• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. omits Iran and Hezbollah from 'terror list'

Status
Not open for further replies.
What concessions are Iran making ? Fighting ISIS is not a concession, it's needed to keep their Iraqi vassals in power and in Iran's interest.

Not actively calling for death to the country that ousted one of their democratically elected representatives and put a dictator in charge.

Baby steps.

Very, very interesting developement. New alliances getting formed. This is big.

I want to see how Saudi Arabia handles this.

New alliances? Lmao, Hezbollah is basically a terrorist group that did conduct terrorist attacks against other places besides US areas. It even says that the EU puts them as a terrorist group. If anything its political because of the nuclear talks or because they aren't considered a threat this year since its annual . Iran wouldn't be allies to US anytime soon; probably indirectly work together on certain issues. Piss off too many nations for that to happen.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Le...-report-due-to-format-change-us-official.ashx

The Hezbollah wouldnt exist as a thorn in Israel's side if Ariel Sharon hadnt decided to wage a war of territorial conquest in the 80s.

Azih

Tricky since Iran-backed terrorist groups have recently taken Yemen

I don't know man. Labelling the Houthi as Iran-backed terrorists seems to be quite a lot of pejorative assumptions.

Hezbollah wouldn't exist if Israel hadn't occupied Southern Lebanon. It ain't Al-Qaeda. It ain't Daesh/ISIS/ISIL. It ain't the Taliban.

Seriously Iran is better than Saudi Arabia in pretty much every way except for the vast amount of cheap oil that Saudi has.

I don't know man. Labelling the Houthi as Iran-backed terrorists seems to be quite a lot of pejorative assumptions.

Hezbollah wouldn't exist if Israel hadn't occupied Southern Lebanon. It ain't Al-Qaeda. It ain't Daesh/ISIS/ISIL. It ain't the Taliban.

Seriously Iran is better than Saudi Arabia in pretty much every way except for the vast amount of cheap oil that Saudi has.

yup.

necrosis

good

being ostensibly allied with israel while maintaining a "terror threat list" of any sort has always been an odd dichotomy; likud is more terroristic than hezbollah or iran could ever dream to be

necrosis

Because while Israel has been a colossal cunt to the Palestinians, they're not actually interested in conquering the region?

This isn't exactly fair to say, given that Israel has annexed land from several neighboring countries and currently occupies other land that U.N. mandates have designated as not belonging to them (the Palestinian territories and Jerusalem, for example).

At a glance, Israel certainly seems imperialistic.

Care to say why not?

They have no interest in Lebanon (outside of their own security), and no reason to go to war.

Hell no. They are both shit. Iran is supporting the murderous Assad regime in Syria, through their own troops and Hezbollah proxy.

Lone Wolf

This isn't exactly fair to say, given that Israel has annexed land from several neighboring countries and currently occupies other land that U.N. mandates have designated as not belonging to them (the Palestinian territories and Jerusalem, for example).

At a glance, Israel certainly seems imperialistic.

The U.N. has designated Jerusalem belonging to Palestine?

Mii

Banned
To those saying this isn't alliance building, it's time to wake up. These are the first steps to the U.S. better assisting Hezbollah and Iran both with handling ISIS and coordination against ISIS is definitely a part of the upcoming deal. So is our lightening of our language regarding Assad that's been occurring as of late (next part of the deal is probably for Assad to step down with no repercussions and for his people to keep managing the government). As has our general apathy to the revolution happening in Yemen. The U.S. needs the Peshmerga Kurds, Hezbollah, and Iran and its own air strikes all working together if it has any hope of putting down ISIS (particularly in Syria). They are going to be cooperating far more than either will admit publicly yet, or even for years. It will be acknowledged more publicly eventually though.

Azih

Hell no. They are both shit. Iran is supporting the murderous Assad regime in Syria, through their own troops and Hezbollah proxy.

Alright. Let's tally this up.

Iran supports Assad, Hezbollah, new Iraqi govt.

Saudi sheikhs send money to and support Al-Qaeda, the Afghani and Pakistani Taliban, and ISIL.

Now if you're really saying that Hezbollah and Assad are in any way equivalent to Al-Qaeda, the Taliban and ISIL then you are nuts.

Also Assad is no worse than Hosni Mubarak was and whatever crimes he committed were confined to Syria. Unlike the pure evil that Saudi oil money supports.

Alright. Let's tally this up.

Iran supports Assad, Hezbollah, new Iraqi govt.

Saudi sheikhs send money to and support Al-Qaeda, the Afghani and Pakistani Taliban, and ISIL.

Now if you're really saying that Hezbollah and Assad are in any way equivalent to Al-Qaeda, the Taliban and ISIL then you are nuts.

Assad is no worse than Hosni Mubarak was.

Is this a joke post or does GAF really have Assad supporters?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I don't think it's a defence of Assad, moreso an indictment against Saudi Arabia, Al-Qaeda, the Taliban and ISIS.

Assad, while not murdering people, was a secular leader in a very non-secular part of the world who still enjoys a tremendous amount of popular support in the country. Minorities could live freely under his rule. Let's not pretend that the Saudis, who are far more authoritative, intolerant and socially backwards than Assad, would step down quietly if there was a foreign-backed revolt against them, it would probably be bloodier than Syria.

IpsoFacto

Why am I not surprised? As far the Middle East is concerned, the Obama Administration acts like a confused teenager with low self esteem who is way too concerned with what people might think of him and will do just about anything do win everyone's approval.

necrosis

The U.N. has designated Jerusalem belonging to Palestine?

no; pursuant to resolution 181, jerusalem was supposed to be established as a corpus separatum under a special international regime

israel declared the resolution void and has subsequently ignored it, opting instead to occupy the city and claim it for themselves

To be fair the US did kinda of overthrow the democratically elected ruler and installed a dictatorship in Iran.

That does deserve some level of apology.

Azih

Assad is very low on the list of ME villains. Now certainly that says way more about the ME than Assad but compared to the kind of shit Saudi supports Assad doesn't even crack the top 10 of people we should be going after/not supporting.

Assad's Syria was a lower grade of bad than Saddam Hussein's Iraq and more stable to boot. Plus a large portion of the rebellion against Assad has been completely co-opted by Al-Qaeda, ISIL types that are a different league of evil.

It's just really bizarre to me how anything even remotely associated with Iran gets tagged as irredeemably evil when Saudis just keep fucking things up for everyone in the region and internationally.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Tricky since Iran-backed terrorist groups have recently taken Yemen

The Houthi are not "Iranian Backed" .

thats such a simple analysis of a complex situation.

Just because they are Shia doesnt mean Iran is calling shots. People use the same excuse on Shias in Bahrain, to delegitimize their protest against the gov't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom