• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UMD questions

I just got Hitch on UMD and as much as i like watching Films on my PSP it feels a bit bad to actually not be able to play your UMD movies on a bigger screen when you have friends over.

i dont reallt want to buy Hitch again on a normal DVD just so i can watch it on my TV

so my question for you is:

Is there a way to hook up your PSP to your TV and watch the UMD films on your TV set?

owning UMD films is a plus as i can watch them on my PSP when i travel but it would also be SUPER SWEET if i could watch them on my normal TV aswell.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Buy DVD
Buy large capacity Memory Stick
Rip Movie
Encode in PSP movie format
ENJOY

olubode said:
Buy DVD
Buy large capacity Memory Stick
Rip Movie
Encode in PSP movie format
ENJOY

hmmm thats a great idea!

but it is reallt stupid by sony not to let the PSP be able to hook up to the tv so you can enjoy the UMDs on your tv set

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
robertsan21 said:
well i didnt see any ports that lets you insert a UMD movie on the PS3

Well, they could release an external UMD player that plugs into a USB port or something.

dem

umd is stupid
in 5 years are you going to be carrying around your stupid outdated psp to watch these dumb umd movies?

Buy a portable dvd player and be done with it. UMD is going NOWHERE

robertsan21 said:
hmmm thats a great idea!

but it is reallt stupid by sony not to let the PSP be able to hook up to the tv so you can enjoy the UMDs on your tv set

You do realize that a UMD video would look like complete ass blown up to the size of a TV screen, right?

The memory stick option is much better. Buy the DVD and just rip it yourself.

Sho Nuff said:
Plug in the included video cable...DUH

haha there was no video cable included

Strikerobi:
yes i guess so :(

oh well i guess the best way to go around this is to buy normal DVD´s and rip them on to the memorystick

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
StrikerObi said:
You do realize that a UMD video would look like complete ass blown up to the size of a TV screen, right?

The memory stick option is much better. Buy the DVD and just rip it yourself.

Aren't UMD movies stored at twice the resolution of the PSP screen though? I think someone mentioned that way back...

aoi tsuki

Kiriku said:
Aren't UMD movies stored at twice the resolution of the PSP screen though? I think someone mentioned that way back...
Hasn't been confirmed, but it seems to make sense considered the fact that almost all movies designed for the PSP screen would fit on a UMD, not two like many movies out there. i wouldn't be surprised to see Sony release UMD players in a year or so.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Jade Knight 08 said:
I assume the PS3 will support the format will it not? If so, don't worry then! If not, too bad!

PS3 won't support UMD discs. Sony's making a huge mistake if they don't start letting other companies make players, otherwise the format is never going to be viable for movies. At the very least, maybe Sony should start bundling UMD versions in with their Sony Pictures DVDs. I can't imagine that people are buying the UMD versions exclusively.

Agent X

StrikerObi said:

From what it says here, UMD video is stored at 720x480 resolution, the same as DVD video. The PSP screen isn't 720x480, but it doesn't need to be--most portable DVD players aren't 720x480, either.

Joeholley

I don't know if it's the same on the US UMD releases (haven't bought one yet), but the JP UMD's focus on the back of the box that it will play on any 'UMD Player'. In fact, the spine doesn't say PSP, it says 'UMD Video', and has a different color scheme. They've definately left open room for speculation. Are the US releases the same?

UMD is not a failure, considering how well they've been selling and there hasn't even been much of anything noteworthy for it yet. Its success will be entirely dependent on the PSP's userbase.

I don't see why Sony down the line wouldn't sell some kind of video cable. Sounds like an easy way for Sony to make a lot of cash on an accessory, if a good number of people buy it. I know I'd get a cable.

Didn't the Nomad have a video cable for it?

Joeholley said:
I don't know if it's the same on the US UMD releases (haven't bought one yet), but the JP UMD's focus on the back of the box that it will play on any 'UMD Player'. In fact, the spine doesn't say PSP, it says 'UMD Video', and has a different color scheme. They've definately left open room for speculation. Are the US releases the same?

I don't see why UMD would be exclusive to PSP. PSP is just the trojan horse needed. Sony can tie in the UMD as hard as they can to the PSP for their devices:

"With this UMD burner, you can burn your favorite MP3s on UMD and take them with you on your PSP."

I wouldn't doubt that the PSP 2 would be a SUMD that would be BC with UMD and would several times the size of UMDs.

Although according to GAF, its an autoflop for no apparent reason.

Troidal

I doubt we'll see UMD-Rs for a while.
Sony is keeping it exclusively for themselves to manufacture.

Even third-party developers don't have such device and need to send the ROM data to Sony to be burned onto UMDs.

But, that might change in time hopefully..

Nos_G

Sony needs to just release a HiMD sized UMD player and shut all these haters... but I guess that will dig into the PSP sales quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm sure Sony won't let this format go the way of Beta.

ManaByte

Troidal said:
I doubt we'll see UMD-Rs for a while.
Sony is keeping it exclusively for themselves to manufacture.

Even third-party developers don't have such device and need to send the ROM data to Sony to be burned onto UMDs.

But, that might change in time hopefully..

Nope, you'll see UMD-Rs on high-end VAIO systems where there used to be a MD slot because Sony hopes UMD will do what MD never was able to do in the US.

Top Bottom