• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UGnG reminds me of this series. Where is it now? :(

SumGamer

Demonscrest_us.jpg

DemonsCrest_titre.png

I just got Ultimage Ghost 'n' Goblin today and encounter my favourite action platform game character, Red Arremer. It's been a long time since I last play Demon's Crest, but I still remember days of fun I had with that game.

demon-s-crest.u_02.png

What happen to the serie? Although it is a spinoff from Makaimura but the game is great. I reckon Capcom should revamp the game like they did with UGnG.

Anybody here has the same experience with this game?

Mar

I'm ashamed to admit, but I've never played any of the Demons Crest games. I absolutely love the GnG series. Finished all of them (working my way through UGnG now) and yet haven't touched these spin offs.

Are they worth it?

Ah, I hope this series shows up on the Wii's VC. I'd love to get the SNES game. I only have the original Gameboy one from when I was a kid. Great game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
demon's crest rocks...though i'm not totally pleased that ug+g inherited its collection elements and its hidden final bosses. and anyone who complains about ultimate's difficulty needs to fight the real bosses of demon's crest. that'll supply some perspective. good god.

gargoyle's quest 2 on nes is great as well, actually.

stewy

man, I loved Gargoyle's Quest. I still play through the GB game at least once a year.

Add another vote for inclusion on the VC.

Limedust

Just a loose list of the series and the spinoffs. Feel free to copy and modify/add. Gargoyle's Quest was the first spinoff of the series, and was combination RPG/action adventure. I played the total crap out of that game, and like many of the G&G games, I remember it was fairly difficult for me (especially some of the bosses which could be a pain).

Ghosts & Goblins (Arcade)
Ghosts & Goblins (NES)
Ghosts & Goblins (GBC)

Ghouls & Ghosts (Arcade)
Ghouls & Ghosts (NES?)
Ghouls & Ghosts (Genesis)

Super Ghouls & Ghosts (SNES)

Ultimate Ghouls & Ghosts (PSP) - BUY NOW!

Gargoyle's Quest (GB)
Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES)
Demon's Crest (SNES)

Maximo (PS2)
Maximo 2 (PS2)

TreIII

Great game...a shame that it really did poorly back in the day when it first came out. If I remember correctly, people actually took the game back just because it was "too hard" for them and such.

Yep, truly a shame...Demon's Crest was one of my fave SNES titles, and Red Arremer's a cooler character than Arthur or Maximo could ever hope to be, in my eyes.

Sometimes, I can't help but wonder what it could be like if some one like Clover Studios, or another competent branch/subsidiary under Capcom's wing were given the reigns to the Gargoyle's Quest franchise. I could definitely see something interesting, without necessarily having to make it into a DMC clone either...

Jonnyram

Limedust said:
Just a loose list of the series and the spinoffs. Feel free to copy and modify/add. Gargoyle's Quest was the first spinoff of the series, and was combination RPG/action adventure. I played the total crap out of that game, and like many of the G&G games, I remember it was fairly difficult for me (especially some of the bosses which could be a pain).

Ghosts & Goblins (NES)
Ghosts & Goblins (GBC)

Ghouls & Ghosts (Arcade)
Ghouls & Ghosts (NES?)

Ultimate Ghouls & Ghosts (PSP) - BUY NOW!

Gargoyle's Quest (GB)
Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES)
Demon's Crest (SNES)

Maximo (PS2)
Maximo 2 (PS2)
You forgot Nazo Makaimura - the Incredible Toons spin-off for PS.

aurthurtoastorothnonazomakaimura1.jpg

PolyGone

Banned
Demon's Crest is awesome, but the first Gargoyle's Quest is the best imo, I can't vouch for the second one because I never got around to it. Demon's Crest had the multiple gargoyle forms, multiple endings, etc but it didn't quite match my expectations from the first game, because GQ is easily one of the best Gameboy games - it had great graphics, music and gameplay. Sure, it was a very short and linear adventure, and maybe its the nostalgia talking, but if you haven't played any of them, begin with Gargoyle's Quest on the Gameboy. Firebrand earns new abilities as you go, so don't worry about his weak wing power, etc at the start - he becomes nearly invincible by the end.

Jonnyram said:

aurthurtoastorothnonazomakaimura1.jpg

It says its a puzzle game, what kind of game was it? looks interesting!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Didn't anyone else feel that Demon's Crest kinda fell apart in the latter half? The first few stages were tremendously great, but the second half just seemed really rushed. I both loved and came away dissapointed.

SumGamer

Martoo said:
I'm ashamed to admit, but I've never played any of the Demons Crest games. I absolutely love the GnG series. Finished all of them (working my way through UGnG now) and yet haven't touched these spin offs.

Are they worth it?

Totally worth it.

==
Nazo Makaimura is a puzzle game where you have to place multiple items in the stage to ease Authur past the enemy to the gate.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I really really love Demon's Crest. Fully finished it, hidden end boss and everything (HARDEST GODDAMN BOSS EVER). For those wondering if it's worth it, if you like Metroid style side scrolling adventure games, you'll dig Demon's Crest.

jarrod

Banned
Limedust said:
Ghosts & Goblins (NES)
Ghosts & Goblins (GBC)
Also released on GBA (Famicom Mini), WonderSwan, Pocket PC and mobile phones. Probably some Euro computer platforms to I'd guess.

Limedust said:
Ghouls & Ghosts (Arcade)
Ghouls & Ghosts (NES?)
Also released on PC Engine and X8600. Probably some mobile ports. No NES version.

Limedust said:
Also released on GBA.

And you could add Capcom Generations Volume 2 for PS/SS, which contained perfect ports of the 3 GnG games.

Jonnyram said:
Also released on Saturn. :)

Pimpbaa

jarrod said:
Also released on GBA (Famicom Mini), WonderSwan, Pocket PC and mobile phones. Probably some Euro computer platforms to I'd guess.

There was a version on the C64 (guess that counts as a euro computer, but it was hugely successful in north america too).

Also released on PC Engine and X8600. Probably some mobile ports. No NES version.

Ghouls n Ghosts was released on the Supergraphix not the PC Engine.

Daigoro

i wish they re-release Demons Crest on the GBA. i never played it.

ive only played GQ for GB. the only GB cart i didnt sell off, couldnt part with it.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Don't forget Capcom Classic Collection - Vol. 1 for PS2/Xbox...contains the arcade versions of Ghosts'n Goblins and Ghouls'n Ghosts along with the SNES version of Super Ghouls'n Ghosts.

Daigoro

Whimsical Phil said:
Don't forget Capcom Classic Collection - Vol. 1 for PS2/Xbox...contains the arcade versions of Ghosts'n Goblins and Ghouls'n Ghosts along with the SNES version of Super Ghouls'n Ghosts.

fantastic collection. 20 well spent.

Top Bottom