• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Marketing Push is HUGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinballRJ

Damit now I want a grinder
n5lnvE.gif

You sure about that? This is an expensive game. I remember Gaf raving about how the Witcher 3 only cost like $12,000,000 to make but then it was later revealed to be at around $80,000,000. Having top talent in a studio in Santa Monica doesn't come cheap. This is at least a cool one hundred mil after marketing.

You sure you're not getting the TW2 budget confused with TW3's? I don't recall the $12 million number being floated for TW3.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
meh. they will spend $50 million marketing a game that was always going to sell millions instead of saving a fantastic studio like Evolution Studios.

Sony has got its priorities all screwed up.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You sure about that? This is an expensive game. I remember Gaf raving about how the Witcher 3 only cost like $12,000,000 to make but then it was later revealed to be at around $80,000,000. Having top talent in a studio in Santa Monica doesn't come cheap. This is at least a cool one hundred mil after marketing.

All three Uncharted games cost $20 million each. This one was in development for longer than the others, but ND isn't a massive studio. It's probably close to SSM's size now which should put it around the $44 million range of God of War 3. No way in hell it cost $80-100 million.

The Argus

You sure you're not getting the TW2 budget confused with TW3's? I don't recall the $12 million number being floated for TW3.

100% sure. Maybe the original people pushing that number were confusing it for TW2s budget. But this number (maybe it was 15, but still) was definitely being dropped in Witcher 3 topics. Their whole point was that Western games had bloated budgets. I really don't know what to search for unfortunately, but I'll try and dig something up on mobile.

All three Uncharted games cost $20 million each. This one was in development for longer than the others, but ND isn't a massive studio. It's probably close to SSM's size now which should put it around the $44 million range of God of War 3. No way in hell it cost $80-100 million.

This gen is way more expensive to develop for though, and this game is way bigger and asset rich than GOW3. That said my 100,000,000 dollar number includes marketing which usually makes up half a total budget for big movie and game releases. I'm not including manufacturing and shipping which also adds up.

Astral Dog

meh. they will spend $50 million marketing a game that was always going to sell millions instead of saving a fantastic studio like Evolution Studios.

they want their top dog to sell big, less risk, maximun profit,more brand awareness, more PS4s sold, happy fanboys.etc.
it makes sense to me,other games like RC are there to push diversity.

Astral Dog

when did this happen :O

The Argus

when did this happen :O

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-is-how-much-the-witcher-3-cost-to-make/1100-6430409/

They're in the black. Modern games are very expensive, we've been in the Hollywood budget era for awhile now. Sure you can make cheap ones, just like you can make cheap movies. But big blockbusters come with a huge budget and an even bigger marketing strategy.

This is a pretty cool (though now slightly dated) look at the film industry side of budgets and costs: http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=8353

That seems like a false equivalence. Sure, Uncharted will do well. But the mainstream audience needs to hear about it for those numbers to happen.

There also wasn't much saving Evolution. Sony realized they didn't need two 'driving game' studios.

ND is rather big now over 350 were working on UC4.
About 120 or so work on the other UC games.
This game will easy cost around that much will marketing added in .

https://twitter.com/PlayStationUK/status/725018283964043272

This tweet suggests that this is the first time they've ever changed the ads to anything other than just PlayStation.

So that's significant.

damn makes sense, first time for me seeing it as well (since back then was hard to watch these matches and i wasnt into internet)

btw, i know you guys dont see it as a biggie but this is probably the biggest event on football (or any other sport) second to the World Cup
probably

Marketing will make a game like this go from 6 million sales to like 12 million.

It's not at all wasted money. Not everyone visits GAF.

This is one of, if not the, greatest looking games ever made. If Sony does not spend a crap ton advertising it even if just for that fact, they would be absolutely idiots.

Drac84

Saw the UC4 cinematic trailer shown before Batman v Superman, and the TV spot aired during the Hawks v Crows AFL game on Friday night.

Kazooie

Banned
Bruce Straley was there too
This is the final piece of the jigsaw.

The Last of Us 2 is going to start in the North West of post apocalyptic England in the year 2016, following Yaya Toure as he desperately traverses the continent looking for the fabled cake which will cure all infected.

shandy706

PlayStation is an official sponsor of the Champions League i think. This isn't surprising to me.

Although i think it's too much to have it even on Amazon shipping pouches.

Haha, I was going to point out you see Xbox ads in US soccer all the time. Not sure that means a bigger push.

However, Uncharted 4 literally just showed up in a Hulu ad as I was watching it X-D.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yea Uncharted 4 is probably the closest thing to Halo 3 levels of advertisement, mail packaging, lock screens, buses, live sports, theaters...etc. They just needed something as huge and magical as Starry Night, damn that would've been epic, since their tag line is very similar too, "Finish the fight" for Halo 3, "A thief's end" for Uncharted 4.

Quotient

"The UEFA Champions League last year drew a global audience of 380 million viewers, while Super Bowl XLIX had the attention of 114 million viewers, a record for US television."

To be clear we are talking about one game versus a season of football. Regardless the champions league is immensely popular across the globe.

Zackat

Are you kidding me? Do you even know what Champions League is?

For real though this. I believe the Champion's League final is one of the most watched TV broadcasts worldwide every single year.

That being said you see a lot of PS4 adds every match, they just put the uncharted there instead to get the double bonus. They smart.

sflufan

Banned
Man, Sony is really taking a risk with advertising a niche product like Uncharted 4 during a major European soccer match.

That takes some SERIOUS balls!

derExperte

Man, Sony is really taking a risk with advertising a niche product like Uncharted 4 during a major European soccer match.

That takes some SERIOUS balls!

Especially when you consider that they're using ad-space they usually use to advertise for the PS4. Daring. Monumental. HUGE.

I think there has been playstation advertising in every match I've seen in the champions league this year because Sony are one of the official sponsors. They are may sharing some of the line with their biggest first party game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom