• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves gets TEN awards at AIAS including GOTY

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
grumble said:
I did not know Mark Hamill was the voice actor for the Joker in B:AA. He was really good.

Doyourself a favorite and run out and get the Batman: TAS dvd set and watch it.

Dennis

Banned
Wario64 said:
Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year

Brutal Legend

* Publisher: Electronic Arts
* Developer: Double Fine Productions
* Producer: Caroline Esmurdoc
* Creative Director: Tim Schafer
* Game Director: Tim Schafer

Action Game of the Year

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

* Publisher: Activision
* Developer: Infinity Ward
* Producer: Mark Rubin
* Game Director: Jason West
:lol :lol :lol

Awards invalidated!

Ecto311

Used google to search and can't find a better place for this.

Does anyone know where or what gamepro said about Jay Mohr because his twitter is on fire with "fuck gamepro" comments.

Truespeed

Ecto311 said:
Used google to search and can't find a better place for this.

Does anyone know where or what gamepro said about Jay Mohr because his twitter is on fire with "fuck gamepro" comments.

From his twitter:
I then spoke with them on the red carpet and took photos. Then today they write up an article that says I made an idiot of myself at show.

::sigh:: There are far many more deserving games of the AIAS GOTY award than Uncharted 2... but I guess its a little hard to get past the well done presentation of the game. Ah well, maybe the awards will mean a little more for me next year.

Safe Bet

Banned
DennisK4 said:
:lol :lol :lol

Awards invalidated!
I can't speak on Brutal legend, but no one can deny MW2 is filled from beginning to end with "action".

AzureNightmare said:
There are far many more deserving games of the AIAS GOTY award than Uncharted 2
It'd be nice to back this statement up with examples of what you think are better games and why you think so.

SmokyDave

ICallItFutile said:
Another Uncharted 2 circle jerk I see.
The fact that you read the thread title and then came in and posted that anyway tells me you probably haven't played UC2 and that it burns you inside. I imagine you look out of your window in the evening, swilling the last of the whisky in the tumbler and gritting your teeth just hating all those happy people out there with their stupid game. You'll show 'em one day champ.

AzureNightmare said:
::sigh:: There are far many more deserving games of the AIAS GOTY award than Uncharted 2... but I guess its a little hard to get past the well done presentation of the game. Ah well, maybe the awards will mean a little more for me next year.
:lol :lol
Where do we find you crazy cats?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
as resident massive Xbot and PS3/sony hater, i can say hand on heart that Uncharted 2 was the best game of last year by an absolute country mile.

that is all.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Whining about Uncharted 2 getting its due thanks to it being completely fuck awesome?

Really?

hatersgonnahate.gif

MYE

ICallItFutile said:
Another Uncharted 2 circle jerk I see.

I also dont get all the praise :lol

Always had the feeling that this is one of those franchises that will lose its "impact" once the eye candy wears off.

Not saying that its bad, ND is awesome. But 10 awards and multiple GOTYs? why?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Always had the feeling that this is one of those franchises that will lose its "impact" once the eye candy wears off.

here's my take -

Uncharted 1 was good, but merely good - it was over hyped and had a host of problems, not least the characters. It was hyped to heavens by Sony fans.

Uncharted 2 - absolute rollercoaster of fun, with great combat, much more refined characters, a story that was a least more interesting, great situations, excellent online.

I can say that once the eye candy wears off you are STILL left with an extremely fun single player and a surprisingly robust multiplayer.

I have NO IDEA why people continue to hate on it.

What were your personal down points on the game?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Uncharted (both games really, but even moreso with the second) are just gaming at it's purest, with insane graphics and a great story and music to boot. They're not supposed to be a very deep experience, they're pop-corn action movies, and to me Among Thieves reminded me of a mix between Die Hard and Indiana Jones. Only one character has ever taken that much of a beating in a movie, and that's Bruce Willis/John McClane/theyippeekiyaymotherfucker.

MYE

DCharlie said:
Uncharted 2 - absolute rollercoaster of fun, with great combat, much more refined characters, a story that was a least more interesting, great situations, excellent online.

I can say that once the eye candy wears off you are STILL left with an extremely fun single player and a surprisingly robust multiplayer.

I have NO IDEA why people continue to hate on it.

What were your personal down points on the game?

Wait a minute, i'm not hating on it.
My post was made with all these awards, GOTYs and extremely positive articles and editorials that call UC2 a "game changer", and other hyperbolic statements, in mind.

These are good games, they have high production values and are obviously very polished (its ND). They deserve good reviews but i really fail to see why the party is so damn loud whenever i look past the presentation, because it really does absolutely nothing new.

As good as it is, this game will probably be another victim of hype once the impressive presentation wears off. I dont think it will be another MGS4, but in retrospective, people will probably wonder what the hell they where thinking.

Again, not saying its bad.

reKon

Banned
find me games that came out before Uncharted 2, which executed every aspect (character design, environments, story, characters, voice acting, music, sound effects, writing, animations) very well just like Uncharted did.

Oni Jazar said:
Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year
Brutal Legend
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Halo Wars
The Sims 3
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2
Just read up on this. This made me laugh so hard. These people can't be for real :lol .

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
rhino4evr said:
actually surprised that Demon Souls didnt win...
I'm surprised Demon's Souls was even nominated. AIAS requires that every nomination be from a paying corporate member, and Atlus is not one of them. I can only assume that Sony is responsible for getting the game in anyways as some kind of exception.

Man

grandjedi6 said:
I'm surprised Demon's Souls was even nominated. AIAS requires that every nomination be from a paying corporate member, and Atlus is not one of them. I can only assume that Sony is responsible for getting the game in anyways as some kind of exception.
That's how far the true Game of the Generation came without paying. If Atlus had paid they would have wiped the floor with Aias awards.

slewis7

My GOTY was Demon's Souls, and nothing else was close. I only played UC2 single player, and while I loved the presentation I just didn't enjoy the gameplay very much at all. I just wanted to finish the game and move on to something else.

reKon said:
find me games that came out before Uncharted 2, which executed every aspect (character design, environments, story, characters, voice acting, music, sound effects, writing, animations) very well just like Uncharted did.

Uncharted 2 could be the best example in history of a near-perfect execution of an existing game design (Tomb Raider).

Its innovations are few, but its execution is best-in-class.

Congrats Naughty Dog. I am enjoying the game greatly. :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Definitely well-deserved, the graphics were aesthetically pleasing (actually has color, no ridiculous bloom or silly-looking plasticky bump-mapping on everything) and the gameplay was extremely smooth, I really enjoyed my time spent with UC2 (OK, except for a few of the firefights against
the yeti, and later on, their human form
and the annoying final battle), and even what little I played of the multi was fun. Several of my friends bought a PS3 recently so I have been pimping the game to them.

I still need to go back and give UC1 a try (was a bit disappointed with its demo when I played it a while back), I'm just worried there's no way it's even gonna get close to #2.

Salazar

TheListener said:
Uncharted 2 could be the best example in history of a near-perfect execution of an existing game design (Tomb Raider).

You do both Uncharted and Tomb Raider an obtuse disservice by saying this.

Top Bottom