• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft shares rise amid takeover from Google, Amazon and Sony??

Castef

Banned
They are worth more than 10 bln USD.

I don't know... considering the launch of Luna i'd really see only Amazon going for them.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ubisoft usally the 1st pub on board for anything new so amazon channel doesn’t mean much. That said amazon prob has the bank to buy them.

Used to love the assassin creed games until they changed the combat.

oldergamer

Whereas Msft have done a bang up job with their studios in the past 🙄

Amazon have barely made any effort so far in gaming. Luna changes that, and while I don’t think a major buy out is likely, it’s healthier for Ubisoft to go to a different company.
Different ms this time. No Steve ballmer to make bad decisions and the now have a hands off approach. U can keep comparing them to the past, but u don't do the same for sony. The too have lots of studio closures.

Kokoloko85

I dont care about there games tbh. Lets hope Amazon buys it so everyone can cry
Sony players after reading Sony might take over Ubisoft:
4gfs91.jpg

Sounds alot like MS fans with Bethesda....

Quotes taken from this thread Before the acquisition lol: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/whic...is-gen-and-which-ones-fell-off.1562243/page-3

fermcr said:
Negative: Bethesda

TheExorzist said:
Bethesda crashed so hard it's unbelievable.

BaneIsPain said:
I don’t think these studios will fall but I’m worried about their direction. (Bethesda)

LordCBH said:
Bethesda fell off so goddamn hard after making stuff I adored the previous two gens.

Sander Cohen said:
Bethesda embarrassed themselves with 2 Fallouts this gen.

MrS said:
Bethesda took a nose dive

AmuroChan said:
Fall:
Bethesda (Fallout 4, Fallout '76)

CitizenX said:
Move along nothing to see here- Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice well, fck off.
BGS- Never was really a fan except FO 3 was so fresh and since then, they are nothing but a mod studio

Camreezie said:
Fall:
Bethesda

GonSama said:
Fall:
Bethesda

Tschumi said:
Bethesda is the best call. Those guys were just so great, I'll never get over Morrowind and its impact on my gaming life... What on earth has happened to them?

Panama Joe said:
Who blew it? No studio fell harder IMO than Bethesda Softworks.

Fbh said:
Went down:
-Bethesda

Clarissa said:
Stock dropped
Bethesda

BusierDonkey said:
Bethesda - Bethesda's best work is way behind them.

VFXVeteran said:
Bethesda - stagnant

Sejan said:
I don’t know if Bethesda, BioWare, or Blizzard can recover with anything less than more than one stellar release. All three went from developers that could generally be assumed to release something good, to developers that I hardly trust to accomplish anything good until proven otherwise.

Griffon said:
Fall:
-Bethesda

The Mad Draklor said:
Went Down
Bethesda

Torrent of Pork said:
Bethesda really shit the bed this gen.

EldritchAbomination said:
Fall:
Bethesda

D3SCHA1N said:
Sheesh, for how high Bethesda was at the end of last gen with Skyrim being so well received, it's crazy how far they fell from grace.

KAL2006 said:
Bethesda - Fell off hard with Fallout 4, Fallout 76 and no Elder Scrolls sequel

Last edited:
Ubi can't really get much worse.

Ubisoft has their issues, but the last thing I want to see is them being confined to a streaming only service on a unproven platform. Yea, things can get worst for them. Not to mention, does any of these streaming services actually ever succeed? That’s a huge risk for Ubisoft even if they are allowed to create PC/Steam games. They will probably be missing out on PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo income with an unknown user base.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Ubisoft buyout would be probably good cashcow, however their game has to be expensive as fuck, so I am not sure how profitable would that be and their IPs are trash.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't make sense for Amazon to already buy such a huge studio. Unless they are 100% sure game streaming will become a thing

Kdad

Disagree. With even a small 5% investment from Tencent, we've seen them do some really bad shit...that censoring fiasco with R6 Siege, removing the #standwithHK WatchDogs 3 poster at Beijing's request...and that's just 5%, god knows how bad it'll be if it ever creeps up. Any move away from Chinese money is a good direction in my books.
Although Tencent is shit and you should avoid them, Ubisoft would have done the exact same to be in the Chinese market ... Same as Hollywood injecting really awkward Chinese story arcs into thier movies to get them in China.

Castef

Banned
They are worth more than 10 bln USD.

I don't know... considering the launch of Luna i'd really see only Amazon going for them.

Aidah

I dont care about there games tbh. Lets hope Amazon buys it so everyone can com

Quotes taken from this thread Before the acquisition lol: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/whic...is-gen-and-which-ones-fell-off.1562243/page-3

fermcr said:

TheExorzist said:

BaneIsPain said:
I don’t think these studios will fall but I’m worried about their direction. (Bethesda)

LordCBH said:
Bethesda fell off so goddamn hard after making stuff I adored the previous two gens.

Sander Cohen said:

MrS said:

AmuroChan said:
Fall:

CitizenX said:
Move along nothing to see here- Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice well, fck off.
BGS- Never was really a fan except FO 3 was so fresh and since then, they are nothing but a mod studio

Camreezie said:
Fall:
Bethesda

GonSama said:
Fall:
Bethesda

Tschumi said:
Bethesda is the best call. Those guys were just so great, I'll never get over Morrowind and its impact on my gaming life... What on earth has happened to them?

Panama Joe said:

Fbh said:
Went down:
-Bethesda

Clarissa said:
Stock dropped
Bethesda

BusierDonkey said:

VFXVeteran said:
Bethesda - stagnant

Sejan said:
I don’t know if Bethesda, BioWare, or Blizzard can recover with anything less than more than one stellar release. All three went from developers that could generally be assumed to release something good, to developers that I hardly trust to accomplish anything good until proven otherwise.

Griffon said:
Fall:
-Bethesda

The Mad Draklor said:
Went Down
Bethesda

Torrent of Pork said:

Fall:
Bethesda

D3SCHA1N said:
Sheesh, for how high Bethesda was at the end of last gen with Skyrim being so well received, it's crazy how far they fell from grace.

KAL2006 said:
Remember when exclusives didn't matter?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Although Tencent is shit and you should avoid them, Ubisoft would have done the exact same to be in the Chinese market ... Same as Hollywood injecting really awkward Chinese story arcs into thier movies to get them in China.

But they wouldn't have access to the Chinese market without Tencent. By law they have to partner with a local company to even have the option.

Kdad

But they wouldn't have access to the Chinese market without Tencent. By law they have to partner with a local company to even have the option.
Right...but it could be any Chinese company and the result would be the same....it isn't something unique to Tencent since it's the government that is being placated

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

fermcr said:

TheExorzist said:

BaneIsPain said:

LordCBH said:

Sander Cohen said:

MrS said:

AmuroChan said:
Fall:

CitizenX said:

Camreezie said:
Fall:
Bethesda

GonSama said:
Fall:
Bethesda

Tschumi said:

Panama Joe said:

Fbh said:
Went down:
-Bethesda

Clarissa said:
Stock dropped
Bethesda

BusierDonkey said:

VFXVeteran said:
Bethesda - stagnant

Sejan said:

Griffon said:
Fall:
-Bethesda

The Mad Draklor said:
Went Down
Bethesda

Torrent of Pork said:

Fall:
Bethesda

D3SCHA1N said:

KAL2006 said:

Question is, did these people change their mind after Microsoft acquired them? That's the real question.

Is there any credibility to the Sony Ubisoft rumors or is it a 4chan thing?
The way I see it, these acquisitions are a streaming service related affair. Microsoft is also preparing for the long run, not just the console war (that when consoles inevitably go the way of the dodo).

Sony doesn't have the infrastructure to run a similar service. The big server guys are Google, Ms and Amazon.

Hell, as far as I know, PS Now even runs on the Azure network (Ms).

But hey, could be anything.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The way I see it, these acquisitions are a streaming service related affair. Microsoft is also preparing for the long run, not just the console war (that when consoles inevitably go the way of the dodo).

Sony doesn't have the infrastructure to run a similar service. The big server guys are Google, Ms and Amazon.

Hell, as far as I know, PS Now even runs on the Azure network (Ms).

But hey, could be anything.

Wait, so Sony does or doesn't have the infrastructure to compete in the streaming future?

Netflix runs on Amazon servers.

Portugeezer

fermcr said:

TheExorzist said:

BaneIsPain said:

LordCBH said:

Sander Cohen said:

MrS said:

AmuroChan said:
Fall:

CitizenX said:

Camreezie said:
Fall:
Bethesda

GonSama said:
Fall:
Bethesda

Tschumi said:

Panama Joe said:

Fbh said:
Went down:
-Bethesda

Clarissa said:
Stock dropped
Bethesda

BusierDonkey said:

VFXVeteran said:
Bethesda - stagnant

Sejan said:

Griffon said:
Fall:
-Bethesda

The Mad Draklor said:
Went Down
Bethesda

Torrent of Pork said:

Fall:
Bethesda

D3SCHA1N said:

KAL2006 said:
This level of research into fanboyism :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That was my feeling in the immediate aftermath of the Zenimax deal and on top of the acquisitions MS had previously made - it would trigger a period of consolidation.

That’s usually the way it goes when a single player makes big inroads into a market - competitors form up on the other side for fear of getting squeezed out.

As it stands you’ve got MS now taking a more direct position opposite Sony, Acti, EA, Ubi, Epic, Sega, Nintendo and even Amazon and Google - that’s the position MS have put themselves in - fighting for market share on multiple fronts and doubling down on an industry they’ve failed to breakthrough in previously. Theres a lot of risk to MS in this and there’s still the potential for major moves to be made to counter their efforts.

I think MS is making a mistake - I don’t mean for Xbox, I mean for MS as a whole, by putting more cash into game studios and properties - it’s not their core business, the market isn’t high profit margin and they haven’t been successful in the industry to date. It put me off buying MS shares last week when I was looking to pull the trigger, and they had dipped another percent or so on the Zenimax deal announcement.

MS should be done with video game acquisitions - they need to show income from these moves and quickly. I don’t think they’ll be able to hide Xbox division financials going forward - Zenimax is about 15% of MS on hand cash that could’ve been spent reducing debt or increasing dividends. They need gamepass and these studio acquisitions to start showing a profit going forward for these moves to make sense to investors

For the rest, let’s see. I don’t think Sony would look at Ubi but Amazon might to make a splash for their new platform.

Curious if Apple might try to increase their position in some way.

Epic are in an interesting position - will their work with Sony go further? And what about Steam? Where do they go in this market place?

There’s quite a lot of questions to ask if companies decide to jump on the game rentals bandwagon. To be honest I think any company seriously spending money on this is going the wrong way. But the hype train can lead people to irrational decisions.
This post is hilarious.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Dude, don't peddle that shit here.

What shit? Ubisoft is a 10billion dollar public company meaning a buyout would mean even higher usually around 20% premium. No competent company spends 1/3 of their cash on hand after finally getting cash on hand after 7 good years.

The only players for an Ubisoft taker over are Amazon, Google, Microsoft or Apple.

MS should be done with video game acquisitions - they need to show income from these moves and quickly. I don’t think they’ll be able to hide Xbox division financials going forward - Zenimax is about 15% of MS on hand cash that could’ve been spent reducing debt or increasing dividends.

Not even close to 15% please try again, interest is the cheapest its ever been in history. Debt while making investments and growing with cash on hand is the best business for any business right now. They've exploited a loop hole by purchasing a company with offshore cash they wish not to be taxed on. They now OWN that asset and the cash no longer sits offshore and wasn't taxed coming back into the U.S.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Different ms this time. No Steve ballmer to make bad decisions and the now have a hands off approach. U can keep comparing them to the past, but u don't do the same for sony. The too have lots of studio closures.

Fair point. Ballmer was fucking terrible.

The key point is somebody should buy Ubisoft. Anyone.

wolffy71

Banned
Exactly this. If either Amazon or Google buy Ubi, streaming only will not be sustainable so they’d either have to go multiplat or enter the hardware market.

I don’t think there’s room for more than three players in the hardware market, so if it’s streaming only, we need to vote with our wallets. Fuck that shit. Streaming should be an option, not the only way to play.
If Amazon buys ubisoft, they wont be buying it with anyone on this forum in mind. Its for customers that are budget conscious or dont have a console/ gaming pc yet. Ubisoft would just be to build a library. Amazon knows they are gonna need a game collection. How else can they get one?

Theres no real game straming company. At one time there was no video sharing/aggregating company. Then youtube came along. At one time there was no video game video streaming company. Then twitch came along. As MS saw with mixer or any of the other YouTube competitors can tell you being first to market or mass market share means everything. Time is burning and pretty sure Amazon has some plan for content so they arent some small bit player as they want to be first. They could probably buy ubisoft with last quarters profit. Thats how big Amazon is here.

This means exactly that Amazon won't buy Ubisoft. Actually Amazon's approach is kinda smart. I give them that.

Personally aside ZeniMax other publishers are too expensive for anybody to buy. Amazon's approach with deals might be better - like EA Play is in GamePass, add UPlay etc. If XCloud becomes more popular in Japan and other countries I expect Sega, SE, Capcom on board as it would be similar to Switch....

Mobile Gaming is enormous and growing and XClould can become a natural way to enter this market without developing for it. Also Amazon might make some deals with other publishers to have different channels like SE channel, EA channel etc. And it would be also quite nice.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Personally i believe Sony no need to made big acquisition. They already has solid, proven and successfull first party studio line up compared to their competitor counterpart. Their games sales and award speak for it. Even if they did, they probably targetting at 'smaller scale' that could strengthen their exclusives like previous Insomniac acquisition. What they need now is more variation in genre. But who know right? MS on other hand is in completely different situation. The situation actually not really favour them. They desperately need 'exclusives' to cover the gap for their gamepass since their first party studio seems not bear any fruit yet. Nothing solid shown yet earlier before Zenimax acquistion that atleast could 'shaken' Sony first party studio at the moment. Even the live presentation full of cgi trailer, lack of gameplay video. Even the their flagship Halo Infinite that could be their own 'BOTW' at launch turn into a meme and wont out probably atleast for another year. There rumors of Obsidian's Avowed, the one that could be their own 'Skyrim' still hiring for critical position indicate that the game still far off. So for the momment they in dire need of proven successfull studio and ip. The acquisition is quick solution that fix one of their main problem that plague them for years in short time. Now, in blink of eye, MS is in completely different situation, suddenly become 'strong' and full of confident facing next gen. I imagine it wont be same, if they didnt made the purchase. Well that bold decision supposed to be wont failed them but still depend on how they steer their big ship now.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Ubisoft has been fighting desperately to stay independent. They won't sell & no one's interested in a hostile takeover.

I guess a possible takeover and the best destination for ubisoft depends on where the future for ubisoft lies. Is it more towards singleplayer focused AAA Games (even if part of a franchise, but not in a yearly cycle anymore) then obvioiusly Sony would be the prime destination. Or ist it more leaning towards GAAS, eSports types of thing? Then MS is the better fit. Or is it a full commitment towards the (atm) obviously seeming future of streaming, then Luna may be the first option. And with their history of takeovers or better fighting against them the possibility of staying an independent multiplatform developer who dips into everything and changes "alliences" on a game to game basis (here its sony, there its nintendo -although a bit different than the other two, there its ms).

Maybe it may be smarter buying singular IP from them instead of the whole company, they have intriguing Franchises, some over- some underused...

vivftp

Sony quite literally cant afford Ubisoft or anyone of that caliber so i dont know why people keep expecting them to answer MS’s bethesda purchase

Sony has about 3x the market cap of Ubisoft in cash on hand, and credit is dirt cheap so that gives them even more money to play with. It's getting tiresome to see people spreading this nonsense.

Now on the subject of whether Sony needs to "answer MS's Bethesda purchase", that's a whole other topic. We know Sony's been shopping around for a while now, they were looking into acquiring Remedy last year according to multiple insiders and were looking to pick up Leyou Games a couple months ago before Tencent cockblocked them. Sony's been looking to expand so we'll likely see some movement on their part soon. It's anyones guess what that will entail though, but pretending they don't have the means of acquiring pubs like Capcom, Square Enix or Ubisoft is blatantly false. It's a matter of whether they have interest in pursuing such an acquisition and how their bid fares against any competitors.

At the very least I'm expecting Sony to pick up Bluepoint and Housemarque in the near future. Beyond that, who knows.

DJTHEGREY

Would be huge if Ubisoft was acquired by Microsoft or Sony. Sony really doesn't need to however would be a great response to Microsoft getting Zenimax. If Microsoft acquired Ubisoft would definitely strengthen and even the odds with Sony. Amazon.... I just think it would be bad for Ubisoft to be stuck under Amazon. I doubt Ubisoft is for sale anyway.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Ubisoft isn't for sale. On top of that there's almost no reason to buy them if you're ms/sony.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

If Amazon buys ubisoft, they wont be buying it with anyone on this forum in mind. Its for customers that are budget conscious or dont have a console/ gaming pc yet. Ubisoft would just be to build a library. Amazon knows they are gonna need a game collection. How else can they get one?

Theres no real game straming company. At one time there was no video sharing/aggregating company. Then youtube came along. At one time there was no video game video streaming company. Then twitch came along. As MS saw with mixer or any of the other YouTube competitors can tell you being first to market or mass market share means everything. Time is burning and pretty sure Amazon has some plan for content so they arent some small bit player as they want to be first. They could probably buy ubisoft with last quarters profit. Thats how big Amazon is here.

Last month’s.

Amazon profit for 2019 was around 120 billion. Ubisoft worth 10.

Edit: however, it should be understood that Amazon do not like to buy publishers. They have no interest in lining the pockets of executives.

Instead, they will do all they can to steal developers away by offering them more money, better working conditions and making it easier for them to get their games to players.

Amazon getting into gaming isn't the disaster a lot of people think it is. If anything it'll make to better for both creatives and consumers. Just go look at the book market for proof.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Question is, did these people change their mind after Microsoft acquired them? That's the real question.

Well I doubt they will all be Nintendo and Playstation fanboys..

Basically your image is more proven for Bethesda at the moment than Playstations fans and Assassins creed....

FunkMiller

It goes to show that when people say Amazon can't afford to buy ubisoft and then not get an immediate payoff, they dont know what they're talking about.

Well, no. Amazon have more money to throw around than anyone else. But see my above comment for why they won't buy Ubisoft. Not the Amazon way of doing things.

Garani

Epic are in an interesting position - will their work with Sony go further? And what about Steam? Where do they go in this market place?

Sony, at the moment, has some 1.4% shares of Epic. Not a whole lot, and it's more like a place holder than anything.

I don't get it why steam is always being brought in the picture: they just are a "virtual library" nowadays. Actually I am very very very afraid for the games that I have registered on Steam: if they go bellyup I loose all my games library.

And by the way, this is the REAL reason why I will be getting a standard PS5: I want my games on a disk as much as possible.

wipeout364

I would be concerned with them getting acquired as it would certainly create a lot of consolidation in the industry. They would be a much better acquisition than EA as they own all of their IP.

I think they would be a poor acquisition for Sony even if they have the money, most of the games Ubisoft puts out are very similar to Sony in house games. Sony needs to diversify their line not have more of these open world single player games. They would get siege but I’m not sure that’s enough. What else would be a big addition to their lineup that would be different from Sony’s games the last few years.

Top Bottom