• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch_Dogs will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on XB1, both at 30fps

I'm sure if you turn AA to x2, probably turn down the AO and run some setting like shadows at high rather than max it'll hit 1080p60. Whatever settings it may need it'll still look and play better than a console.

Only time will tell I suppose but my 780 wouldn't hold up at 60 maxed in ACIV and what with this being a new engine and given Ubi's track record I highly doubt a 760 will manage anything higher than mid settings across the board to be stable at 1080.

It's all guessing either way at the moment but I wouldn't state opinions as facts unless you're in the know. In which case feel free to enlighten me.

I thought the 1080p60 must be bullshit, since why would you downgrade the graphics but keep 60fps, which provides a minor benefit at a huge cost.

Living breathing city is marketing spin. It doesn't mean anything more than "we've got a bigger onscreen NPC count than GTA V and I:SS".

Resolution doesn't really bother me since it's just one aspect of image quality. If it's low res with poor lighting, low texture details and crap physics - then I'll be disappointed.
If they've lowered resolution so they can keep some really good lighting effects and high-quality textures, then it's probably the right call. There's no point in playing at 1080p if your textures look like that nathan_drake_wierd_face.jpg.

Since I spend my job pricing up different specifications that have far fewer options that Watch Dogs, I'll be waiting for the post-release amazon price-drop edition unless Ubi want to pay me to understand their bullshit product spec matrix.
When some content is only given to a small subset of the versions, you can be 100% sure that it's some shitty content that's being thrown in to attract gullible idiots.

The positive spin is that when they delayed the game to improve the game play, they must have actually been telling the truth and doing just that, since its clear from this news that they obviously weren't optimizing performance.

So we can expect something better than typical open world game play with the usual stealth bits and a simple hacking mechanic that doesn't amount to much.

...maybe. Gonna wait and see with this one.

Vintage

wow lol at that "experience Watch Dogs in a way that only PS4 can provide, 60 fps in 1080p"

Was expecting 1080/30 fps on PS4. Now if the game's not even locked at 30, the reviews might be harsh.

Unfortunately, most pc gamers fall into the trap of purchasing games that they will never play because of sales, etc.

I laugh everytime I hear this argument.

Image Quality is something thats very important to me and resolution is the most important factor for image quality.
900p are bad. Everything thats not 1:1 pixel mapped is bad.

tuna_love

Banned
Well i definitely see where you're coming from and your point has been noted. I will avoid doing so in the future. I generally abstain from making such comments except i deem it necessary and in this case, it was necessary. If i worked on this game, i would be embarrassed. One should be embarrassed especially if they feel that it is not an accurate representation of their ability. My issues is that they seem to be proud of their accomplishment and this game is nothing to be proud about from a technical standpoint. What we have seen gameplay wise reeks of assassins creed and farcry. It is seriously lacking in the innovation department. It doesn't break any barriers and the plot sounds weak as well. It is not necessary for you to innovate to have a good game. You can just be the game that does everything well. Watch Dogs doesn't innovate and isn't the type of game that does everything well. The only thing it has accomplished is being recognized as a "game".
I really hope this gets better reviews than Infamous.

Durante

Only time will tell I suppose but my 780 wouldn't hold up at 60 maxed in ACIV and what with this being a new engine and given Ubi's track record I highly doubt a 760 will manage anything higher than mid settings across the board to be stable at 1080.
You massively misjudge the difference between maximum and lower settings. Don't worry, it's a common problem people have with Ubisoft games, seeing as they are one of the only multiplatform developers left with real "ultra" settings.

Image Quality is something thats very important to me and resolution is the most important factor for image quality.
900p are bad. Everything thats not 1:1 pixel mapped is bad.
Personally, I'm quite partial to 4:1 pixel mapping.

wow lol at that "experience Watch Dogs in a way that only PS4 can provide, 60 fps in 1080p"

Was expecting 1080/30 fps on PS4. Now if the game's not even locked at 30, the reviews might be harsh.

I laugh everytime I hear this argument.

PC owners i know dont play most of the games they buy in sales, It's more for the novelty of buying said game cheap. Or they'll play a game for 5mins then switch to another and same again.

suedester

Banned
Well i definitely see where you're coming from and your point has been noted. I will avoid doing so in the future. I generally abstain from making such comments except i deem it necessary and in this case, it was necessary. If i worked on this game, i would be embarrassed. One should be embarrassed especially if they feel that it is not an accurate representation of their ability. My issues is that they seem to be proud of their accomplishment and this game is nothing to be proud about from a technical standpoint. What we have seen gameplay wise reeks of assassins creed and farcry. It is seriously lacking in the innovation department. It doesn't break any barriers and the plot sounds weak as well. It is not necessary for you to innovate to have a good game. You can just be the game that does everything well. Watch Dogs doesn't innovate and isn't the type of game that does everything well. The only thing it has accomplished is being recognized as a "game".

I wish people would actually wait until they have played the game before judging gameplay and plot.

You massively misjudge the difference between maximum and lower settings. Don't worry, it's a common problem people have with Ubisoft games, seeing as they are one of the only multiplatform developers left with real "ultra" settings.

I only had to drop AA and Physx a bit to get ACIV running smoothly to be fair and it did look a fair bit better than my PS4 version.

Having said that I still don't think a 760 is going to have much joy running WD consistently with decent settings at 1080/60 but as I say I'm only guessing off of past experience.

Vintage

PC owners i know dont play most of the games they buy in sales, It's more for the novelty of buying said game cheap. Or they'll play a game for 5mins then switch to another and same again.

While this is sometimes true, this argument is ridiculous because it's idea is basically the same as saying "PS4 and XBoxOne should cost 200$ more, so people wouldn't be able to afford other hardware which they will rarely use".

Imo it's better to buy 5 games that you may play than buying 1 game and denying yourself from playing other 4.

LilJoka

It's all guessing either way at the moment but I wouldn't state opinions as facts unless you're in the know. In which case feel free to enlighten me.

None of this is fact of course, just an informed guess. But i didnt know AC ran so crap, so maybe im off the mark, thought Ubi would be better than that tbh.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Fair statement, but to be honest, I haven't heard about any console maker promoting 1080x60. I've always wondered who started this mess.

Sony's website started this mess:

ZdkIoQf.png

And the thread that came out of it.

So are we going to get an official definitive word on this?

It seems like there is a great deal of uncertainly and confusion on this issue.

Even among Ubisoft personnel.

Mr Moose

Will reviews and digital foundry results be out before the game? Would love to know so I have time to cancel my pre-order if it turns out to be crap.

None of this is fact of course, just an informed guess. But i didnt know AC ran so crap, so maybe im off the mark, thought Ubi would be better than that tbh.

I've been buying their PC games for several years now and the term I'd use is hit and miss. To be fair to them I wouldn't say they have had a disaster since Conviction (and even that is sorted now) but I somehow have a bad feeling over this one. Maybe (hopefully) I'm completely wrong.

I got the PS4 version pre-ordered for £37 because I really want a long open-world game for the system but this news has got me reconsidering if I should just get it on the PC.

I suspect Sony are ultra pissed off at this point - even more so than any consumers. First the last minute delay after all those pre-ordered bundles and now this. Microsoft chose a better partner in EA after all!

Kssio_Aug

I prefer playing on consoles just because it have a different feeling for me. I have tons of games on Steam but I rarely feel motivated playing them. I prefer buying and playing games on consoles gennerally, even when it would not run as good as my PC could do.

For some reason the only PC games that hold my attention are multiplayers in general, such as Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and Counter Strike.

I dont even care about PC upgrades anymore.

So are we going to get an official definitive word on this?

It seems like there is a great deal of uncertainly and confusion on this issue.

Even among Ubisoft personnel.

what? we have official word. direct from Ubisoft on their official website. that outweighs any german report saying that a Ubi rep supposedly said something to them.

reports based on what reps said about framerate and resolution are very often wrong, but because people want them to be true they snow ball. cf one website mentioning Mario Kart 8 is 1080p after playing it at a show. it's not, but people still keep popping up that believe it.

Sony's website started this mess:

ZdkIoQf.png

And the thread that came out of it.

Not to defend sony, but people, please understand one and for all that marketing =/= developpers.

Marketing people have no clue about any sort of technical detail. they just slamed 1080p and 60fps for buzwords because they have a technical paper somewhere that says PS4 can display that. Just the same as when you see 1080p behind any game box. It's not factual resolution.

Hoje0308

Banned
I thought the 1080p60 must be bullshit, since why would you downgrade the graphics but keep 60fps, which provides a minor benefit at a huge cost.

Living breathing city is marketing spin. It doesn't mean anything more than "we've got a bigger onscreen NPC count than GTA V and I:SS".

Resolution doesn't really bother me since it's just one aspect of image quality. If it's low res with poor lighting, low texture details and crap physics - then I'll be disappointed.
If they've lowered resolution so they can keep some really good lighting effects and high-quality textures, then it's probably the right call. There's no point in playing at 1080p if your textures look like that nathan_drake_wierd_face.jpg.

Since I spend my job pricing up different specifications that have far fewer options that Watch Dogs, I'll be waiting for the post-release amazon price-drop edition unless Ubi want to pay me to understand their bullshit product spec matrix.
When some content is only given to a small subset of the versions, you can be 100% sure that it's some shitty content that's being thrown in to attract gullible idiots.

There are many of us that think a higher frame rate provides much more than the small benefit you claim.
In terms of the "living, breathing city" there's no doubt that some of it is the usual attempt at making the game more appealing to consumers via the use of key words and phrases. But, some of the previews (Gamersyde is one, I think) have mentioned that the NPCs do react in a more lifelike manner than we're used to seeing in games. If it's brought to the point in which they don't all react to stimuli in the exact same manner, then that in itself will make the world seem more believable.

imtehman

Banned
Well i definitely see where you're coming from and your point has been noted. I will avoid doing so in the future. I generally abstain from making such comments except i deem it necessary and in this case, it was necessary. If i worked on this game, i would be embarrassed. One should be embarrassed especially if they feel that it is not an accurate representation of their ability. My issues is that they seem to be proud of their accomplishment and this game is nothing to be proud about from a technical standpoint.=What we have seen gameplay wise= reeks of assassins creed and farcry. It is seriously lacking in the innovation department. It doesn't break any barriers and the plot sounds weak as well. It is not necessary for you to innovate to have a good game. You can just be the game that does everything well. Watch Dogs doesn't innovate and isn't the type of game that does everything well. The only thing it has accomplished is being recognized as a "game".

so you're basing that the game doesnt innovate, or does anythign well based off.... videos? JEez, at least wait until reviews so that you can shit on the game before you've even played it.

so you're basing that the game doesnt innovate, or does anythign well based off.... videos? JEez, at least wait until reviews so that you can shit on the game before you've even played it.

You do realise people have cancelled pre-orders (or said as much), had meltdowns and rants, because of frame rates and resolutions? Isn't that more pathetic than judging a game based on videos he's seen? Everyone does that.

Personally, I'm quite partial to 4:1 pixel mapping.

I'm starting to think developers should reclassify certain settings, just to make it obvious they are enthusiast/tech fun/monster rig settings. Things like Nvidia PhysX/Fur and graphical settings that are extreme versions. Maybe an advanced advanced menu lol.

People really get butt hurt at the word "Medium", even if its crazy good, and way beyond console setting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not to defend sony, but people, please understand one and for all that marketing =/= developpers.

Marketing people have no clue about any sort of technical detail. they just slamed 1080p and 60fps for buzwords because they have a technical paper somewhere that says PS4 can display that. Just the same as when you see 1080p behind any game box. It's not factual resolution.

That might be true for the resolution, but the "60 Frames Per Second" doesn't have any reasonable excuse.

I still want to get it Day 1 and hope for a magical day one patch that might boost the resolution to 1080p.

If they keep the resolution 900p, there better not be any fucking frame drops. AC IV was smooth 30 fps on the PS4 at native 1080p.

derExperte

How your mind operates baffles me.

Can't be more baffling than the notion that console gamers can't and don't have immense backlogs, it's a really strange argument to make. Just take a look into the respective GAF thread.

I don't know if people are dense or just cant read, I said the people I KNOW who game on PC, Buy games in sales for novelty, How that equals me discrediting it is just dumbfounding.

Look at the whole conversation, it was less what you actually said and more the context that led to the misunderstanding.

ced

While there is no excuse for not hitting 1080 native on PS4, the comparisons to Infamous are not really fair. It has an open map, but it's completely barren when it comes to things going on.

I don't know if people are dense or just cant read, I said the people I KNOW who game on PC, Buy games in sales for novelty, How that equals me discrediting it is just dumbfounding.

TheD

The Detective

It discredits you due to the fact that it is not a logical argument against PC gaming (yet you use it as one).

Interfectum

What does that have to do with anything. I know people who buy console games they don't play or subscribe to MMOs they haven't played in months or buy tons of food they don't eat. Singling out PC gaming is pretty disingenuous.

But thanks for your revelation that people tend to buy stuff on sale they don't really need or use.

It discredits you due to the fact that it is not a logical argument against PC gaming (yet you use it as one).

At what point am I personally discrediting steam? I just don't see it.

I was making a statement based on the PC gamers i know, Not my personal opinion on it.

spekkeh

Banned
While this is sometimes true, this argument is ridiculous because it's idea is basically the same as saying "PS4 and XBoxOne should cost 200$ more, so people wouldn't be able to afford other hardware which they will rarely use".

Imo it's better to buy 5 games that you may play than buying 1 game and denying yourself from playing other 4.

Rationally this is true, so in a rational discourse your argument is clearly superior.

Emotionally, there's some truth to the other side. Back when I was in university (this was around '02 mind) the cracking scene blew up and you could get any new PC game for free on Kazaa and the like. Being poor, having no morals and liking internet and games, I started hoarding large amounts of games. You can't compete with free right. Interestingly, while my game collection was now larger than ever, and I also had more time than ever, my actual gaming interest reached all time lows. I downloaded all these AAA games, and couldn't play them for more than half an hour before losing interest. The games effectively lost their value when I got them online and for free. Not like before when I would save up for weeks, go to the store, caress the case and read the instruction manual from front to back, before inserting that expensive game into my PC/console.

It's the same reason why Nintendo was so vocal against lowering the price of their hardware and games, even though that would lead to more sales. In the longterm, it lowers the intrinsic (and not just monetary) value of the brand and games in the public's mind.

Offtopic but yeah.

I sort of have the same thing with Steam sales now. I love buying all the games. I never play them.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm sure before this genration kicked off a lot of people on here agreed that dev's would use 30fps/720p-900p enabling better effects/envoirments etc vs 1080p 60fps with less spectaclulur graphics. To be honest I'm surprised we've had as many 1080p games on PS4 as we've had thus far, personaly I'd love to see what's the best you could get out the PS4 @ 30fps 720p, I think over time that inclination will be more common.

I pretty much knew this was the case from the being, I never trust Ubisoft, which makes it even worse is that I know the game is going to run like crap on my pc, judging from all their other efforts. Except brotherhood, and Farcry 3. Hoping fro the best, expecting the worse.

Ethelwulf

I don't mind. As far as I can tell, this is going to be a trend, at least the first years. Battlefield 4 runs at the same resolution on PS4 and it looks quite ok. Although if you guys are angry because false promises, then I get it.

Ateron

This is just my opinion, but after seeing the footage, and considering this was a game built with last gen specs in mind as its core foundation, I don't see anything so impressive that they can't get it running at 1080p.

Maybe it needed even more time in the oven? Having resources spread through so many platforms couldn't have helped either, but so was the case with AC IV, which came out just fine and was a launch title.

I guess we will see who's right (the devs saying that the game is a lot more complex than it seems or the fanbase screaming incompetence) when GTA V remastered comes (if it's in their plans) and manage to get 1080p/30fps at bare minimum.

It boggles my mind how this game, the first to wow us 2 years ago and sort of a poster boy for next gen gets downgraded to hell and back only to perform like this. 900p games on the ps4 will eventually be the norm in 2-3 years when the devs start squeezing more than they should, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

Top Bottom