• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. detects new activity at North Korea factory that built ICBMs: source

This is new intel by the way and I am questioning why this continuing to happen. I hope President Trump gets North Korea to stop doing this.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...factory-that-built-icbms-source-idUSKBN1KK2KP

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. spy satellites have detected renewed activity at the North Korean factory that produced the country’s first intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United States, a senior U.S. official said on Monday, in the midst of talks to compel Pyongyang to give up its nuclear arms.

Photos and infrared imaging indicate vehicles moving in and out of the facility at Sanumdong, but do not show how advanced any missile construction might be, the official told Reuters on condition of anonymity because the intelligence is classified.

The Washington Post reported on Monday that North Korea appeared to be building one or two new liquid-fueled intercontinental ballistic missiles at the large research facility on the outskirts of Pyongyang, citing unidentified officials familiar with intelligence reporting.

According to the U.S. official who spoke to Reuters, one photo showed a truck and covered trailer similar to those the North has used to move its ICBMs. Since the trailer was covered, it was not possible to know what, if anything, it was carrying.

The White House said it did not comment on intelligence. A senior official at South Korea’s presidential office said U.S. and South Korean intelligence agencies are closely looking into various North Korean movements, declining specific comment.

The evidence obtained this month is the latest to suggest ongoing activity in North Korea’s nuclear and missile facilities despite talks with the United States and a June summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump.

It was not the first time U.S. intelligence clashed with the president’s optimism.

In late June, U.S. officials told U.S. media outlets that intelligence agencies believed North Korea had increased production of fuel for nuclear weapons and that it did not intend to fully give up its nuclear arsenal.

Joel Wit, a former State Department negotiator and founder of 38 North, a North Korea monitoring project, said it was unrealistic to expect North Korea to stop its programs “until the ink is dry on an agreement.”

That was the case with U.S. negotiations with the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and more recently with Iran, “which continued to build more centrifuges capable of producing nuclear material even as it negotiated with the

The Sanumdong factory produced two Hwasong-15 ICBMs, North Korea’s longest-range missiles, but the U.S. official noted that Pyongyang still had not tested a reliable re-entry vehicle capable of surviving a high-velocity trip through the Earth’s atmosphere and delivering a nuclear warhead.

It is possible, the official said, that any new missiles the North is building may be for further testing of such vehicles and of more accurate guidance systems.

“They seem to have figured out the engines, but not all the higher-tech stuff, and that might be what this is about,” the official said.

Harksteed

Banned
To North Korean Supreme Leader Un: NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE. WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!

Dude Abides

Banned
Great Leader Kim would never go back on his word! Great Leader Trump assured us this problem was solved! This must be fake news.

KINGMOKU

Well it's good to see those who cannot stop the political horsecrap for once and realize how bad this is if its confirmed that N.Korea restarted.

Our current president is not going to allow this(going by how and what he has done so far including his rhetoric)and I expect a military endeavor at some point. Very worrisome.

It would have been great for everyone if the talks succeeded and to act like an ass about it is gross and shows you really, honestly dont care about this issue and only that Trump failed at something. Good to know fellow Americans cheer for failed nuclear talks with a rogue state.

Harksteed

Banned
Well it's good to see those who cannot stop the political horsecrap for once and realize how bad this is if its confirmed that N.Korea restarted.

Our current president is not going to allow this(going by how and what he has done so far including his rhetoric)and I expect a military endeavor at some point. Very worrisome.

It would have been great for everyone if the talks succeeded and to act like an ass about it is gross and shows you really, honestly dont care about this issue and only that Trump failed at something. Good to know fellow Americans cheer for failed nuclear talks with a rogue state.
Oh please, people on the right and Trump himself constantly whines about how nobody (and especially the media) gives him no credit for stuff like this.

KINGMOKU

Oh please, people on the right and Trump himself constantly whines about how nobody (and especially the media) gives him no credit for stuff like this.
No. Its gross and sick being happy if indeed these talks failed to produce peace. Cheering for failure at this level is twisted to the core.

People need to reflect on their values if they are happy if these talks failed.

Just imagine the smiles of some folks if missiles begin to fly.

I dont give a damn about credit, kudos, or political affiliation. You cheer for failure for this type of event knowing full well possible outcomes your a ghoul.

Harksteed

Banned
No. Its gross and sick being happy if indeed these talks failed to produce peace. Cheering for failure at this level is twisted to the core.

I dont give a damn about credit, kudos, or political affiliation. You cheer for failure for this type of event knowing full well possible outcomes your a ghoul.
Maybe don't elect a fucking celebrity next time.

Harksteed

Banned
I dont see how that has anything to do with the issue at hand and it's called deflection.

Good grief.
No, it's called electing a person who has experience with diplomacy, politics, anything really that has to do with being President. (And no I'm not talking Hillary specifically)
Obviously we don't know what this will lead to yet, but surely it's not far-fetched that say that sending a random celebrity with no experience to have peace talks with a dictatorship with potential nuclear weapons might not be the smartest idea. He's already started shit with Iran because of a deal that is a million times better than anything he's achieved with North Korea so god knows where this is going to go.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
But.....but.....but Trump told me that everything was fine?!?!? They pinky swore on it and everything!

Seriously though we knew this was coming. North Korea has never held up their side of the bargain so why on earth would they start now? Because Trump is such a "great negotiator"? Really?

On another serious note we need to immediately resume military drills in the area. If they have no intention to hold up their end I see no reason why we should either.

Dude Abides

Banned

Who’s cheering for failure? People are just pointing out it was obvious from the get go this would amount to nothing. Nothing wrong with that, even if it hurts Trumpers’ feelings. Tone down the outrage.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, I'm gonna need a little more evidence. Especially after the whole "zomg NK isn't giving back the soldier remains, oh wait here they are" non-story hysteria.

:unsure:

It's almost like one shouldn't believe a regime that systematically lies.

https://www.38north.org/2018/07/gporter072618/

Major media reporting on what is alleged to be intelligence and photographic evidence that North Korea intends to deceive the United States in negotiations on denuclearization has been extraordinarily misleading. It has blithely ignored serious issues surrounding the alleged intelligence conclusions and suggested that North Korea has demonstrated bad faith by failing to halt all nuclear and missile-related activities.

Recent stories do not reflect actual evidence of covert facilities, but rather deep suspicions of North Korean intentions within the intelligence community that have been fed to the media by individuals within the administration who are unhappy with the direction of the president’s North Korea policy following the Singapore Summit. And breathless reports on improvements in North Korean nuclear and missile facilities ignore the distinction between a summit statement and a final deal with North Korea. They have thus obscured the reality that the fate of the negotiations depends not only North Korean policy but on the willingness of the United States to make changes in its policy toward the DPRK and the Korean Peninsula that past administrations have all been reluctant to make.

These stories also underscore a broader problem with media coverage of the US-North Korean negotiations: a strong underlying bias toward the view that it is futile to negotiate with North Korea. The latest stories have constructed a dark narrative of North Korean deception that is not based on verified facts. If this narrative is not rebutted or corrected, it could shift public opinion—which has been overwhelmingly favorable to negotiations with North Korea—against such a policy.

https://www.38north.org/2018/07/rcarlin073118/
Pyongyang media managed to mark the July 27 anniversary of the North’s “victory” in the Korean War without a single mention of whom the war was fought against or over whom victory was achieved. The norm over the years has been to tout June 27th as the date of victory over the “US-led imperialist aggressors.” This year’s coverage went no further than simply referring to “imperialists.”

Last month, Pyongyang had similarly played down the celebration of the June 25th anniversary of the outbreak of the Korean War. The restraint on these two war anniversaries probably has a two-fold purpose. First is to signal to both internal and external audiences that the situation vis-à-vis the US has changed since the June Singapore Summit, and that the US is no longer being portrayed as the enemy. Second is to signal the that the Korean War should no longer be seen as a current issue between the US and the DPRK but rather a historical event that can finally be declared as having been swept aside to make room for a new relationship. Internally, finally getting past the Korean War is crucial for Kim to be able to move ahead with his economic plans, which will require a loosening of internal controls and a reallocation of resources from national defense to civilian spending.

I mean, everyone but supporters called this. They're in the pocket of China and this is their common pattern of behavior.

Fool me 6 times....shame on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom