• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch vs Speedrun Community Drama (update: Twitch officially responds)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
doesn't sound like just wanting more information, wanting "pro-horror information" instead

You know English could be their second language, yeah?

By "pro-Horror" they could also mean: "More information in the the camp of 'oh Horror isn't so bad because...'?"

They aren't saying "I want to support Horror" or anything like that. They just want the other side of the equation: What makes Horror a good guy/not as bad as these accusations/etc.

And then you are coming in with "that isn't relevant, so get out."

No, it's completely relevant to the discussion: What is Twitch's defense for this, what makes Horror "defendable"/"Pro-Horror" in Twitch's eyes.

flamingotripod said:
How can you be a "furry"?

I do not understand this at all. Is this bronies with like sonic the hedgehog?

Can someone help me on this?

...You answered your own question.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Here's a message from a Twitch admin to Abahbob who inquired about the bans:

BZkfyRcCMAAgsbk.png:large

How about Horror harassing people ? Does it not count ? Dude has been a dick to most of twitch users since ever. There's a reason people hated him well before today. Not surprised people went ham on him.

Aeana

doesn't sound like just wanting more information, wanting "pro-horror information" instead
I think it's just a strange choice of words. You should have more faith in people rather than attacking them immediately, making sure they're taking the position you're attacking them for.

I think it's just a strange choice of words. You should have more faith in people rather than attacking them immediately, making sure they're taking the position you're attacking them for.

maybe I'm just jaded from the amount of OT threads that devolved into BS

Does such a thing even exist? I can't possibly see how in all of this.
apparently they're going with "poor Horror, he's getting harassed by everyone!", if the above image is any indication

Rojo

Man this is too weird i got to go somewhere more happy gonna read the tearaway thread.....ahh much better.

K.Sabot

Is Twitch run by a bunch of children? I'd always assumed they were a professional internet startup type, guess I was wrong. If I had any sort of business relationship with them I'd be on the phone telling them to get their shit together before this spreads any further. What an embarrassment.

A lot of their staff seems pretty damn young.

meijiko

So on top of YouTube celebs, we have Twitch celebs? I have no idea who are these people mentioned in the OP.

They're "celebrities" in their respective community. Like I'm sure there are well known people in the FGC that I've never heard of, or in LoL or SCII or whatever else has a community. People who have never watched a speedrun aren't expected to know these people, but it's still a big deal to the people who follow the community.

zoukka

If they breached the twitch TOS by calling out mods in their stream titles, then who gives a fuck of they are banned. They knew the risks.

And if you give a fuck about that emoticon, then you are the problem.

How about Horror harassing people ? Does it not count ? Dude has been a dick to most of twitch users since ever. There's a reason people hated him well before today. Not surprised people went ham on him.

I hate that response also. They're trying to turn it around so it seems like everyone calling him out is the bad guy now. They put the ban hammer on a ton of people, and then the person in particular has been known for being a not so great of an admin.

I'm not saying that this might not be hurting this Horror person, but I hate how they're trying to use it as a turn around.

cripterion

Well, there is a bit of a crossover, since plenty of people like to upload their VODs to YouTube for additional exposure.

Celebrity is probably the wrong term. Duke, Werster and Peaches are popular within the speedrunning community.

They're "celebrities" in their respective community. Like I'm sure there are well known people in the FGC that I've never heard of, or in LoL or SCII or whatever else has a community. People who have never watched a speedrun aren't expected to know these people, but it's still a big deal to the people who follow the community.

Oh ok, thanks for the precisions. My first time discovering and using twitch was to check up on the ps4 early streams lol.

Banananana

Neo Member
I hate that response also. They're trying to turn it around so it seems like everyone calling him out is the bad guy now. They put the ban hammer on a ton of people, and then the person in particular has been known for being a not so great of an admin.

I'm not saying that this might not be hurting this Horror person, but I hate how they're trying to use it as a turn around.

Criticize admin's abuse of powers?

Nope, looks like you're just a bigoted homophobe with a vendetta against furries. Not like there's any merit in accusations of said admin silencing all criticism, outright banning people over this criticism, and forcing other websites to censor the criticism.

G-Fex

twitch spammers are idiots.

Going to every room being annoying and spamming R E M O V E H O R R O R ?

idiots.

I think he should ban every person who spams that.

I think the big channels could stand to get rid of 100 or so moronic spammers

But FrankerZ FrankerZ TriHard Kappa right?

Yep they should've known that those stream titles would get them nowhere good.

Don't get me wrong the admin sounds like a child, buy so do these streamers (and don't get me started on the viewers lol).

Considering pretty much everyone in this thread agrees that Twitch's response was about as poor as you can handle a situation like this, it's safe to say they didn't think they'd get IP banned for a stream title. Especially considering there is literally nothing in Twitch's TOS about criticizing admins.

If they breached the twitch TOS by calling out mods in their stream titles, then who gives a fuck of they are banned. They knew the risks.

And if you give a fuck about that emoticon, then you are the problem.

Hey cool, I'm glad you read the thread and found it informative! Thank you for contributing with your intelligent discourse and have a great day!

Dr. Hoofington

Neo Member
The fuck ? How the hell did he get this position with such unprofessionalism ?

I think it's a classic case of growing pains. Horror was probably part of the team from the beginning of Justin.tv. When small projects with small teams get a huge market, the company culture has to be reevaluated at some point in terms of professionalism. Maybe that point is now.

No word from Twitch about what will be changing. Here's what some of the mods said in a Skype call with Abahbob: http://pastebin.com/reeimq94 (not really anything concrete.)

Uugh I can't believe any of this is relevant to anyone. Both the anger at the furry emote, or the being angry about jokes about the furry emote.

I guess it's a lot of kids, right? I don't watch any streams so I'm just guessing here. Kids like to champion causes. It's easy to get them all up in arms about something.

Edit: Well, you're all right. I was bored, lazy, opinionated, and barely read the thread. And I got called out. I apologize, as a comment like this doesn't further the discussion in any meaningful way.

Uugh I can't believe any of this is relevant to anyone. Both the anger at the furry emote, or the being angry about jokes about the furry emote.

I guess it's a lot of kids, right? I don't watch any streams so I'm just guessing here. Kids like to champion causes. It's easy to get them all up in arms about something.

oh hey, another "both sides are the same" post!

meijiko

"I didn't read the thread but I don't get it so I'm just going to call everyone children."

K.Sabot

From what I see, people who love chaos (ie 4chan) got a hold of this and is now ramrodding the personal side of this debacle.

Which is shitty, but trying to misguide the actual issue by focusing on the chaos is disingenuous at best.

zoukka

Considering pretty much everyone in this thread agrees that Twitch's response was about as poor as you can handle a situation like this, it's safe to say they didn't think they'd get IP banned for a stream title. Especially considering there is literally nothing in Twitch's TOS about criticizing admins.

Like I said, the streamers should've known you can't just go on calling out persons on your stream title and get away with it. You can't do it anywhere? Why not send emails to twitch about the case instead of being an immature dick about the matter? Because those streamers felt entitled that's why.

But while I have little sympathy for the streamers that acted part in the folly, it's not like I'm sympathetic towards this horror guy as mentioned before, he sounds like a child, a manbaby and probably deserves whatever is coming to him in his career because he voluntarily took part in the carnival of stupid.

The emoticon however was not a proper reason to call someone out. People just probably found the furry aspect of it as something to hate.

Since it keeps coming up, maybe, just maybe, both sides in this disagreement might benefit from some reevaluation of how they conduct themselves?

There's 3 sides. The streamers who did nothing other than post #REMOVE HORROR in their titles, the trolls who are flinging homophobic shit, and Twitch's awful response to the first group. The repeated drive-by posts of pathetic attempts at moral superiority by lumping the first two groups together are tiresome, especially when there's such a wealth of info clearly delineating the two linked in this topic.

Velcro Fly

Like I said, the streamers should've known you can't just go on calling out persons on your stream title and get away with it. You can't do it anywhere? Why not send emails to twitch about the case instead of being an immature dick about the matter? Because those streamers felt entitled that's why.

But while I have little sympathy for the streamers that acted part in the folly, it's not like I'm sympathetic towards this horror guy as mentioned before, he sounds like a child, a manbaby and probably deserves whatever is coming to him in his career because he voluntarily took part in the carnival of stupid.

The emoticon however was not a proper reason to call someone out. People just probably found the furry aspect of it as something to hate.

They didn't call someone out over an emote. They called someone out over overreacting and banning someone.

Yea, just like GAF is a bunch of "kids" on a video game forum. What an idiotic thing to say. People make their livelihoods on twitch and as posted above none of the banned people violated the TOS. The page views and monetization from adds and subscriptions on twitch is nothing to sneeze at. Worldwide views for major e-sports events rival or surpass the viewership for tier 2 American sports.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
"I didn't read the thread but I don't get it so I'm just going to call everyone children."

If you were an adult, like GalacticGravy, you would understand why it's important to make drive-by posts telling everyone that they're children in a thread you didn't read about people you know nothing about.

You should grow up, meijiko.
lol

There's 3 sides. The streamers who did nothing other than post #REMOVE HORROR in their titles, the trolls who are flinging homophobic shit, and Twitch's awful response to the first group. The repeated drive-by posts of pathetic attempts at moral superiority by lumping the first two groups together are tiresome, especially when there's such a wealth of info clearly delineating the two linked in this topic.

To the first group: how do you think Evilore might respond if people began inserting #REMOVE NAME of an unpopular mod into their thread titles in this community?

Top Bottom