• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: AC Syndicate launch lowest of any AC except Rogue

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Time to give it a rest for 2-3 years Ubisoft.

With the Assassin's Creed movie hitting theaters on 12-21-2016, there's no chance at all that Ubisoft will delay the next game. I think the next game will get a huge advertising budget in order to promote not just the game but the movie too.

And this is the one set in London...

Wonder how many years the series has got. Ubisoft is probably hoping The Division performs like Destiny.

And this is the one set in London...

Wonder how many years the series has got

If they take a break now, cycle in two other series' like Watch Dogs and Prince of Persia, AssCreed can and will recover to become the series it once was.

The annual release is the only problem, the core gameplay is still pretty fun when you get down to it. It just needs a break.

ogbg

If they take a break now, cycle in two other series' like Watch Dogs and Prince of Persia, AssCreed can and will recover to become the series it once was.

The annual release is the only problem, the core gameplay is still pretty fun when you get down to it. It just needs a break.

Considering the next one has been in development for 2 years I doubt that's going to happen. Maybe the one after the one after next will take a break sine they won't have started it yet.

EpicBox

Fallout fucking 4 is out next month. And Star Wars fucking Battlefront.

And the month after, Just Cause fucking 3.

These are sequels that don't come along that often. Who the hell would be hyped for another annualised game?

These are sequels that don't come along that often. Who the hell would be hyped for another annualised game?

Minus all the fucking, yeah this is how I feel. It's just hard to be excited for the same game with a few tweaks. Syndicate looks okay, but there are too many games that hardly ever get releases that I'm more excited about. If they bumped the releases to every 2-3 years I'd find myself more excited to play, but as it is I just don't feel any drive to want to play another AC. Absence makes the heart grow fonder Ubi.

Assassin's Creed III came out around Halo 4, Far Cry 3, and New Super Mario Bros. U and it did fine

danm999

Coming off of Unity

Franchise fatigue.

PC version not releasing day and date (though I can't pretend PC retail would be much).

Kind of unsurprising this one performs poorly.

Got to love that drop off after III.

People are simply getting tired of it. Plus the bad game / good game ratio is pretty much 50:50 at best.

Lots of things slowly adding up. Its going to take more then some OK assassins creed ass assassins creed games like syndicate to bounce back. Franchise needs a new direction all together.

QaaQer

That was due to the split generation launch (the 360/PS3 versions came out earlier). AC4 ended up selling 11+ million copies versus AC3's 12.5 million

So how badly will I be punished by the hivemind for pushing the narrative that most people liked ac3 because of the small drop off; and that a big chunk of people didn't like BF because of the big drop off between it and Unity? Or was it Rogue's fault? Forum posters? Reviewers?

I like my narrative because III, imo, is the penultimate AssCreed game--full of risk and ambition-- while IV made me play a wisecracking murdering douche and shat on the modern day storyline.

this series has so much potential but it gets treated primarily as a cash cow, im not oppose to making money but if there are only dollar bills motivating you and not any heart or passion it really shows, these studios get assassin's creed dumped onto them by ubisoft and are expected to churn it out in 2-3 years, that's not a whole lot of time for a game of this size to be able to focus on tight mechanics/player movement, level design and ai, while taking some risks, the biggest risk they took with this series was the ship combat in 3 and most people loved it, i get the feeling that the people working on this game are either instructed or forced due to time constraints to just make the game "good enough" and not "perfect"

No idea. As much as he was an apologist for anything Ubisoft-related he was at least polite and willing to engage discussions.

2874776-1385.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is why I feel bad for devs on a rotating team schedule for annualized releases. The game after the one that sucks is the one to suffer, regardless of quality.

Muffdraul

Too bad, but that's what you get with annual releases of questionable quality, and repeated PR boners. The real shame of it is, Syndicate is the best AC in ages.

Bedlam

Well, it's the easy and proven formula: make a shit game and sales will drop for the follow-up game (even if it's better).

Capcom is in for a surprise with Resident Evil 7, too.

eshwaaz

It's a shame since the game turned out shockingly good, but it's also not at all a surprise.

Too bad, but that's what you get with annual releases of questionable quality, and repeated PR boners. The real shame of it is, Syndicate is the best AC in ages.
Totally agree. I'm having a great time with Syndicate, but I can certainly understand why sales are down. It was bound to happen at some point.

dr_rus

Got to love that drop off after III.

People are simply getting tired of it. Plus the bad game / good game ratio is pretty much 50:50 at best.

Lots of things slowly adding up. Its going to take more then some OK assassins creed ass assassins creed games like syndicate to bounce back. Franchise needs a new direction all together.
Franchise needs to go on a long hiatus. They should create a new IP in its place. Nothing will save AC at this point but a long pause with a reboot in five or ten years.

Top Bottom