• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uh, is there a reason why Nintendo stock just jumped 700 yen to 15,020 yen per share?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Come on guys, there's no way that "the investors" are getting secret announcements or information. That is incredibly illegal.

Riki

Incredibly illegal and incredibly commonplace.

Except for with Nintendo, where Iwata basically says "Fuck off" to his investors in the nicest way possible when they ask stuff like "Why didn't you give out WiiFits during the biggest natural disaster in the country's history?"

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I sold my Nintendo stock last week at a tidy 53% profit. Seems likely that the recent upswing is fueled by erroneous expectations of big shake-ups and a move to mobile...

When things cool off a bit later in the year I'll potentially get back in...

Same.

I'm quite frankly expecting the worse with Q3 and expect the stock to underperform going forward; hence, I sold my position and banked my profits. Like you, I'm potentially looking to get back in after.

MillerEP

Neo Member
The current uptick is because of the Console Ban lifting in China finally after 10 years. The expectation is that the most Asian and kiddie consoles will sale great in another Asian culture. They don't have a lot of Nintendo games on the China blacklist.

NeoRausch

It already been up for a hour. Doesn't mention Iwata, or anything business related at all.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...endo-not-if-mario-and-zelda-fans-keep-playing

wow, some parts of that article are golden!

But this past fall Nintendo came out with Super Mario 3D World specifically for the Wii. Mario's a plumber who goes on a lot of adventures.

"This one's a lot better," Bohm says. "A lot of the levels in the Mario game require you to use the touch pad. You have to press buttons to unlock things or open pathways and stuff like that."

press buttons to unlock things and stuff like that.

gaming in a nutshell, I guess

NewGame

Banned
Didn't search to see if anyone posted this but would be interesting if they announce something related to the temporary lifting of China console ban.

Nevermind. It was. Still interested if they have a plan for it.

Ah ha! I see. So I guess with one billion people as an entirely new market will Nintendo begin to develop titles that appeal to the Chinese market? Wait what am I saying, I'm sure Mario is going to sell gangbusters there. Pricing isn't an issue for Chinese anymore is it? They now have a better average income yeah? I'm sure Chinese having been buying Big Macs for a while now.

Although that doesn't explain why Sony's stock dropped, and why Microsofts hasn't raised... Maybe Netflix isn't popular in China- wait no it's not available in China. But with that logic why do they sell in Australia? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then again Nintendo only produce video games. Might as well put the eggs in the basket where people put all their eggs. Eggs and eggs alone.

tassletine

It's that China opened up for console sales. it was reported widely in European newspapers. As was it that Nintendo stock is worth a lot more than Sony's right now -- who are actually in pretty bad shape (this has more to do with all their other divisions, not the ps4).

I sold my Nintendo stock last week at a tidy 53% profit. Seems likely that the recent upswing is fueled by erroneous expectations of big shake-ups and a move to mobile...

Same.

I'm quite frankly expecting the worse with Q3 and expect the stock to underperform going forward; hence, I sold my position and banked my profits. Like you, I'm potentially looking to get back in after.

I have always been interested in owning stock in a few videogame companies including Nintendo but I have no idea how I would go about buying it. I'm not interested in buying mental amounts or making money, I just think it would be cool to own a small part of them.

Any tips on how to go about it, also how hard is it to sell the stock when you don't want it anymore ?

Thanks for any info given :).

Calamari41

41 > 38
Incredibly illegal and incredibly commonplace.

Hope you are just being funny because that actually does happen

Right, of course it happens. People here are acting like huge groups of investors are being treated to official presentations behind the scenes, like an investors-only pre-conference or something. That's what I'm saying is ridiculous. Of course individuals take advantage of insider trading, but their trades don't cause big stocks like this to go up by the amounts we're seeing.

A guy like Warren Buffet can cause a stock to soar or collapse based on a single trade, but I highly doubt Nintendo has a shareholder who is both as influential as a Warren Buffet and also made a huge trade on his Nintendo stock before this major jump started.

The current uptick is because of the Console Ban lifting in China finally after 10 years. The expectation is that the most Asian and kiddie consoles will sale great in another Asian culture. They don't have a lot of Nintendo games on the China blacklist.

[citation needed]

Pyrokai

Guys, I heard the audio on that Nintendo story live on NPR's All Things Considered. If this is the story that guy is referencing about the CEO change,then there is absolutely no mention of a new CEO. In fact, the overall tone of the story was rather positive and said that Nintendo has a mostly good long-term outlook. So unless there was a breaking story that was not a part of this, I don't think anything is been announced with regards to a new CEO.

leroidys

Good plan. If I had stock I would definitely sell now.

Skyzard

Banned
+5% could be them just saying they have another wii-u price drop in time for mario kart or smash bros, or possibly nice advertising fund/marketing campaign secured as well. Or maybe something big for the 3DS.

A new CEO though? Weird, iOS/third-party related? Wii U has time. They were lazy though.

With Wii U having the possibility of being sold in China much cheaper than sony and microsoft, and Nintendo having some experience on the market with the iQUE devices, if the Wii U is officially released in China I imagine que console having a total 180 degree turn and finishing leader of this generation just because of a chinese model.

I wonder if Chinese devs jump on ship and start developing countless clones for Wii U that are actually good clones.

With Wii U having the possibility of being sold in China much cheaper than sony and microsoft, and Nintendo having some experience on the market with the iQUE devices, if the Wii U is officially released in China I imagine que console having a total 180 degree turn and finishing leader of this generation just because of a chinese model.

I wonder if Chinese devs jump on ship and start developing countless clones for Wii U that are actually good clones.

So we'll add China to the blackboard?

Tripon

It's a bigger company than Sony I read somewhere on GAF. That's mind blowing.

Nintendo currently has a larger market cap than Sony. Not having debt and paying a large dividend to investors each year will do that for you vs. having loads of debt in Sony's case, and posting losses in key divisions.

market analyst @gibbogame was posting some predictions on twitter the other day (10th), worth a read

JP broker saying company to announce change in strategy to smartphones on Jan 30th results - we disagree.
3Q results meeting called "Strategy Session and Results Meeting" but doesnt stop some think change is coming. Always called that!
#1 priority for FY3/14 was improve 3DS sales internationally...+21% YoY in 2H we estimate= done.
WiiU we now forecast 4.3m for FY3/14 down from 6.8m prior, but Dec in JP was 26x Sept levels driven by Super Mario 3D
we think mgmt will conclude software line-up is beginning to improve WiiU performance and hence no change in hardware strategy

In 3Q we estimate 3DS/Wii is driving 75% of gross profit, so WiiU miss isn't as big a drag as some expect.Forex huge benefit
we expect them to announce share buy-back of 5% of company from Yamauchi family members as they need to pay 45% inheritance tax
Nintendo has put on US$8bn in market cap in 6 months in anticipation moving to smartphones. We dont think so,downgraded to Underperform.

Oh god, I can actually see this happening after the December Media Create numbers.

Oh god, I can actually see this happening after the December Media Create numbers.

Eerily enough, so can I.

"Wii U continues to show improvement with 26x increases throughout this holiday season. Clearly with numbers like this, Wii U will turnaround and become an important pillar to Nintendo's core strategy. We look forward to maintain this momentum through the year with Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., and Legend of Zelda. Please understand."

Countries don't work like that. China is VERY different from Japan as far as video games go.

Nintendo's decade-long experimentation in China with the iQue family hasn't been all that successful for Nintendo, and physical piracy / bootlegs is extremely rampant in the country. They have an expectation of piracy. Selling Nintendo games at the equivalent of $60 may not get them very far given these circumstances.

The thousands of secret investors get secret infos on their secret investor phones (you get one for each ten shares) so they can make sophisticated decicions about their money. Happens every day.

I want a secret investor phone! I have enough money in the company to deserve one!

Would be interesting if the majority of those stocks going up was because of professional Chinese buyers. I'd be very keen to buy as many as possible if that were the case.

Top Bottom