terrifying, and hilarious. There was as much laughter as there were gasps.
• Though advertised as a ”new season" of Twin Peaks, these episodes felt more like a revival of ALL of David Lynch's work. Parts of it felt very Blue Velvet and Lost Highway, with some imagery from Eraserhead mixed in.

Kanhir

I don't know why it's so hard to accept Lynch wants Tamara Preston to be the way she is. I don't like it, but this idea that somehow Lynch didn't get what he wanted is absurd and totally patronizing to him. He made a choice he is happy with that some of us don't like. Oh well.

I'll point out that Tamara Preston was already well established in the Secret History book, and her personality in that doesn't gel with what we're seeing on screen. Maybe she was replaced by her Vapid Lodge doppelganger in the meantime.

Sapiens

Bad cooper >>>>>> any other version of cooper.

We should all be sending gracious thank you letters to Lynch and the rest of the rancho rosa staff.

Bad cooper >>>>>> any other version of cooper.

We should all be sending gracious thank you letters to Lynch and the rest of the rancho rosa staff.

Dougie >>>>>>>>>>>> Bad Cooper

Dougie is pretty much the new version of the old Cooper in 1989-1991. I'm still hoping for old Coop to come back though.
I like bad Coop but Dougie is just something else. "Let's rock" is the episode where old Coop returns....I'm pretty sure......

PizzaFace

Banned
Dougie >>>>>>>>>>>> Bad Cooper

Dougie is pretty much the new version of the old Cooper in 1989-1991. I'm still hoping for old Coop to come back though.
I like bad Coop but Dougie is just something else. "Let's rock" is the episode where old Coop returns....I'm pretty sure......

????????

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Lynch doesn't know how to write Cooper anymore. That's why I'm certain he's never coming back.
I'm sure Frost and Lynch could write Cooper with ease if you held them up at gunpoint, but I doubt it would have the spark it did 25 years ago. They're probably just not interested in writing about that character again. 25 years is a lot of artistic development.
Cooper deconstructed. A man who enjoys the little things, wants the best for everyone and is guided by mysterious supernatural forces to solve crimes.

I'm hungover, so taking this opportunity to re-watch the series so far.

I completely forgot about Lucy's first scene, where an insurance man appears asking for Truman. Initially I assumed it was just a way to explain Harry's absence and Frank's existence, but now I'm wondering if the man works for Lucky 7?

Moff

I feel like Lynch doesn't know how to write Cooper anymore. That's why I'm certain he's never coming back.

I think it's more important to ask if he even can be the same cooper? after 25 years basically in prison and then rebooted in dougie. I think he will be quite different and fans will be disappointed. Doppelgänger Cooper is fantastic, though, great character and McLachlan is doing a fantastic job.

The Hawk/Glastonberry Grove scene in episode one is definitely at a different time. There's no reason for him to be there yet "something is supposed to be happening here tonight".

I think we'll get the same scene again when the Sheriff Dept follows the Briggs clue. I wonder where Bobby and Frank are though?

robochimp

He's coming back. Coop is going through a birth and development process, judging by his pencil grip he's currently about 4 years old and growing up fast.

How could anyone watch the more traditional Twin Peaks scenes this season, particularly those with returning characters, and think Frost/Lynch no longer know how to write for Cooper? Albert alone was on fire last episode with one liners that could've been from directly from the first 2 seasons, not to mention the Briggs family stuff, bobby opening the capsule, Frank Truman fitting into the show like a glove, Lucy's lunch break gag, etc. These guys know what Twin Peaks was, and could absolutely do the nostalgia run if they wanted to. Instead, they've chosen to reignite the flame of mystery in a post-"we know who Laura Palmer's killer is" world with Mr. C, while simultaneously seating the audience alongside Cooper through his journey back, step by step, piece by piece.

And if we do get Coop's awakening with episodes to spare, I expect him to be a character now carrying the scars of whatever he's gone through.

dabig2

Bad Cooper is probably the best new character of the show
I really didn't expect him to be that good

I'm interested in the behavior change from DoppleCoop between the S2 finale and this season. I'm kinda hoping that we'll eventually see Mr C lose the kingpin, greasy badass facade and go back to maniacally laughing it up like Bob at least once this season, preferably during some pivotal moment.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Lillard was great. He fits perfectly in this Lynchian universe.

Nah, let's keep our crazy contained.

New episode will heal everyone, just give it a few days. That discussion you like is going to come back in style.

Just for people to talk about Bell's performance again after two days of nice and gentle discussion.

The Return

Actually, The Return was decided by Showtime and not by Lynch and Frost, so it's purely just a marketing choice.

For them, this is not season 3, nor The Return, just simply "Twin Peaks".

Has Preston ever been called 'Tamara' on the show?

The book character was called Tamara, but this Preston's name plate on her desk says 'Tammy', surely the FBI wouldn't be so informal? I've only ever noticed her being called Tammy by other characters. Credits call her Tammy too.

