• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 182 |OT| Break Bones - Sponsored By Dude Wipes®

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Isnt rumble that guy who cheated by taking roids?

I noticed someone saying something like this earlier.

I don't think Rumble has ever been caught taking drugs. His only issues were missing weight when he fought at 170 and 185.

You're probably mistaking him for someone else.

Sean

Banned
Well for one that's a body kick from the back leg thrown as a simple attack that Jon Jones deifnitely saw coming from Cromier's wind up. Lead leg kicks can open up combinations while leg kicks in general can end them. That's not a good gif to demonstrate that point in particular.

I realize that wasn't exactly the best gif to demonstrate, but Jones isn't just going to stand there and eat kick after kick like Nate Diaz does for example.

Jones will make his opponent miss, counter it, take them down, etc. He's a complete fighter and can adjust to pretty much any situation.

I just don't think going for leg kick after leg kick is an effective strategy against Jones. imo the only fighter who could get away with attempting that sort of strategy is probably Gus because they're the same size and he wouldn't have to fear Jones takedowns quite as much.

When Jones loses it will be to a technically sound striker that he can't bully around. Think Gus, JDS or a prime version of Cro Cop.

Rumble has freak strength and a new found belief. Rashad says he casually knocks out people in the gym.

Won't be long till we see if the hype is real, his fight with Gus is going to be awesome.

industrian

I don't think Rumble has the mental fortitude to deal with Jones. I think that Jones would expose him as the black Glover Teixeira.

And the LHW division desperately needs fresh blood. After Gus/Rumble then there's no clear-cut contenders for Jones. At this point in time I envision Jones considering a few HW fights. I'm not sure they'd be ready for a grudge match with Cain - it might be too early for a superfight of that magnitude - so I see them having Jones vs. Schaub or some shit. It's either that or Jones vs. the winner of Davis/Bader. And if I couldn't keep a straight face typing that then how do you think Jones feels about it.

Heel

So I finally watched the Gus fight last night and I'll admit it was close. So how did one judge have it 49-46 jones?

They all did.

I'm still curious how Urso scored round 2 for Jones and round 3 for Cormier. It's whatever though, in the end the right man won.

BadAss2961

After last night I think Jones would embarrass everyone in the HW division, and that includes Cain. I'm not interested in seeing him blast Gus in the rematch. Seems more and more likely he took that fight lightly
If all those heavyweights had to move down to 205, then yeah. Otherwise, I doubt it.
More critically is that Cain has a far bigger gas tank than what we've seen from DC. Cain wouldn't wilt in those later championship rounds.

Still Jones is clearly a major threat to anyone, Cain included, especially if he can mitigate Cain's wrestling and clinch work on the fence the way he did with Cormier. It wouldn't be a foregone conclusion or anything but he'd pose serious problems to pretty much anyone at HW, and we'll probably see him there in 2016 if he sweeps 2015's LHWs again.
DC has a great gas tank. Slamming Jones after 5 long rounds backs that up. He also looked like he easily could've gone another round as Jones was just as tired as he was.

Cain would likely face the same problems DC did if he had to drop down to 205 to face Jones.

Amaya

Banned
Expect to see that in his next fight as well. Most fighters are never the same (or need a long rebound time) after Jones destroys them.

Are you saying Cormier got destroyed? Cause I would have to disagree. I really feel like DC had no confidence once he was in the ring. He could have knocked out Jon if he fought more aggressively.

Rur0ni

With regard to Jones/Cain, I imagine it would simply be a Heavyweight fight? Cain goes as normal (240+), except Jones comes in at ~220-230? I want to see this fight. Jones putting on a little more mass, potential to grab both belts.

Dysun

If all those heavyweights had to move down to 205, then yeah. Otherwise, I doubt it. DC has a great gas tank. Slamming Jones after 5 long rounds backs that up. He also looked like he easily could've gone another round as Jones was just as tired as he was.

Cain would likely face the same problems DC did if he had to drop down to 205 to face Jones.

Why doubt it? Cormier embarrassed Bigfoot and Barnett and he himself was embarrassed. There's nothing special at HW outside of Cain now that JDS looks battered.

Quake1028

Are you saying Cormier got destroyed? Cause I would have to disagree. I really feel like DC had no confidence once he was in the ring. He could have knocked out Jon if he fought more aggressively.

I could have been a billionaire if I just applied myself.

Everytime he went in for those KO punches Jon answered back with hellbows or gut shots. The more that went on the less likely that DC was going to have enough in the tank to KO anyone. Bones controlled and dominated that entire fight.

BadAss2961

Why doubt it? Cormier embarrassed Bigfoot and Barnett and he himself was embarrassed. There's nothing special at HW outside of Cain now that JDS looks battered.
There's a big difference going from 205'ers to suddenly fighting guys that can be up to 265. Cormier is not a natural LHW, he's a short heavyweight and is at his best in that division.

The heavyweight division would nullify Jones height/size advantage.
Everytime he went in for those KO punches Jon answered back with hellbows or gut shots. The more that went on the less likely that DC was going to have enough in the tank to KO anyone. Bones controlled and dominated that entire fight.

Jones definitely controlled the pace of the fight. But he only dominated the 4th round.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DC has no one but himself to blame, his coaches kept telling him to be more active in the later rounds and he actually let Jones hold him against the fence. He could've pushed harder as he proved with his "moral victory" takedown that Jones sprung right back up from. I was very disappointed that he spent the majority of the 5th round just trying to do that when he could've landed more blows and tried doing different things.

industrian

Are you saying Cormier got destroyed?

It's not simply a case of being physically destroyed (as in, a KO or sub or whatever), but it's more a case of what Jones did to DC. He nullified him. He took him down. He took him down again. There were only a few times where DC threatened, but Jones was able to evade and reset distance almost immediately.

Also, keep in mind that DC came into this fight with hopes and dreams of being the champion and capping off a brilliant career with a UFC title. He came into this the experienced veteran who threw around former UFC champions like they were toys. He came into this with the hype and expectation that Jones would be his equal. But at the end of the day, all he had to his name was one round and the "moral victory" of a single takedown.

BadAss2961

It's not simply a case of being physically destroyed (as in, a KO or sub or whatever), but it's more a case of what Jones did to DC. He nullified him. He took him down. He took him down again. There were only a few times where DC threatened, but Jones was able to evade and reset distance almost immediately.

Also, keep in mind that DC came into this fight with hopes and dreams of being the champion and capping off a brilliant career with a UFC title. He came into this the experienced veteran who threw around former UFC champions like they were toys. He came into this with the hype and expectation that Jones would be his equal. But at the end of the day, all he had to his name was one round and the "moral victory" of a single takedown.
Even with all that being true, it was a competitive fight throughout. Jones stifled DC's gameplan, but actually didn't do much else in terms of offense. He even opted to stall the entire 5th round with cage clinching.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Was pretty telling that the most common comment from Cormier's corner in between rounds was "do you want this?" Rockhold said he looked like he froze up at times. Maybe a case of right strategy (pressure; kicks, straights, overhands and jabs from range into clinch/dirty boxing), wrong tactic (coming in largely straight on, where he was eating the most shots, getting worn down in the process)? Tough to get angles though when you're trying to get to the clinch on a taller, rangier guy.

To those talking about leg kicks, Cormier did land a decent number of them, as well as body kicks, countering Jones' like Gustafsson did. Don't see anyone chopping Jones down though unless it's someone like Aldo; a brilliant fighter in all aspects who also has superlative leg kicks. There's no way that *****'s tibia snaps on Jones' Bambie legs but it seems like he's too busy to focus on the three and a half weeks of sprawl training required for him to take the title.

Also, seeing some revisionist history about the Gustafsson fight. Just because DC had a few tactical similarities to Gustafsson doesn't mean you can ignore the fact they have different builds and strategies. Someone said Jones clearly won the later rounds against Alex, which is simply untrue. Jones won because he stole the last six minutes of the fight after landing a single (brilliantly executed) strike; prior to that he was losing the fourth, perhaps by a bigger margin than any other round. Both guys have adjustments to make in a potential rematch. Jones' are obvious (strategy), but if Alex makes some changes to his exits the odds of that elbow landing drop even lower and he should be both less conservative and more measured in a rematch (if that makes sense, he was initially very flighty against Jones and didn't sit down on his punches, later he seemed to realise he was overdoing it).

Sean

Banned
Even with all that being true, it was a competitive fight throughout. Jones stifled DC's gameplan, but actually didn't do much else in terms of offense. He even opted to stall the entire 5th round with cage clinching.

How was that a competitive fight? Jones outclassed him in every aspect of the fight and won 4/5 rounds all whilst beating DC at his own game.

jiLKxSv.png

Even the biggest DC fans aren't demanding a rematch because he got beat so decisively.

I feel personally defeated. I knew Cormier was going to win and he didn't. He didn't even score a relevant takedown. I want to root for Gus or Rumble but what's the point? Jon "Bonylegs" Jones is here to stay.

The 2nd round suggested that Jones might get finished by an accumulation of strikes, but to his credit, he answered. Started to press Cormier against the cage in the 3rd, slowed him down, and pretty much stuck to that gameplan the rest of the way.

He had like 2 flurrys that hit Jones guard after a landed combo but that's as close as he got from what I saw, definitely not close to "getting finished" territory imo.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Who did DC beat anyways? 50 year old Hendo and Josh. Bones lost to the only contender he faced and got bailed out by EA Sports and Nike.

His wins are against complete cans like Shogun Rooey, Machida, Steve Bonnar, pumped up 185ers, and some dude Darth Bader. Wake up sheeple.

BadAss2961

How was that a competitive fight? Jones outclassed him in every aspect of the fight and won 4/5 rounds all whilst beating DC at his own game.

jiLKxSv.png

Even the biggest DC fans aren't demanding a rematch because he got beat so decisively.
I'm not trying to make a case that DC won the fight or even came close to winning it in scoring. But it was competitive. Jones wasn't dominant, he grinded out a clear decision. The fight went at least a full 3 rounds before Jones started to pull away; not with damage, but with scoring. And nothing happened in the 5th outside of cage control from Jones and a slam from DC.

All i'm trying to say is that no one got destroyed. DC didn't canned, and has nothing to be embarrassed about going forward outside his pride being tested in getting taken down in the 4th.

lupinko

I'm not trying to make a case that DC won the fight or even came close to winning it in scoring. But it was competitive. Jones wasn't dominant, he grinded out a clear decision. The fight went at least a full 3 rounds before Jones started to pull away; not with damage, but with scoring. And nothing happened in the 5th outside of cage control from Jones and a slam from DC.

All i'm trying to say is that no one got destroyed. DC didn't canned, and has nothing to be embarrassed about going forward outside his pride being tested in getting taken down in the 4th.

What else would it be? With your logic PBF isn't so great because he only wins with "points" and not by knocking a guy out or reconstructing his face.

Jones dominated that fight clean 4 out of 5 rounds, there are no excuses. Cormier was just outclassed.

Jones has only lost to himself, and unless he DQs himself again I don't see him losing for awhile with this current competition.

BadAss2961

What else would it be? With your logic PBF isn't so great because he only wins with "points" and not by knocking a guy out or reconstructing his face.

Jones dominated that fight clean 4 out of 5 rounds, there are no excuses. Cormier was just outclassed.

Jones has only lost to himself, and unless he DQs himself again I don't see him losing for awhile with this current competition.
'Dominated' is a ridiculous word to use for last night's fight. It was ugly, and not in the good way. Floyd usually wins easily, taking little/no damage, often making his opponent look amateur. Jones also does the same thing, usually. That wasn't the case last night against Cormier. He had to grind, I think he even said it himself.

This fight was closer to Floyd/Cotto or Floyd/Maidana than it was the usual schooling where his opponent never had a chance.

Mission

To be fair, the stats (at least what I remember from TV) were not that lopsided until the 5th round. I'm a Jones fan and not looking for a rematch but I don't think the final stats are telling the whole story.

Sean

Banned
'Dominated' is a ridiculous word to use for last night's fight. It was ugly, and not in the good way. Floyd usually wins easily, taking little/no damage, often making his opponent look amateur. Jones also does the same thing, usually. That wasn't the case last night against Cormier. He had to grind, I think he even said it himself.

This fight was closer to Floyd/Cotto or Floyd/Maidana than it was the usual schooling where his opponent never had a chance.

Dude, what? Your criteria for it being a competitive fight seems to be 'well at least DC didn't get finished and wheeled out in a stretcher'

Jones didn't have to grind, he chose to grind. He wanted to beat Cormier at his own game and completely embarrass him, which he did. Especially in this case where the entire feud started over Jon saying "I bet I could take you down" four years ago. Cormier was never taken down before and Jon did it in the first 30 seconds of round one and continued to do so while stuffing all but one of Cormier's takedowns. The olympic level wrestler got grinded on by a junior college wrestler. Jones did make his opponent look amateur IMO.

HRP4qvI.gif

DC got beaten in the most embarrassing and demoralizing way possible for 25 minutes. He knew there was absolutely no chance of winning and instead focused on getting that one moral victory takedown which he finally did with under a minute left. DC walked out of that octagon a completely broken man, dreams shattered, crying, being trolled by Jon on the mic. Dude was still shook up during the press conference like two hours later. I wouldn't be surprised if DC retires after this - even if he works his way back to the top he ain't ever beating Jon.

Jones/Gus was competitive, this wasn't even close. Maybe the first two rounds, but this was a five round fight.

VoxPop

If Bones outstriking him, stopping nearly every takedown, taking down an Olympic wrestler (who's never been taken down btw) three times, nullifying any form of offense and making him gas with body shots/elbows, the fact that no one even took a round from Cormier before this fight and making him cry isn't dominant, then I don't know what is.

Hell, I'd even go as to say it was more dominant than Cowboy's beatdown of Jury with those whip kicks. Just completely broke Cormier down at his own game and sent him packing back to HW where the competition is easier.

That is strange considering how he talked so much after the fight about how he's much more mature now, and is living in New Mexico and keeping it low key. Hope the guy gets his shit together.

The question is, will they strip him? I'm very much a Jones hater, but if somebody else failed a drug test for something that very much could be considered a PED then I'd say they should strip him of his title. I just don't see how they can let him keep the title.

The question is, will they strip him? I'm very much a Jones hater, but if somebody else failed a drug test for something that very much could be considered a PED then I'd say they should strip him of his title. I just don't see how they can let him keep the title.

the answer is no and it's right there in the article
ecause benzoylecgonine is not banned out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, the NSAC could not halt Jones from fighting at UFC 182, which proved to be one of the biggest events in recent MMA history.

From an alternate article:

But in a random drug test given to him on Dec. 4 by the Nevada Athletic Commission, Jones tested positive for benzoylecgonine, the main metabolite in cocaine.

The Nevada commission follows the World Anti-Doping Agency code and benzoylecgonine is not banned out-of-competition. As a result, the commission was unable to penalize Jones or prevent him from fighting despite knowing of the positive test.

It conducted a follow-up test later in December that Jones passed. Yahoo Sports was unable to get the exact date of the second test that Jones passed.

So no, he won't be stripped of the title nor will the fight results be changed UNLESS he popped hot on a test immediately before or after the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom