• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ugh..... Loose Discs....

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ordered 'Jedi Fallen Order' off eBay and the disc was loose and rattling on arrival.

This happens so much with ordering games online especially Amazon and eBay that it makes me wonder if all my purchases now should be brick and mortar if I can help it.

As a collector, it sucks getting loose discs like this. Seems to happen mostly with PS4, PS3 and XBox One, 360 games though.

Last edited:
Current gen it doesn't matter because blu-ray discs are anti-scratch, the only time its annoying is when you order a game on something that's not blu-ray.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Darkmakaimura

They can be scratched up just not as easily. Banging around during shipping in the case and rubbing up against the spinal though could probably damage it.

Btw I'm a collector so I'm not opening the case but it's more than obvious when you shake it the disc is hard rattling in it and hitting the sides of the case.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Wait there's something wrong with that? I thought it was mandatory that all new PS4 games must loose. All mine come like that. Never had a problem during the PS3 era.
When I buy at brick and mortar the games are almost always in place and not loose off the spindle holder in the case.

This just seem to occur with ordering games online, though some still arrive secured.

They can be scratched up just not as easily. Banging around during shipping in the case and rubbing up against the spinal though could probably damage it.

Btw I'm a collector so I'm not opening the case but it's more than obvious when you shake it the disc is hard rattling in it and hitting the sides of the case.
I'd be shocked if plastic could scratch it. I've literally never seen or got a scratched blu-ray disc, there is no way they are that easy to scratch.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
PS4 cases seem to be prone to it. More than 50% of the time I get games via mail they have loose discs.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah unfortunately this has happened to me many times recently from Amazon.uk.
Amazon does it here too. I can’t count how many times the disc was loose. I can tell when I open up that envelope they send game(s) in and you can hear it jiggle around. I realize they want to save the planet by not having manuals and making their cases out of whatever, but you’re paying around $65 USD after tax for a disc. You’d think more people in the industry would complain. Granted they probably get their copy shipped from somewhere else. The commoners get what we get.

Last edited:

Serengrad

Neo Member
Amazon does it here too. I can’t count how many times the disc was loose. I can tell when I open up that envelope they send game(s) in and you can hear it jiggle around. I realize they want to save the planet by not having manuals and making their cases out of whatever, but you’re paying around $65 USD after tax for a disc. You’d think more people in the industry would complain. Granted they probably get their copy shipped from somewhere else. The commoners get what we get.
If you're talking about press, seems they mostly get codes nowadays. Also, blu-rays are pretty tough, this was way more of a danger back with CDs/DVDs.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you're talking about press, seems they mostly get codes nowadays. Also, blu-rays are pretty tough, this was way more of a danger back with CDs/DVDs.
I remember when the durability with Blu-ray’s got all the praise. It’s great, but no one likes to hear that sound. My Bloodstained KS copy got replaced because it had a crack in the center.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Wait there's something wrong with that? I thought it was mandatory that all new PS4 games must loose. All mine come like that. Never had a problem during the PS3 era.
PS3 cases hold the disc super tight but PS4 cases are all loose and flappy I’ve found.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered 'Jedi Fallen Order' off eBay and the disc was loose and rattling on arrival.

This happens so much with ordering games online especially Amazon and eBay that it makes me wonder if all my purchases now should be brick and mortar if I can help it.

As a collector, it sucks getting loose discs like this. Seems to happen mostly with PS4, PS3 and XBox One, 360 games though.
Try getting "new" sealed games that arrive fucked up because the seller basically used garbage bags and a tiny bit of bubblewrap to cover up the game instead of real shipping material because they are cheap assholes. Enjoy your return that you're paying for because I'm not dealing with your shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

brap

Banned
PS3 cases hold the disc super tight but PS4 cases are all loose and flappy I’ve found.
They're the fucking worst. Blu-ray cases are fine though. Sony needs to get their shit together.

Try getting "new" sealed games that arrive fucked up because the seller basically used garbage bags and a tiny bit of bubblewrap to cover up the game instead of real shipping material because they are cheap assholes. Enjoy your return that you're paying for because I'm not dealing with your shit.
I swear I've gotten 2 fucking brand new games online that the seller shipped in fucking plastic. Like actual thin as fuck plastic. 0 protection. No bubble wrap. It's fucking insane. The games were completely fine though surprisingly.

Barakov

Seems to have happened to a bunch of PS4 games for me. I was able to install them and play them just fine though. Seems like ordering PS4 games from Amazon causes a loose disc situation.

Last edited:

John Day

The argument could be made though, that packaging methods have become cheaper and cheaper with the times.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
They're the fucking worst. Blu-ray cases are fine though. Sony needs to get their shit together.

I swear I've gotten 2 fucking brand new games online that the seller shipped in fucking plastic. Like actual thin as fuck plastic. 0 protection. No bubble wrap. It's fucking insane. The games were completely fine though surprisingly.
Yes well this looks like it was cut with a knife yet it was still in shrink wrap.

H9ZniKL.png

The line goes all the way to the middle of the case and of course the original image didn't look like that at all. I blame both the seller for not using better protection and the post offices since I'm sure they also don't give a shit and just stuff a bunch of packages together without thinking of what would happen if it gets crushed between other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkmakaimura

Actually the game was very well packed. Two layers of bubble wrap. But the seller said the disc was not loose when he sent it.

Lucumo

Not much different with Amazon's FBA either. They put a game box that is easily bent and warped in basically no protection. Shipping services don't give a damn and treat it roughly, resulting in dents etc which is doubly painful if it's the only copy available.

I never got any of my games scratched when lose in box. I think you got a bigger problem which is OCD and only because you buy a game never to open it. I mean ....:messenger_tears_of_joy: its like you were asking for it. So what do you do when moving house/apartment? Pay extra for someone to deliver them to a new place super slow and avoid all potholes so that none of the games comes lose? Enjoy life, say no to OCD.

HeresJohnny

I never got any of my games scratched when lose in box. I think you got a bigger problem which is OCD and only because you buy a game never to open it. I mean ....:messenger_tears_of_joy: its like you were asking for it. So what do you do when moving house/apartment? Pay extra for someone to deliver them to a new place super slow and avoid all potholes so that none of the games comes lose? Enjoy life, say no to OCD.
This strikes me as a pretty dumb take. I mean, why even try to protect the discs at all if it shouldn't bother you? Why not just ship them in paper sleeves?

Boss Mog

I’ve never have this problem because I don’t buy discs.
Some people actually like owning things when they pay money for them. You know being able to use it whenever they want, being able to resell it, that kind of thing. But hey some people like you like paying more money to not own something and instead just have the right to play it if Sony or MS say it's okay and their networks are up and running. and your account is in good standing.

xrnzaaas

Didn’t know this. I rented Uncharted 4 from redbox and the game couldn’t be read. I assumed it was scratched.
Discs can still be damaged and some people will treat them like shit when it's a rented copy. The disc shouldn't have any stratches if it was a new copy and got loose inside the dvd case.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
The argument could be made though, that packaging methods have become cheaper and cheaper with the times.

I don’t think there’s much of an argument here that needs to be made because it’s simply true that game cases are more cheaply made than they use to be. I mean they cut a huge hole in the middle for no other reason than to save money on plastic. No inserts any more unless they’re advertisements.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this being the reason. It seems so obvious that retailers aren’t shipping them loose on purpose. They just simply come loose as they’re being handled due to cheap cases.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That's a problem with buying disk, you won't get a "loose disk" via digital black Friday sale LOL

Some people actually like owning things when they pay money for them. You know being able to use it whenever they want, being able to resell it, that kind of thing. But hey some people like you like paying more money to not own something and instead just have the right to play it if Sony or MS say it's okay and their networks are up and running. and your account is in good standing.
Most games have an online component to them and that’s going to continue for everything except for most indie games and lets face it, indie games rarely have boxes. The only games that are mostly worth a damn are exclusives and with both consoles supporting BC all the way back to PS1 and Xbox it’s hard to believe that any good games would stop being supported anytime soon.

Not to mention, 0 games run off the disc itself. It’s a glorified installer from there the disc is just DRM but if you want your $5 from GameStop, please buy as many discs as you want. People are entitled to their own opinion. But rarely do I ever buy a game at full price.

*digitally buys God of War for $10 proceeds to buy Halo Reach for $8 on PC.*

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Depends how you buy it, if it's directly in a store then you can shake the case to check if it's loose. ;)
I actually do this but not once have I had a loose disc from Wal-Mart or Gamestop.

It's like women in their teens and early 20s and then women in their late 20s to 30s and beyond
Omfg lmao.

Last edited:
Most games have an online component to them and that’s going to continue for everything except for most indie games and lets face it, indie games rarely have boxes. The only games that are mostly worth a damn are exclusives and with both consoles supporting BC all the way back to PS1 and Xbox it’s hard to believe that any good games would stop being supported anytime soon.

Not to mention, 0 games run off the disc itself. It’s a glorified installer from there the disc is just DRM but if you want your $5 from GameStop, please buy as many discs as you want. People are entitled to their own opinion. But rarely do I ever buy a game at full price.

*digitally buys God of War for $10 proceeds to buy Halo Reach for $8 on PC.*
It doesn't matter, the point is you can play the game with just the disc like you've always been able to do. 90% of my PS4 library of 200+ physical games run just fine offline with no patches.

Whitesnake

Banned
Rarely get discs, and very rarely did they arrive loose, but even if it is loose it’s not that big a deal.

It’s pretty hard to get a game-altering scratch just from the disc rubbing a bit against the plastic innards. And if it is scratched you can just buff it out.

Hissing Sid

One of my major bugbears.

If for whatever reason you intend to keep a particular Ps4 game sealed but have the disc rattling around inside the case, there's a way to get it back on the spindle without unsealing the game or damaging the case.

Check out the youtube video below. I've done this dozens of times myself and it works. Only done this with PS4 games but I should imagine it'll work the same with xbox games.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

One of my major bugbears.

If for whatever reason you intend to keep a particular Ps4 game sealed but have the disc rattling around inside the case, there's a way to get it back on the spindle without unsealing the game or damaging the case.

Check out the youtube video below. I've done this dozens of times myself and it works. Only done this with PS4 games but I should imagine it'll work the same with xbox games.

Wow thank you.

Top Bottom