• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer: Mario Kart 8 Last Chance for WiiU

ASIS

Frankly the Wii U has no chance.

Fixed. Nintendo's blue ocean strategy was a long term failure, those people have moved on.

Blue ocean was never meant to be a long term strategy. Even Nintendo was aware of this. They called their strategy the disruption strategy or something. Basically, it was about raising awareness for people who are not familiar with games, convert them, and then attain them. Blue ocean was only the first step and it was a great success. The other two are where Ninty fumbled circa 2009-2010 and lost their audience.

Anyway, Mario Kart will not stand a chance to revitalize the Wii U. I've long said that we need to time to surely judge the situation of the console, I say now we have more than enough data to determine its fate, and it ain't pretty.

I know what that post was saying. What I'm saying is that the Wii U wasn't following that same blue ocean strategy. Its almost the complete opposite of what the Wii was aiming for.

I don't know if Nintendo would have fared any better if all they did was make a better Wiimote and a new HD console. Capturing a new audience is a very risky move, because holding on to them is difficult. So yeah its hard to pull off long term success.
It would have, the Wii U should have been an evolution of the original Wii, not trying to replicate it with a different idea.

Mario Kart only became a really big thing with DS.

Thing is it also seems to be a game that people will buy if they have the system but not necessarily buy the system for. People bough MKDS and Wii but they already had the system.

A better reference would be MK7 that was actually outsold by 3DLand.

Uh... what?

Mario Kart 64 was the second best-selling game for the Nintendo 64, right behind Super Mario 64.

Double-Dash 2nd, right after Melee.

Super is 3rd, after Mario World and DKC.

Mario Kart has always been a huge franchise, one of Nintendo's biggest.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I think the retailer is talking about the last chance before they'll no longer stock Wii U. Unfortunately MK8 will not deliver. Maybe if MK came out last holiday season with a price drop it could've survived. The last chance for Wii U to be relevant passed holiday 2013. Now it will be a struggle to even hit 20 million units.

Top Bottom