• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Charts: Physical game sales plunge 43%

Bullet Club

UK Charts: Physical game sales plunge 43%

Final Fantasy VII Remake tumbles to No.4

The sales of boxed games in the UK dropped by 43% week-on-week as the lockdown situation continues.

The boxed games market has seen a surge in sales over the previous four weeks, with 1.5 million games sold as a result of consumers buying up games to play during lockdown. Some of this has been driven by a sharp increase in console sales, with PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch all spiking in popularity, and many of these consoles were sold with software.

However, that initial surge is showing signs of abating, with just over 200,000 games sold in the UK last week, compared with more than 350,000 the week before.

Despite the drop, 200,000 is still ahead of how the market was performing before coronavirus restrictions were put in place (around 150,000 games were selling every week during February and early March). It's also worth noting that there were no new releases last week, plus there have been stock shortages of Nintendo Switch consoles.

Indeed, the stock shortages of Nintendo Switch can be seen in the performance of its games this week. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (No.2) is down 42% week-on-week, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (No.7) is down 62%, and Luigi's Mansion 3 (No.9) is down 9%.

The one exception is Ring Fit Adventure. Nintendo's sold out fitness game was available briefly via GAME, Amazon and ShopTo, and as a result it increased 12% in sales week-on-week and rises to No.10 (a small quantity of stock also arrived the week before).

The best-selling game of the week was FIFA 20, which jumped from No.4 to No.1 despite a 25% drop in sales week-on-week.

Last week's big new release was Final Fantasy VII Remake, which suffered coronavirus-related distribution challenges and didn't sell as many boxed copies as you might expect from a major Final Fantasy launch. Unfortunately, the situation hasn't improved in its second week, with sales down 87% and the Square Enix title now sits at No.4.

The only new game in the charts is Cooking Mama: Cookstar, which actually launched the week before but didn't make the Top 40. The Switch game enters the charts at No.35.

Here is the GfK Top Ten for the week ending April 18th

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
41FIFA 20
32Animal Crossing: New Horizons
23Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
34Final Fantasy 7: Remake
85Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
96Grand Theft Auto 5
57Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
78Resident Evil 3
169Luigi's Mansion 3
1025Ring Fit Adventure

Source: Game Industry

That's because every online Game shop decided to INCREASE the prices of Switch/PS4/Xbox games to take advantage of the whole "Stay at Home" epidemic. (Of course buying the physical games at Shops is impossible as well).

A lot of Nintendo games online are now hovering at £45/50 rather than £40/45. The greedy idiots. (Shops, not Nintendo)

Digital likely either grew because of this or stayed the same, making the sales of Digital looking better.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
All the X Box X's went up in price by £100 just as the American market's went down.

I was on the verge of buttering my bread both sides as well.

ROMhack

i haven't bought a physical game in the last... 7 years. steam and gog all the way~

Understandable because PC has an actual market for digital games. With consoles you're stuck on one infrastructure -- the console's respective stores -- making choice rather non-existent by comparison.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm happy to pay <£20 for a digital game. More than that and I'd rather have a box.

Last edited:

ROMhack

It honestly blows my mind that the UK still buys FIFA in droves. Any football fans surely would own that by now.

As that guy in Deus Ex said, it's all about the numbers. FIFA regularly sells 10 million+ copies each year in the UK alone. Games like FFXV (using it as a basis because FFVIIR is too new) would do well to sell that much worldwide.

So unless everybody is buying FIFA Day 1, which they aren't, it will always regularly sell across the year. It's always helped by it being available in supermarkets all year round and going on sale at key times (Christmas, Spring, etc).

Granted if the UK had a more rounded approach to sales, such as there being a wider selection of games available in supermarkets - easily the number one place people buy them these days - then the figure might be more even.

However, If you're asking why people buy FIFA at all then you're overlooking the popularity of the UK's most popular sport, which it is for good reason. Come on United!

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Who woulda thought sports games were popular ay?

:messenger_expressionless:

The most popular game in all the country after 7 months release?
No I wouldnt think its that popular when the game hasnt been improved in years.

Hence dumb people buy dumb games....

The most popular game in all the country after 7 months release?
No I wouldnt think its that popular when the game hasnt been improved in years.

Hence dumb people buy dumb games....
Football is new religion for Brits now, not christianity. Nobody goes to church but stadiums are packed week after week like little braindead 🐑 they are. Biggest teams are owned by oil-rich Arabs or American billionaires (not like in Spain or Germany where clubs are owned by their fans/members). Players are earning grotesque amounts of money because it is so much popular. Betting is rampant, team following is like a cult, literally. People organize their lives around following their 200K-a-week players.

Coronavirus, I think, will open the eyes of so many people about absurdities of sports industry. I really hope.

JimboJones

Football is new religion for Brits now, not christianity. Nobody goes to church but stadiums are packed week after week like little braindead 🐑 they are. Biggest teams are owned by oil-rich Arabs or American billionaires (not like in Spain or Germany where clubs are owned by their fans/members). Players are earning grotesque amounts of money because it is so much popular. Betting is rampant, team following is like a cult, literally. People organize their lives around following their 200K-a-week players.

Coronavirus, I think, will open the eyes of so many people about absurdities of sports industry. I really hope.
To be fair to them at least sport is entertaining.
Religion is a bit naff.

FranXico

That's because every online Game shop decided to INCREASE the prices of Switch/PS4/Xbox games to take advantage of the whole "Stay at Home" epidemic. (Of course buying the physical games at Shops is impossible as well).

A lot of Nintendo games online are now hovering at £45/50 rather than £40/45. The greedy idiots. (Shops, not Nintendo)

Digital likely either grew because of this or stayed the same, making the sales of Digital looking better.
Ain't that the truth. I saw FFVIIR on sale online for 80 euros FFS.

Kokoloko85

I know dude. I live in the Uk lol.
I hope so too, totally agree on the braindead 🐑

BluRayHiDef

Banned
i dont get it, digital cost more and no resell value.
Yesterday I bought three games digitally: Days Gone, Death Stranding, and God of War. Having to fiddle through my media cabinet for games is tedious, and I don't have to deal with that in regard to digital copies. Having said that, when it comes to high definition and ultra high definition movies, I always buy physical copies, because they come with free digital copies anyway, they have higher bitrates, and they are less compressed.

Virex

Banned
Let's hope Covid helps kill off physical finally.

6jobAqe.jpg

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

I mean.. most also closed their doors.

People really underestimate how many games (and other items) are sold because people wander into stores and just buy shit.

Roufianos

I was trying all week to find FF VII in stock online. I ended up paying £52 for it off ebay, second hand. Huge rip off but better than paying £60 on the store.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why? Do you think your digital games will end up cheaper or something? Not going to happen.
I think it will help in price. Not saying game prices are coming down, but rather sales will be better if they don't have to worry about retail.

Also I just think the drive is a huge waste of space in these consoles. The fact that physical games are now simply just license keys and nothing is playable without downloading a patch, I just don't see the point in physical.

Let it die already.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think it will help in price. Not saying game prices are coming down, but rather sales will be better if they don't have to worry about retail.

Also I just think the drive is a huge waste of space in these consoles. The fact that physical games are now simply just license keys and nothing is playable without downloading a patch, I just don't see the point in physical.

Let it die already.

lol.. sales will be better if they ditch a format about half of their customers still prefer? The format that puts your products inside stores for people to see? The format still used most for gifts, a big deal for games particularly in the busy holiday season?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member

What is there to worry about?

Also I just think the drive is a huge waste of space in these consoles

How small do you want a console to be? It's not like you'd be carrying around everywhere? (Apart from a Switch perhaps)

JimboJones

What is there to worry about?
Stores can force price parity on digital stores by not stocking certain games, reallocating advertising etc.

That was the argument I've heard I dunno how true it is these days with brick and mortar continued weakening position.

Top Bottom