• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft removing access from older games DLC on PC, Decommissioning of online services September 2022

brian0057

Banned
I'm being realistic, or do you seriously think physical media will save your gaems from being taken away from you?
Short of the developer or publisher coming to my house and breaking my kneecaps if I don't surrender my copies to them, they can't do anything about it.
Physical > Digital.
And no. Those "physical" releases that amount to a Steam code on a box don't count.

Guilty_AI

Short of the developer or publisher coming to my house and breaking my kneecaps if I don't surrender my copies to them, they can't do anything about it.
Physical > Digital.
And no. Those "physical" releases that amount to a Steam code on a box don't count.
They don't need to go through that much trouble, nor reduce physical releases to serial codes.

A login screen is all it takes. Sometimes not even that, just a few lines of code in your physical disk saying the game must connect to the servers before it can start.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
S
Any self respecting PC gamer should avoid Ubisoft games.

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

Almost, Anno games are pretty fucking awesome though.

TLZ

Banned
They don't need to go through that much trouble, nor reduce physical releases to serial codes.

A login screen is all it takes. Sometimes not even that, just a few lines of code in your physical disk saying the game must connect to the servers before it can start.
That's with games that require online gaming. Single player games don't have that. I honestly don't know what you're trying hard to argue. And what you're saying applies to digital btw, that's why it's a problem.

I can play all my PS3 and PS4 games offline no problem. No one's taking that away from me. If that was digital though? They might revoke the licences and pulled from the server completely. No downloads, no refunds. That's a big problem for me.

Guilty_AI

That's with games that require online gaming. Single player games don't have that. I honestly don't know what you're trying hard to argue. And what you're saying applies to digital btw, that's why it's a problem.

I can play all my PS3 and PS4 games offline no problem. No one's taking that away from me. If that was digital though? They might revoke the licences and pulled from the server completely. No downloads, no refunds. That's a big problem for me.
I'm arguing that it doesn't matter whether the game is digital or physical. What matters is the DRM implementation for each game.

I can play my GOG collection offline without any login no problem too, even a lot of my steam collection. But you can't play NFS 2015, singleplayer or not, on your ps4 offline even if you have a physical copy of the game.
The medium isn't whats important, its the form of DRM in place, and Disks aren't safe from being tethered to servers.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Is it worth buying the Deluxe/Gold editions of AC Brotherhood + Revelations for £1 more? They're currently on sale (£3.80 vs £4.80) but I'm not going to play them right away. They're the only two AC games I'm missing in my collection. I think it would bug me just buying the standard editions though.

Last edited:
This is"funny" because I had this discussion with someone from their support team when I bought far cry 3 on Steam (that was also the last time I bought a game that forced me into a second store/DRM system).

So nothing that adds a second layer to the store where I get games on PC (I get the free games on Epic and got some GOG games as well).

Thankfully I don't play EA games.

At first I was annoyed. But then I remembered how horrible ubisoft game support is already on PC. So basically, I already can't play their games or DLCs. I tried Syndicate and Origins. They both both kept crashing on my AMD video card.

Ended up buying an XSX and a 20 foot hdmi cable so I could play on my computer monitor. Screw Ubisoft and their horrible PC support.

Top Bottom