• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Government wants your input/experience to decide whether loot boxes should be regulated

cormack12

Gold Member

Respond here: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/loot-boxes-in-video-games-call-for-evidence

It will seek the experiences of players and their parents or guardians as well as rigorous, high quality data and research from video games companies, academia, civil society as well as any other organisations with an interest in this issue.

The findings will give the government a clearer understanding of the size of the loot box and in-game purchases market in the UK, how it operates, and the impact of current protections such as parental controls and consumer regulations.

The government stands ready to take action should the outcomes of the call for evidence support taking a new approach to ensure users, and particularly young people, are better protected. Loot boxes will be considered alongside a review of the Gambling Act.

Oh hell no.

People really want the big government bodies to start regulating gaming? This will only end in disaster even if one good thing comes out of it. You can't even trust these people with your own personal info so why in the hell would people trust them to regulate their favourite hobby?

That and the UK government is beyond incompetent, i should know i live here.

lukilladog

No game of chance designed to suck your money should receive exceptions, and the types specifically targeted to young people should be the highest regulated IMO.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
They shouldn't.
But apparently trading personal responsibility and freedom of choice in lieu of temporarily dropping Activition's stocks by 3% is just too enticing of a proposition, I guess.

Last edited:
I’ve responded already. My view is they should not be allowed in video games at all.

If they are to be, no real money should be allowed to be used. It should be earned through in game actions.

EA and FUT are shady as fuck. Can’t transfer players between games so it forces you to buy packs year after year. Terrible practice I hope dies.

GametimeUK

I'm going to separate my opinion of lootboxes in general (which like many others isn't positive) from if they should be regulated.

If I am being super honest and I know this comparison has been thrown around, but I don't see much of a difference between the lootboxes and sticker packs / Pokémon cards when I was a kid. It's just in a digital form. I don't see it as gambling necessarily, but if it's because there's an element of chance involved, then sticker packs / Pokémon cards shouldn't be sold as blind bags either. The stickers and cards should be sold individually.

brian0057

Banned
> Government in 1999: "Rock music and violent videogames should be regulated. Think of the children!"

> Gamers: "Fuck you. It's the parents job to take care of what their kids are doing, not the government."

> Government in 2020: "Loot boxes and microtransactions should be regulated. Think of the children!"

> Also gamers: "Actually, that's not a bad idea. We must protect the children. Oh, daddy goverment, please save us from our own stupid decisions."

Time is a flat circle.

Last edited:
I'm going to separate my opinion of lootboxes in general (which like many others isn't positive) from if they should be regulated.

If I am being super honest and I know this comparison has been thrown around, but I don't see much of a difference between the lootboxes and sticker packs / Pokémon cards when I was a kid. It's just in a digital form. I don't see it as gambling necessarily, but if it's because there's an element of chance involved, then sticker packs / Pokémon cards shouldn't be sold as blind bags either. The stickers and cards should be sold individually.
Actually a good point... Why isn't Pokemon criticised for this? I spent an untold amount of money on them to get the same cards over and over again.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Don't like them, don't buy them. Simple. People need to learn to take some personal responsibility for their actions. Anyone wishing for government intervention has no idea what they're getting themselves into.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Government regulation is not needed. What happens when they regulate the content of the games themselves?

Market forces work. The bad micros fall flat on their face like Battlefront II, the acceptable ones thrive like Rainbow Six and Modern Warfare 2019. Let the market sort this out.

If your concern is that they are "predatory" then take a long hard look in the mirror. Take responsibility for your actions and be an actual parent to your children.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No cash-out, so not gambling in my book.

Its exploitative and uses basic psychology to fleece the gullible, but that doesn't make it gambling.

Great Hair

Banned
What a stupid government. They clearly do not give a fuck.

How lazy can a parliament be of 200 congress men and woman, politicians with a gun pointed to their heads (lobbyist) ;... just fucking get a PC and do some tests, create a independent "division" with the sole purpose of controlling and meticulously analyzing games, giving them a rating .... oh wait.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Forget your big government Bs you have a bunch of old farts that no zero about gaming. Get rid of this loot box crap.

If your sick of EA launching games like Anthem where it doesn't work but hey the shop does then help them out. Just look at the state of the sports games under EA full of this shit and nothing added to the overall game. Madden 20 had Madden 19 ad boards in the background because MUT makes all the money no need to change shit . Look at that NBA 2k trailer with all the gambling options.

Take a look a Breakpoint another title were the shop works just fine but the game is a buggy mess. Gaming is still a no no to these people they're out of date and have no clue giving them a hand isn't all that bad. You swear it'll become like china or something lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom