• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. omits Iran and Hezbollah from 'terror list'

Status
Not open for further replies.
An annual security assessment presented to the U.S. Senate by James Clapper, the director of National Intelligence, has excluded Iran and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah from its list of terror threats to U.S. interests, despite both being consistently included as threats in previous years.

The unclassified report, issued by Clapper on February 26 and entitled the Worldwide Threat Assessment of the U.S. Intelligence Communities, was published by the Times of Israel amid Israeli concerns that Iran was omitted simply because of Tehran’s efforts to combat ISIS.

In a previous report from January 2014, Clapper included Iran and Hezbollah in the ‘Terrorism’ section, writing that both “continue to directly threaten the interests of U.S. allies. Hizballah [sic] has increased its global terrorist activity in recent years to a level that we have not seen since the 1990s”. Iran was also given its own sub-heading in the ‘Terrorism’ section of such assessments in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Yet in the latest report, Clapper omits both Iran and Hezbollah from this section, only mentioning the Shiite Muslim militant group once in reference to the threat it faces from radical Sunni groups - such as ISIS and the al-Nusra Front - on Lebanon’s borders. In regard to Iran, the report names it as both a cyber and regional threat to the U.S. because of its support for Syrian president Bashar al-Assad.

However, the report speaks of Tehran’s assistance in preventing “ISIL [another term for ISIS] from gaining large swaths of additional territory” in Iraq. It adds that the Islamic Republic has “intentions to dampen sectarianism, build responsive partners, and deescalate tensions with Saudi Arabia”.

The report fails to mention that Hezbollah is labelled as a terrorist organisation by both the U.S. and the European Union, while it receives the majority of its funding from Tehran. The omission comes as Washington and other world powers continue to negotiate with Iran to strike a deal over its nuclear program and capabilities.

The assessment adds that Iran has “overarching strategic goals of enhancing its security, prestige, and regional influence [that] have led it to pursue capabilities to meet its civilian goals and give it the ability to build missile-deliverable nuclear weapons, if it chooses to do so.”

The Israeli thinktank Meir Amit Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center has claimed that the removal of both actors from the U.S. terror assessment comes amid Iranian support in the fight against ISIS, where Tehran’s shadowy former spymaster Qasem Soleimani is directing the offensive on the Sunni-majority city of Tikrit.

“We believe that this results from a combination of diplomatic interests (the United States’ talks with Iran about a nuclear deal) with the idea that Iran could assist in the battle against the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq and maybe even in the battle against jihadist terrorism in other countries,” the NGO’s assessment of the report said.

Max Abrahms, professor of political science at Northeastern University and member at the Council of Foreign Relations, believes that the omission signals a “quid pro quo” between Washington and Tehran.

“I think that we are looking at a quid pro quo, where Iran helps us with counter-terrorism and we facilitate their nuclear ambitions and cut down on our labelling of them as terrorists,” says Abrahms. “The world has changed. The Sunni threat has gotten worse, the Islamic State is a greater danger than al-Qaeda ever was, and the Iranians have really come up big in terms of helping us out in combating the Islamic State.”

Hezbollah has been accused of responsibility for a number of terror attacks against U.S. or its partners interests, such as the 1983 bombings of the U.S. embassy and American military barracks in the Lebanese capital, Beirut; the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community centre in Argentina and the 2012 Burgas bus bomb on Israeli tourists in Bulgaria.
Via Newsweek

commedieu

Banned
If this is part of negotiations, the Obama admin isn't very good at negotiating.

hard to negotiate with people when your definition of terrorism is applied to yourself, as well as your allies.

I think this will help the nuclear talks. Anything that helps that process be transparent, unlike Israels secret development of nuclear weapons @ their Dimona nuclear facility.

BobLoblaw

Banned
hard to negotiate with people when your definition of terrorism is applied to yourself, as well as your allies.

I think this will help the nuclear talks. Anything that helps that process be transparent, unlike Israels secret development of nuclear weapons @ their Dimona nuclear facility.
Agreed (looking at you Israel). This doesn't mean we aren't still keeping tabs on them and what they're doing, but they aren't actively terrorizing people like those ISIS or Boko Harem assholes currently are. Plus if them not appearing on the list helps with negotiations, then so be it. This doesn't mean we've completely stopped noticing what they're doing.

commedieu

Banned
Agreed (looking at you Israel). This doesn't mean we aren't still keeping tabs on them and what they're doing, but they aren't actively terrorizing people like those ISIS or Boko Harem assholes currently are. Plus if them not appearing on the list helps with negotiations, then so be it. This doesn't mean we've completely stopped noticing what they're doing.

nods with approval.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's what it comes down to, if it helps move the negotiations forward even an inch then it is worth it. It's just a dumb designation anyway, it's not like we're going to stop watching out for these guys or try to stop them from doing bad shit.

