• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft FY2013 result and briefing (FC3 6m, AC3 12.5m, Nextgen/future plans)

yes. this slide is so refreshing to me. so refreshing! enough with the doom and gloom and the phone games crap! enough with the "gfx are bad" downplaying! Enough!

captureooozzk89.png

Better graphics. More power. Core gamers love it. So awesome! Positivity!

Pooya

Casual gaming will grow again:

-due to Wii U starting to take off faster at some point
- it can be strong on other platforms to

/gonna get proper quotes later.

Quentyn

There were a lot of details in that call. Will definitely have to listen it again.

Anyone hear them talk about Desilets? Polygon has a story up saying that they canned 1666. I must have completely missed them saying that.

AOC83

Banned
So no ZombiU numbers?

I think we know from the NPD threads that it didn´t break 200k in the US. Barely charted anywhere in Europe and the Japan sales were nothing to write home about.

I´d guess we are looking at something around 300k.

Pooya

There were a lot of details in that call. Will definitely have to listen it again.

Anyone hear them talk about Desilets? Polygon has a story up saying that they canned 1666. I must have completely missed them saying that.

yeah, I didn't catch that part in QA, and the other bit talking about the new IP before QA.
that confirms the rumor, might want to make it a thread.

B.O.O.M

I think we know from the NPD threads that it didn´t break 200k in the US. Barely charted anywhere in Europe and the Japan sales were nothing to write home about.

I´d guess we are looking at something around 300k.

Probably embarrassing.

I just find it odd that they won't mention it since I read they are looking at a sequel now. And even Ubi is leaving out wiiu in the next gen comments it seems....and this is one of the biggest supporters of the system

Elixist

yes. this slide is so refreshing to me. so refreshing! enough with the doom and gloom and the phone games crap! enough with the "gfx are bad" downplaying! Enough!

captureooozzk89.png

Better graphics. More power. Core gamers love it. So awesome! Positivity!

Agreed. *PLACE FIST HERE BRO*

t0kLc0c.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Casual gaming will grow again:

-due to Wii U starting to take off faster at some point
- it can be strong on other platforms to

/gonna get proper quotes later.

If you feel up to it, when you have the time, we could probably use one more thread about their viewpoints on next-gen growth and core versus casual marketshare with this and this on top of the quotes, since this is a bit different than their previous outlook.

Pooya

If you feel up to it, when you have the time, we could probably use one more thread about their viewpoints on next-gen growth and core versus casual marketshare with this and this on top of the quotes, since this is a bit different than their previous outlook.

I'll complete it in a bit;

this bit was about future of Just Dance/casual

future of Just Dance/casual gaming now that Wii is end of life:

Yves- What we've done is we've lowered our expectation for Just Dance for this FY, due to the fact that we will have less (?) Wii for consumers, we expect the casual business will continue to grow with first, the growth of the Wii U platform that at one point will take off faster and we think that the next generation of consoles will bring possibilities that will give casual gamers good chance to have good experience on them, so you will have more players in the next generation taking care of the casual player, with Nintendo also with Microsoft and Sony.

Pooya

welp, looks like their player died and it's back to "try later" again.

there wasn't much about those slides, they basically read the first one, same goes for the one with ps4 logo and watch_dogs pic, the transcript is right there, nothing more. they didn't really talk about last slide iirc, the one with 'starving'. and I think the QA part, important bits are done already (Patrice, Just Dance).

There was another section about increasing revenue per user, talking about more opportunities with DLC and extra content post release.

The other one was about Uplay, they expect the revenue to increase 2x 3x, and talking about integration and bringing games tailored to the users, that part was interesting.

Pooya

Q/A:

Digitally distrusted games on PS3/360; 2-4 percent range.
Closer to 50% on PC.

----------------------------------------------

nextgen dev cost
Yves - "On dev cost, similar cost [for titles in this FY], but we expect this cost will increase, we will have more investment to create game that will happen then"

future of Just Dance/casual gaming now that Wii is end of life:

Yves- "What we've done is we've lowered our expectation for Just Dance for this FY, due to the fact that we will have less (?) Wii for consumers, we expect the casual business will continue to grow with first, the growth of the Wii U platform that at one point will take off faster and we think that the next generation of consoles will bring possibilities that will give casual gamers good chance to have good experience on them, so you will have more players in the next generation taking care of the casual player, with Nintendo also with Microsoft and Sony. "

Alain- "from 8.5m of JD4, 1m was just on xbox, it shows it can be a game than can sell not only on Wii but on other platforms."

Next year's guidance
They say their targets are set more reasonably and more prudent this year than last year, this part about Watch_Dogs and new IP is the only interesting bit, the new IP is apparently big in R&D cost:

Alain: "Watch_Dogs can do probably as well or probably even better than AC1, in the target we've given we've taken quantity that are below AC1. So that's the point"

"In the target we gave we're including 4 major games, so there are additional cost, because one of the 5 games that we're still trying to release, we think we can release but not including that, one more game in our R&D cost which is, you can expect it's a big game and therefor we should have important R&D cost."

<-then he clarifies that this is about the new IP not the other one.

uplay features for Gen4 versus Gen3:

Yves- "What I can say, because I can't say much now, first it will be very well integrated and accessible, easily by the gamer and thanks to that we will have a lot more possibilities for the gamers to give better service and better help service in the games, as well as better understanding of what he likes and we can improve the experience for, our goal for using uplay is really to give service to each customer differently, so instead of creating one game for everyone, we're going to do one game for each person so that's the goal medium term, which is to get enough information on the needs of our customer and be able to adapting the games to one they want to have and need to have"

e-commerce expectations

Yves- "we started to distribute our competitors' products and this has been able to increase the volume of sales we achieved."
"now we're pushing uplay shop a lot so that we can generate more revenue, so we expect to at least double or triple our sales in uplay shop next year"

there was another bit about the competitive fall of this year with GTA/Battlefield/CoD etc.

They think large number of quality titles bring back more people to play and can increase the interest and sales.

This was also one reason why they set their target lower this year.

Saty

Their franchise calculation are borked.

Slide: AC franchise at 18M.
AC3 shipped 12.5M. Brotherhood at some point shipped 6.5M = 19M - more than what the slide says for the entire franchise and without counting all the other entries.

What gives?

Just explosive growth from AC Revelation and FC2, damn. I just bought both sequels last month, glad to see FC3 doing well, it's really good.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Did anyone else pick up on the negative 1% revenue for Wii U in Ubisoft's results? Just wondering if I'm the only one who saw that.

That works out to roughly &#8364;1.0-2.0mm in returns, if that's what they mean by the negative value. At current exchange rates, that appears to be US$1.29-2.58mm dollars.

Not sure how that translates into units, but it's at least 30,000 - 40,000 units of software, assuming US$40 wholesale per retail unit.

I'm not really sure what I think that means. Hopefully someone else has some insight.

Source: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsite_common/en-US/images/Ubisoft FY13 earnings Englishtcm9996982.pdf
Page 7

Edit: Ah, I see that Into mentioned it.

Why is the PS3 several procent higher than 360? Ubisoft has made no exclusives for PS3 as far as i can recall and the games are evenly spread, does anyone know? Or are software sales generally higher on PS3 now and the last year than on 360?
Maybe the ratio of sales in Q4 in continental Europe swung the pendulum?

I'm more confused about the -1% of sales revenue the Wii U brought in? Are these returns? Retailer compensation?

EDIT: also, does anyone have past figures for Just Dance, just to see its growth and/or decline?

jvm

Gamasutra.
FWIW, the last time I remember seeing Ubisoft with a negative value for one of the platforms wa the GameCube during the quarter ending 30 June 2006.

FWIW, the last time I remember seeing Ubisoft with a negative value for one of the platforms wa the GameCube during the quarter ending 30 June 2006.
Had a look, and yeah GCN was -2% that quarter. But they don't seem to provide any context in that respective press release either.

The sales percentage for the prior quarter for GCN was 0%, and the one prior 5%. Perhaps they overshipped units in Q3 05/06 and then subsequently had returns in the next two quarters for the GCN and a similar thing is occurring for Wii U.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Had a look, and yeah GCN was -2% that quarter. But they don't seem to provide any context in that respective press release either.

The sales percentage for the prior quarter for GCN was 0%, and the one prior 5%. Perhaps they overshipped units in Q3 05/06 and then subsequently had returns in the next two quarters for the GCN and a similar thing is occurring for Wii U.
For a platform truly at the end of its life, that makes sense. Do they think they won't sell games on the Wii U and so took them back at this point?

For a platform truly at the end of its life, that makes sense. Do they think they won't sell games on the Wii U and so took them back at this point?
Hmm, not sure.

What's the current going rate for Ubisoft's Wii U software at retail?

Is it possible that rather than taking returns, Ubisoft is providing retailer credit for discounting to move units.

Can it be something like:
Any sales generated from additional shipments to some retailers in Q4 - cost of providing other retailers credit to move units from Q3 = negative value for Q4

Miles X

Hmm, not sure.

What's the current going rate for Ubisoft's Wii U software at retail?

Is it possible that rather than taking returns, Ubisoft is providing retailer credit for discounting to move units.

Can it be something like:
Any sales generated from additional shipments to some retailers in Q4 - cost of providing other retailers credit to move units from Q3 = negative value for Q4

I hope Nintendo plucked up some cash for ZombieU. One of the only third parties supporting the system and they get burnt.

"[Next-Gen] will lead to record sales for the industry."

Anyone else doubting that?

I see a dip in not just the mass market but also the core. Coupled with more (quicker) innovation from indies, whose titles are priced lower (lower revenue for publishers -- potentially larger profits for indies who don't go with a publisher).

Also, fewer but bigger blockbusters, tons of studios closing. Serious growing pains during the transition where consumers will likely question why they need to upgrade their Netflix boxes. As well as a huge dropout of marketshare due to the Wii U dud.

Next-Gen will likely be a bloodbath for large publishers and at least one first party, but perhaps a profitable time for indies and new publishers that can successfully take advantage of the completely changed market and social landscapes.

Top Bottom