• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Custom Skins Thread: Create Your Own Michelangelo's David Jaffe

yW65o.jpg

WHAT: Twisted Metal custom skin creations.

WHERE: http://twistedmetal.com/community/?task=customoverview

HOW TO CREATE CUSTOM SKINS: guide coming soon.

HOW TO GET CUSTON SKINS IN YOUR GAME:

1. Go to TWISTEDMETAL.COM. Under CUSTOMIZER go to BROWSE (to see skins other people have made) or go to CREATE to start the process of making your own.

2. Once you find or make a skin, hit ADD TO MY GARAGE.

3. Once in garage, find the skin you made/like and hit PUBLISH.

4. THEN hit ACTIVATE once it's done publishing.

5. Load up TWISTED METAL on your PS3 and from the MAIN MENU go to OPTIONS. From there go to CUSTOM PAINT SHOP.

6. IF you are just starting you game, I THINK the game auto checks for new skins and downloads them. If your game was already running when you used the web site to activate the skin, you'll need to hit REFRESH SKINS (grey selection at bottom left of the CUSTOM PAINT SHOP SCREEN). You should see a download bar as the game pulls your chosen skins down from the server.

7. Now you can cycle thru the SKINS selection for the car you want to check out and besides the skins that shipped unlocked on disc and the skins on the disc that you've unlocked, you should see CUSTOM 1, CUSTOM 2 (not sure how high it goes) which are the skins you've pulled from the CUSTOMIZER. You can now use these in your MP games (forget, not sure if you can use them in SP modes too- I THINK you can)...

NOTES:

a- SKINS ARE TOO DARK- we are checking into why it is but for now, when in doubt, go bright with your customs until we figure out what up.
b- PASSWORD PROTECTION should be there day 1 but doesn't seem to be- checking with Sony on what up with that.
c- Not sure what up with the NOS promotions- checking with Sony on that too.
d- Once you publish a vehicle, people saying you can't go back and keep working on it. If that's true, we'll look into it. Doesn't sound right.

[from- http://davidjaffe.biz/]

BpByP.jpg

[click thumbnails for larger versions]

Shadow

"GAFhearse"- created by Unicorn- LINK

"TM2 Shadow"- created by Unicorn- LINK

"Shadow GAF"- created by RagnaroX- LINK

"No name given" - created by Unicorn- no link

Meat Wagon

"Ecto 1"- created by Revolutionary -LINK

Death Warrent

"neoGAF Death Warrent 1"- created by weekend-warrior- LINK

"Spider"- created by jhferry

Reaper

"Oldschool Grimm2"- created by boosh5- LINK

Vermin

"Mystery Machine"- created by bonesquad- LINK

"cock-mobile"- created by weekend_warrior- not published

"DeMau5er"- created by cametall- LINK

"Vermin GAF"- created by RagnarokX- LINK

Outlaw

"Pussy Wagon"- created by weekend-warrior- LINK

"Stubbs"- created by PsychoRaven- LINK

"AC/DC Black Ice"- created by
Crimson Fury

"NeoGAF Grey 2"- created by ScOULaris- LINK

"Ferrari"- created by SunhiLegend

To have your skins added to the OP please provide a link to it's profile page at twistedmetal.com

Sweet Tooth

"Sweeth Tooth Gaf"- created by RagnarokX- LINK

"Sweeth Troll"- created byShin Kojima- LINK
Axel

"GAFwheel"- created by RagnarokX- LINK

Kamikaze

"Kamikaze GAF"- ceated by RagnarokX- LINK

"Gravity Suit Samus"- created by georgetheplushie- LINK

Darkside

"Darkside GAF"- created by RagnarokX- LINK

"Motormaster"- created by Shin Kojima

Juggernaut

"Juggernaut GAF"- created by RagnarokX- LINK

Junkyard Dog

"Junkyard Dog GAF"- created by RagnaroX- LINK

"Sergeant Kup"- created by Shin Kojima- LINK

Talon

"Talon GAF"- created by RagnaroX- LINK

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Excellent, glad this has its own thread. Will definitely be tinkering with this soon... Just want to play more first, lol.

ScOULaris

That pic in the OP for my NeoGAF Grey skin is from before I added a second GAF orb to it. Here's how it looks now:

J7k8z.png

In-game the car looks glossier, and the GAF orb on the back window looks like a transparent decal.

The text on the back reads "BELIEVE."

Whoa I had no idea you could even do this! Is it for online only? Or can you use custom paint jos in story mode or against bots?

Seeing this makes me want to purchase the game, if GT5 had customs skins like Forza I would have probably purchased it even though I generally stay away from sims.

When I go to upload a skin there is an option that says "build my car" A status bar comes up but doesn't go anywhere. I am not seeing what you describe with activate option.

cametall

When I go to upload a skin there is an option that says "build my car" A status bar comes up but doesn't go anywhere. I am not seeing what you describe with activate option.

Same here. The bar eventually goes away but it doesn't seem to save my creation.

EDIT: my creation finally went through.

cametall

Finally got mine up.

It's called the DeMau5er
http://twistedmetal.com/community/?task=vehicledetail&vid=147490799

RDcEk.jpg

Did you do anything? Like did you get a confirmation that it went through?

You get sent to another page to publish it, then another to name the creation and give it a description.

I had to go through the blank loading bar twice to get it published.

EDIT: The whole process takes forever. My final "publish" is still loading. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take...

I got past that screen and now get this. The file /var/www/html/twistedmetal/logdata/02_18_12_log.txt is not writable

Cmon already with this fuckin game.

Edit: finally got mine up but cant even really see the graphics. Its to dark.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
The link to my Ecto-1 in the OP is broken: http://twistedmetal.com/community/?task=vehicledetail&vid=147484720
The blue lights don't work, unfortunately, because they're red by default in-game. Plus its missing all the crap on the roof of the car. Oh well, best I can do while being faithful and not adding a bunch of other gaudy shit like the other Ecto 1's on the site.
I'll probably try to fix the windows tomorrow, if possible.

Edit: Windows fixed and equipment added to the roof. I think that about does it for my Ecto-1.

Wanted to make a Samus skin, so I did. It's themed after the Gravity Suit.

http://twistedmetal.com/community/?task=vehicledetail&vid=147492327

Skin notes: The preview on the website is clearly lacking. Not all your changes show up, and as we know everything looks darker when you download it into your game. Custom license plates don't work, at least not for Kamikaze. Had a plate that said "SHNSPRK," and I'm sad it's not there (another candidate for a plate was "THEBABY"). Changed the emblem on the back of the car to the screw attack emblem--hard to make out. After going through and taking the time to erase a lot of the grunge layer, it got reapplied anyway (maybe this is why they're appearing dark?). There's one detail on the back I'd like to change (change yellow section next to taillights to green, maybe change the spoiler to purple too). Might do it after work tomorrow.

In game screens:

ScOULaris

@georgetheplushie: I can also confirm that custom license plates do not work. My GAF Grey skin has a "GAF" license plate in the PNG file that shows up in the skin editor, but not in-game. It's not a huge deal, but I just wanted to chime in on that.

Also, is there a hi-res version of the current GAF orb floating around out there? The reason most of us keep using the old logo is because we have high-quality versions of it that scale nicely.

Drem

Neo Member
Has anyone had any trouble with templates not being opened correctly? I've been trying to work on a Death Warrant design (muscle.zip), but everything comes up a garbled mess if I try to position things based off what I see on the template. Nothing seems to be positioned correctly, so I have to keep test uploading and altering the positioning of of my images to get it to display correctly on the website. In fact, if I just upload the default base-layer you download back to the website it still comes out garbled! Here's the base layer with default views and here's with the doll face skin. One thing I noticed while working on the hood is that the website is reading the hood info from the same area as where the hood is on the base-layer, but rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

I tried uploading Meat Wagon's file back to itself and that worked fine. Anyone with more experience in this area have any idea what's going on here?

GAF's orange and black looks sexy. If we all roll the GAF skin the competition will fear us and know our names lol.

BTW, there is a skin complaint option in the pause menu. I wonder how seriously ESP will take that

Unicorn

Has anyone had any trouble with templates not being opened correctly? I've been trying to work on a Death Warrant design (muscle.zip), but everything comes up a garbled mess if I try to position things based off what I see on the template. Nothing seems to be positioned correctly, so I have to keep test uploading and altering the positioning of of my images to get it to display correctly on the website. In fact, if I just upload the default base-layer you download back to the website it still comes out garbled! Here's the base layer with default views and here's with the doll face skin. One thing I noticed while working on the hood is that the website is reading the hood info from the same area as where the hood is on the base-layer, but rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

I tried uploading Meat Wagon's file back to itself and that worked fine. Anyone with more experience in this area have any idea what's going on here?

What image program are you using? What filetype do you save it as? are you rotating any images? It is odd if it is doing that...

Drem

Neo Member
Adobe Photoshop CS5. I've tried both .jpg and .png. I didn't do any rotation of the image, though I did try it afterwards to see if it would fix anything (it didn't). Same program and file types I used for Meat Wagon, which seems to work fine.

Edit: Curious here. Is the Death Warrant template supposed to be mostly transparent space with the default views?

Edit 2: For further clarification, here is the default template that makes everything garbled while this template creates a proper looking hood and vent. Notice how I had to have my hood design rotated 90 degrees from what I assume the hood is on the original template. It doesn't even line up with anything!

Edit 3: I now see that the template it's making download is completely different from Death Warrant's template in the online editor. Problem found, I guess? The template download is giving me a different file now too and it looks about right, so I guess we can call this case closed.

Unicorn

Adobe Photoshop CS5. I've tried both .jpg and .png. I didn't do any rotation of the image, though I did try it afterwards to see if it would fix anything (it didn't). Same program and file types I used for Meat Wagon, which seems to work fine.

Edit: Curious here. Is the Death Warrant template supposed to be mostly transparent space with the default views?

At the bottom of the layers, there's some solid colors. Grey looks the best. turn the eye on so you can see edges and shit.

RagnarokX

Also turn on the wireframe layer. That will give you a 2D representation of the contours of the model, show edges, and help you wrap images across sides.

It's probably too much to ask, but I wish they had a downloadable version of the online tool so I could use the 3D model viewer to test skin wrapping without having to upload skins to the site repeatedly. When I made that kamikaze skin I didn't know about the wireframe layer, though, so that should make it a bit easier to wrap future skins with fewer trials.

Top Bottom