• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft has a new Far Cry IP boss

Ubisoft’s veteran writer and narrative designer Drew Holmes has been put in charge of the Far Cry IP.
Holmes, who previously served as narrative lead for the franchise, shared the news on his LinkedIn page, revealing he’s been promoted to IP director for Far Cry.
“It’s been an exciting few months… I’m happy to share that I’m starting a new position as IP Director of Far Cry at Ubisoft! We have big things in store 🙂 Don’t hesitate to reach out if you want to be a part of the next evolution of this great brand!”
At Ubisoft, Holmes previously served as the story lead for 2019’s Far Cry: New Dawn and 2018’s Far Cry 5. Before that, he was the lead writer for Irrational Games’ BioShock Infinite, and worked on the first three Saints Row games at Volition.
According to press reports earlier this year, Ubisoft is currently developing Far Cry 7 and a standalone Far Cry multiplayer game.

It’s claimed that Far Cry 7 is being made with Ubisoft’s Snowdrop engine, rather than the Dunia engine used for recent series entries. The multiplayer game is currently an extraction-based shooter set in the Alaskan wilderness, it’s claimed.

Both titles are said to be tentatively scheduled for release in the fall/autumn of 2025.
Far Cry 6, which was released in 2021, included online campaign co-op but didn’t have a competitive multiplayer component.

Former Far Cry boss Dan Hay left Ubisoft in 2021 after a decade at its Montreal studio, where he was credited for overseeing the series during its most prosperous period. He’s now heading up Blizzard’s new survival game.

Cyberpunkd

Former Far Cry boss Dan Hay left Ubisoft in 2021 after a decade at its Montreal studio, where he was credited for overseeing the series during its most prosperous period. He’s now heading up Blizzard’s new survival game.
oh boy dunk GIF

Last edited:
“It’s claimed that Far Cry 7 is being made with Ubisoft’s Snowdrop engine, rather than the Dunia engine used for recent series entries”

I know. It’s called Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora.
Joking aside and while I can't confirm 100%, they do plan to use Snowdrop and Anvil (AC engine) in most of their current-gen games going forward. Don't ask me how I know this. :messenger_tongue:

Ywap

Great news! The Far Cry games are always a blast. Can't wait for some more mayhem in beautyland 🥰

Last edited:

Ywap

I´m doing some freeroaming in FC6 right now and it´s a fun game. It´s very casual but i think the game could have been really great the very first playthrough if it had been more difficult.

Regarding the Snowdrop rumors: FC6 looks amazing using DUNIA but maybe we can finally get rid of the save stuttering that have plagued the latest FC games.
L8sXBwU.jpg

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Has Ubisoft ever made a good game other than Beyond Good and Evil?
if that is how you feel about that whole company why are you here? why are you even talking about their games, it is fine if you don't like a certain type of games or a company but move on with your life and don't start an online war with anyone who happened to like AC Valhalla

elmos-acc

Hopefully they'll move on from towers climbing bullshit., but I doubt it.
Didn't they already remove towers from FC5? I haven't played the sixth one yet. I kind of enjoyed the towers in FC3 and FC4, but they got old when replaying.

I just hope that they remove the pseudo-rpg mechanics like health bars and levels. I would rather they take some lessons from games like PUBG, Tarkov, etc. More genuine customization, more intense gunfights, thicker jungles or more vast areas. Double down on immersion, make it not feel like another skin of FC3.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Didn't they already remove towers from FC5? I haven't played the sixth one yet. I kind of enjoyed the towers in FC3 and FC4, but they got old when replaying.

I just hope that they remove the pseudo-rpg mechanics like health bars and levels. I would rather they take some lessons from games like PUBG, Tarkov, etc. More genuine customization, more intense gunfights, thicker jungles or more vast areas. Double down on immersion, make it not feel like another skin of FC3.
FC5 did indeed take out towers, but ripped off The Division and Wildlands in how it played.

That's the problem with Ubisoft, they're afraid to let their games stand alone. Even this AC, they ripped off the marking from that Splinter Cell 360 game and are continuing to put the drone/eagle in their games despite how little sense it makes there. I think, for me, it's just impossible to play more than one Ubishit game every 3 or so years because they all just end up feeling the same.

Salz01

I like the fry cry games. Reminds me to finish FC6. I don’t like the animal companions in FC6. I liked how they handled companions in FC5 and the random shit they would say.

Peter303

FC6 was like a Farcry game create by people who've never played the previous games. Even the Vietnam DLC for FC5 was a much better game than 6.

Hudo

Can I get a FarCry 4 spin-off/sequel where I they flesh out the Pagan-Min ending into a full game? I would fucking love to side with him and fuck up The Golden Path, because everyone in there is an asshole.

CZY

Clearing out an outpost only for every enemy to respawn the next time you passed through ruined the game for me.
Objectives are generally miles apart and require traversing through many chokepoints and the use of multiple safehouses. The entire gameplay loop is about getting from point A to point B to point C to point D; you’re talking about something that happens when you backtrack before you even get to point B.

I can agree they respawn too quickly, but the point would be that you’re simply never backtracking enough for it to make any genuine difference — it should be several safe house visits and several in-game days before you ever see the same chokepoint twice. Making them respawn slower would have almost no actual impact on the gameplay loop.

Play on the hardest difficulty, turn the music off, and don’t savescum if you’re on PC (you can only save at safehouses). FC2 is one of the best games ever made.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Great guy, glad to see this happen for him. Didn't care much for 5 or 6 but these games are often a product an absurd amount of chefs in the kitchen. He's someone who will passionately fight for a more interesting vision.

This franchise needs to go on ice ASAP. Over saturated, FC6 was so bland and looked like they just copied everything from FC5 and added an island instead of full blown land.

Ywap

I think Far Cry is a unique series. What other game offers open world fps where you can go either stealth or full mayhem?

And they always go comedy/satire. Good or bad? Not sure but Joseph Seed is one of my favourite villains 🙌🤣

Last edited:

Ywap

Trying to level up Champagne and i honestly think this game is a bit underrated. Casual, chaotic fun in one of the best looking games out there 💪

McE0bPt.jpg
awBdPUe.jpg

Top Bottom