• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects The Division to be one of the largest new IP launches in history

stb

IIRC Watch_Dogs launched on like 5 platforms no?

Yep (PC, X360, Xbone, PS3, PS4). Sorry, I wasn't super clear; I was mostly comparing Division to Destiny with the "3 platforms" bit. To be super clear, I don't intend to suggest Division will out-sell/ship/earn Destiny. I just think there's a lot going on surrounding the launch of Division that could propel it into a Top 10 new IP launch by any quantitative metric.

EDIT: Yikes, top of page post.

There's a lot of talk about graphics, but my gameplay experience in the closed beta was average at best. Standard fare mission structure with pseudo mmo features. I shot more men in hoodies than I care to admit. I'll have to see some enemies and bosses that are visually and mechanically interesting to fight against, along with more unique weapons and armor for me to get invested. I didn't find the cover shooting gameplay to be any more or less interesting than any others I've played. Naturally this is just the beta, but I've yet to see any indication that things are going to improve on this front. Judging by the recent patch notes, they do seem to be dedicated to delivering a structurally solid game.
Dark Zone is this games ace in the whole. I love the 'Runescape-wilderness' feel to it.
The game has enough hype garnered by the beta to anticipate a great launch, but I do wonder if the content will be enough to give it legs.

The pics Crossing Eden are good. I'm not saying The Division looks bad. I'm saying it looks downgraded. There are certainly better spots like the pics he has there. I'm making a statement from the hours that I saw. Too much of the environment just looked similar. I get that it's New York and Manhattan is largely buildings and streets, but the demo they originally showed manage to show an environment that looked, well, less generic overall. If the Division popped out day 1 like it is today at E3, I would think it is a good look g game because it is a good looking game. My whole argument this time is that the game was downgraded and I am disappointed by that downgrade.

Oh okay.. I understand. However considering that it is a beta I mean, isn't there room for there to be a bit of benefit of the doubt? On top of that, while playing it, I never felt a downgrade tbh. From the E3 footage, there wasn't a lot of showing off what exactly each part of the city looked like but for what's there, I would say that they have alot more content than before. I understand being disappointed but I think it may just be misguided. I thought the beta was gorgeous for what it was and the environments were amazing and well done. We haven't seen the entire game yet and other boroughs. I think taking a step back is needed here. I'm not going to say how you feel is wrong, I just don't agree with your assessment that's all.

diaspora

Yep (PC, X360, Xbone, PS3, PS4). Sorry, I wasn't super clear; I was mostly comparing Division to Destiny with the "3 platforms" bit. To be super clear, I don't intend to suggest Division will out-sell/ship/earn Destiny. I just think there's a lot going on surrounding the launch of Division that could propel it into a Top 10 new IP launch by any quantitative metric.

EDIT: Yikes, top of page post.

I think I can agree with that. I see it possible, even likely, for it to crack the top 10.

The pics Crossing Eden are good. I'm not saying The Division looks bad. I'm saying it looks downgraded. There are certainly better spots like the pics he has there. I'm making a statement from the hours that I saw. Too much of the environment just looked similar. I get that it's New York and Manhattan is largely buildings and streets, but the demo they originally showed manage to show an environment that looked, well, less generic overall. If the Division popped out day 1 like it is today at E3, I would think it is a good look g game because it is a good looking game. My whole argument this time is that the game was downgraded and I am disappointed by that downgrade.

What footage are you talking about? unless you're talking about Brooklyn ( That may or may not be in the game. Though a folder for that map can be seen in the beta files), which is naturally a more varied place then Manhattan.

Now I'm not even going to pretend that the Division we saw from 2013 and 2014 respectively. Looks exactly the same as the Division we are getting now only because things change and that's the difference between a concept and a real game. E3 is presentation outlet and nothing more. Take everything you see there with a grain of salt because half of the game's won't even look like whats showcased or they will simply disappear.

Though i will say that the 2013 and 2014 footage didn't really look that similar either, maybe because they were trying different things it seems. Compare that E3 2013 and EGX 2014 footage and there are some changes visually. So whatever build they choose to go with, is what we got and the closest we had to a real look at the final game. Was the Manhattan footage.

So yeah something had to change for it to be a playable game.

Pop

I don't know why these pubs don't just slap a disclaimer on their early footage: "Take from a work in progress and subject to change". It is shady to present consumers with something which is supposed to be representative of the final product and then deliver something different. A simple disclaimer would solve this problem.

Well you would think the consumers are smart enough to get that. Who am I kidding, people love to be ignorant.

Division will be huge but who cares if its not the biggest selling new IP. The beta had more quality then all of Destiny.

Gurish

Wow is this on consoles? It looks amazing, can't understand how can anyone complain on such visuals.

Edit: just saw the uploader's comment + button prompts, this is the PS4 version, beautiful stuff, now I realize why the first post was shitty, this is not a WD case, this time the game actually looks amazing, downgrade or not, unlike WD that looked mediocre even without considering any downgrade.

stb

I'm going to buy and play The Division simply because nothing like it exists on PC. I'm looking at you Bungie.

This is exactly what I mean about including PC. PC players (myself included) saw the excitement before and around the Destiny launch and felt left out. Division is the closest thing (I'm not forgetting Warframe) to Destiny PC players have, and that's gonna move some units.

If Destiny was on PC you would still be buying The Division with the current drought in content.

Hah. Also true.

]Well you would think the consumers are smart enough [/B]to get that. Who am I kidding, people love to be ignorant.

Division will be huge but who cares if its not the biggest selling new IP. The beta had more quality then all of Destiny.

I wish but game communities continue to get sweep up in the E3 hype or Showcase hype.

Only to turn mean, and either forget or never understand the process behind the actual making of a working game and making a demo for people to see and not touch.

Apart from the rendering quality and TINY details on the ground, it's pretty much the same assets.

maxresdefault.jpg

Apart from the rendering quality and TINY details on the ground, it's pretty much the same assets.

maxresdefault.jpg

Right so i think we can confirm that this is a staged photo and not really in game. Meaning some or most of the vehicles in the game have lost some visible detail and geometry. Now rather or not that affects my enjoyment of the game is null.

The atmosphere is a bit different but its not that different. Some different lighting tricks were happening in that footage in 2013.

Still you can get some really amazing pictures of this quality or even a bit better in the beta.

Also i think we can confirm that this is a staged photo and not really in game. Meaning some or most of the vehicles in the game have lost some visible detail and geometry. Now rather or not that affects my enjoyment of the game is null.

Also the atmosphere is a bit different but its not that different. Some different lighting tricks were happening in that footage in 2013.

Yeah, it looked like some sort of Fake Game Footage. I was very skeptical coming off that Watch Dogs fiasco they had previously but after seeing the Beta, I've done a 180 on the game; both visually and gameplay-wise.

cripterion

Right so i think we can confirm that this is a staged photo and not really in game. Meaning some or most of the vehicles in the game have lost some visible detail and geometry. Now rather or not that affects my enjoyment of the game is null.

The atmosphere is a bit different but its not that different. Some different lighting tricks were happening in that footage in 2013.

Still you can get some really amazing pictures of this quality or even a bit better in the beta.

I disagree here.
And this shot is still used to promote the game hence some people have a right to bitch about how the game is marketed.

Yeah, it looked like some sort of Fake Game Footage. I was very skeptical coming off that Watch Dogs fiasco they had previously but after seeing the Beta, I've done a 180 on the game; both visually and gameplay-wise.

Not faked but staged and controlled. It was a concept gameplay demo, it's as real as a staged demo will be. That Ghost Recon Future war thread is a good insight.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182516

Surfinn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKtjDDsO6Y4

I've gotta say, those wood and glass destruction physics are just awesome. This is exactly what HL2 was touted to do but ultimately couldn't in the end product (and that was almost 13 years ago).

Awesome achievement. Just wish there was more of this and it more directly impacted the gameplay. Sure, the game doesn't look as good as the reveal, but I'll be damned if I can find a title that looks better.

Hopefully we'll get it running at a higher framerate; on my 980 I was hitting 45 or so maxed out.

this shot is still used to promote the game hence some people have a right to bitch

Still I'm glad I'm not that quick to latch on (even as a graphics freak) and think that's what the game was going to look like after 3 years.

I disagree here.

Okay but there are lots of pictures that people have taken that look almost just as good. Rather you believe that or not is fine.

Tovarisc

Is that on Steam or Ubi though?

Who controls what's on the page? They haven't been changed since the pre-order page went live.

The official website and youtube channels are full of current game footage.

Afaik it's up to publisher of the game to manage games Steam Store page, from pricing to media to descriptions.

ironcreed

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKtjDDsO6Y4

I've gotta say, those wood and glass destruction physics are just awesome. This is exactly what HL2 was touted to do but ultimately couldn't in the end product (and that was almost 13 years ago).

Awesome achievement. Just wish there was more of this and it more directly impacted the gameplay. Sure, the game doesn't look as good as the reveal, but I'll be damned if I can find a title that looks better.

Hopefully we'll get it running at a higher framerate; on my 980 I was hitting 45 or so maxed out.

Okay, now this is impressive. It is always these small details that add up for me and tell the real story. In addition to a game just plain looking great as well is a bonus. I don't see how anyone could complain when this is what we are getting. Just top shelf stuff all the way.

cripterion

Still I'm glad I'm not that quick to latch on (even as a graphics freak) and think that's what the game was going to look like after 3 years.

Okay but there are lots of pictures that people have taken that look almost just as good. Rather you believe that or not is fine.

I said I find the game beautiful, I just disagree that any footage from the beta looks better than the vertical slice.

Tovarisc

Good to know. But still that page has not be updated for a while, there is some real old stuff there.

Expect up-to-date info to pop up week or so before release. A lots of games do it that way on Steam. Put pre-order page up with info of that time and close to release they redo info with stuff that reflects release.

Surfinn

Okay, now this is impressive. It is always these small details that add up for me and tell the real story. In addition to a game just plain looking great as well is a bonus. I don't see how anyone could complain when this is what we are getting. Just top shelf stuff all the way.

Right, the game looks fantastic. If the reveal stuff never happened, everyone would be praising the visuals (those who aren't now, anyway). It's too bad that happened but.. what we're getting is still amazing.

I really, really hope there's a push for more physically accurate interactions in the future. So much potential there. HL2 was ahead of its time in a BIG way, but even so long after its release, we're behind in where those goals were ultimately headed.

ironcreed

Banned
Right, the game looks fantastic. If the reveal stuff never happened, everyone would be praising the visuals (those who aren't now, anyway). It's too bad that happened but.. what we're getting is still amazing.

I really, really hope there's a push for more physically accurate interactions in the future. So much potential there. HL2 was ahead of its time in a BIG way, but even so long after its release, we're behind in where those goals were ultimately headed.

What really blew me away is when I realized that this was on console (PS4). Crazy attention to detail in an open world. All while looking this good? Hell yes, I am even more excited than ever for it now.

Mentok

Banned
I'm really looking forward to trying the open beta! I REALLY hope the servers for this game hold up... R6 Siege is still plagued with a ton of issues (to the point it's just maddening for me).

cripterion

Expect up-to-date info to pop up week or so before release. A lots of games do it that way on Steam. Put pre-order page up with info of that time and close to release they redo info with stuff that reflects release.

Well, I guess they're guilty of not updating their steam page then.
pre-order canceled

Well they do have a recent trailer there (albeit not the most recent skills trailer). Not trying to be an ass here, but I'm just saying if you have footage that doesn't reflect the game, don't use and you won't called on it, especially if your game already looks this good at this stage. I mean the game is releasing next month, no need to have E3 2013 footage anymore.

It's not just Ubisoft too, CDPR did it with the Witcher 3 late into their marketing campaign and ended up like fools trying to dance around questions when gamers called them on it.

Oh, the gold edition. That's 75€ but why would you buy it?

For the season pass? It's included in the gold edition.

Klyka

Banned
3 dlc's and gated content without gold.

http://www.craveonline.ca/entertain...-monthly-events-available-season-pass-holders

Like i said, its a fun game, but its one of those games that require to much investment. If it was a better game and did something literally no other game was doing, id consider the investment but in my opinion its not so im passing.

But buying the season pass before content for it is even released is....just not a good idea.
I'll just pick up the season pass for cheap once the DLC is actually out and I see it's worth it.

Or well,if i even still play the game by then.

I'm not gonna spend money on content that I don't know if I'll even want it XD That's so silly.

cripterion

But buying the season pass before content for it is even released is....just not a good idea.
I'll just pick up the season pass for cheap once the DLC is actually out and I see it's worth it.

I'm not gonna spend money on content that I don't know if I'll even want it XD That's so silly.

I agree, the description of the season pass doesn't sound too hot either, guess we will have to see.

grendelrt

I bought gold for the season pass now because I can get 20% off that way using gc plus 10 dollar gift card. Made the game plus season pass 70 bucks, 65 after I used a rewards certificate. Doubt I will see the season pass discounted that much any time soon.

Akronis

Jesus Christ, every thread related to The Division HAS to devolve into petty bullshit about downgrades.

Take it somewhere else. Hope the lot of you get banned.

First post gif-bait desperation is getting ridiculous on here.

dude wasn't his post funny as fuck? huh? wasn't it? dat truthbomb bro! dat troof! perfect first post, like always, gaf! boy i hope someday i get to dictate the flow of an entire conversation with a single first post just like that guy, i mean wowee, he deserves nothing but our eternal respect for such a genius first post. he could have gone for the low hanging fruit and made himself look like an asshole... but he didn't! gaf is made better every day by people like him.

Top Bottom