Obviously Tammy is short for Tamara but I still need to ask: two Prestons?

He was a little over the top. But then most of the acting this series has been that way. It wasn't terrible or anything, but it was a far cry from phenomenal.

But that's how he's being directed.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/twin-peaks-matthew-lillard-interview

Lillard said:
It’s hilarious, but I think that’s David Lynch. I mean, understanding the tone in which he operates. You have to sort of get your head around what he does. He has that level of absurdity—this earnest absurdity . . . I think that great comedy comes out of full commitment.

And that's what a lot of people love about the acting in Twin Peaks.

You know the Commercials I hate forum that had the 'this is the water' quote ahead of time (and something last week as well?),

Well, it has a new quote:

"Hello Johnny. How are you today?"

Weekend after next I'm going to be at the Sheriff's office. I'll also be probably killing myself with ridiculously hot hot wings at the RR later on that same day.

I'll also give Chrysta Bell a high five from all you guys and tell her that everyone on NeoGAF thinks she is the best. Oh, and I'll be telling James that each and everyone on NeoGAF knows that he is cool.

Because he is.

At the end of my hangover-induced re-watch half-way marathon. I love this season the more I watch it.

Note of probably misguided hope: the last time we saw DougieCoop he was staring at a power socket. He wants his shoes back.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm not a fan of the actress playing tammy. The interrogation scene, which on paper should be the meat of that show, fell flat. We got some good exposition but it was ruined by bad acting. At least for me.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Weekend after next I'm going to be at the Sheriff's office. I'll also be probably killing myself with ridiculously hot hot wings at the RR later on that same day.

I'll also give Chrysta Bell a high five from all you guys and tell her that everyone on NeoGAF thinks she is the best. Oh, and I'll be telling James that each and everyone on NeoGAF knows that he is cool.

Because he is.

I was fine until you said James is cool. That lad couldn't be cool if he was frozen in ice.

I'm not a fan of the actress playing tammy. The interrogation scene, which on paper should be the meat of that show, fell flat. We got some good exposition but it was ruined by bad acting. At least for me.
Her swaying and posing is a little much, especially since it's clearly just there because it gives Lynch a chubby, but other than that I find her pretty inoffensive. Downright solid compared to most of the acting in Twin Peaks.

Her swaying and posing is a little much, especially since it's clearly just there because it gives Lynch a chubby, but other than that I find her pretty inoffensive. Downright solid compared to most of the acting in Twin Peaks.

Yeah, I found the three detectives more awkward than Chrsysta Bell. David Koechner looked so uncomfortable to me being part of this weird three stooges troupe doing weird humor.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I have to essentially agree with you.
The posing during the smoke scene felt forced.
When I was introduced to lynch's works, I found the acting to be bad (not in all cases). But the bad acting was used to tell a bigger story, so I excused it and found it endearing.
Now, I'm not turned off by her acting so much that I can't enjoy the show, but she ruined the interrogation scene for me, and that was a major scene. If I wanted to play conspiracy theorist, I'd think that the reason the scene was short was to hide the acting flaws of the actress. And it's a shame because we got some elaboration to the mythos of twin peaks in that scene. The interrogation scene needed more time in the oven, so to speak. But hey, I'm just a schmuck.

Edit: in case anyone quotes me and wants to debate my "bad acting" sentence, I'm not saying lynch= bad acting. There are so many wonderful actors in lynch's movies and shows. Kyle Maclachlan and Naomi Watts are doing a bang up job. And I don't want to exclude Tim Roth and Jennifer Leigh. Their addition are much welcomed.

I was fine until you said James is cool. That lad couldn't be cool if he was frozen in ice.

We can debate if James Hurley is cool or not.

But James Marshall is cool. I've met him before. Super cool guy.

I have to essentially agree with you.
The posing during the smoke scene felt forced.
When I was introduced to lynch's works, I found the acting to be bad (not in all cases). But the bad acting was used to tell a bigger story, so I excused it and found it endearing.
Now, I'm not turned off by her acting so much that I can't enjoy the show, but she ruined the interrogation scene for me, and that was a major scene. If I wanted to play conspiracy theorist, I'd think that the reason the scene was short was to hide the acting flaws of the actress. And it's a shame because we got some elaboration to the mythos of twin peaks in that scene. The interrogation scene needed more time in the oven, so to speak. But hey, I'm just a schmuck.

Edit: in case anyone quotes me and wants to debate my "bad acting" sentence, I'm not saying lynch= bad acting. There are so many wonderful actors in lynch's movies and shows. Kyle Maclachlan and Naomi Watts are doing a bang up job. And I don't want to exclude Tim Roth and Jennifer Leigh. Their addition are much welcomed.
It was literally the first scene she shot, for what it's worth.

At least according to that Matt Lillard interview I posted above.

I thought Tammy was supposed to look awkward during that smoking scene. "I'm standing next to a grumpy ass woman who hates me and I don't know what to do with my hands, I better just try not to lose my composure and not show signs of weakness in front of Diane."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom