• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms Broken Sword: The Director's Cut (Wii/DS)

Ikopi

Jefklak said:
did anyone here buy sam & max on the wii? Is there a PAL version available, and is it any good?

Yes, I have it, PAL. Pretty hard to come by nowadays, but can still be found in some usual gamestores (bought mine in Mediamarkt a few weeks ago). Awesome oldschool adventure, but the port is a bit shoddy. My Wii crashed a few times, but it autosaves constantly so not that big of a deal.

Broken Sword is awesome, I don't know yet if I will get it for Wii or DS.

MightyKAC

Will own on G Motherfucking P.

(Is it me or is the Wii the ONLY system that can cater to the lowest common denominator of gaming then turn around and give THIS piece of pure awesomeness? )

Ricker

MightyKAC said:
Will own on G Motherfucking P.

(Is it me or is the Wii the ONLY system that can cater to the lowest common denominator of gaming then turn around and give THIS piece of pure awesomeness? )

Yes and amongst all the shovelware,thank god for that... :D

Yixian

Banned
Sloane said:
I'm going to buy both, but if I had to choose, I'd take the Wii version -- voice acting etc.

No voice acting on the DS version? I guess I'll have to go bug Tony to release it on the PC. I mean, I did give him the ideas for the fucking face shots, he owes me.

Sloane

Banned
faceless007 said:
So wait, is it the same game for both the Wii and DS?
Yeah, but DS has no voice acting, as far as I know.

Yixian said:
I guess I'll have to go bug Tony to release it on the PC.
I believe Tony mentioned Ubisoft hasn't shown any interest in releasing a PC version though it's essentially done. Not sure though.

Jefklak said:
Holy shit broken sword I completely blew me away this is GREAT news!! :D

(BSII was a lot less exciting though... But still good)
Slightly off-topic:
did anyone here buy sam & max on the wii? Is there a PAL version available, and is it any good?
Sam & Max is near unplayable on Wii, sadly. Voices get cut off at the last words in a conversation and the game runs really choppy. For example during a car chase the game was running at like 10 fps, if that. After that I haven't played it again. A damn shame really cause I could tell that there was a fun game beneath the technical issues.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
AndyMoogle said:
Sam & Max is near unplayable on Wii, sadly. Voices get cut off at the last words in a conversation and the game runs really choppy. For example during a car chase the game was running at like 10 fps, if that. After that I haven't played it again. A damn shame really cause I could tell that there was a fun game beneath the technical issues.

The issues aren't really that much of a problems... the sound clip issue is relatively minor and doesn't occur during ALL the audio, and the car driving game wasn't really THAT bad. I think it was the design more than the frame rate.

I had some bizarre sound stuttering during the game show with green guy, though.

Yixian

Banned
Sloane said:
I believe Tony mentioned Ubisoft hasn't shown any interest in releasing a PC version though it's essentially done. Not sure though.

The good thing about Rev is you can make them do more or less whatever you want if you bug them enough. They're one of the few developers out there who actually listen to message board posters :lol

They'll release it eventually, it might be a few months from now but we can wear em down, there's no point in alienating all us old time fans when a PC version is by definition 95% complete.

Datrio

Yixian said:
The good thing about Rev is you can make them do more or less whatever you want if you bug them enough. They're one of the few developers out there who actually listen to message board posters :lol
QFT, although having it "essentially done" isn't everything. They have to get a publisher, which might not be so easy, and I don't think they have the balls to release the game via Steam, or some other cheap download service.

But hey, what do I know. Lure of the Temptress and Beneath the Steal Sky are freeware, so everything's possible.

Yixian

Banned
Datrio said:
QFT, although having it "essentially done" isn't everything. They have to get a publisher, which might not be so easy, and I don't think they have the balls to release the game via Steam, or some other cheap download service.

Steeeeeaaaaaaaam.

Even without the voice acting I think I'll go with the DS version. I need an adventure game to play before I go to sleep at night. Hotel Dusk and the Ace Attourney games didn't suffer without voice acting.

there's a new IGN PREVIEW up for the Wii and DS versions, what with a new TRAILER and such. And the static character images do animate during conversations, I dunno what's up with the footage but its from an incomplete build perhaps.
ign.wii said:
Revolution has extended the original core game with new content that respectfully compliments the old. Most significantly, The Director's Cut explores original female protagonist Nico's background – specifically, her murky, mysterious past – that was only ever hinted at in the first game. It's content that fleshes out old relationships and introduces new ones over the course of its several-hour run-time. Impressively, it's been subtly interwoven into the original plot – making for a lengthy title that should prove satisfying to both old-hands and newcomers alike.
broken-sword-the-shadow-of-the-templar-directors-cut-20090220112116772.jpg

hotness.

you sons of bitches better buy this, because...
ign.wii said:
as Cecil and Gibbons are keen to point out, they've been looking for the right time to revisit the Beneath a Steel Sky franchise for a very long while…

HyperZone<3 said:
you sons of bitches better buy this, because...
I never buy into that crap, but I am looking forward to playing it again. To do Beneath a Steel Sky justice they'd have to go 3D probably and the budget for that would be phenomenal. It's either on the cards or it isn't, I don't think the few dozen thousand people that will pick this up and mention it to their friends is going to change that.

stuburns said:
No voice acting in the DS one? There is no excuse for that. None.
The game is dialogue heavy, and you have to imagine most people will be playing on their commute. Also note that larger DS carts are still very expensive to use, and it would likely push the cost of the game up.

StuBurns

Banned
Visualante said:
The game is dialogue heavy, and you have to imagine most people will be playing on their commute. Also note that larger DS carts are still very expensive to use, and it would likely push the cost of the game up.
I've played it, and it is heavy on the dialogue, but the original was only on two CDs, and the DS resolution is far smaller, you can downscale all the visuals massively. I guess the cart price is the issue, but it's a shame because I wouldn't buy it without them. They might as well just put it on iPhone if they're taking the vocals out.

_PsiFire_

Great interview soldat7 - thanks for posting it.

I really hope this sells well - Cecil wants to do more Director Cut's and they want to make a sequel to Beneath a Steal Sky!!

Hmm.. If they re-do BS 3&4 they want to do them in 2D.

_PsiFire_ said:
Great interview soldat7 - thanks for posting it.

I really hope this sells well - Cecil wants to do more Director Cut's and they want to make a sequel to Beneath a Steal Sky!!

Hmm.. If they re-do BS 3&4 they want to do them in 2D.
Hey, you're not the only guy who thinks that's a good idea.
Not only that, but, assuming the remakes prove popular, Cecil said the developer "will explore new ways of maybe doing Director's Cuts of other Broken Swords, or Beneath a Steel Sky, or new Broken Swords or new adventures".

Cecil's comments are guaranteed to get fans of his work hot under the collar. Revolution enjoys a loyal fan base that has pushed for remakes of the studio's classic adventure games with online petitions and community-driven projects.

Cecil said that "if we got that far", Revolution would remake Broken Sword 3 and 4 which were 3D games) in 2D for the Wii and DS.

"It would be a case of reinterpreting them," he said, "probably taking more liberties than we did with the first one. The first one, I didn't want to change any of the assets, I just wanted to add to them. I don't think I'd take that philosophy. But yeah, it would probably be a move back to 2D for those two. So that would be a major reinterpretation."

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would've loved a director's cut for Beneath a Steel Sky, since the original game is actually a bit short, considering it came on 15 Amiga-disks!

And I'd love to see another Lure of the Temptress as well. That was REALLY short.

BluWacky

A potentially stupid question, but are the Wii and DS versions going to be exactly the same from a puzzle point of view? An interview I read with Cecil was a bit ambiguous as to whether they would each have unique puzzles, and I am VAGUELY tempted to buy both if they are different mostly because I think Revolution are generally awesome and want to support them any way I can.

Going to start playing Broken Sword 2.5 this evening (unless I buy Suikoden Tierkreis on my lunch break...) to get me in the mood for this.

Timber

epmode said:
Why bother? It's not like the entire fanbase was built on PC or anything.

Oh wait.
oh shut up. it's already established it's a publisher decision; im sure revolution is willing to bother. and stop blaming others for your sad entitlement issues.

Top Bottom