• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft changes ending in Assassin's Creed Odyssey due to backlash

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So basically technically anyone offended by the original story won't be playing any other past or future AC games because to them AC ended in Odyssey.
So no complaints in the next game then.
^^ when you look at the bigger picture it does seem ridiculous and it's common sense that it had to happen so to complain about it is a bit silly.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That was not the point, the point is that Ubisoft said that no sexuality is canon to prevent people from going nuts about it being this way or the other, but then later did declare heterosexuality was the actual canon sexuality this whole time so people are rightfully pissed about it.

Yes, they had. They said no sexuality is canon but then they turned around and declared a canonical sexuality via a DLC.

The entire core DNA, pun intended, of the Assassin's Creed series storyline is that there is a bloodline throughout the entire line of history for the DNA mapping of the Animus to work.

If the bloodline ends, then that can't be canon for the other games past and future, that's just fanfiction.

This is what happens when you try to co-opt an entire core foundation/lore to appease to modern social issues.

Now if they remove Odyssey from canon and just say it's an alternate universe version, then fine, but it does not align at all with the very DNA of the series otherwise.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Someone told me that this no longer applies. Apparently the main character from Origins has no children and his DNA was put directly into Animus from a mummy they found.

edit: Found this on the wiki "During this expediton, Layla found the mummies of the ancient Assassins Bayek and Aya. Without informing her superiors, she used her own portable Animus to relive their memories from around the year 48 BCE in order to prove her worth to the Animus Project. "

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Someone told me that this no longer applies. Apparently the main character from Origins has no children and his DNA was put directly into Animus from a mummy they found.

edit: Found this on the wiki "During this expediton, Layla found the mummies of the ancient Assassins Bayek and Aya. Without informing her superiors, she used her own portable Animus to relive their memories from around the year 48 BCE in order to prove her worth to the Animus Project. "

And fans of original canon have every right to roll their eyes at this shit too, since it seems sloppy and tacked on, especially a series based on lineage.

Again, this is one of the reasons I dread for the future of the gaming industry. No one has a spine anymore. Why conform to a few people’s ideologies on social mediaif they most likely aren’t interested in your game in the first place? We are in a bad place imo when a few outspoken people online can alter the vision of an entire company because a few people feel offended.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

And fans of original canon have every right to roll their eyes at this shit too, since it seems sloppy and tacked on, especially a series based on lineage.
Yeah well that is all fine but you either stick with it, complain about it or stop playing it, it is their story to write. But saying "no sexuality is canon" the turn around and say "well actually no, heterosexuality is canon" is just bad. They wrote a bad story, but the fans have the right to call them out on their nonsense.

This is the piece of shit world we are living in today folks. We are on the Mob-Outrage era, an era where 10 manchildren yelling on twitter have the power to force an AAA-Third party like ubisoft to change the core idea of their saga just for the sake of PC.
No, that isn't the case at all. Ubisoft made a promise, they broke it and people got upset. There is no illegitimate "mob-outrage".

Again, this is one of the reasons I dread for the future of the gaming industry. No one has a spine anymore. Why conform to people’s ideologies if they most likely aren’t interested in your game in the first place? If you want game a particular way, stop letting communities influence your decision.
Sigh...Ubisoft said "no sexuality is canon" but then made one canon regardless, so people are upset about Ubisoft breaking a promise. This has nothing to do with ideologies or anything of the sorts. The people who complain are perfectly in the right.

Honestly, people here are acting like NPC leftits. Whatever leftists do is automatically bad, regardless of the context. Reminds me of that thread about that one SJW game journalist who made a very interesting argument about NPCs in Red Dead 2 and everybody just pilled on her without understanding what she was writing. I can't believe I am here defending SJWs...a group of people that thrives on persecuting people like me, but in this one instance I am in agreement with them.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is the piece of shit world we are living in today folks. We are on the Mob-Outrage era, an era where 10 manchildren yelling on twitter have the power to force an AAA-Third party like ubisoft to change the core idea of their saga just for the sake of PC.

Except the issue isn't with the so-called "man children". The issue is mainly with Ubisoft for changing the ending of the story. It's freaking stupid! People are okay to complain about something and sound silly about it. But for a billion dollar company to change their game because of it, is super dumb!

mcz117chief

Because it sounds insane.
What is insane about it. Ubi said "no sexuality is canon" then releases a DLC that makes one sexuality canon, people get mad and rightfully so. So what is insane? It isn't any different than botching up any other part of the story, it sucks and a fix is in order.

royox

No, that isn't the case at all. Ubisoft made a promise, they broke it and people got upset. There is no illegitimate "mob-outrage".

They said you could play as you want and have the romantic relationships you wanted durin the game.

They never said anything about the DLC's. People is apeshitmad because they feel their head-canon is being destroyed by ubisoft. Ubisoft are only trying to stablish an historical credible canon so they can keep the saga going. But of course SJW gonna SJW. We have already seen what SJW think about historical accuracy.

You have a point tho about ubi fucking up people's canon with a dlc. What you are not taking in consideration is that when the reverse thing happens (a canonically straight character suddently becomes gay because of reasons) there's no twitter mob outrage or 1000000000 Kotaku/Polygon articles crying about it.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Man too bad Star Wars fans aren't given as much weight as whiny SJW's. Imagine what good the backlash could of accomplished against Lucas's special editions !!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What is insane about it. Ubi said "no sexuality is canon" then releases a DLC that makes one sexuality canon, people get mad and rightfully so. So what is insane? It isn't any different than botching up any other part of the story, it sucks and a fix is in order.

Good question. I'll answer it this way....

- Ubi should have never said "no sexuality is canon" to people. They should have known that was a dumb road to go down considering the future (past) games.

- Why are people acting as if gay people have never procreated? There have been gay people on this planet for 1000s of years. Their DNA\lineage didn't have to stop with them. Clearly, they had sex with the opposite gender for whatever reason.

- How do they wait until the DLC to reveal this anyway?

You have a point tho about ubi fucking up people's canon with a dlc. What you are not taking in consideration is that when the reverse thing happens (a canonically straight character suddently becomes gay because of reasons) there's no twitter mob outrage or 1000000000 Kotaku/Polygon articles crying about it.

This is 100% FALSE!!!! This has happened 1 million times by the anti-SJW crowd (what are they called anyway?).

Last edited:

mcz117chief

They said you could play as you want and have the romantic relationships you wanted durin the game.

They never said anything about the DLC's. People is apeshitmad because they feel their head-canon is being destroyed by ubisoft. Ubisoft are only trying to stablish an historical credible canon so they can keep the saga going. But of course SJW gonna SJW. We have already seen what SJW think about historical accuracy.

Right. I totally agree with you about the last part, that is why I despise SJWs/NPCs. That doesn't change the fact that you could legitimately roleplay something in the main game yet the DLC forces you into a situation that goes completely against your roleplaying from the main game. Like if in Mass Effect 3's DLC Omega you would HAVE to romance Aria even if you already had a romance partner.

Good question. I'll answer it this way....

- Ubi should have never said "no sexuality is canon" to people. They should have known that was a dumb road to go down considering the future (past) games.

100% agree, but then again if they did then they just have to stick with their guns. They did it with Mass Effect and it worked fine, no romance was forced and you can be gay, bi, straight all the way through.

- How do they wait until the DLC to reveal this anyway?

Ubi gonna Ubi I guess? Maybe they underestimated the SJW outrage?

Last edited:

royox

This is 100% FALSE!!!! This has happened 1 million times by the anti-SJW crowd (what are they called anyway?).

Well I don't remember the "Now Kaidan Alenko is gay after being straight for 2 games" anti-SJW crowd and is the nearest example I can remeber (Mass Effect).

And of course, there will be always idiots protesting...but to the point to force an AAA Third party to re-release their content for literally pander their sexuallity desires? I can't remember.

Like if in Mass Effect 3's DLC Omega you would HAVE to romance Aria even if you already had a romance partner.

If you do certain correct actions Aria kisses your Shepard despite him/her having an active romance :p. It's a "fuck It I want to kiss shepard" impulse she has in a second xD

NEEDED

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Well I don't remember the "Now Kaidan Alenko is gay after being straight for 2 games" anti-SJW crowd and is the nearest example I can remeber (Mass Effect).

And of course, there will be always idiots protesting...but to the point to force an AAA Third party to re-release their content for literally pander their sexuallity desires? I can't remember.
Yeah I don't even remember that one.
mckmas8808 mckmas8808 do you have any examples, mate?

If you do certain correct actions Aria kisses your Shepard despite him/her having an active romance :p. It's a "fuck It I want to kiss shepard" impulse she has in a second xD
Yes, I am aware of this, but you aren't forced to do it, only if you choose to do it, right? I haven't played the DLC myself (actually the only DLC in the Mass Effect series I haven't played) but you probably need to make some advances on Aria before this scene happens. Not like in the AssCreed game where you can repeatedly refuse to have anything to do with this one guy and the suddenly "whoops here comes the baby". Also, Shepard got raped by Aria there! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom