• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two stories from detainees in New York during the RNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohamsie

"The cage reeks of bleach. I’m curled in the e floor is cold and coated in a thick black filth that covers my entire body. "

Very first thing in the article, haha.

Matlock

Banned
ohamsie said:
"The cage reeks of bleach. I’m curled in the e floor is cold and coated in a thick black filth that covers my entire body. "

Very first thing in the article, haha.

Hey now, don't piss on the editing just yet. In a former article, they stated "alluded" instead of "eluded."

ohamsie

Matlock said:
Hey now, don't piss on the editing just yet. In a former article, they stated "alluded" instead of "eluded."

I'm glad you replied about the grammar, because after I posted it I was afraid people would think I was laughing at the situation and not the horrible job of editing. :(

Matlock

Banned
Oh snap! Letter to the editor from today's Daily Kent Stater:

"NYC reporters: Get your story straight"

Dear Editor:

The story "It's not Club Med" was heart-wrenching indeed. My only question is, during the lawsuit, which story are Nick and Beth going to stick with? You see in Nick's article he clearly states that "when police tell me to get out, I know to get out," and claims not to have heard the order to disperse. However, in Beth's article, she states "Cops walk through the park, clubs in hand, telling people to disperse," and then says that she discussed "escape routes" with Nick and a Stater photographer "anticipating mass arrests."

You would figure with all the spare time they had they could have at least told the same story. Besides, who hasn't been detained at least once in their life? I'm sure that good reporters and photographers get locked up all the time; call it an occupational hazard. Whatever you do please don't waste my time with such crybaby articles in the future.

-Matthew Walker
Graduate Student, Biology

Here's another story (there are tons and tons out there, just not being covered by the mainstream press--what a surprise): http://villagevoice.com/issues/0436/gonnerman.php

Highlights include:

-Several stories of detainees who weren't protesting.

-Stories of people denied access to prescription drugs.

-The detention of a Bush supporter who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

-NYC being held in contempt of court for holding people for an illegal amount of time.

Call it melodramatic, call it crybabying, whatever. RNC was a sneak preview of what a real police state here in 2004 America could look like and it's fucking creepy as hell.

Xenon

violin_playing_hw.gif

KingV

Getting arrested sucks, this isn't news. I was arreted for drunk in public once. It sucked. It was much like what happened here, except not as many people (obviously). Errr, not sure how this is different, if they truly were breaking a law, and they got arrested for it, well, get a permit next time. Have a little foresight and stop being such crybabies

xsarien

daedsiluap
KingV said:
Getting arrested sucks, this isn't news. I was arreted for drunk in public once. It sucked. It was much like what happened here, except not as many people (obviously). Errr, not sure how this is different, if they truly were breaking a law, and they got arrested for it, well, get a permit next time. Have a little foresight and stop being such crybabies

You see, the problem is people were arrested just for being in the vicinity of protesters, not necessarily protesting themselves.

But thanks for judging (you too, Xenon)!

KingV

How can they really tell one people out of 1800 is not supposed to be there. I'm sure lots of people were saying that they weren't protesting at that point. It's unfortunate certainly, but it's not the end of the world these people make it out to be.

xsarien

daedsiluap
KingV said:
How can they really tell one people out of 1800 is not supposed to be there. I'm sure lots of people were saying that they weren't protesting at that point. It's unfortunate certainly, but it's not the end of the world these people make it out to be.

It's this thing called "principle." People were held without charge for longer than the law allows, arrested in sweeps when they weren't expecting it, and a judge had to start to fine the city before they really made any kind of concerted effort to clear up the issue.

explodet

some activist said:
New York – Tourists, old ladies and gentlemen, a building superintendent who was taking out the garbage, teenagers going to a play on their first date, ministers, students, bicycle messengers and a good number of bruised and dirty yet singing and chanting protestors.

It's the kind of diversity that New York City is famous for, and during this past week, the best place to find it was in the makeshift jail at Pier 57. The biggest under-reported story of the Republican National Convention was not conservative women making fools of themselves for California's manly governor. It was this: why were 1,800 people arrested when they had done nothing wrong except crowd the sidewalks or block traffic?

The term "pre-emptive arrest" is misleading because it implies that a crime is about to be committed. It implies that Barbara Gates, 78, who planned to walk at a slow pace to somewhere near the Convention and lie down, is a threat to society. It implies that Julia Gross, arrested while walking away from a "kiss-in," is a potential terrorist.

Some are calling the pier where the arrestees were held "Guantánamo on the Hudson" – obviously a gross and privileged exaggeration. (Arrestees were held for days, not years, and none were interrogated or tortured.) Still, police officers and the major newspapers were generally full of praise for the unconstitutional tactic. "It's been a good day," said Police Detective Kevin Czartoryski on Tuesday, a day when over 800 people were arrested. "Things have pretty much happened as planned."

KingV

xsarien said:
It's this thing called "principle." People were held without charge for longer than the law allows, arrested in sweeps when they weren't expecting it, and a judge had to start to fine the city before they really made any kind of concerted effort to clear up the issue.

The way that recent WTO and G8 protests have went, can you really blame them for being overreactionary? I agree, the planning hsould have been better, and the 24 hour rule shouldn't have been violated, but is this the first time you've heard of a cop overstepping his bounds, I saw it a lot in college. Unfortunately, I think it's a huge problem, some places more than others, but there are presumably some legal means to deal with these types of problems (I'm not a resident of NY nor a lawyer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom