• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK will not block death sentance for British IS Terrorists

Nicktendo86

This story relates to two of the British 'Beatles' IS jihadists, in an unprecedented move the Home Secretary Sajid Javid agreed with the then Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson to hand over intelligence to aid with the trial of the two individuals without seeking guarantees that they will not face the death penalty. Predictably there has been some criticism of that over here in the UK but, personally, I think most members of the public would back Javid & Johnson.

BBC said:
The UK will not block use of the death penalty by the US in the case of two men who are accused of being Islamic State members, the home secretary says.
In a letter to the US attorney general, leaked to the Telegraph, Sajid Javid said the UK will seek no assurances that the pair will not be executed.
Alexanda Kotey and El Shafee Elsheikh were captured in Syria in January.
Number 10 said the PM was aware of the letter and discussions with the US on this issue were continuing. Shami Chakrabarti, Labour's shadow attorney general, said Mr Javid had "secretly and unilaterally abandoned Britain's opposition to the death penalty" and appeared to be encouraging "this grave human rights abuse".

BBC said:
Kotey and Elsheikh were members of the IS cell with two others from west London - Mohammed Emwazi, nicknamed "Jihadi John", and Aine Davis.
The group were radicalised in the UK before travelling to Syria, where they became infamous for their executions of Western hostages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44921910

klosos

Good , they left Britain to commit atrocities in Syria , so let the Syrian law judge them. If that's the death penalty then so be it.

Good, bring back capital punishment I say.

But only for the most severe crimes. Like serial killers, acts of treason, terrorism etc. And only when the forensic evidence is overwhelming.

Panda1

Banned
What about their human rights? Surely if they are British then the government is not acting properly and how dare US execute UK citizens, this would never ever happen the other way around!

They gave up their rights when they gave up their humanity... They probably want death now. Give them some good old fashioned suffering.

Nicktendo86

But only for the most severe crimes. Like serial killers, acts of treason, terrorism etc. And only when the forensic evidence is overwhelming.

I've never been in favour of the death penalty personally but when I read stories of young children being raped and murdered I find it very hard to disagree with capital punishment. For those sorts of crimes I would bet there would be popular support for a reintroduction.

Makariel

I'm against capital punishment, hence I'm a little sad about just how many cheerleaders the death penalty seems to have.

What about their human rights?
According to ECHR:
"Article 2 – Right to life
1 everyone's right to life shall be protected by law. No one shall be deprived of his life intentionally save in the execution of a sentence of a court following his conviction of a crime for which this penalty is provided by law."

As soon as they joined ISIS they are as good as dead. Keeping them alive means that they might join ISISv2 in the future and continue their actions.

Kadayi

Banned
Generally I'm against death penalties as a rule but having seen some of the grotesque atrocities committed by ISIS I'm of the opinion that those who knowingly and willingly align themselves with it have stepped beyond the confines of fair judgement.

Alfadawg

Banned
There are double standards at work here.

These guys are war criminals and need to be treated as such, if that means death, then that's they way it goes.

But what about all the US and UK soldiers who have commited war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq?

When will they get their justice?

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Hard for me to have any sympathy for people like this. Hopefully Cucked Sweden comes to the same conclusion and ships the terrorists they are coddling by to Syria for their just desserts.

JimboJones

There are double standards at work here.

These guys are war criminals and need to be treated as such, if that means death, then that's they way it goes.

But what about all the US and UK soldiers who have commited war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq?

When will they get their justice?

If they are lucky, maybe in about 30 years. There are still trials going on in N.Ireland over shit the British forces got up to during the troubles

Alfadawg

Banned
We can only pray that justice is brought.

The UK soldier that was caught executing a Taliban solder and then boasting about it on camera only got a few years rather than being executed.

And only the other week, trump pardoned those white terrorists for no good reason.

B_Signal

the problem with that is we don't have that standard. You're guilty or not guilty, and, assuming it's a jury trial, only the jury know the reasons. And that's before you factor in innocent people being found guilty.

If you're for the death penalty you have to accept the state is going to kill innocent people, there's no way around that other than hope, luck, and wishful thinking

ILLtown

One thing I'm a bit confused about is this - In Javid's letter to Sessions he said the following: -

I am of the view that there are strong reasons for not requiring a death penalty assurance in this specific case, so no such assurances will be sought.

But what are those "strong reasons"? Anyone know?

Last edited:
the problem with that is we don't have that standard. You're guilty or not guilty, and, assuming it's a jury trial, only the jury know the reasons. And that's before you factor in innocent people being found guilty.

If you're for the death penalty you have to accept the state is going to kill innocent people, there's no way around that other than hope, luck, and wishful thinking

Well that is why I would change the ‘rules’ and have much stricter guidelines and requirements of evidence for proving ones guilt. And again, it would only be for people like serial killers or serial rapists. Not single murderers.

As it stands now there are certainly none of those who are doing life in prison falsely. Falsely convicted serial killers just isn’t a thing in today’s age. With even stricter evidence requirements it should be impossible to get the death penalty unjustly.

B_Signal

Well that is why I would change the ‘rules’ and have much stricter guidelines and requirements of evidence for proving ones guilt. And again, it would only be for people like serial killers or serial rapists. Not single murderers.

As it stands now there are certainly none of those who are doing life in prison falsely. Falsely convicted serial killers just isn’t a thing in today’s age. With even stricter evidence requirements it should be impossible to get the death penalty unjustly.

you've already got to have 'beyond reasonable doubt'. I'm no expert, there's probably someone who could go in to detail, but you can't really define it stricter than that, particularly if you want anyone to be found guilty. I think that's why the death penalty was scrapped rather than the rules altered

Top Bottom