• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Senate panel puts self-driving cars in fast lane

This can't come soon enough. The fatality rates and the general lack of awareness and competence of the average American driver is a never ending health and public safety crisis. Because so much of the country relies on cars and not public transportation, we just suck it up and accept it. Even the earliest forms of self driving cars are substantially safer and more capable than the average driver. Once we start hitting the saturation point where self driving cars can communicate basic parameters to other self driving cars, we will hit a transportation revolution. Our interstate system will transform into a pseudo "rail" network practically over night. Cars aligning in packs based on shared destinations, utilizing drafting packs at distances perfectly safe for networked self driving cars but too dangerous for humans to reliably drive. Cars merging perfectly at bottle necks preventing the classic backups that can extend miles back from the congestion point. This will be on the level of the internet revolution in terms of wide spread impact. Cars with driver assist should be mandatory much sooner than later. As for the, "but my classic cars!" people quickly retrofitted disc brakes on older cars that used the inferior drum brakes. Moreover, sensors and computers are small, so there could be some compromise of a few systems well short of auto pilot that must be installed to make your car road legal in the years to come.
I think you are being incredibly optimistic about the roll out of this thing.

Krakatoa

This is good news. The amount of people I see daily driving and looking at their phones, rather than the road is crazy. Its like the new drink driving.

Beartruck

I am ok with self driving as long as manual override is an option. Normal weather? Drive for me, sure. Midwestern winter where they'res too much snow to see the road lines? Gimme the wheel.

Air

Banned
This is the thing I'm most excited about for the future. Driverless cars can't come soon enough

I think you are being incredibly optimistic about the roll out of this thing.

I understand it is ahead of us, that is why I said I am happy they are getting this moving faster, sooner than later. Each step is important and I hope to see progress in my lifetime. It has the potential to save tens of thousands of lives a year. Outside of the medical world, it is crazy to see such a massive public health initiative.

entremet

I'm almost certainly always going to need manual override. I have to regularly drive onto an army base, and I don't fancy letting the car handle getting through an armed security checkpoint by itself.

Oh definitely. But since these will have built in analytics, the data will be there.

Dinokill

Whats with all the people saying that they expect this thing to roll out and take over in the next 3 years? Lmao. This is going to take decades if not more. In a hundred years there will be still more manual car than self-driving ones on the road.

Whats with all the people saying that they expect this thing to roll out and take over in the next 3 years? Lmao. This is going to take decades if not more. In a hundred years there will be still more manual car than self-driving ones on the road.
Not a chance. We're getting level 5 autonomous cars next year or the year after. Most people hate commuting. They'll drop their commuter cars for a autonomous one the first chance they get.

We're probably 1 decade out from mass adoption. And that's worse case.

turmoil

Banned

We'll see

Currently there are rumors of Waymo(google) launching a preliminary service on Phoenix in the following months, and GM doing in the next quarters.

Loki

Count of Concision
Answer the question as to your decision as a human driver first

Like I said, a human driver will look towards self-preservation provided it's not such a quick decision that the mind reacts instinctively and has time to process the options.

For example, you're traveling down a road and a deer or child darts out from the side of the road You can swerve to avoid the deer/child, but that would entail crashing into a large tree/wall on the other wide, likely killing you.

How does an AI car currently perform this calculus? What are its prime considerations?

Like I said, a human driver will look towards self-preservation provided it's not such a quick decision that the mind reacts instinctively and has time to process the options.

For example, you're traveling down a road and a deer or child darts out from the side of the road You can swerve to avoid the deer/child, but that would entail crashing into a large tree/wall on the other wide, likely killing you.

How does an AI car currently perform this calculus? What are its prime considerations?

It will favor the driver's safety in most cases.

To be honest, I'm more concerned that people will learn how to hack self driving cars more easily. I'm not familiar enough with this stuff but I'm more worried that someone could hack another person's car and take control of their vehicle. Or someone spreading a virus through vehicles. As I said, I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject but if self driving cars could be hacked. Then I could see it being a new favorite weapon for terrorists.

Also would this significantly effect the jobs market? Truck drivers, delivery drivers, Cabs, Uber, etc. I imagine a lot of those jobs will get hit hard especially Cabs, Uber, Lyft, etc.

Not to be a debbie downer as I'd be the first person in line to get a self driving car. However, the effects would be significant and not to be taken lightly either.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Cannot come soon enough. Humans can't drive for shit. Selfish, impatient morons.

To be honest, I'm more concerned that people will learn how to hack self driving cars more easily. I'm not familiar enough with this stuff but I'm more worried that someone could hack another person's car and take control of their vehicle. Or someone spreading a virus through vehicles. As I said, I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject but if self driving cars could be hacked. Then I could see it being a new favorite weapon for terrorists.

Also would this significantly effect the jobs market? Truck drivers, delivery drivers, Cabs, Uber, etc. I imagine a lot of those jobs will get hit hard especially Cabs, Uber, Lyft, etc.

Not to be a debbie downer as I'd be the first person in line to get a self driving car. However, the effects would be significant and not to be taken lightly either.

Hacking a car remotely was done years ago. Chrysler had to issue a recall:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wir...rn-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/amp

And yeah self driving cars are going to put a lot of people out of work. More unemployed people who can blame immigrants.

Mr. F

Banned
This seems rad, so long as the social safety net expands in step to accommodate for people displaced by automation

One of the few times I'm glad for corporate interests in Washington.

Driverless cars is the future and will save thousands of lives, and no more need for freight drivers/truck drivers to waste their health and careers on staring at roads for ridiculous hours. Commuting can turn into actual productive time (take a nap, read/work/produce/consume/etc). Travel times will decrease, which will decrease costs, vehicle wear, road wear, etc. Might even cut down on sex trafficing with less human elements involved.

Humans cant get out of the driver seat any faster

I'm all for self driving cars, but I don't understand people insisting on there be no way to manual override. If I'm inside a fast moving vehicle I don't care how good the ai is I want the ability to take over if I need to in case of malfunction.

FyreWulff

I would think any serious attempts at self driving cars will have closed internal network, partly because reaching to the outside is going to have too much latency to help anyway.

Part of the reason cars have been somewhat hackable to this point is that cars use a form of networking called a CAN Bus which was designed to be cheap as possible. Notably, it does not support encryption, you can do it with what amounts to a software hack, but you can still MITM it fairly easily.

I'm worried about what unemployment will look like in the years when self driving cars begin to replace truck drivers. Truck driving is the single largest employer of men in most large (area) states in the US, including Texas and California. While I personally welcome the self driving future so I can sleep through my commute, I can't imagine the negative economic impact it is going to have for many people.

GatorBait

I'm all for self driving cars, but I don't understand people insisting on there be no way to manual override. If I'm inside a fast moving vehicle I don't care how good the ai is I want the ability to take over if I need to in case of malfunction.

Theoretically, at some point in the future, people won't even learn how to drive and the cars won't have steering wheels.

Not a chance. We're getting level 5 autonomous cars next year or the year after. Most people hate commuting. They'll drop their commuter cars for a autonomous one the first chance they get.

We're probably 1 decade out from mass adoption. And that's worse case.

Lol, no.

Dristan

Neo Member
As good a place as an to bring it up but I remember a couple months ago reading here on Gaf about a "glitch" where self driving cars will read a street sign wrong if tape is placed on certain spots. I don't think this will be much of a problem because hell if early self driving cars will still not have someone with hands on 10 and 2 at all times but I'm just curious if any progress on that front has been worked out at all.

I can say I have faith in the technology to work as it should for the most part and be an overall gain for the roads but I also fear the ways people can fuck with it. Imagine the payout if you can manipulate a self driving car into hitting you. Ugh.

