• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK:TF's first week sales on XB1 is more than the double amount TF2 sold on PS4&XB1

le.phat

Think it's misleading to solely blame release date. MS marketing went into overdrive and they done a good job of telling all that TF1 will change your life. I don't think I've seen anything quite like the marketing TF received since.

Exactly. These numbers suck, but it's not so much due to EA's admittedly poor release schedule, as it is due to the extreme hype generated around the E3 reveal of the first title, and the media spectacle that MS made out of said reveal.

Nheco

EA sales planning dept:

0zNlpv9.jpg

Moze

Banned
Does a full week of sales matter that much? Surely the vast majority of people buying week 1 would have pre ordered?

It was a brand new IP console exclusive to MS, this is hardly surprising.

although, PC (2%) < 1,000
Is this trying to say a thousand units sold? because I saw 113,000 people in Bounty Hunt playlist last night on PC.

TF2 is fantastic.

Kordelle

The first game being a mediocre Xbone exclusive pretty much killed the chances for any sequels to succeed.

Why would PlayStation players care about a sequel to a game they never played? Why would Xbox gamers care about a sequel to a limp multiplayer-only game? If you want to start a franchise in this day and age, you need to make a high-quality first entry. It's not like the 360 era where gamers are so desperate for HD graphics that franchises like Assassin's Creed can spring from a shit debut game.
Titanfall was mediocre? lol

Jack cw

Wow, that is terrible.
This in between BF1 and CoD was basically last years problem with Tomb Raider.
Sad for Respawn because word here is that at least SP is really good.

Chris1

The first game being a mediocre Xbone exclusive pretty much killed the chances for any sequels to succeed.

Why would PlayStation players care about a sequel to a game they never played? Why would Xbox gamers care about a sequel to a limp multiplayer-only game? If you want to start a franchise in this day and age, you need to make a high-quality first entry. It's not like the 360 era where gamers are so desperate for HD graphics that franchises like Assassin's Creed can spring from a shit debut game.

giphy.gif

The first game was fucking amazing. The problem was the Tech Test played nothing like Titanfall 1, they were practically two completely different games, thus Xbox gamers who loved the first one pretty much completely lost interest in 2.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Is this trying to say a thousand units sold? because I saw 113,000 people in Bounty Hunt playlist last night on PC.

TF2 is fantastic.

Surely you mean 13,000 ? I didn't see it go above 15,000 over the weekend.

Scrawnton

giphy.gif

The first game was fucking amazing. The problem was the Tech Test played nothing like Titanfall 1, they were practically two completely different games, thus Xbox gamers who loved the first one pretty much completely lost interest in 2.
That is pretty much my scenario. LOVED Titanfall 1. By the end of the first match of the T2 beta, I knew I wouldnt be buying this game.

Shows how important release windows are and how much damage these mega AAA games can do to games around them, even if those other games have better review scores.

You also have to remember how hard Microsoft pushed tutanfall 1. It was the focus of the entire xbox one console. It was insane marketing

Right now I wouldn't want to be the person that authorised the release date.

This was never going to touch or hurt CoD sales if that was the goal, which surely was the goal where is was released.

I wished I shared some people optimism for the title, but I don't. R6 shouldn't be used as the ray of hope because it was an outlier not the norm.

If I was Respawn seeing those numbers I'd be devastated and very angry if it wasn't them that put them in this situation in the first place.

Holy shit what? The article doesn't go into the fact the game came out on a Friday and used 1 days of sales also it is only using physical media to talley the numbers. More like clickbatefall, close the thread we are done here. If you want to see the hype about the game go to the titanfall thread.

Du2andal

Banned
EA did such a terrible job marketing this game that I have to believe they are trying to Oddworld this thing. Sink a major game, put the developer in financial straights, and try to scoop them up for a bargain price.

Maybe it is just simple incompetence and I am being cynical though.

Lucifon

giphy.gif

Yup the tech test killed a tonne of hype. The full game is vastly improved, but some people have already made their mind up.

That is pretty much my scenario. LOVED Titanfall 1. By the end of the first match of the T2 beta, I knew I wouldnt be buying this game.

And you absolutely shouldn't judge the game based on that test alone. Honestly the final game is TF1 but significantly better and more fleshed out. Game is awesome, campaign and multiplayer.

Kathian

Banned
Terrible. And not all on EA. The first game didn't do enough to build a loyal fan base and the beta burned what they had managed to build.

This is my case too, love the first one but the beta. From what I've read the game is great but I need to try it to see if I still enjoy it. That's why EA Access is so important and that is your fault Respawn.

T-0800

Maybe the people who bought the first game were disappointed in it enough that they had no interest in a sequel. Who knows.

UK:TF's first week sales on XB1 is more than the double amount TF2 sold on PS4&XB1

Um...isn't that almost inevitable when you release your game at approximately the same time as all of the other high profile games including BF1 and COD with no marketing? Why do companies keep doing this tactic and expect the games to sell really well in the face of competition?

Kordelle

This is my case too, love the first one but the beta. From what I've read the game is great but I need to try it to see if I still enjoy it. That's why EA Access is so important and that is your fault Respawn.
Yeah it's dumb, but you could rent it or watch some multiplayer videos. Hated the beta but the full is really good.

That's a travesty if true :( Game is so good, genuinely so good, and currently has a very consumer friendly approach to DLC in a world where DLC models are getting grosser and grosser.

Yeah, that's the sad part about all this - they've taken a very pro-consumer attitude to DLC so I don't want to see it flop, although it's not really on my radar as I'm not much of a multiplayer fan.

I suppose EA didn't expect such a positive response with BF1, more likely they were unsure about the seeing and had Titanfall 2 as back up plan. Given how good BF1 is doing, they probably don't mind Titanfall 2 doing bad.

I seriously doubt they spent $20+ million developing (and probably the same again in marketing) this game only to 'not mind' if it's a sales disappointment.

Does a full week of sales matter that much? Surely the vast majority of people buying week 1 would have pre ordered?

It would make a difference, but probably not a huge difference. You'll see next week it'll have a steep percentage drop like most big new releases.

TF2 is fantastic.

Hardly anywhere in the UK sells physical PC games any more. The vast majority of its sales on the platform will have been digital copies.

Holy shit what? The article doesn't go into the fact the game came out on a Friday and used 1 days of sales also it is only using physical media to talley the numbers. More like clickbatefall, close the thread we are done here. If you want to see the hype about the game go to the titanfall thread.

Read a bit more into the thread. It's 3 days vs 7 days besides wouldn't have made a great lot of difference, but those were actually 25% of the originals sales. GAF does not represent the whole market.

T.O.P

Banned
Sucks to hear :(

Did my part and bought an X1 copy this morning, can't wait to start the campaign, heard amazing things :)

WTF is this? A game that's fantastic in both MP and SP deserves to fail and such? You really love your CoD that much?? Seriously, some of the people allowed to post on GAF make my head scratch. It's like trolls that know how to type.

The world doesn't need another CoD clone.

I still think I'm in the minority, but I didn't feel any urge to buy the sequel when I can't remember a thing about the campaign of the first game. I'm aware the campaign this time around is so much more, but my emotional investment should have started back at the original Titanfall.

I'll eventually play the game, but not at full price and not while I have other games to play... like Luigi's Mansion 2!

big_z

I have interest in TF2 but battlefield is my main shooter so its the one I picked up. I cant devote time across multiple shooters or even games these days. They should have waited for spring when things slow down and people are looking for something to jump into.

A) It's not one day of sales. OP needs to remove that because it's false, and B) you can't use "but digital" as a defence as we know nothing about digital sales, and even if it had uncharacteristically high digital adoption (say 50%) that would still put it around 100k sales at best, which is significantly down on the first game's sales just on Xbone, not accounting for digital sales for that title.

They barely got people excited over it. Have you seen the hype for TF2? No.

^^^This. Prepare for Titanfall was literally an internet meme before the launch of Titanfall 1. The BWW and Doritos promotion isn't quite the same thing. Hopefully word of mouth will spread because this game has WAY more meat on its bones than the original.

I'm guessing you haven't played it yet given your "clone" comment. Yeah, good luck with your weapon variants and supply drops in Infinite Warfare.

The majority of COD sales right now are Legacy Editions, the standard edition is actually doing pretty badly on all Amazon lists. People don't care about Infinite Warfare microtransactions or anything else when they're really buying Modern Warfare Remastered with some silly space game attached to it.

For the COD audience, Titanfall is the thing that COD copied and is the reason COD is now bad.

Word of mouth is good. I think overall it's going to be ok. Still a shame though.

I haven't bought any of the shooters this year but I will be buying Titanfall 2 over CoD and Battlefield thanks to the apparently very good single player.

Top Bottom