• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber, Mired in Corporate Scandals, Sees Uptick in Bookings

entremet

SAN FRANCISCO — Uber has spent the past eight months reeling from a series of corporate scandals. Yet those have done little to deter people from hailing an Uber for rides.

That became clear on Wednesday, when the ride-hailing company shared its latest financials with investors. According to the disclosures, Uber's gross bookings continued to increase in the second quarter, while its losses narrowed. Trip requests from riders also more than doubled over the past year.

The numbers were a reminder of how much people have grown accustomed to using Uber as a transportation option, even as the company is grappling with multiple challenges. In June, Travis Kalanick resigned as Uber's chief executive after accusations that the company had become a hotbed of sexism and bullying. Benchmark, a major shareholder, has spent the past few weeks clashing with other Uber investors as it tries to oust Mr. Kalanick from the company's board.

Yet while some investors and outsiders have expressed concern that Uber's business was in jeopardy because of the internal dysfunction, Wednesday's results showed a positive trajectory for the business.

In the second quarter, Uber's gross bookings rose to $8.7 billion, up 17 percent from the previous quarter. Uber's adjusted net revenue — or the amount of money earned after paying out its drivers — jumped to $1.75 billion from $1.5 billion over the same period. Ride requests increased 150 percent from a year ago, though Uber did not disclose the number of rides requested.

I still use Uber and still enjoy the service immensely. I thought I would hate the tipping, but I've been using that too.

I guess it shows how much regular cabs still suck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/...te-scandals-sees-uptick-in-bookings.html?_r=0

Con_Smith

Banned
Anyone notice uber price reduces after checking with lyft. It's been happening to me the last few days anywhere form a few cents to a couple dollars. I try to use lyft because of the Android pay discount but since this has been happening I've been using uber a lot more.

Fuchsdh

Not that surprising, because there's plenty of people who haven't heard about Uber's crappy tactics or personnel, and because I imagine a lot of people ultimately don't care because they prefer the convenience.

Nobody talks about any other single cab company apart from them.

And the more scandals go around, the more only uber is mentioned.

People with political or personal dealings care about the scandals.

The rest of the world is just trying to get their stuff done in the short amount of time they ha e in a day and uber let's them do that.

BenjiGAF

Distressing news. Girlfriend was sexually harassed by a driver so she switched to Lyft when i can't pick her up myself.

Guevara

It's a good service, people like it, it's clearly the industry leader.

I boycott for labor reasons, some people boycott for other reasons, but I recognize I'm in the minority.

Socivol

I would love to see how many people say they stand for social justice and still use Uber. I got rid of it in January and haven't used it since. The prices of Uber and Lyft are the same.

Futureman

95% of drivers in Pittsburgh seem to be both Uber & Lyft drivers. Seeing as such, I will always use Lyft unless I'm in some city that is Uber only.

I'm going to need to use either Uber or Lyft to get from my house to the airport in a week or so and the price differences between the 2 make no sense.

Uber which is having issue after issue is showing on average $10 more than Lyft for the same ride.

IhqNCMf.png

5tlD3kE.png

Guevara

I'm going to need to use either Uber or Lyft to get from my house to the airport in a week or so and the price differences between the 2 make no sense.

Uber which is having issue after issue is showing on average $10 more than Lyft for the same ride.

Lyft is generally some pothead in a hatchback. Uber is a little more 'corporate'

At least in my experience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only once did we use Uber where we got a guy in a junker of a car.

One time we used Uber and had a guy pick us up in a sweet Lincoln and it was only at the Uber X rate.

Lyft we got the same guy twice on different days in a Chevy Volt.

DOWN

Banned
Lyft is generally some pothead in a hatchback. Uber is a little more 'corporate'

At least in my experience ¯_(ツ)_/¯

your experience in very limited. I use both Lyft and Uber in NYC, have had near identical experience with both
Many drivers try to do both, but Uber is indeed the one who pushed the professionalism while Lyft pushed ride-sharing friendliness. Lyft says it’s good to offer the front seat like it is your buddy and make conversation if the rider is interested, while Uber says stock water bottles in the back seat. They often end up identical experiences, but that is probably thanks to Uber being king of market share and thus most drivers knowing the “impress them” rules of Uber.

Top Bottom