Loki

Count of Concision
As good a place as an to bring it up but I remember a couple months ago reading here on Gaf about a "glitch" where self driving cars will read a street sign wrong if tape is placed on certain spots. I don't think this will be much of a problem because hell if early self driving cars will still not have someone with hands on 10 and 2 at all times but I'm just curious if any progress on that front has been worked out at all.

I can say I have faith in the technology to work as it should for the most part and be an overall gain for the roads but I also fear the ways people can fuck with it. Imagine the payout if you can manipulate a self driving car into hitting you. Ugh.

Forget about even nefarious stuff like that - what about when ice/snow cover or partially obscure traffic signs or road markings? Will construction cones be recognized? What if a few consecutive ones have been previously knocked over, leaving an opening - does the AI recognize that it shouldn't shift into that lane? There are myriad issues, and in my opinion these problems won't be solved for at least a decade.

I don't know why people think this is a thing that will happen in 5-10 years. What about snow? What about places with bad cell connections? What about about rain, and cost, and people that just want to drive? Not to mention most of them you still have to be behind the wheel "just in case"

Of course it's the future eventually, but everyone saying this is coming up right away is fooling themselves

Foffy

Banned
I don't know why people think this is a thing that will happen in 5-10 years. What about snow? What about places with bad cell connections? What about about rain, and cost, and people that just want to drive? Not to mention most of them you still have to be behind the wheel "just in case"

Of course it's the future eventually, but everyone saying this is coming up right away is fooling themselves

Those people can fuck off. It's that simple. Next to smoking, driving produces some of the largest body counts of preventable deaths human beings produce. If the technology is safer, to hell with "muh freedom" to drive.

Besides, they'll eventually be priced into adoption with lower costs via car insurance to driverless cars as they get normalized. Companies can already price driverless trucks at lower costs than the starting salary for drivers, so this is something that will totally explode in the coming years. This overlaps with the fact those damn Millennials don't buy cars, but that's more on the curation of a precariat class, which happens to make it a quick generational adoption to something like this.

The people holding resistance to it are stone aged, in a sense. Holding onto nostalgia and "freedom" which, like the comparison made to guns earlier, just shows a level of pigshittedness in holding onto ways that when looked at in a macro scale are more negative than positive, more destructive than liberating.

Driverless cars will be normalized in the 2020s, for sure. The only way it doesn't is if America pulls an America and resists the fact we're in the 21st century, not trying to find a clock to bring us back to the 20th.

Locke562

I can’t wait to own a self driving RV. I hate driving long distances but I love naps, video games and travel. It’s the perfect thing for me.

Cipherr

Is nobody else worried that there are going to be no jobs for the uneducated in our lifetime?

Supporters for forms of UBI are, certainly. We see it coming.

But the real issue with Self Driving is people seem to think it will find resistance like Guns in the U.S. but they are wrong. Self driving trucks will make the corporations that adopt them billions in profits over human drivers, and the Republicans are going to be all over supporting that, and the Dems will support it for the safety reasons.

The parts of America that will kick and scream over it will be ignored by their representatives as this is pushed live as soon as its ready. Those people that will be out of work had better start voting for UBI. Because once those jobs go, they aren't coming back.

America sure as shit will try because loljobs.

Trucks were omitted from this adoption, the one thing you'd expect and want to see taken away first.

I truly believe trucks were only omitted for now because they arent ready. Google and others have hundreds of thousands of self driven miles of testing in things from cars to SUV's but I know of no such extensive testing with 18 wheelers with real heavy cargo yet. But it will come after cars and SUVs, and notice the article says even some Republicans were in favor.

Foffy

Banned
I truly believe trucks were only omitted for now because they arent ready. Google and others have hundreds of thousands of self driven miles of testing in things from cars to SUV's but I know of no such extensive testing with 18 wheelers with real heavy cargo yet. But it will come after cars and SUVs, and notice the article says even some Republicans were in favor.

Nah, there was a lobbying group for truckers that was the reason the House omitted them. The name of the group escapes me, at present.

It had nothing to do with the technology but the jobs cult clinginess that will eventually prove futile, which this technology will get around: unions are known to historically lose the endgame to these types of paradigm shifts.

Them being ready is secondary. It was lobbyists that got them off the table at this stage.

Jesus Christ I can't wait to never operate another motor vehicle ever again. Even if the tech kills me I want my funeral to specifically mention that I died not driving therefore it's all good don't even feel sad, straight up.

Maedre

Banned
Jesus Christ I can't wait to never operate another motor vehicle ever again. Even if the tech kills me I want my funeral to specifically mention that I died not driving therefore it's all good don't even feel sad, straight up.

but driving is fun :(

America sure as shit will try because loljobs.

Trucks were omitted from this adoption, the one thing you'd expect and want to see taken away first.
A stunning lack of empathy for 4.4 million unskilled workers that would have no real options for future employment beyond driving in the US.

Joeku

Lots of things that are fun are restricted in some way because they're dangerous. Weaponry, drugs, etc.

By the time we can no longer drive we'll have all sorts of wild VR stimulation to replace it. And also sweet cyberpunk drugs named Scratch, Drag, or Hypo!

Just had my brakes done and then a bearing went. Almost had someone plow into me the other day because they were fucking around with whatever. I remember back in August taking an Uber to an airport in Toronto and looking at the cement hellfuck nightmare that commute was.

The boys taking the quads out to hunt moose, I get the enjoyment factor there. When I gotta drive four hours to and from apt. to work, I'd rather have my teeth kicked all in.

hqdefault.jpg

Even if your own driving experience isn't like that, I feel that it's putting one's own enjoyment above the safety of others.
But then I start to think that I'm putting the lives of those killed in auto accidents on a scale against those who's lives are dependent on a transportation jobs.
And that's too much for me to handle.

99Luffy

Banned
I think most people with self driving cars wont use the feature 90% of the time. Theyll turn it off as soon as they find out that everyone will pass them by because theyre stuck doing the speed limit and no one lets them through in agressive bumper to bumper traffic.

pigeon

Banned
I think most people with self driving cars wont use the feature 90% of the time. Theyll turn it off as soon as they find out that everyone will pass them by because theyre stuck doing the speed limit and no one lets them through in agressive bumper to bumper traffic.

Who cares? More time to watch TV or catch up on emails.

All this will do is speed up restrictions on manual driven cars and speed up the adoption of self driving cars.

Foffy

Banned
A stunning lack of empathy for 4.4 million unskilled workers that would have no real options for future employment beyond driving in the US.

It's not a lack of empathy. I acknowledge we are about to face a paradigm shift that involves our social body to be bleeding profusely.

Let us not be children and assume band-aids are going to stop arterial tears.

I have long argued that the problem of the future is the imposition on the "necessity" to jobs. To say I lack empathy when we need to face the problem directly, to not sugar coat it, shows a profound lack of where I stand, and I'm rather prevalent in topics on matters like this.

I'm not here saying to automate the jobs and for them to go to hell. Our goal should be to automate the fuck out of jobs and ask ourselves why is this a transformation of suffering and difficulty instead of positive transformation. We hold ideas that are the problem here, for it's not the change that's of issue.

A real lack of empathy is to say our goal should always be full employment. It normalizes precarious jobs, zero-hour contracts, and "work as dignity" which is almost always propaganda for people to assimilate to the filth they're given, because "any job is better than no job." What a load of bullshit. Even worse are the liars, both on the left and the right, who believe in the infinite job tree when we're talking about technology that is by and large aiming to supercede human capabilities, not be an extensionality to it.

The very culture we live in that demands jobs as survival value is really the space that lacks empathy. I hope you can see this.

Top Bottom