• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK - £11m launch spend for Nintendo Wii -&- DS surges on with new £6m Xmas push

ziran

MCV

£11m launch spend for Nintendo Wii

19:45, Oct 19th by Stuart Dinsey

Nintendo has unveiled a huge launch campaign for the Wii console that will target every kind of British consumer - male or female, young or old.

Primarily utilising TV, cinema, PR and sampling, the new console will be launched with a £6.5m marketing spend between now and December and a further £4.5m spend from January to March

Wii product manager Rob Lowe said that 80 per cent of people in the UK will see the Wii TV advertising at least three times, whilst sampling will hit a million people across 70 locations.

"It is our intention to make the Wii the number one console in the UK. The campaign focuses on real people playing and having fun," added Lowe.

MCV
DS surges on with new £6m Xmas push

20:00, Oct 19th by Stuart Dinsey

Nintendo may be launching a completely new console on December 8th, but there will be no weakening of focus on the strident DS handheld.

Over £6m will be spent promoting the DS between now and Christmas, with a further 1m units of hardware being shipped in that time - taking total installed base in the UK to 2.7m units.

"There will be even more clear water between the DS and any rival handheld console," commented Nintendo's UK sales director Andy Yates.

"We're now outselling the competition by two to one. Nobody in retail or publishing should be backing the wrong horse right now."

DS advertsing has been good in the UK, hopefully Nintendo has some equally good stuff lined up for Wii.

Edit - If the Wii ads end up being similar to the recent videos of people playing the console on the official sites, which it sounds like, it's a great move.

Mato

This is very good news, I'm glad to see Nintendo being so serious and confident about this. I'm sure the advertizing will pay off in the long run.

i see NDS adverts everywhere when i'm driving around... not so much on tv though. can't wait to see the wii getting the same treatment.

jdforge

Banned
Nintendo have taken out HUGE DS Ads, all over Belfast, of all places.

They have placed them mainly around the Westlink, which is the main Motorway through the city (around 70,000 vehicles per day), and on all throughfares into the City Centre. There is an especially good one, just outside BBC HQ.

Well, from Spain point of view, English Training is receiving a LOT of tv advertising. I have seen the (hilarious) ads a few times.

Animal Crossing also got a new ad, very better than the last one. Brain Training and Big Brain Academy were heavily promoted as well, I was a little dissapointed with New Super Mario Bros because it wasn't promoted that much, or at least, I didn't see its ad so many times.

Taker666

Nice to see the DS marketing continue...just a shame they are releasing hardly any major new software titles in Europe this Christmas.

ziran

Mato said:
This is very good news, I'm glad to see Nintendo being so serious and confident about this. I'm sure the advertizing will pay off in the long run.
yeah, it's very encouraging. i think if people see ads similar to those on the wii site, they will understand what the console's about.

Frankfurter said:
They wanna ship 1m units for the UK alone....? From 1.7m to 2.7m in sth. like 10 weeks?
it's an impressive number and shows confidence from nintendo uk, but they had shortages last year and ds sw continues to sell well in the charts so the hw must be doing pretty well even now.

Jokeropia said:
makes me wonder if one of those guys is gaybrush...

Rocked

There's a HUGE Brain Training advert in the big HMV store on Oxford Street that you see when you go up the lift. It's the biggest game advert I've ever seen. :-o

hadareud

The Translator
is £11 million alot for marketing? It doesn't sound alot.

One TV commercial could cost around that much I think.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Aye, DS advertising is everywhere at the moment. I rarely go a day without seeing a DS game ad on the TV, and ads in other media seem to be appearing more regularly. First really big push for a Nintendo system in the UK for quite some time.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
hadareud said:

Maybe I'm wrong.

Nintendo's marketting budget in the UK for Gamecube seemed to be 50p, so £11 million is quite a step up.

hadareud said:

Maybe I'm wrong.

Are you insane? £11,000,000 for one commercial?!?! £11mill = $20.6mill you can make half a season of Battlestar for that :D

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm sure i'm not the only person in this country thats hearing a crazy amount of excited word of mouth about Wii coming from totally unlikely sources.

They could really have this place by the balls come January.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
hadareud said:

Maybe I'm wrong.

You can get UK TV ads spots from around £3K, the most expensive spot ever being around £1.3M

Cosmonaut X said:
Aye, DS advertising is everywhere at the moment. I rarely go a day without seeing a DS game ad on the TV, and ads in other media seem to be appearing more regularly. First really big push for a Nintendo system in the UK for quite some time.

The DS association could help Wii. DS has breathed a new life into the company in many respects. The non-hardcore would especially be prone to buying a Wii

My favoutite NOE advert has to be the one with a pondering Chris Tarrent, with "Do you train your Brain like Chris?" next to him. Something about that image cracks me up.

Nintendo have been doing a much better job in the UK lately. And to think; all it took was advertising, like people have said for years!

hadareud

The Translator
Captain AHat said:
Are you insane? £11,000,000 for one commercial?!?! £11mill = $20.6mill you can make half a season of Battlestar for that.
well I'm not talking about airing it once am I. I am also not talking about showing it at 3 in the morning in between two tit commercials either.

Of course I was exaggerating, but 11 million does not sound alot for a company like Nintendo for a product launch like this.

xhadoukenx said:
You can get UK TV ads spots from around £3K, the most expensive spot ever being around £1.3M
cool, thanks. So they won't target prime time I suppose.

jdforge

Banned
xhadoukenx said:
I'm sure i'm not the only person in this country thats hearing a crazy amount of excited word of mouth about Wii coming from totally unlikely sources.

They could really have this place by the balls come January.

Yip - I know exactly what you mean. Almost over night, Nintendo blitzed Belfast with DS adverts. They are EVERYWHERE. And all massive.

The DS ad's are mostly of a family (Mum, Dad, Son & Daughter) all with their own DS. I will be in town tomorrow, and might take a picture on my phone cam. It's so surreal to see Nintendo advertising to this proportion in Northern Ireland. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

Nintendo's pan-european marketing for Gamecube was €100 million. Thats 15+ countries I believe. Oh and this is 2002/3. I don't know how the Euro has improved since then.

This is €16 million just for the UK. I don't know if thats a good thing or what. I can't tell. The article certainly makes it sound like its a lot.

Microsoft spent $100 million (€79 million) on the Xbox 360 worldwide launch if that helps put it in perspective. The christmas push for North America, Europe and Japan.

The Gamecube was advertised well initially. Its launch was the UKs most successful at the time... NOE just got weaker on the marketing after a while (can you remember any other adverts other than the people-in-big-cubes ones from 2002/3?), and they were too slow to respond to good moves from the Xbox team. Its like they came out swinging but ended up on the back foot.

Rocked

needlejuice said:
Yip - I know exactly what you mean. Almost over night, Nintendo blitzed Belfast with DS adverts. They are EVERYWHERE. And all massive.

The DS ad's are mostly of a family (Mum, Dad, Son & Daughter) all with their own DS. I will be in town tomorrow, and might take a picture on my phone cam. It's so surreal to see Nintendo advertising to this proportion in Northern Ireland. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

Even in London the amount of advertising from Nintendo this year is surreal. :lol I'd like to see a pic of the advert.

chase

DS gets advertised like crazy here. It gets 'sponsored by' on a ton of shows between 8pm-11pm and Brain Training gets pushed like no tomorrow. I'm sick of Chris Tarant.

I am from the UK too. And yes there are a lot of commercials on TV for the DS. Even popular programs have a small "sponsored by Nintendo DS" logo in the bottom right corner. In my opinion these little sponsors were a waste, but the proper commercials are on quite often. The BT ads here use Chris Tarrant. Now for those that don't know, Chris Tarrant is quite the household name. He is the most popular Radio presenter, and has been for a long time. He is also the presenter for our "Who wants to be a millionaire". The thing about the ads is that they are too quick, I don't think the older generation would know exactly what its about, its like 30 sec, it should be 1min+. That way it would explained a bit more.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
the thoroughbred said:
I am from the UK too. And yes there are a lot of commercials on TV for the DS. Even popular programs have a small "sponsored by Nintendo DS" logo in the bottom right corner. In my opinion these little sponsors were a waste, but the proper commercials are on quite often. The BT ads here use Chris Tarrant. Now for those that don't know, Chris Tarrant is quite the household name. He is the most popular Radio presenter, and has been for a long time. He is also the presenter for our "Who wants to be a millionaire". The thing about the ads is that they are too quick, I don't think the older generation would know exactly what its about, its like 30 sec, it should be 1min+. That way it would explained a bit more.

I think the sponsoring of all Channel 4's comedy was a good move actually.

Apart from the exposure of something being on all the time, there's always some comedy programme on 4 each night, it's changed Nintendo's image a bit.

Anything that ends up associated with Darkplace can only be seen as cool :)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the thoroughbred said:
The BT ads here use Chris Tarrant. Now for those that don't know, Chris Tarrant is quite the household name. He is the most popular Radio presenter, and has been for a long time. He is also the presenter for our "Who wants to be a millionaire".

This includes a 40ft high poster in the flagship Virgin Megastores on Oxford street.

Nash said:
I think the sponsoring of all Channel 4's comedy was a good move actually.

Apart from the exposure of something being on all the time, there's always some comedy programme on 4 each night, it's changed Nintendo's image a bit.

Anything that ends up associated with Darkplace can only be seen as cool :)

It's been a very good move. I especially liked when they synced up ads for Trauma Center with Green Wing.

The Chris Tarrant/Brain Training ads are pretty good, but they've suffered from appearing at exactly the moment his public image took a heavy knock.

For anyone not in the UK, Tarrant is a pretty popular TV presenter and is probably best known as the host of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" IIRC, one of the ads that was getting a lot of airtime had him forgetting his wife's birthday and using BT to help improve his memory. Unfortunately, this ad was running at the same time that it became public that he'd been having an affair and he was to separate from his wife. Rather awkward timing, and the ad quickly dropped out of circulation to be replaced by another in the series :D

Cosmonaut X said:
The Chris Tarrant/Brain Training ads are pretty good, but they've suffered from appearing at exactly the moment his public image took a heavy knock.

For anyone not in the UK, Tarrant is a pretty popular TV presenter and is probably best known as the host of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" IIRC, one of the ads that was getting a lot of airtime had him forgetting his wife's birthday and using BT to help improve his memory. Unfortunately, this ad was running at the same time that it became public that he'd been having an affair and he was to separate from his wife. Rather awkward timing, and the ad quickly dropped out of circulation to be replaced by another in the series :D

I remember people from Nintendo saying "Hey, it's only helped sell Brain Training, we're gonna keep going with it!".

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
will be interesting to see how much Wii exposure there is, and if their promotions attract the attention of many of my casual gamer friends who only think of "xbox" and "ps2"

hadareud said:
Maybe I'm wrong.

yes

xhadoukenx said:

you're not. Not only is my mother (50s) pestering the family to get her a DS Lite and Brain Training but my father (60s) is asking me about Wii after a friend sent him the link to the Wii Experience videos. He bought the original Pong and all the original Game & Watch titles back in the day, he introduced me to gaming when he bought me a NES, so I guess he is an ex-gamer in the true old-skool sense.

my parents might end up owning Nintendo's latest handheld and home console before any of their kids. i still can't quite understand how i'll be happy getting books or clothes for christmas and my mum will be happy with a videogame console...wtf is going on?

It is great to see ninty try here now, i guess the early days of ds sales without much pushing of the system showed them they could do a shit load better if they ran ads on tv and mags. I just hope my wii preorder wasnt showing too much faith in noe with regards release dates and prog scan.

ziran

radioheadrule83 said:
Nintendo's pan-european marketing for Gamecube was €100 million. Thats 15+ countries I believe. Oh and this is 2002/3. I don't know how the Euro has improved since then.

This is €16 million just for the UK. I don't know if thats a good thing or what. I can't tell. The article certainly makes it sound like its a lot.

Microsoft spent $100 million (€79 million) on the Xbox 360 worldwide launch if that helps put it in perspective. The christmas push for North America, Europe and Japan.

The Gamecube was advertised well initially. Its launch was the UKs most successful at the time... NOE just got weaker on the marketing after a while (can you remember any other adverts other than the people-in-big-cubes ones from 2002/3?), and they were too slow to respond to good moves from the Xbox team. Its like they came out swinging but ended up on the back foot.
yeah, it's after the launch nintendo needs to keep up the advertising and releases. i think they could gain good home console marketshare if they do. giving europeans the wii play bundle so early is a promising start.

Screenboy

hadareud said:

Maybe I'm wrong.

its like spending $20m on somewhere the size of Florida.

hadareud

The Translator
Screenboy said:
its like spending $20m on somewhere the size of Florida.
thanks, I am aware of the size and conversion rate - I am living here :lol

good that I was wrong though. it is however scary how much tv commercials cost if you want to air them in prime time.

Rocked

Nintendo said Brain Training sales have gone up in the UK since the scandal!

F#A#Oo

Banned
hadareud said:
cool, thanks. So they won't target prime time I suppose.

They have with the DS, doubt that will change with the Wii. The thing with Nintendo's marketing is that they choose when to air their adverts with what they think is the right audience that will be watching TV.

It's not some random choice...

jdforge

Banned
Rocked said:
I'd like to see a pic of the advert.

Here you go. There are 6 of these in Belfast.

dsbelfastnw1.jpg

Apologies for image quality. Picture was taken on my K800i and without much prep time, as I didn't want to be seen standing on the streets of Belfast taking pictures of an advertising board.

But on my walkthrough Belfast today, I saw 6 of these.

HMV had a Wii Preorder stand, GAME had Wii posters everywhere, and Gamestop had similar. Argos and Currys were also running Wii preorder campaigns.

I’ve seen that Nintendo will be running adverts on most of the secondary channels (CH4, CH5, Sky one and more) but that they’ll be running 60 sec ad’s in major TV Xmas family film spots as well as during the X-Factor final (Looking at 15m+ audience) plus Coronation Street Specials (Major UK Soap Opera, looking again at 15m+ audience) with a 60second slot in a 3-4minute time frame!!
This is a massive slot to have in the run up to xmas, probably the 2 biggest slots money can buy in the UK outside of sports events

pswii60

The real interesting thing now is how will MS react in the UK?

I would say MS's marketing for the 360 has been rather weak. There has been a lot of cinema advertising which IMO is a bit of a waste as the adverts were blatantly done on the cheap. Also, TV adverts have been few and far between, with only Saints Row having had aggresive advertising.

There have been no bill-board or bus stop or bus adverts, something which MS did well with the original XBOX, and now Nintendo seem to be doing well with at the moment.

I get the feeling MS don't want to saturate and peak by advertising too soon and are saving their marketing budget for when other consoles are launching. Will be interesting to see what happens on the run up to XMAS when Viva Pinata and Gears of War are released.

ziran

needlejuice said:
Here you go. There are 6 of these in Belfast.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5895/dsbelfastnw1.jpg

Apologies for image quality. Picture was taken on my K800i and without much prep time, as I didn't want to be seen standing on the streets of Belfast taking pictures of an advertising board.

But on my walkthrough Belfast today, I saw 6 of these.

HMV had a Wii Preorder stand, GAME had Wii posters everywhere, and Gamestop had similar. Argos and Currys were also running Wii preorder campaigns.
great pic, thanks.

DefectiveReject said:
I’ve seen that Nintendo will be running adverts on most of the secondary channels (CH4, CH5, Sky one and more) but that they’ll be running 60 sec ad’s in major TV Xmas family film spots as well as during the X-Factor final (Looking at 15m+ audience) plus Coronation Street Specials (Major UK Soap Opera, looking again at 15m+ audience) with a 60second slot in a 3-4minute time frame!!
This is a massive slot to have in the run up to xmas, probably the 2 biggest slots money can buy in the UK outside of sports events
that's a really big push!

hopefully nintendo can capitalise on the success of ds and eyetoy, buzz, singstar, etc, aswell as capturing some more current gamers.

LOCK

Nintendo don't forget about America!!!

Though I have been seeing tons of commercials lately. And new ones for old games as well.

Top Bottom