• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will probably be him if Rudd loses her seat and even then.

I give him one thing, speaks his mind at least.

that's kind of the problem, he's fucking bulletproof even though he's a massive twat and flaunts it

politics can't function with those kind of people in it. just look at America

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Why did May declare the GE in the first place?
What was the goal if the already had a solid majority to get anything done?

She wanted an absolutely huge majority so that she could have an essentially free hand to go into Brexit negotiations without having any of that pesky democratic oversight making sure she got a good deal.

aeolist

Banned
It's less that he 'needs to be in power' (although he'd be better than the Tories), more that there's going to need to be a lot of crow getting eaten if he's proven to not be the total electoral anthrax that the media and even members of his own fucking party have been telling people he was for the last 18 months.

it's almost as if the people who claim to be arbiters of conventional political wisdom are self-serving scumbags, complete idiots, or both

openrob

Popularity contest
She wanted an absolutely huge majority so that she could have an essentially free hand to go into Brexit negotiations without having any of that pesky democratic oversight making sure she got a good deal.
Or this - this is a much better explanation lol

Her majority was slim, and she was having trouble with backbenchers threaten to rebel on votes. So her thought was she'd get a majority large enough to absorb any such rebellions.

This may have totally backfired.

So is the left party winning in the UK and the country is showing some sanity?

Nope, Conservatives are still "winning" but not winning enough to ensure they have a majority of seats in parliament. The left (Labour) is potentially close enough that it will lead to a hung parliament - a tie of sorts. At that point many things could happen to resolve the tie.

It's a kind of sanity though, yes. But still self-sabotage. A hung parliament is undoubtedly bad for the country, but a lot of us are happy with it because we know this pursuit for a hard Brexit would likely cause considerable long term damage. A short term hung parliament is worth it if we can avoid a hard Brexit as a result. Conservatives gambled on the UK being mostly happy with Brexit today, but has only proven that it's still a hugely dividing issue.

jelly

What does that mean? Sorry, probably a basic question, but my knowledge of Brit policy is only in passing

It just means his media empire backed the Conservatives and in the UK that usually means the party dances to his tune so he basically holds power over them. Whether you believe it's that clear cut, up to you. There is some truth to it because the paper rags can cause a lot of bother for politicians or help them stay on message.

Sean C

She didn't really have a solid majority for the purposes of all the tough Brexit-related stuff coming. The polls indicated she would demolish the opposition, and it would also allow her to push the next election after that back by two years, which is helpful since Brexit likely means choppy waters ahead.

Corbyn's chances against Boris would be better than against May, right? I don't think Boris physically can portray himself as even vaguely strong or stable, for one.

I don't think Boris can debate.

He is probably too much of the things that people have soured towards in modern politics.

If we have another election in October..don't know how much things would change but can't imagine Labour wouldn't make more gains. Boris would be very prone to insulting a minority. Or religion. Or country.

gngf123

She thought that winning an election herself and increasing her majority would give her a mandate for handling the EU negotiations and pushing through controversial policies with less resistance.

She gambled on that chance. It backfired.

I'm starting to think the real winners after tonight will be the people who voted Remain.

Them, and every left leaning party activist out to try and drum up some actual motivation from the general public. We're not all ready to be shafted by the Tories it seems.

Also, Drink No. 11!!!
And No. 12!!!!

Edit: And Drink No. 13! Because I can't post again yet!

Fucking glitch in the Matrix or what.
On 2nd May 1997 I took the day off work and played Tomb Raider while listening to the Major government get booted out of office on the BBC world service.
Today I'm home from work so I've booted up RotTR just in case.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Shame about Swindon South (Lab according to YouGov).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom