• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Is Losing Market Share To Facebook Gaming

thelastword

Banned
Apparently Facebook is growing rapidly as a game streaming platform YOY....

-------------------------------
Twitch has long reigned as the king of online video game streaming. Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN 1882.75 -0.96%) snapped up the streaming platform for just under a billion dollars back in 2014 and with the explosion of e-sports and video game streaming since then it has proven out as one of his shrewdest moves.

Fast forward to 2020 and the streaming landscape has a few additional competitors compared to 6 years ago. Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL 1429.58 0.69%) has made strong in-roads with its Youtube Gaming platform. Microsoft (NASDSAQ:MSFT) has been pouring money into its Mixer platform, enticing top personalities such as Ninja and Shroud. Facebook (NASDAQ:FB 218.04 -0.12%) also has its own service called Facebook Gaming, which may have been flying under the radar for some.

https://wccftech.com/twitch-competi...action-facebook-gaming-is-leading-the-charge/
------------------------
Mixer and Youtube have kinda plateaued YOY, though currently it goes like this for streamers; Twitch, YouTube, Facebook with Mixer in last place......

vjZ3g2D.jpg

YtaKIgA.jpg

TacosNSalsa

I wonder why people don't use mixer
People really don't associate it with smaller games that are still big in their own right, if that makes sense . If you're not playing or interested in games like Apex , Fortnite , minecraft ect , you're just not going to go there to stream or watch .

Woo-Fu

Banned
This makes little sense because it's just as competent as Twitch is.
It doesn't matter how competent it is, it matters how much content it has and how much exposure the service has

You have more streamers to choose from on Twitch which means you're more likely to find something you like. It's been around longer, has more partnerships and is almost always the service referenced whenever streaming is discussed.

After all the reports of companies having been given false numbers by facebook for video content, switching from youtube and then realising they'd been lied to, you'll forgive me for assuming this a bunch of bollocks.

I mean if nothing else, isn't Facebook notoriously having a lot of difficulty in getting younger people to sign up? The exact same people that are doing the most streaming? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense that does it.

thelastword

Banned
Why would Facebook gaming leech users from a titty streaming site?
Perhaps they should get in on that action, but tbh, Twitch still has the most variety, the most people playing, the interface is better, much easier to get what you like...…..Then the tie to Amazon if you are on Prime, it's hard to leave that and go to some low traction streaming service...…..
I wonder why people don't use mixer
That name alone is not doing it any favors.....I think the only time I went on Mixer is to get some points for something, when MS had advertised some big conference on Twitch at 4k or somesuch.........I never went back after that......For even regular games, twitch just has the fanbase, was just watching Snakeyez last night on Twitch and he would never have so many people watching if he was elsewhere, because of that the conversations you get in the chat for specific games is more interesting and entertaining.....

Blowing all that money on signing streamers doesn't seem to have worked out so well for Microsoft. I remember when everyone was dead sure switching to Mixer wouldn't cost Ninja any views. Some even said he'd gain more viewers since Mixer wasn't as "toxic" as Twitch. The Verge ran an article with the headline "Ninja’s 80,000 Mixer viewers show that he’s bigger than just Twitch."

Ninja now averages around 6000 viewers. Shroud is down to around 3000. I'm sure they don't mind, since they get paid either way, presumably enough to just retire afterwards and be set for life. But I highly doubt Microsoft is happy with the return they got on their investment.

CptNightStalker

Neo Member
I've also never heard of or seen anyone game on FB. I've only ever seen youtube or twitch to game for money. But hey if FB is going to be the next big thing I'd definitely take a look at it. If they have real offers I'll try it. I've always wanted to make it gaming, that would be so great! I was googling ways to get started in paid gaming earlier and I found this website: https://bit.ly/2tWpvee. Has anyone tried them? Is this a legit thing? Please let me know if you have any info, thanks guys!

njean777

I prefer Mixer over Twitch as I get something for just watching, but I think even Twitch has added a system for that. Mixer though is a nicer interface IMO. Plus I stream On mixer cuz it works from my xbox.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
What has Twitch done to meaningfully improve itself in recent years? Seems it has largely stayed the same outside of small tweaks with the people running it resting on their laurels. =\

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It is unclear how accurate the study was.
Check this:

StreamElements provides software tools (think video production, monetization, marketing etc) for streamers and Arsenal GG provides data analytics and offers free performance statistics channel operators.

Thanks to StreamElements and Arsenal GG we are privy to insightful industry data that gives us the current state of things when it comes to Twitch and the greater streaming market. In fact, StreamElements releases a quarterly report called the "State of the Stream" that provides information such as market share and breaks down how specific categories and streamers are doing.

Considering the study samples only users that have used those editing tools, it is very possible that the sample is small, or completely biased; the tools could have been only advertised on Facebook.
From experience, this sounds more like a thinly disguised piece of guerrilla marketing advertising those. The designers of the tool hope the article goes viral in order to create brand awareness.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What has Twitch done to meaningfully improve itself in recent years? Seems it has largely stayed the same outside of small tweaks with the people running it resting on their laurels. =\

Twitch is a mature product that remains free while continuing to host more and more content. Most of the operating expenses go into scaling the system without spiraling the costs.

DiscoJer

But what about the total number of viewers? It seems likely people watching things on Facebook are probably not the sort that even know what Twitch (or Mixer) is.

Ribi

Facebook gaming sucks. Csgo tried to switch to it a few year back having an exclusivity deal with them and it was a disaster. Prior to them switching (ESL pro league) they were well over 20k viewers per match. After the switch the Facebook stream was near 700 people watching the matchesm it was so bad they had to go back to twitch and for that whole season of pro league the Russian stream was the go to place to watch on twitch.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The same reason they don't go to Joe Bob's Internet Search Engine instead of Google

I'd use the shit out of that.

Facebook gaming sucks. Csgo tried to switch to it a few year back having an exclusivity deal with them and it was a disaster. Prior to them switching (ESL pro league) they were well over 20k viewers per match. After the switch the Facebook stream was near 700 people watching the matchesm it was so bad they had to go back to twitch and for that whole season of pro league the Russian stream was the go to place to watch on twitch.

It was beyond horrible trying to follow the tournaments on FB. Good thing they went back.

Top Bottom