• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ugh I just stuck a qtip too deep into my ear

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Q-tips is that if you abuse them you can end up with deep-ear wax buildup... once I had to use hydrogen peroxide to free up my ear because the buildup was so bad

I had the same thing happen to me.

I couldn't hear out of my right ear.

Q-Tip.JPG

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Who the fuck puts Qtips in their ears? Says there, right on the box. DO NOT PUT IN EAR CANAL.

You deserve all of this.
I'm pretty sure almost everyone does? I never did that as a kid and ended with a terrible wax buildup in my ear, which resulted with me not being able to hear for well for a month even after they cleaned it with some chemical. Ever since then I make sure to let water get in there when I shower, and I use qtips to get that crap out about every week or so. Never had any problems. I'm not really sure what kind of problem there can be if you do it regularly and when the wax is softened.

The warning is probably some BS liability thing to prevent lawsuits from people who would jam it in full force not realizing how sensitive ear canal is.

MIMIC

Banned
Schattenjäger;49687950 said:
I never use qtips but had some lying around after cleaning the espresso machine .. I was like fuck if let's see how wax is in there .. Pulled out a wad and now my left ear hurts. Its leads me to ask what you all do to clean your earwax ?? I tend to have a lot and I know this after see my headphones filled with it daily

I went to the doctor and had my right ear cleansed (after the wax build-up was so bad that I couldn't hear anymore).

I should have had my left one cleansed, too. I can hear so much better out of the right one.

ScrubJay

What the hell is this madness? You can't put Q tips in your ears? You've got 50 years of pop culture telling the exact opposite. It's part of monkey Island for gods sake. Next you'll be telling me you're supposed to eat banana peels.

Apath

Q-tips are mainly used for cleaning your ears, and everyone uses them as such. It just has a warning on the box to cover their own asses.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I never use qtips but had some lying around after cleaning the espresso machine .. I was like fuck if let's see how wax is in there .. Pulled out a wad and now my left ear hurts. Its leads me to ask what you all do to clean your earwax ?? I tend to have a lot and I know this after see my headphones filled with it daily

Big mistake.

Usually if it's that bad in terms of pain or I see consistent bleeding like when I was kid a doctor. Otherwise for the most part I take a shower and the let the heat soften shit up and thenhair pin to be far more useful at getting something out. Qtips just push shit around. If you stick anything at all in your ear, which is risky as fuck, don't use a qtip except to get loose shit that is about to come out. I may do this every few weeks as build up takes a while for me.

My mom when I was kid use to use a bulb she could fill water, about lukewarm not hot. Spray it gently in the ear and let it drain out ear wax don't need much to come out.

Fuck qtips there are more useful untensils to stick in your ear and get the results you wants if it's that blocked up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OP, unless you were jamming that qtip in there like a maniac, the reason it hurts is that you have probably dislodged large amount of earwax crap that has dried in there and attached itself too firmly to your ear canal. You should not do it when the ear is completely dry.

GulAtiCa

You prob just hit the ear drum too hard. Need to be more gentle.

And I thought everyone used q-tips for the ears. What the heck are q-tips main purpose if not for cleaning your ears? How do people clean them without something like a q-tip. Using a finle won't work, as that is larger them my ear canel..

Kazerei

Banned
You prob just hit the ear drum too hard. Need to be more gentle.

And I thought everyone used q-tips for the ears. What the heck are q-tips main purpose if not for cleaning your ears? How do people clean them without something like a q-tip. Using a finle won't work, as that is larger them my ear canel..

Ear pick

I though that if it didn't hurt you weren't cleaning your ears right. I used to put it half way all the way into my ear canal.

Its leads me to ask what you all do to clean your earwax ?? I tend to have a lot and I know this after see my headphones filled with it daily

I use Q-tips. Apparently I've perfected the art of not sticking it in too far because I've never had a problem.

Just youtubed earwax.
Some peoples ears are pretty damn filthy.

I hate googling any medical problems because there's always someone out there with the most extreme form of the condition, and for some reason these people love showing them off on google images.

Dariee

After reading this thread I now have the strangest urge to put a cotton swab in my ears.

Also, we call them 'ear sticks' here (translated literally).

butzopower

proud of his butz
I don't see what else q-tips are useful for. I mean, what else are you supposed to clean your ears with? Your pinky finger? Enlighten me, HygieneGAF.

When I asked my doctor this they told me that I should basically just deal with it and either go to them when I need them cleaned out or go with some other home solutions that don't involve q-tips.

Dereck

The Wax Vac does not work, I bought one and it only really works as advertised, it vacuums out water in your ear, but when it come to wax itself, it's shit.

The Adder

Banned
Had a wax ball finally fall out of my ear earlier this year. Is had been in there since 2010 periodically blocking off my hearing. I thought it was just regular wax blocking off my ear because it would clear up a few days later. Turns out that wasn't the case.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's a bad habit of mine.. I think I'll be deaf before I hit 30. What's supposed to be the proper way to clean your ear canals then?

And not that medieval shit posted above.

Dereck

It's a bad habit of mine.. I think I'll be deaf before I hit 30. What's supposed to be the proper way to clean your ear canals then?

And not that medieval shit posted above.
I use ear drops, they fizz away in my ear, but then what?

ZaCH3000

Use a peroxide water mixture and some kind of squirt gun. The peroxide water mixture will dissolve all of the ear wax without damaging your ears. I get this done by the nurse at my University :lol

akira28

ugh I just grabbed my ear. the thought of the pain...

qtips and alcohol are the way to go. you clean with gently radiating circles, so as not to damage the goods. Your ears are a delicate instrument, not a cartoon.

I forgot that different ethnicities have different types of ear wax. Like there's wet, medium and dry. That's freaky shit. If you're dry, you need an actual ear pick. I was at a chinese massage and barber place and the set up lady was cleaning my ears with one, and that's definitely not for me.

LordCanti

I clean as deep as I dare with Q-Tips. The goal is to keep people from thinking my ears are dirty, not to "clean" in the traditional sense.

Buy hydrogen peroxide. Fill the cap up 50/50 with the hydrogen peroxide and some warm (not hot, warm) water. Pour that shit in ear (turning your head to the side to keep it in there). Leave it there for 5-10 seconds. Do this 2-3 times in each ear. If you do this a couple times a week you'll have no more ear wax, or very little anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom