• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Fight Night 148 - Thompson vs. Pettis

209429.jpg

p41DtPC.jpg

Prelims
YletqBg.jpg

More info, odds, matchups, etc (MMA core)

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Let me know when they book Subway Sandwich vs Red Hat.

#MakeUFCFootlongsAgain

JimiNutz

Banned
There was a time when Pettis was my favourite fighter. After that WEC Matrix kick against B Henderson I was literally in awe of his skill and couldn't wait to see him in the UFC.

Unfortunately he's had some bad form against good wrestlers in the UFC and he's also been outstruck by smaller, arguably less skilled strikers than Thompson in past fights.

At Welterweight I worry that he's gonna be too small and Thompson will eventually be a able to land a big shot and finish the fight. Dangerous match up for Pettis but definitely interested to see how he matches up against the bigger man.

JimiNutz

Banned
I like the idea of 165 if they in turn change 170 to 175. 155-165-170 doesn't make sense to me, but 155-165-175-185-205 is something I would endorse.

I def agree with this.
The roster is big enough and there are enough fights for there to now only be 10lb gaps between these weight divisions.
155, 165, 175, 185 for sure
Maybe even 195 as well.

I understand the concept DC presented that with Woodley out of the picture, Wonderboy has a new window at the title but honestly I don’t think Usman hears a peep out of Wonderboy. That's kind of why I don't like this fight. If Wonderboy wins, ok he beat a 155er with no wrestling. If Pettis wins, that's awesome, but he will get smothered by Colby/Askren/Usman

Pettis is getting beat BUT he has landed two lefts right on Wonderboy's chin this round. It's one of those things to keep an eye on, just like when Masvidal landed in spots against Till despite losing the first round handily.

EDIT

WOW

Just as I posted this Pettis goes fuckin Super Saiyan WOW

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sweet punch. Didn't even look that hard.

Stephen Thompson is good, but watching some of his fights, he does that jabbing kick thing all the time. Boring as fuck.

Sweet punch. Didn't even look that hard.

Stephen Thompson is good, but watching some of his fights, he does that jabbing kick thing all the time. Boring as fuck.

Pettis had landed two clean lefts on Wonderboy's chin, like RIGHT on the button, that round. It doesn't always look like it hurts but those add up. This felt just like Till/Masvidal last week in that regard.

Can't just keep your chin up like that. Till and Wonderboy leave their chin super exposed. Can only absorb so many clean shots. It is not just the KO blow, its a process that begins well before

A lot of people see a guy eat a shot and walk through it and think "well that didnt do anything" but it all adds up

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
WOW. I thought he looked good against Tony (and I wouldn’t have written him off during the middle of those rounds either).

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Maybe wonderboy wants to learn to fight with his hands up protecting his head. Having them dangling all the time like a karate fighter is really silly in the octagon

JimiNutz

Banned
Goddamn.
What a finish from Pettis! I really didn't expect that, especially with his hands. Thompson had the reach advantage and was the bigger man. You could see that reach advantage in full effect in the opening rounds as Thompson was landing a lot of straight punches. Pettis was throwing a lot of kicks in return and then a superman hook out of nowhere!

I still think Pettis is too small for WW but goddamn what a finish!

Last edited:
Masvidal and Pettis both at 170 coming off consecutive weeks of KO of the year candidate performances.

Forget Leon Edwards, make this fight

hey man as a beaner i dont want my beaner brothers knocking each others asses out just yet.

damn crazy knockout though. i didnt expect that shit. you honestly cant count guys out in any fucking fight. diego masvidal and pettis my brown brothers

Goddamn.
What a finish from Pettis! I really didn't expect that, especially with his hands. Thompson had the reach advantage and was the bigger man. You could see that reach advantage in full effect in the opening rounds as Thompson was landing a lot of straight punches. Pettis was throwing a lot of kicks in return and then a superman hook out of nowhere!

I still think Pettis is too small for WW but goddamn what a finish!

Yeah it was a an amazing finish. Good for him. I still think he’ll just smothered by Askren/Usman/Colby at 170 but if we ignore the title picture then there are other fun matchups

Top Bottom