• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft opens campus in Casablanca, Morocco (PR)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
CASABLANCA HOME TO A NEW UBISOFT® CAMPUS

A Unique Training Platform for Video Games and Animated Films Comes to Morocco

SAN FRANCISCO - April 21, 2008 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers, announces the establishment of a new Ubisoft Campus in Casablanca, Morocco, in partnership with Sigma Technologies, a leading Moroccan audiovisual company. From programming to 3D animation and modelling, game and level design to project management, the Campus will offer all the necessary training for the principal professions in video game and animated film production when it opens its doors in October.

Present in Casablanca since 1998, Ubisoft announced plans to increase the production capacity of its Moroccan studio last year with the creation of 150 new positions by 2010. This expansion is made possible by a national government program in support of skilled jobs.

The Ubisoft Campus places Casablanca at the heart of video game and animated film training, promoting Morocco's academic assets while creating partnerships with institutions in France and Canada. Modelled after the successful Ubisoft Campus in Montreal, Ubisoft has entrusted the new Moroccan Campus to the Cégep de Matane, in association with long-standing educational partner the École Nationale du Jeu et des Médias Interactifs Numériques (ENJMIN - National School of Game and Interactive Digital Media) in Angoulême, France. The Casablanca Polytechnic Institute and Laval University in Quebec City, Canada are also associated with the initiative. The variety of training offered by its educational partners and the unique mix of technical and university instruction enable the Ubisoft Campus to offer a range of programs specifically designed for the video game and animated film industries. The Cégep de Matane, responsible for managing the project, is open to additional educational partnerships that could reinforce the training offered by the Ubisoft Campus.

"The establishment of such a Campus represents an important, motivating project for Morocco,” stated Cyril Vermeil, managing director of Ubisoft Casablanca. "The Ubisoft Campus intends to attract, train and retain the best video game and animated film creators throughout the country, for a high-growth industry where Moroccans have an important role to play. The Campus's establishment concretely demonstrates Ubisoft's commitment to training the talents of tomorrow, wherever they might be.”

For additional information, visit http://www.campusubisoft.com

Blablurn

2d8ids1.jpg

Zaangamer

Banned
Good to see Ubisoft putting back into the community, especially in such a out-of-place location. Would be interesting to see what an Arabian influence can bring to gaming (Drools at the thought of Prince of Persia designed by Arabian devs.)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You'll regret this Ubisoft, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon, and for the rest of your life.

That's fucking odd, casablanca did such a bad job on Two Thrones they had to send it back to montreal.

anyways, the campus in montreal is the best school for videogame development in montreal.

andycapps

QuickKick89 said:
Play it again, Ubisoft.

Here's looking at you, Ubisoft.

There, I just ruined all the possible jokes.

One more. Of all the gin joints in all the world, Ubisoft walks into mine.

Good to see Ubisoft take the initiative and train staff themselves instead of bitching at the few universities and colleges around the World who specialize in film/game programming and art.

This is pretty pioneering.

Yann said:
Isn't it the only one?

nope

Well Inter dec, Centre N.A.D etc. all have courses for artists(Level design, animation and modeling), but for something like Game design, it's the only one here in montreal.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I love Morocco, amazing country. Not a big fan of Casablanca itself (kind of seedy), though.

But hell, it has to be SOOOOO cheap to produce games there. I think when I was in Morocco my daily budget was $15-20 a day, and I slept and ate like a king.

Tntnnbltn

jstevenson said:
I love Morocco, amazing country. Not a big fan of Casablanca itself (kind of seedy), though.
Damn you, jstevenson. You made me realise Morocco is a country and now I feel stupid. :(

EDIT: CRAP. Transylvania isn't a state/city in the US either? MIND = BLOWN.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
You must remember this,
a game is just a game,
a port is just a port,
the really bad sales apply...
As time goes by...

Ghost said:
You'll regret this Ubisoft, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon, and for the rest of your life.
:lol God I love GAF. Any other video game forum and you get people asking "WTF is Casablanca?!".

Top Bottom