• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Fight Island (251) Usman v Masvidal

Usman or Masvidal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My Guesses for the Main Card:

Usman by RD 3 TKO.
I want Masvidal to win, but won't deny that Usman is an amazing if not boring fighter and there's a reason he's about to start breaking GSP records.

Holloway by decision.

No doubt that the Tazmanian Devil of a Walking Thumb Volkanovski won the first fight. And to be honest, I wouldn't put money on this at all, but I think Max learned his lesson. And people forget that Max is incredibly young and has been the dominant champ for a long time. Volk is a monster so he really could do it again and it wouldn't surprise me, but Max being so young, I think he'll have figured out what he should do better. I think Volk will take the first round and then Max is gonna step on the gas. His output level is just insane. It's gonna be awesome either way. Like both as Champ so I'm cool with whatever happens.

Petr Yan by KO.

Would love an Aldo win especially after he got screwed on that last fight. But Yan is a Russian killer.

Rose by KO.

She was winning until she lost that last fight. Also think Thug Rose is one of the best strikers in the division and I think she learned her lesson. She hasn't fought since that last fight which was over a year ago, so if her whole goal all year was to beat that, I think she's motivated enough. I think the belt was actually kind of holding her back and putting a lot of pressure on her especially after her fucking awesome fights with Joanna.

Ribas by submission

PVZ wants to leave, I don't think she cares, Ribas is a nasty sub fighter and I think she will destroy PVZ. PVZ want's to test free agency anyways and probably makes as much if not more just modelling anyways. Girl is a smoke show.

Overall I'm excited for the card.

Last edited:
Just because you like him as a fighter doesn't mean you have to share his political views, or you liking him for his fights doesn't mean you endorse anything he does outside the octagon.
I loved Michael Jackson as an artist and music producer. But I wouldn't hire him to be a babysitter.

highrider

Banned
Usman on paper is a great fighter, really good on the ground as well. I got Masvidal personally. He’s in the zone. TBH I think Colby could have beat Usman if he had heavier hands.

Usman on paper is a great fighter, really good on the ground as well. I got Masvidal personally. He’s in the zone. TBH I think Colby could have beat Usman if he had heavier hands.
On any given night, Top 5 or 6 in the Welterweight division could be the champion, that's how stacked the division is. I was rooting for Colby too and would love to see that run back. Usman is a nightmare though for just about everyone. He earned everything he has from the UFC the hard way and it really showed by how much he fucking DOMINATED Woodley and Covington. I really though Woodley was gonna take it to him, but Usman had Woodley looking around like, "what the hell is going on?"

He's about the most boring and uninteresting fighter on the roster and I can't fucking stand him trying to act like he's this African kid with a rough upbringing that managed to escape the Congo and give himself a better life when the dude has clearly been raised and grew up with a fairly plain life as Marty from Nebraska, puts some wins on and then he's all like,

giphy.gif

It's like dude, it's okay to be Marty from Nebraska, it's why Masvidal has been able to get away with calling the dude all kinds of names and talking about how he has a new personality everyday. He does change personalities and it comes across as disingenuous. People like authenticity, it's why Masvidal and even Askren became so popular, they are authentic genuine people. Even recently someone asked Askren, "How long did it take you to realize that Masvidal wasn't messing around?" Askren said, "5 seconds." Genuine response and hilarious at the same time. It's shit like that fans can rally around. I want a Masvidal victory, but as much as I don't like Usman, I think he's gonna be around for a while. And until someone takes it from him, he's earned every bit of that title.

Last edited:

GymWolf

genuine masvidal...lol the guy is the most cringy fighter in the roster right now...

he become what he hated before the recent glory, i mean the guy wear this robe to fly for a title championship fight ffs...

maxresdefault.jpg

and don't even let me start with all that baptize\resurection\street jesus farce...

i hope usman can humble this guy, he is not funny anymore, just cringy.

Last edited:
genuine masvidal...lol the guy is the most cringy fighter in the roster right now...

he become what he hated before the recent glory, i mean the guy wear this robe to fly for a title championship fight ffs...

maxresdefault.jpg

and don't even let me start with all that baptize\resurection\street jesus farce...

He's the Baddest Motherfucker on the roster.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Man, I can't wait for this card. but it starts at really shitty time for me, at like 0100.

The prelims start at 1 am for me, the main card won't start till 3 am and I'm guessing it won't be finished till about 6 am or 7 am (if all fights go the distance).

highrider

Banned

maxresdefault.jpg

If by cringe you mean awesome I agree.

highrider

Banned
On any given night, Top 5 or 6 in the Welterweight division could be the champion, that's how stacked the division is. I was rooting for Colby too and would love to see that run back. Usman is a nightmare though for just about everyone. He earned everything he has from the UFC the hard way and it really showed by how much he fucking DOMINATED Woodley and Covington. I really though Woodley was gonna take it to him, but Usman had Woodley looking around like, "what the hell is going on?"

He's about the most boring and uninteresting fighter on the roster and I can't fucking stand him trying to act like he's this African kid with a rough upbringing that managed to escape the Congo and give himself a better life when the dude has clearly been raised and grew up with a fairly plain life as Marty from Nebraska, puts some wins on and then he's all like,

giphy.gif

It's like dude, it's okay to be Marty from Nebraska, it's why Masvidal has been able to get away with calling the dude all kinds of names and talking about how he has a new personality everyday. He does change personalities and it comes across as disingenuous. People like authenticity, it's why Masvidal and even Askren became so popular, they are authentic genuine people. Even recently someone asked Askren, "How long did it take you to realize that Masvidal wasn't messing around?" Askren said, "5 seconds." Genuine response and hilarious at the same time. It's shit like that fans can rally around. I want a Masvidal victory, but as much as I don't like Usman, I think he's gonna be around for a while. And until someone takes it from him, he's earned every bit of that title.
Yeah I take nothing away from Usman as a fighter, but I also can’t stand the guy. Masvidal is the best striker at welterweight by far, one of the best in the ufc. I’m curious to see how Usman fares against a legit striker with knock out power, and more importantly, a savage. Masvidal has never been finished or knocked out. He would rather die. I don’t see that in Usman. I think a lot of people don’t see the commitment and determination behind the character that he is sometimes.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Got my beers, weed, wings and nuts ready.
Gonna stay up until 5am to watch this, which I rarely do these days, but the card is absolutely stacked.

Expecting to win:

Usman
Volk
Yan
Rose
Ribas

Want to win:

Masvidal
Holloway
Aldo
Rose
Don't care

Edit: Just rewatchihg Usman vs Covington and Usman gets caught a lot in that first round... Masvidal does have a really good chance of putting him away within the first two rounds I think.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah I take nothing away from Usman as a fighter, but I also can’t stand the guy. Masvidal is the best striker at welterweight by far, one of the best in the ufc. I’m curious to see how Usman fares against a legit striker with knock out power, and more importantly, a savage. Masvidal has never been finished or knocked out. He would rather die. I don’t see that in Usman. I think a lot of people don’t see the commitment and determination behind the character that he is sometimes.
wonderboy schooled masvidal but ok.

also conor and leon edwards.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Man, it's gonna be tough to stay up for this one. It's already past 1 and the first fight of the prelims hasn't even gone on

TrainedRage

Banned
So far so good. I like seeing new fighters so this should be a fun one.

Edit: was an ok fight. That nut shot looked really bad.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
wonderboy schooled masvidal but ok.

also conor and leon edwards.

Fair enough, but he hadn’t fought in a year against Wonderboy and he’s consistently been wrecking dudes ever since. He pieced up Nate and manhandled him. Leon already looks scared of him, but he is an underrated fighter. Connor, which Connor shows up tho?

Top Bottom