Still better than loading them up with weapons and supplies like the US has done with other groups in the ME that eventually went bad.

I swear. Obama admin is better than a lot of alternatives, but I don't see why they did this. If not only, to avoid the backlash from the right. It is just going to make them stronger and keep the "not keeping us safe" rhetoric going strong.

injurai

Banned
Tricky since Iran-backed terrorist groups have recently taken Yemen

Iran could imply the people or the government in charge. Either way it's a political gesture.

Taking Hezbollah off the list I'm a little more surprised about. I really haven't kept up with them, as they haven't been making news much recently. Seems they have a fair amount of political activity going on, so maybe they are cleaning up their act. The west has had plenty of vigilante, counter-culture, resistance groups. It's becoming depressingly hard from a western lense to really see through the facade sometimes. That will all the terrorism rhetoric. Healing is healing, and that's certainly what we want to be seeing.

I swear. Obama admin is better than a lot of alternatives, but I don't see why they did this. If not only, to avoid the backlash from the right. It is just going to make them stronger and keep the "not keeping us safe" rhetoric going strong.

Probably because they're in active negotiations with Iran...it's not like there's some big mystery. That is almost certainly the reason

I cant wait for the US and the world to work things out with Iran. There are so many bright minds there that could contribute so much to the rest of the world.

ISOM

Why would the administration endanger negotiations by putting them on the terror list? Is common sense that lacking?

Has Hezbollah targeted the US since the Marine bombing? And besides the supposed Saudi Plot in DC when has Iran really threatened the US in the last 20 years? They def did a lot of horrible things in the 90s like in Argentina, but since Bush they seem to just care about cementing their power in the middle east and not really threatening US interests, unless we define that as SA's interests.

Iran and Shias in general don't seem to want to export their ideology all over the world like Sunni-Salafi groups that are actively recruiting in Europe and calling for attacks on innocents.

Isn't Hezbollah the only thing preventing Israel from steamrolling Lebanon?

no

Noshino

If this is part of negotiations, the Obama admin isn't very good at negotiating.

?

They are doing a much better job than most other powers in the region keeping things from going completely crazy.

They are holding back Assad, Israel, and ISIS. 3 that we haven't been able to do much against.

Crisco

Banned
Good, labeling nations and organizations which we have policy disagreements with as "terrorist threats" has never been constructive. Save that label for people who really deserve it, like Canadians.

Probably because they're in active negotiations with Iran...it's not like there's some big mystery. That is almost certainly the reason

I understand, I was just speaking from a communications/politics side here in the states. In truth, it doesn't matter what they are labeled as, as I'm sure they will be watched regardless.

Iran is much more western than we think, actually. At least as far as the general population goes. Although it is weird that Hezbollah was included in this.

squidyj

Good, labeling nations and organizations which we have policy disagreements with as "terrorist threats" has never been constructive. Save that label for people who really deserve it, like Canadians.

we will fight you to the last drop of syrup.

Has it been opposite day on this board recently? People making comments like, "Palestine having its own state is a setback for security and diplomacy" and now this.

You think it's BAD for negotiations to take your negotiating partner off your "terror list"??? Really?????? Jesus Christ.

My problem with this is solely that you know it's going to cause maximum resistance and outrage from the right...and the administration will probably cave and quietly reverse this. If you're going to do this, do it and stand by it.

?

They are doing a much better job than most other powers in the region keeping things from going completely crazy.

They are holding back Assad, Israel, and ISIS. 3 that we haven't been able to do much against.

Iran is holding back Assad ? Iran is what has kept him in power since day 1.

Pretty clearly a part of the negotiations; both sides have to make concessions, and apparently Iran is pretty prickly over that whole "axis of evil" thing, understandably.

Pretty clearly a part of the negotiations; both sides have to make concessions, and apparently Iran is pretty prickly over that whole "axis of evil" thing, understandably.

What concessions are Iran making ? Fighting ISIS is not a concession, it's needed to keep their Iraqi vassals in power and in Iran's interest.

Kyoufu

It'd be great for me and my family back in Iran if sanctions were lifted. Our economy has gone to serious shit ever since.

US diplomats cant directly engage any representative of an organization on their terror list. Removing Hezbollah from that list simply removes some diplomatic redtape and allows the US to bypass third party intermediaries like Qatar. I think its fucking absurd the US was putting a ban on their ambassadors having a direct line to Hamas and Hezbollah, they arent morally or principally worse than Bashar al Assad, whom the US engaged for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom