• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UKIP allegedly having financial problems, now has no HQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ukip insiders have confirmed the party has vacated its central London office and no one has “bothered looking for a new one”, leaving the troubled party without a headquarters.

A spokesman for Ukip told The Independent that while the party made use of the large office on Great Smith Street, Westminster, during the EU referendum campaign, it would now be “deeply irresponsible” to continue using members’ money to fund it, given the reduced operation and staffing.

“We’re in peace time now – not war time,” they added, confirming they left the premises early last week.

The Independent understands that a decision on relocating to a new office falls with the leader of the party and, as a result, it could be before the end of November before a new headquarters is found for the Eurosceptic party.

The party spokesman also dismissed suggestions they had been “kicked out” of their central London offices for financial reasons, adding that it was a “silly” claim and that some people are “talking through their hats”.

Raheem Kassam, who has put his name forward for the party’s leadership, and, importantly, has his own office in Westminster, added: “I’ve got no reason to pretend Ukip has more money than it does – but Ukip is not destitute.”

Mr Kassam said the landlord of the property in central London had “terminated the contract” and the party had not “bothered looking for a new one” while everyone was concentrating their efforts on the recent leadership contest.

One senior party source added that while they would “quite like” an office they were happy, for the time being, with their own “filing cabinet and a computer attached to the internet”.

“I don’t need six desks – I may be fat and messy, but I don’t need six desks.”

The party has been consumed with chaos in recent weeks after the newly elected leader Diane James resigned after just 18 days in the job, saying she had enjoyed members’ support but not party colleagues. Then Steven Woolfe, who was favourite to take the reins of the party, dramatically quit the party, branding it “ungovernable” and in a “death spiral”.

Mr Woolfe – who spent three nights in hospital after a row with a party colleague – said he was resigning from a party that had “elected politicians fighting each other”. And in recent days it has been reported that one of the party’s biggest donors, Aaron Banks, has been threatening to walk away.

A friend of Mr Banks told the Telegraph the millionaire is "absolutely" considering leaving the party, adding: "Now it is up in the air. He is not going to put any money in now – he is sick of it, absolutely sick of it."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...nigel-farage-financial-problems-a7374126.html

BigDes

Oh no how tragic

It would truly be a shame for these shining beacons of British values to have to disband.

Jotaka

iP42wHz.gif

Lkr

What about the money they save every week by leaving the EU? Or did all of that already go to the NHS

jelly

Too bad they won in the end and the Tories are becoming like them.

Torres want their voters for the next election.

Maybe the UKIP MEPs who have done sod all but pick up their pay can donate their salery to the cause. You get more for your euros now too!

While on the face of it, it might seem like a good thing for UKIP to fuck off, they do generate a (limited) power vacuum that benefits the left as they split the Conservative vote and have effectively rendered the BNP obsolete.

Dougald

Couldn't this have happened last year?

I suppose they won't be getting so many donations now they have achieved their single-issue goal

BigDes

It is amusing but they were kind of irrelevant now that the Tories have decided that nationalism is awesome.

Well UKIP is practically irrelevant now anyway, they achieved their primary goal and have been struggling for a reason to exist ever since.

Achieved its ridiculous dream and now it dies. Would of been better if it had died before the vote and all this infighting which has tore it apart was known about earlier.

All those people who believed in UKIP and voted for them in the election now have nothing.

Is America now more liberal than the UK? The alt-right seems to have got a lot of what they wanted with the nationalistic and nativist tone the government is putting forward. It's telling when UKIP members move to defect to the Tories because they like what they're hearing.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Good.

Haven't they achieved their goal anyways? Literally named after leaving the EU

Okay what is the context of that Farage GIF? I've seen it so many times...

Farage gave a speech right after the results of the Brexit vote which was full of BS.

Highlights include telling the government worked that they've never worked a real job when the man behind him was a neurosurgeon for years.

Jezbollah

All those votes ain't gonna go Labour. I wonder how much more of a majority the Conservatives would have in a UKIP-less election?

I saw a stat that said if half the UKIP vote went, that would make an additional 40 seats very winnable for the Tories in the next election (pre 2018 boundaries). I suspect they're looking at Labour voters who voted UKIP in the last election as having taken a "gateway drug" before they straight up voted blue.

PJV3

They can stop pretending to be not Tories and rejoin the party, push them to the right and hopefully cause some kind of realignment eventually.

Or we ride this train into right wing nationalistic hell.

Probably the latter.

kitch9

Banned
Is America now more liberal than the UK? The alt-right seems to have got a lot of what they wanted with the nationalistic and nativist tone the government is putting forward. It's telling when UKIP members move to defect to the Tories because they like what they're hearing.

The Democrats are further right than the UK's conservatives in quite a few areas.

So basically everyone fighting for brexit, won, pissed off into oblivion and have left everyone else to clean up the mess... Greeaaaat.

Edit.

Although im glad they are dying. Just bitter about the brexit still. Such a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom